2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How to build an intimidating bag of clubs

zakkozuchowski

How to intimidate someone by only having them look at your bag.

Quarter sized brown spots on every single club including your 3w....

To get desired effect either:
1. Be an actual player and pure balls on the range all day developing those spots.
2. 1000 grit sand paper + a quarter + some dirt....sit in front of TV and rub, rub, rub. Place in the aforementioned Hoofer bag.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Late to the party(post) as always, but enjoyed it more by reading all the reactions to it.

Personally, I counted my two cart bags of clubs - and I got 10 frickin' brands that I play! That hopefully would never scare anybody, maybe I just confuse the scratch players once in awhile. My game never will intimidate, but my equipment has never helped nor hurt me IMHO.

Since I find myself in a minority mostly here in the Hot Desert courses where I generally walk-on as a single, I walk with my battery-powered cart. Actually, due to clubs tangling in the dividers, and hating the rattling sounds of irons, I went way against the theme here with my high dollar Bennington QO-12 bags - but it helps keep my course speed rate up - I can keep up with all the wusses who drive a cart here.

If anything, they mostly drive their carts, and never have time to look into my bag. Even though I'm pushing 50, I am in better physical shape than 99 percent of those I end up playing with from being a workout nut. I know I can't intimidate with my game (except I am an excellent putter! :derisive: ), but with the multi-brands of clubs and the sight of me sprinting down the fairways to my ball, I hope to grab the trophy for the most confusing bag of clubs and player around.

ps. Avid Bass fishing guys out there. You guys do know that having a Nitro 22' with a Merc 225 hp boat, and a half dozen rigged n ready $300 rod/reel combos puts you right up there with pros, AND can actually help you catch more fish! Plus, that's a more fun way to go at it! Enjoy your hobbies in our short time on this place and try to leave a smaller footprint.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

My bag of fourteen clubs consists of two drivers(one being 4 degrees), 2 iron, 64 lob, and a long putter. Also, I am Left handed.

The only thing more intimidating I can think of would be:

A carry bag with no leg stands. He just carries it like a piece of luggage for all 18 holes and he never feels pain in his shoulder.
No bag at all. Just carrying 6 clubs by hand with one ball.
Steel shafted driver.
Very old putter.
1 iron

One of the best reads I have had in a while, has to be an early favorite for post of the year!

I'm always scared of the guy that has a good set of stick and a wedge or putter I have never heard of, that guy is gonna kick your a$$!!

I have a love/hate relationship with golf.... I'm Married....

Driver: Cobra F9 9.0 Tensei Pro White 60 TX
3 Wood: Callaway XHot Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80 TX
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Tensei Pro Blue 90 TX
4 iron: Taylormade P790 Tensei Pro White 100 TX
5-PW: Mizuno 919 Tour Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
53*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
58*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
64*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
Putter: TaylorMade Tour Black Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

or a gun metal scotty napa, those are dirty and you know that guy is draining putts from everywhere!

I have a love/hate relationship with golf.... I'm Married....

Driver: Cobra F9 9.0 Tensei Pro White 60 TX
3 Wood: Callaway XHot Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80 TX
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Tensei Pro Blue 90 TX
4 iron: Taylormade P790 Tensei Pro White 100 TX
5-PW: Mizuno 919 Tour Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
53*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
58*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
64*: Taylormade Hi-Toe S400 Black Onyx Tour Issue
Putter: TaylorMade Tour Black Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Great read. Spot on. I would have to add a couple intimidating things I've noticed along the way...Every scratch players blades (or players irons) have to have a sweet spot wear mark at about the size of a dime showing that no matter the day or how brutal the condotions are, they never miss the sweetspot. The scotty is a must. It has to be an old scotty that is most likely rusty or beat up. Aftermarket/custom order shafts are pretty intimidating too.

