Will leaving Titleist hurt Rory McIlroy's game? His 5 biggest hurdles

[quote name='SundayBag' timestamp='1351642116' post='5869719']
i just hope he doesn't go with TMag. I'm tired of them buying young golfers. I know nike would be doing the same but at least they need him.
I know it won't happen, but how great would it be if he went with ping? he could use his driver, he couple play a milled, non grooved, non insert putter, titleist balls, and ping might finally come out with some blades :P
[/quote]

Being a ping player myself, I would love to see that or any big name guy sign with ping, we know that will never happen. My question to you is why would he still play hid driver and not a ping i20, anser, or some ping model. every ping player I know uses a ping driver. I could be wrong just wondered if you knew something id didn't.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='abass1' timestamp='1351785664' post='5877651']
i just hope he doesn't go with TMag. I'm tired of them buying young golfers. I know nike would be doing the same but at least they need him.
I know it won't happen, but how great would it be if he went with ping? he could use his driver, he couple play a milled, non grooved, non insert putter, titleist balls, and ping might finally come out with some blades :P
[/quote]

Being a ping player myself, I would love to see that or any big name guy sign with ping, we know that will never happen. My question to you is why would he still play hid driver and not a ping i20, anser, or some ping model. every ping player I know uses a ping driver. I could be wrong just wondered if you knew something id didn't.
[/quote]

It won't happen, however you see a lot of PING hats on all tours. Bubba Watson, Lee Westwood, Hunter Mahan also, look in the bags of professional golfers, there are PING clubs in the bags of a lot of players that are not getting paid to play them......... Play your Best".

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

[quote name='pingman1' timestamp='1351787155' post='5877747']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It won't happen, however you see a lot of PING hats on all tours. Bubba Watson, Lee Westwood, Hunter Mahan also, look in the bags of professional golfers, there are PING clubs in the bags of a lot of players that are not getting paid to play them......... Play your Best".
[/quote]

Actually Ping is one of the most restrictive OEM's when it comes to having deals with them. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they won't contract someone to show a Ping bag unless the majority of their clubs are Ping. Seems to me that it was at least 12 clubs had to be Ping...and I remember reading where several pro's who used to represent them don't anymore because they wouldn't get on board with what the requirements were. I honestly don't remember what their deals are, and probably someone on the board does, but for some reason I remember that there was some lattitude allowed around the wedges...and that was pretty much it. By and large you have a equipment deal with them...they expect you to be using their woods, irons, and putter.

Nothing wrong with that I suppose...after all they are the ones shelling out the money. My bag is all ping...except for the putter because I just haven't found anything that can kick the Scotty out of the bag.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

[quote name='SlowRain' timestamp='1351793256' post='5878245']
[quote name='pingman1' timestamp='1351787155' post='5877747']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually Ping is one of the most restrictive OEM's when it comes to having deals with them. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they won't contract someone to show a Ping bag unless the majority of their clubs are Ping. Seems to me that it was at least 12 clubs had to be Ping...and I remember reading where several pro's who used to represent them don't anymore because they wouldn't get on board with what the requirements were. I honestly don't remember what their deals are, and probably someone on the board does, but for some reason I remember that there was some lattitude allowed around the wedges...and that was pretty much it. By and large you have a equipment deal with them...they expect you to be using their woods, irons, and putter.

Nothing wrong with that I suppose...after all they are the ones shelling out the money. My bag is all ping...except for the putter because I just haven't found anything that can kick the Scotty out of the bag.
[/quote]

For the last 5+ years Pings requirement has been 14 clubs in the bag.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

We have no idea how many clubs he would sign on to carry. Rory has changed plenty, at least within the Titleist offerings, which can have their own "persona" even within the same brand. He changed drivers a number of times. I swear he played the AP2's at one point and then went to the blades more recently? Author is not giving the largest, most financially successful sports company in the world (Nike) nearly enough credit in being able to grind him some wedges. I remember Paul Casey playing an all metal Nike milled proto for a while for his putter. Rory has changed putters in working with Stockton. The ball is the biggest change, and as mentioned, they have the resources to get him whatever he needs.

No, not an issue for Rors.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1351805509' post='5879305']
We have no idea how many clubs he would sign on to carry. Rory has changed plenty, at least within the Titleist offerings, which can have their own "persona" even within the same brand. He changed drivers a number of times. I swear he played the AP2's at one point and then went to the blades more recently? Author is not giving the largest, most financially successful sports company in the world (Nike) nearly enough credit in being able to grind him some wedges. I remember Paul Casey playing an all metal Nike milled proto for a while for his putter. Rory has changed putters in working with Stockton. The ball is the biggest change, and as mentioned, they have the resources to get him whatever he needs.

