2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Preowned Review

goodoldgus

I've gotten back into golf after a several year layoff due to coaching baseball and raising a family. I played several rounds towards the end of the season and started to get the "itch" for something new so I decided it was time for a new set of irons. After tons of research on this forum and psychically hitting every iron in my price range ($800 or less) I decided on the Razr X irons. I wouldn't consider myself cheap, however I don't mind ordering items online to get the best deal or bang for my buck, so I did some further research came across Callaway Preowned. There are a few reviews already on this forum and everything sounded fairly positive. At least if there were problems, it sounded like they were solved with good customer service, which was important to me.

I ended up ordering a "Like New" set of Razr X irons 4-PW. Like New is the 2nd highest rating on the condition rating on their website, just below "Outlet" condition. I got a great deal since I took advantage of 20% promotion as well as free shipping! The "Like New" description reads: These clubs are nearly impossible to differentiate from new. They have been hit very few times, if at all, and show almost no wear. These clubs may have been refinished at some point.

The irons arrived a few days later and I opened up the box immediately to take a look at my new toys. Unfortunately, I wasn't seeing "like new" condition. For some reason, the heads had some black, greasy residue on them. Enough where I could wipe it off with my fingers. Then I noticed white paint smeared all over the face of the 5 iron. I didn't even bother pulling out the other clubs and I called customer service right away. The gentlemen I spoke to couldn't have been nicer. I expressed my concerns and he immediately said that I would get a new set. He said that "Like New" irons should be quote "in much better condition". So he emailed me a return label and sent out another set. I was very pleased with his service.

I received the second set of irons a few business days later and again the quality wasn't "like new". There were visible gouges and chunks taken out of several hosels and heals of the clubs. It almost looked like this set was dropped a time or two. Admittedly, I'm not the type of person to fly off the handle, call someone and give them an ear full, but I was really disappointed when I saw the condition of these clubs. Again, I called customer service and once again I received excellent service. I even asked them if my standards were TOO HIGH, but they assured me that this set of irons shouldn't have been labeled as "Like New". I explained to them that this was my SECOND set of irons that they've sent me, so the gentlemen told me he would personally hand pick a set to send me. Below is a picture of damage on one of the hosels:

Just yesterday, I receive my third set of irons. I could tell right from the beginning these were in much better condition than the first two sets, even without removing the plastic sleeves. No marks, no nicks, no dents, no extra paint. Just shiny, like new irons!! I was very relieved!

In closing, I'm actually pretty satisfied with my experience even though the first two sets of irons weren't what I ordered. It may have been a different story if it wasn't off-season here in Wisconsin or if I was desperate for new clubs. The customer service I received was outstanding and each person I dealt with did everything they could to make things right. I understand that mistakes happen, but it's how people or companies handle those mistakes is really what matters. I will not hesitate to use Callaway Preowned in the future.

Sorry for the long post, but I like to read reviews (good and bad) on these types of forums, so I wanted to return the favor.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you had to wait until your 3rd set to be satisfied...I had ordered several times from them over the past couple of years and when I got "like new" items, my husband and I both thought they looked like they had never been hit! Even bought lower-graded products and was pleasantly surprised. Often had brand new grips on them.
The key point you make is that you can depend on them working with you to a satisfactory conclusion. Certainly not the cheapest source for clubs, but I always felt that the service was worth paying a couple of bucks more. Good luck with your new sticks!

It's not how...it's how many

It's two bad this happened.

I recently purchased two used clubs from Callaway Pre Owned.

FT-iZ 5W & FT-iZ 4H.

I was amazed. The clubs came in with matching headcovers and they where NEW. I don't hink they were ever hit. VERY SATISFIED.

My only gripe is they don't ship to Canada. So I had to ship them to a friend in the US and then have them ship the clubs to me. Time lost and additional shipping fees. But very happy in the end.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

I buy quite a bit from them and yes, thier customer service is second to none.

However I have had the occasional 'less than described' condition issue here and there.

To be perfectly honest...... I prefer it. :) It adds a couple days to the process but I always end up with clubs above the grade I paid for. I'll take that option each and every time if given the chance.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

That's gotta be at the far end of the bad-experience range with Callaway Preowned. But hey, when it happens to you it happens to you, right? Glad it got sorted in the end.

In my experience the sweet spot in price is usually average or very good and they tend to price the Like New too much higher for my taste. But the Like New ones I've received have been good. I did get one set of irons that were Very Good and a single club in the set was a little beat up. But never anything like your experience (except for the one time they sent me a righty set when I ordered lefty, ooops!).

Hopefully you've used up all your bad "luck of the draw" and if you buy from them again it will go smoother.

That's the problem with sites such as Global golf, CPO, and 3balls. They use representation photos and leave it to the customer's interpretation of standards. Now I realize their large volume of clubs makes it tough to picture each set, but as a person who always uses their headcovers and is picky about my clubs, I have a tougher time buying clubs from these sites.

However, I will say the two times I have purcahsed from CPO, their clubs exceeded or met my standards.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

CPO is generally very conservative in their ratings and willing to bend over backwards to keep customers happy.

You seem to be looking for "new" at a preowned site, based on your photo, not visible at address, no effect on playability, so glad to hear they finally met your expectations.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1352303805' post='5903087']

FT-iZ 5W & FT-iZ 4H.

I was amazed. The clubs came in with matching headcovers and they where NEW. I don't hink they were ever hit. VERY SATISFIED.

My only gripe is they don't ship to Canada. So I had to ship them to a friend in the US and then have them ship the clubs to me. Time lost and additional shipping fees. But very happy in the end.
[/quote]

Since when?
I've ordered 4 seperate times from them this year and had everything delievered right to me.

Yeah, based on that photo that's the kind of thing I'd consider sort of borderline between Very Good and Like New. If the majority of the clubs were free of any obvious signs of wear and just one or two had that sort of not visible at address marks I'd consider Like New to be fair enough. A whole set of irons with little things like that, probably not.

About the black gunk, I've had that on a few clubs from CPO and have no idea what it is. Kind of annoying.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to clarify, the picture I posted is only one example of the damage I noticed on the 2nd set of irons. Three other irons (total of 4 out of 7) that had similar damage. If I compare that damage to the Condition Guide listed on CPO's website, those irons most certainly do not fall within the "Like New" rating. That's why I even asked customer service if my standards were "too high", which they said were not. Other than the paint smear on the 5 iron, I would probably place the first two sets of irons in the Very Good category according to the Condition Guide.

Like I said before, I am very satisfied with the outcome. They took care of my problems quickly and to my satisfaction. I'm hoping to chalk this up to a "luck of the draw" scenario and would use them again.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1352311292' post='5903645']

FT-iZ 5W & FT-iZ 4H.

[/quote]

Since when?
I've ordered 4 seperate times from them this year and had everything delievered right to me.
[/quote]To be fair it was the Official Callaway Pre-owned Ebay Seller. Same guy. lol. I guess they have a different shipping policy on ebay vs. their site. Still odd but oh well.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1352319483' post='5904199']
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1352311292' post='5903645']

FT-iZ 5W & FT-iZ 4H.

[/quote]

Since when?
[/quote]To be fair it was the Official Callaway Pre-owned Ebay Seller. Same guy. lol. I guess they have a different shipping policy on ebay vs. their site. Still odd but oh well.
[/quote]

Ahhhh.
I didn't know they actually had an ebay account for that as well. I just went straight to the main site.

Got a set of irons due to arrive from CPO tomorrow. This is not my first rodeo with them and I've never had a problem before. My irons were graded by CPO to be "very good". If anything, my experience has been to find the clubs better in my eyes than their grade. I'll post back after they arrive.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

Have had several good experiences ordering from their website, none with their eBay store. Glad the OP was eventually satisfied; that's great customer service.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I've only had good experiences from them. Bought a RAZR Fit driver, Odyssey White Ice #9 putter and an Odyssey putter headcover from them. All in Like New condition except for the putter headcover which was in Very Good condition.

The driver and putter looked new. Can't differentiate between new and used from these conditions, even if it was refinished. Putter headcover was more used, but condition was as promised.

**BTW, is the white hot tour headcover smaller than the white ice headcover? Because it seems a bit loose in my #9 putter.

Ping G410 Plus driver 10.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 stiff
Ping G410 fairway wood 14.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2 stiff
Mizuno MP-64 irons - 3 & 4 iron - Project X LZ 5.5
Mizuno MP-4 irons - 5-PW - Project X LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges 50*, 54* & 60* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter 35"

WITB Link

I have already posted before about two drivers that I bought from them. Both arrived in MUCH better condition than I expected. Shipping was fast, very well packaged, wish I needed more gear, I would order from them again:)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Like KC10, I took advantage of the RazrX 20% off sale on Friday and had my irons shipped special delivery on Saturday morning so I could play with them on Sunday. The irons arrived as scheduled. CPO had them graded "very good". Each iron was individually wrapped for shipping, had a brand new Callaway ribbed grip on it, and all shaft bands were perfect. My irons had been hit, but the graading was good as no bad marks or nicks could be found on any head. It was a good deal for me given the 20% discount I was alerted to via a CPO e-mail I got on Friday morning and the irons were very fairly graded. Very satisified with the product, price, and service.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

• 9 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread a bit to say I just pulled the trigger on a set of Callaway X Hot Pro Irons 5-PW+AW from the callawaypreowned site. Page had it listed as "Like New" so I ordered the set + AW with the 30% discount for the grand total of $399. Figured that was a good deal for 7 used current clubs.

WELLL>>>>> When they arrived every one of them was BRAND NEW wrapped in full plastic with grips that have never been touched! I know not every order you get stated as "Like New" come as "NEW" but I have had a good run of getting them this way from callawaypreowned.

Just thought I would share.

• 6 months later...

Well I finally tried Callaway Preowned. I feel I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. I ordered a set of Diablo Edge Irons in Very Good Condition. While all of the club heads, and grips looked great! The 8-PW had visible rust and pitting on the shafts. When I called to talk to my rep. my options where eat the shipping to return the current set and wait a few 3 weeks for them to review the issue and send me back a different set, or put a hold on my credit card have them ship me the other set then remove the hold once they received the original set. As neither of those to me felt like acceptable alternatives to me as this was on them, so he offered to take another $30 off my bill.

To top it off... I sent him an email yesterday afternoon with photos to try to move this along quicker, I called him as I haven't even heard back from him by lunch. I really didn't feel that the rep really went out of his way to make the situation that much better, nor was he very pleasant to deal with once he had my money. I wasn't expecting special treatment or anything, but he could have at least offered to expedite the new set to me or something for the hassle. I hear everyone talk about how great their customer service is, I'm very disappointed with how they treated me. The clubs will be fine I'm sure. I have ways to remove the rust but I just feel kind of cheated out of what I thought I was getting.