And every intimidating player has some lines they say to mess with their playing partner. For example, after they pipe their drive with their triple xxx flex tour issue shaft they might say, "Hey Bob, have you heard about the supermarket they're building? It's being built between your ball and mine" or something along the lines of...."when i hit shots I don't use the term fore...the only time I use that is when I write my score on a par 5"

Also, every intimidating player has expectations of a tour player...so when they hit that 235 yard sawed off 3 iron to 10 feet they might claim it was a "shank" or an "unforced error" or simply "inexplicable" because any shot outside that 3 foot radius is completely unacceptable

Could be sort of close, but I'm not quite scratch

910D3 9.5 PX 7C3
910F 13.5 'Ahina 82 - beat & scratched
Idea Pro 20 VS Proto - Hybrid, but a very beefy, anti left hybrid
AP2 712 - Newer, but plenty of brown from lots of sandy balls
Vokey 50, 54, 58 - Beat to heck
Scotty Laguna 1.5 - Chattered
Hoofer

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

Equipment doesn't intimidate, play does.

But since this is about building a bag to try to intimidate - I'll go with the carry bag, no stand, no head-covers on woods or irons, everything is beat to hell....except the money maker, a well cared for blade putter with an old leather wrapped grip. That man knows which side of the bread his butter goes on.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

old hoofer - check
blades - check
old fairways - check
rusted wedges - check
ratty headcovers - check
long putter - check
newer driver - check

Lack of ability to intimidate beyond hole #4 - check

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 1 year later...

Haha, good read! It kind of reminded me of my own bag :D

So far:

Bag: Mizuno AeroLight - Close enough :D
Driver: Titleist 907 D2... It's long, but I guess it has to go :D
3 Wood: Titleist 980F Strong - That's just pimpin' (Also got a V Steel Tour Issue T/S though)
5 Wood/Hybrid: V-Steel and a beat up first generation TM Rescue Mid
Irons: Mizuno MP-32 - Not much to say about these
Wedges: Vokeys
Putter: Scotty Cameron New Port Beach 1,5
Headcovers: Rocket Tours except for the driver... That needs to change :D

Classic thread!

The Sunday carry bags with dual straps is a dead giveaway of "player," especially if there are only 7 or 8 clubs in there and the guy is walking on at super twilight.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

A little side story about the 905R as referenced in the OP ...

Back in 2006 when I really got addicted to golf, I bought a 905R driver from my friends dad for $100. This driver was amazing. I could hit it over the back of the range and I could even control it - better than I do today. The sweetspot on that thing was huge. I have not driven the ball nearly as well as I did back then.

Well, one day my roommate broke it. I quickly found another 905 in the used rack and forgave him. But ... this replacement was garbage. Just impossible to hit. I always thought it was just the different shaft. I tried it for a few weeks and eventually settled down with an R7.

Not until right here tonight did I realize this one here is a 905 S and that was a 905 R. Just now tonight I noticed that S, did a little research and I definitely had an R.....

I must find one tomorrow. If he wouldn't have broke that it would have been in the bag the entire time.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure how I fit into this!

Old school original hoofer - Check
Old school Spalding TPM putter - Check

Sadly I now fall off the band wagon with Ping i20's 5-L including gap.
Anser driver and 3 wood with proudly worn matching Anser headcovers!

Do I qualify for a bonus point for still carrying a 2 iron????

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1403337669' post='9545045']
A little side story about the 905R as referenced in the OP ...

Back in 2006 when I really got addicted to golf, I bought a 905R driver from my friends dad for $100. This driver was amazing. I could hit it over the back of the range and I could even control it - better than I do today. The sweetspot on that thing was huge. I have not driven the ball nearly as well as I did back then.

Well, one day my roommate broke it. I quickly found another 905 in the used rack and forgave him. But ... this replacement was garbage. Just impossible to hit. I always thought it was just the different shaft. I tried it for a few weeks and eventually settled down with an R7.

Not until right here tonight did I realize this one here is a [b]905 S[/b] and that was a [b]905 R[/b]. Just now tonight I noticed that S, did a little research and I definitely had an R.....