No, not an issue for Rors.
[/quote]

IIRC, when Woods (and, I think Duval) were under contract, Nike made a pretty big deal that they were not obligated to switch to Nike gear unless it worked for them.

Now I'm sure there was probably some fine print to get them there as quickly as possible and probably something that said once you make the swtich there's no turning back, but it wouldn't be a shock if they did something similar for McIlroy.

It's FAR more important to have a swoosh on his hat, shirt, shoes, glove, and bag than it is on his clubs or ball. Cover those and the vast majority of people will infer that he plays Nike gear. It's only golf propeller heads like us that pay attention to the actual gear.

If you think of Jim Furyk, what comes to mind first, 5 Hour Energy or Callaway?

I know a lot of people that pay little attention to golf but seeing McIlroy as me or someone else what the heck Jumeirah is because of his hat.

$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrdYeBQOrCSM0CQ~~60_14.JPGRory's new putter.

Stunning...

That putter is not very good looking. However, it rolls the rock well.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrdYeBQOrCSM0CQ~~60_14.JPGRory's new putter.

Stunning...

That putter is not very good looking. However, it rolls the rock well.

I'll take your word for it T-

Struggling with the color scheme to say the least...

Me too. LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I love the ongoing "this happens all the time on the pga tour" tired refrain about no matter what players are playing or switching to---they will continue to play their existing equipment just restamped.. They continue to repeat this as an absolute without any proof other than their own fantasy dreams. [b]No[/b] company is going to pay that much money to a player to use their equipment and then have someone (let alone the company the player just left) restamp his former equipment with a competitors logos. The ball claim is even more ridiculous and very easy to prove as someone could get ahold of one of these restamped balls (how many times a tournament does someone get beaned with a star players ball) and have it dissected..

In the past companies have made equipment for other companies such as Miura making some for TaylorMade, MacGregor and a few for Nike early on. MacGregor came the closest making Greg Norman's irons and stamping them Cobra for an individual. The difference is everyone knew this was going on and nobody was making their own model and restamping it with someone elses logos. They remained the original companies designs. The model MacGregor used for Norman's iron came from their custom department and after custom grinding looked nothing like what they were selling.

I don't think Rory will have any trouble adjusting to any of the clubs including the putter (Tiger's putter switch came long after his best putting days were behind him). The ball will be the biggest issue. The number of players who have had downturns in their careers are far greater than those who have gotten better after equipment switches.. Tiger came the closest switching to Nike but it took a long time to totally switch to Nike. A lot also has to do with where the players were age wise in their careers as well.. Phil, Sergio, Ernie, Davis, Graham certainly can't claim any improvement after the switches.

Not sure about Rory's advisors (other than pure money) looking at Nike. When I hear Nike I think of M. Vick, L. Armstrong, T Woods---certainly not in the class of a Rory McElroy.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1351825955' post='5880717']
I love the ongoing "this happens all the time on the pga tour" tired refrain about no matter what players are playing or switching to---they will continue to play their existing equipment just restamped.. They continue to repeat this as an absolute without any proof other than their own fantasy dreams. [b]No[/b] company is going to pay that much money to a player to use their equipment and then have someone (let alone the company the player just left) restamp his former equipment with a competitors logos. The ball claim is even more ridiculous and very easy to prove as someone could get ahold of one of these restamped balls (how many times a tournament does someone get beaned with a star players ball) and have it dissected..

In the past companies have made equipment for other companies such as Miura making some for TaylorMade, MacGregor and a few for Nike early on. MacGregor came the closest making Greg Norman's irons and stamping them Cobra for an individual. The difference is everyone knew this was going on and nobody was making their own model and restamping it with someone elses logos. They remained the original companies designs. The model MacGregor used for Norman's iron came from their custom department and after custom grinding looked nothing like what they were selling.

I don't think Rory will have any trouble adjusting to any of the clubs including the putter (Tiger's putter switch came long after his best putting days were behind him). The ball will be the biggest issue. The number of players who have had downturns in their careers are far greater than those who have gotten better after equipment switches.. Tiger came the closest switching to Nike but it took a long time to totally switch to Nike. A lot also has to do with where the players were age wise in their careers as well.. Phil, Sergio, Ernie, Davis, Graham certainly can't claim any improvement after the switches.

Not sure about Rory's advisors (other than pure money) looking at Nike. When I hear Nike I think of M. Vick, L. Armstrong, T Woods---certainly not in the class of a Rory McElroy.
[/quote]

Everyone thought Tiger was the golden child too until it bacame public knowledge that he likes to give it to waitresses in the pooper.

The funny thing about any hero is that if you put them on a high enough pedestal, they will fall and disappoint you.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I bet he will start shooting in the high 80s, his swing isnt that good anyways.

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

Someone much smarter than me can correct me but was there not a Nike video on this site that showed them using a Mizuno MP30 as a design guide?

With high level software, I'm sure they can copy the size specs of his irons and wedges, use the same steel and create the exact size clubs he's currently using. They'll just have to manage the forging process. Additionally, no one has mentioned something that may indeed happen. That is to take whomever Titleist was paying to make Rors clubs and have him create his Nike clubs.

And please, let's not start with Miura makes Tiger's clubs. That was not the intent of my post.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

I think his biggest issue will be the ball. Unless they specifically design a ball just for him, like Tiger, this may be a problem. The ball has been the biggest reason for other tour players for jumping ship from Nike. Now granted, their contracts were probably a fraction of what Rory's is, so they probably didn't have much leverage when it came to what they wanted and had to play what they were given. I doubt this would be the case with Rory, but you never know. The driver may be an issue as well.

I'll say its the Driver/Woods that gives him the most issues.

I agree the irons shouldn't be a big deal. It's a forged blade going to another forged blade. I really don't see a big deal with the putter. It's not like they can't make a copy, and its not like he'll have to play an insert. As for the ball- maybe. But it's still a golf ball, which will be exactly the same size, shape and weight. He'll take a little time getting used to how it behaves, but once learns it, I don't see it being such a big deal.

But he's so money with his driver and that 3 wood that he can nuke. If you're a little off with those clubs, you can hit a very penal shot. You see a lot of guys on tour refuse to change a driver/3 wood that works. Using clubs from companies that they don't endorse, using clubs that are many years old, staying loyal to the clubs of the same company they don't happen to endorse.

So I'll bet on driver and 3 wood.

I dont get the switch. Yes, he will probably earn more sponsorship dollars, but who cares he doesn't need the money. This game is about winning. Why is he messing with a good thing?

TM Stealth Plus 9.0 w/Ventus Black 6S

TSI 3 15.0 w/Ventus Red 7X
Callaway UW 17 degree w/ MMT 80S

Srixon ZX 3 Utility iron w/ Recoil 95S
Srixon ZX7 (Gap-8 iron), ZX5 (7-5 iron) w/Nippon Modus 120 S
Taylor Made MG2 54,58 Black w/black Nippon Modus 115S
Ping PLD DS72 @34 inches

[quote name='Whids' timestamp='1351986447' post='5887731']
I dont get the switch. Yes, he will probably earn more sponsorship dollars, but who cares he doesn't need the money. This game is about winning. Why is he messing with a good thing?
[/quote]

The most ever won in a single season is something like 10-11 million. He's probably got 6-10 mill in endorsements now. Who wouldn't take that money combined guaranteed for the next 10 years? Look at the way a guy ranked in the mid 100s plays if he's toward the top nowadays; It isn't about winning. He's playing safe hoping for a top 10 and a pay check. Rory wants Tiger money, less than 1% of us wouldnt take that.

[quote name='jay_dwight' timestamp='1351999690' post='5888477']
[/quote]

The most ever won in a single season is something like 10-11 million. He's probably got 6-10 mill in endorsements now. Who wouldn't take that money combined guaranteed for the next 10 years? Look at the way a guy ranked in the mid 100s plays if he's toward the top nowadays; It isn't about winning. He's playing safe hoping for a top 10 and a pay check. Rory wants Tiger money, less than 1% of us wouldnt take that.
[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more. Winning Majors is what's important on the PGA Tour. Endorsement deals will come in droves the more he wins. An equipment change just for the money is stupid.

TM Stealth Plus 9.0 w/Ventus Black 6S

TSI 3 15.0 w/Ventus Red 7X
Callaway UW 17 degree w/ MMT 80S

Srixon ZX 3 Utility iron w/ Recoil 95S
Srixon ZX7 (Gap-8 iron), ZX5 (7-5 iron) w/Nippon Modus 120 S
Taylor Made MG2 54,58 Black w/black Nippon Modus 115S
Ping PLD DS72 @34 inches

[/quote]

Are you saying you would turn down 200 million guaranteed dollars? I don't care if I had to swing a wooden hockey stick there's no way that is getting turned down.

Anyways, have you seen rory's practice facility? He is not going to struggle.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1352076943' post='5891629']
[/quote]

Are you saying you would turn down 200 million guaranteed dollars? I don't care if I had to swing a wooden hockey stick there's no way that is getting turned down.

Anyways, have you seen rory's practice facility? He is not going to struggle.
[/quote]

Agreed! I'd also venture to say that Rory has already got all of his new Nike equipment dialed in already for next season.