I must find one tomorrow. If he wouldn't have broke that it would have been in the bag the entire time.
[/quote]

I'm such a fan of the 905R but in all honesty, as good a driver as it is the 913D2 smokes it longer and is more forgiving. Granted I don't have a Proforce V2 in my 913 like my 905R.

I'm guilty of some of this stuff lol
Blades yep, I even have a v-steel lol

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

Pretty funny.... My setup is close in a lot of ways.

TM Tour R7 (recently cracked)
Callaway Steelhead+ Tour 3w
Adams Hybrid (getting removed soon due to bad performance and replaced with a 2iron at the recommendation of a fitter)
Cleveland TA-3 Tour Issued raw irons (look 30 years old, people always ask about them since there's no logo)
Old Nike wedges that I love
Yes! Putter with tons of bag chatter (just recently got a headcover for it since my putting has improved significantly in the last year)
Old Cleveland carry bag
Florida State Seminoles towel =)

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1403353619' post='9545421']
[quote name='mizunopure' timestamp='1403329354' post='9544843']
Classic thread!

The Sunday carry bags with dual straps is a dead giveaway of "player," especially if there are only 7 or 8 clubs in there and the guy is walking on at super twilight.
[/quote]

You talking about me?
[/quote]

It certianly is one of the stronger looks on the course. I don't have the stones to pull it off but am considering breaking it out for my club's 5-club tourney the day after Thanksgiving.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Shot 7 over for the last 4 rounds with this bag:
Bstone j33r460 9.5 whiteboard
Sonartec ss03 14* Fuji rombax proto 80b
2 iron king cobra forged ss
3-PW tm 300
52/56 Cleveland 588
Scotty pro platinum Laguna two

The only thing that throws me out is my ogio vapor lite (first year they made it). It replaced the hoofer when the leg broke.

Original head cover on driver. 15 year old cover on 3 wood. White bath towel from Walmart cost about 3 bucks.

Great post! Not sure how I qualify but here goes.
Odd club Hathaway V4 driver
3 wood Old Cally Steelhead 13*
7 wood TM V Steel beat all to heck
Irons actually first new ones in 30 years Infiniti TS-10 forged CNC cavity backs 4I thruPW
Gap TM ATV 52* a little lead tape
Sand Srixon 56* was gunmetal but rusted all to heck lots of lead tape
Lob Scratch 60* with plenty of lead tape
Putter Ping Zing have had for 25 years now
Bag(s) usually about a 10 year old Clevland Tour Stand carry bag unless in a tournament then it is my Infiniti Staff bag
Headcovers Old Adams insights with magnet closurers probably 10 years old or so on the old 7 wood I have an old Alpha magnet closure headcover
Towels whatever I find for 99 cents at Goodwill have probable 50 of them various colors and prints some look like what you would see in grandma"s kitchen
Shoes no joke Converse Chuck Taylors several colors to match my outfit I balance better with flat soles and I need the ankle support and I dont care for soft spikes
Gloves no paticular brand just whatever I pick up on special that will fit me

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[quote name='mizunopure' timestamp='1403363792' post='9545921']
[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1403353619' post='9545421']
[quote name='mizunopure' timestamp='1403329354' post='9544843']
Classic thread!

[/quote]

You talking about me?
[/quote]

It certianly is one of the stronger looks on the course. I don't have the stones to pull it off but am considering breaking it out for my club's 5-club tourney the day after Thanksgiving.
[/quote]

My 5 club bag would include a 3W, 5-8-PW and putter. If you can, get an old persimmon or laminate 3W. Extend the shaft to about modern driver length. With a little practice, you'll be bombing that club almost as far as a modern driver. I've extended old drivers with excellent results. Takes practice to slow the swing, though, especially if you're a strong young guy.

Hitting the old stuff at your event will make you a legend.

Play well!

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1360048842' post='6365711']
I think I'll put my staff/cart bag on my push cart, stock it full of water for when it's hot and just take the bets if someone wants to think I'm some kind of hack because of my "accessories". Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'll do.
[/quote]My kind of golf hustler Takes one to know one

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick