Review: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons

7842c1cd623ba2b1280793a27123d473.JPG

Tested:

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons (4-GW), Standard Length, Loft, 2* Up from Mizuno standard with Project X 5.5 Shafts (Soft Stepped)

About Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons:

The Grain Flow Forged® JPX-825 Pro™ pushes the design limits to achieve greater forgiveness and feel in this “players” game-improvement iron. The 4-7 irons offer a deep CNC milled pocket cavity that provides 17 grams of discretionary weight that is used for extreme toe-heel weighting providing plenty of forgiveness where you need it. The 8-GW features a full cavity design with greater thickness behind the impact for a more penetrating and workable ball flight for pinpoint accuracy in the scoring irons. Suggested Handicap Range: 6-18 (My handicap: 7)

Pros:

Classy, satin-like finish. Fantastic forged feel. Scoring irons are have thinner toplines than previous JPX series. Excellent forgiveness for their size and better-than-average playability. Versatile triple-cut sole design.

Cons:

Not a distance iron. Long irons do not have ground-breaking forgiveness. Completely useable by better players (6 and below), but some may be turned off by the thicker topline. No love for lefties.

Bottom Line:

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons blur the line between game-improvement and players categories. These are not ground breaking, but rather an enhancement of the previous JPX-800 Pros. That’s a good thing for these are all-round top performers. Solid, soft and deadly accurate. While the recommended handicap range is 6-18, but you can bet there will be even better players putting these in the bag.

The Review

Looks:

Designed to appeal to both the game improvement and traditional iron player, these hit the nail on the head. The “not too big and not too small” size appeals to a broad range of players. Previous offerings had cavity badging that were bold and polarizing. The JPX-825 Pros tone this down a bit. The black cavity graphics are understated, but at the same time are edgy enough to hint there’s technology helping you under the hood. The satin-like appearance enhance the technical look. I do wish Mizuno would change the font on the iron numbering a bit. Really, font? Yeah, that’s a little picky, but its squared-off, oversized appearance is a little dated.

With iron forgiveness vs. size, there is always a trade off. Mass is needed all around to help with forgiveness, yet a better player is turned off by thicker topline. Well, Mizuno has fooled you this time and you’ll be glad you did. The mass is still there, but thanks to a clever topline bevel, it appears more like a traditional players iron. You’ll thank them later.

Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Performance:

I am a long-time Mizuno game improvement player, from MX-200 to MX-300 Pros to JPX-800 Pros. The latter were are step up from the MX series, and also taught me the importance of custom-fitting (read more on the Mizuno Performance Fitting System here). While these are a different shaft than my beloved 800 Pros, these were recommended by Mizuno and the performance reflected it.

After four rounds of with the JPX-825 Pros, these perform every bit as well as the 800 Pro model they’ve replaced. You can work these a good deal, or play your natural shot and just fire away. Long irons (4-7) employ an undercut cavity design (thankfully not visible at address) which helps with forgiveness and a hotter face for distance. I didn’t find any groundbreaking distance gains, but the consistency was top-notch. The 8-GW have no undercut cavity and are extremely accurate, no doubt helped by the cleaner, scoring iron shape. You can score with these clubs, so get the putter ready.

The flight seemed a little higher to me in the long irons than my 800 Pros. That’s a good thing as it helps stop the ball on the green. I had no problems flighting these lower. Low punches, especially with the scoring irons, were spectacular. They flighted low and stopped quickly and were fun to pull off.

Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Feel:

We’ve all seen “Grain Flow Forged” proudly etched on the hosel of Mizuno forgings. They are some of the best feeling irons around. Feel is excellent and uniform with long and short irons despite the difference in the cavity designs. Somehow, these feel nicer than the JPX-800s they replaced.

These are more muted than a blade on mishits, but still provide great feedback at impact. If you flush one, you know it. Overall feel is excellent and uniform throughout the set. Not quite like a hot knife though butter, but very soft nonetheless. These are easily some of the best feeling clubs in the ‘Players Game Improvement’ category.

Rating: 5 of 5 stars

Overall:

The JPX-825 Pro Irons continue to blur the line between game improvement and players categories. They do everything well, in a handsome, forgiving forging.

I consider myself a “recovering forged-iron snob.” There was a time I wouldn’t consider an iron that wasn’t forged. Now, I’ve come around to believe technology can help in all clubs, including irons. Multi-material designs and castings all have their advantages for sure, but Mizuno packs technology into a forged iron like no other. Forgiveness, workability and soft feel. When you flush one, you smile. That’s what the game is about.

Overall Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

More info on the JPX-825 Pros on Mizuno’s web site

3a718dce4fdf44f567c2bf44d57584b5.JPG87115ca3790b1a0367f3bf7a686a4763.JPG035876d7a758bb81fc4c9cb61c463ce6.JPG5328c4bd239f31645115f550f373bad6.JPG4911d90375eb5a4f21254c2f9c2eca53.JPG26b084d9658c5f7d3233885bfe0c284f.JPG7842c1cd623ba2b1280793a27123d473.JPG373bc6f698374394fa99ba64807a4a36.JPG092285292d34082e123c68b91911c1aa.JPG25a5f7cf9e6797dda09ae393b80fedb1.JPGb4e7daf85712902ab39313a1523fe973.JPGe47943a362d8ffa5119ae11ebe752afb.JPG94fa2eee326a47c93b4496a0b15328bc.JPG169a5a9e2a9fbe24c9238e13bd4a9146.JPG26c4763c56d76b639cc68c67fe06456f.JPGdc592bf70df8e61d1decadf53844f4ef.JPG7196803137b07f8bb3431ef8f1287d51.JPG4b04e45114bac9949f7d487270efc47a.JPG031e96fb314fc81fb57125b6567e3f11.JPG97de702ee88ba4d6251fba9e16b689ea.JPGdee9b61be8b0e1f0829631e4ca329e34.JPG
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review Hip. Will definately give these a look!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

HAving had the MX-300 a few sets ago... I think these are very similar and a good looking club "to boot".

The sole/sole grind on these looks to fit most swings from a digger to a sweeper....

Thanks for sharing!

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Great review! Thanks!

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Great review. Nice irons. I wonder if the faces of the 825 pros approach the COR limit like the regular 825s.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='plus8' timestamp='1352631957' post='5918203']
I've seen 'em... the topline is a tad slimmer than my 800 pro's, but other than that there doesn't seem to be much to crow about relative to the 800 pros. They're absolutely not gonna supplant mine, but if you're looking at switching to Mizunos, these and the MP-53's should be on the list for sure.
[/quote]

I tried 'em out today - just the 6i, with a PX shaft.

If' you have read my posts, you know that I am never - never - wrong about anything. :fool:

Except this time. I stand corrected!

This is more forgiving, better visual, and I gained probably 5 yds (well not really, but since it has a bigger sweet spot, the carry was more frequent than mine.

I love this club, and I sort of wish I could upgrade from mine.

Also tried the MP64. It is also a big WINNER!!! Soft, long, and perfectly balanced with a big enough sweet spot to be fun!

hope this helps.

Nicely done Rob.

I have never hit a Mizuno iron. I've had more people tell me when they get them from the factory the specs are always way out of whack. I never hear this about any other company, only Mizuno. As a result, I've been real gun shy to try any of their products, though everything I read on GolfWRX about Mizuno is always very positive.

Very nice review.......looking forward to my new Combo set---825 Pro/ MP64---should be best of both worlds !!!

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1353362031' post='5955135']
Nicely done Rob.

I have never hit a Mizuno iron. I've had more people tell me when they get them from the factory the specs are always way out of whack. I never hear this about any other company, only Mizuno. As a result, I've been real gun shy to try any of their products.
[/quote]
Not my experience at all. But if the re IS a slight variance, the forged clubs are easy to bend....

Very nice review. So I take it these will be staying in the bag? Everything that comes out this year will be compared against them?

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

Just hit these last week and I was very impressed. For some this would be a great combo set with the 64's. Nice review and great pics!!

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I really, really wanted to like them, but my miss is either slightly fat or slightly thin. They are not really forgiving in that regard. The leading edge is pretty straight, with little heel-toe cambering, so if you are not 100% consistent with you shaft angle coming into the ball, they will punish you.
I also hit the MP-64s at the same demo day, outdoors, on a grass range, and they seemed to be more forgiving to me because of that.
Of course, the JPX-825 Pros clearly give you better results on off-center hits. But if you are like me, and you are challenged with the vertical accuracy of your club path more than with the horizontal aspect, the JPX-825 Pros will not help you.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1354460812' post='6007599']
I really, really wanted to like them, but my miss is either slightly fat or slightly thin. They are not really forgiving in that regard. The leading edge is pretty straight, with little heel-toe cambering, so if you are not 100% consistent with you shaft angle coming into the ball, they will punish you.
I also hit the MP-64s at the same demo day, outdoors, on a grass range, and they seemed to be more forgiving to me because of that.
Of course, the JPX-825 Pros clearly give you better results on off-center hits. But if you are like me, and you are challenged with the vertical accuracy of your club path more than with the horizontal aspect, the JPX-825 Pros will not help you.
[/quote]

There isn't a club made that will help you physically hit the ball. That's all you. Your job is to deliver the clubhead to the ball. The measurement of forgiveness comes during/after contact is made. If you're able to bring the head to the ball better with another set, then there are other variables there like weight, etc. It's not that another head helps/hurts your chances of actually hitting the ball.

Not trying to be harsh at all and I apologize if it came across that way. I've heard this often and it's just plain wrong.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1354461442' post='6007635']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1354460812' post='6007599']
[/quote]

There isn't a club made that will help you physically hit the ball. That's all you. Your job is to deliver the clubhead to the ball. The measurement of forgiveness comes during/after contact is made. If you're able to bring the head to the ball better with another set, then there are other variables there like weight, etc. It's not that another head helps/hurts your chances of actually hitting the ball.

Not trying to be harsh at all and I apologize if it came across that way. I've heard this often and it's just plain wrong.
[/quote]

I ususally do not miss the ball. I am talking about slightly fat shots, on which one hits the ground at about the same time one hits the ball. Or about "picker" swings. I would think that a "more forgiving" model of a specific OEM should be more forgiving with those types of shots as well. In my experience, the JPX 825 Pros aren't, compared to the MP-64s, which I find strange.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 2 weeks later...

Having followed the reviews on here and elsewhere since I first hit these in my local golf headquarters a month ago - I pulled the trigger and purchased a set. In my determination to find a great deal - I inadvertently bought the 4-PW instead of the 4-PW, GW (last time I bought clubs GW wasn't part of the set)!

Anyway, they arrived yesterday - straight out and snuck in 13 holes. My playing partner saw me taking the wrapping off the clubs and noticed I was playing new irons, and he also noticed as I consistently struck it right at the pin. The first couple shots I realised I was carrying farther (5-6 yards) than my previous clubs (Cleveland Tour Action 2 - to which I owe an honourable mention as a great little set of irons), so I will have to spend a little time re-adjusting my distance numbers, but no complaints here in that regard.

I'd never before experienced this "buttery feel" that seems to be a buzz word these days. Wow! Maybe I just flushed almost every iron yesterday but I was getting some wonderful feedback through the feel and sounds of my shots - as well as being pretty happy with where the ball was ending up.

I'm a 13 index, and maybe it is all just placebo effect of the shiny new play things, or maybe it's the practice I've been putting in, or maybe it might be a combination of both - but I am excited to keep practicing and keep hitting these irons.

Thank you Mizuno, and thank you Mrs Puck for indulging me!

• 4 months later...

I'm a senior golfer and play three to four times per week. My index is currently 14. I'm can't decide between the JPX 825 Pro's and G25's. I've always liked Mizuno's and the look and feel of forged. The weakest part of my game is my irons, particularly the 6 and 7i. I know it's my swing and not the club. Both the Pro's and 25's are in the game improvement category. I've hit both inconsistently. While I realize I would benefit from more lessons, I'd like to hear feedback on what direction I should take. Appearance and feel favor the Mizuno's. I would say the Pings have a slight edge on forgiveness. However, the 8, 9, and PW give the edge to the JPX Pro's. My average score is 88 and I play it forward. Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

[quote name='l007' timestamp='1367843113' post='6978348']
I'm a senior golfer and play three to four times per week. My index is currently 14. I'm can't decide between the JPX 825 Pro's and G25's. I've always liked Mizuno's and the look and feel of forged. The weakest part of my game is my irons, particularly the 6 and 7i. I know it's my swing and not the club. Both the Pro's and 25's are in the game improvement category. I've hit both inconsistently. While I realize I would benefit from more lessons, I'd like to hear feedback on what direction I should take. Appearance and feel favor the Mizuno's. I would say the Pings have a slight edge on forgiveness. However, the 8, 9, and PW give the edge to the JPX Pro's. My average score is 88 and I play it forward. Thanks for your thoughts and insights.
[/quote]

I just bought a custom ordered set of G25's (Blue Dot, KBS Tours, +1/2") and oh how bad I [i]wanted[/i]to like them.... but I have heard people say it and it really is true. You're either a Ping guy or you're not. I am def not! I hate them. The feel is crap (think rocks hitting wet plywood), there is so much offset it looks like the club is a day behind the shaft, a number of shots ballooned pretty bad.

I have hit the 800 pros and 825 pros countless times and to my detriment never pulled the trigger... until now. I am not totally in love with my 825 pros with c tapers. great feel, good turf interaction, good workability for those"once in a blue moon" days when I want it, good forgiviness on every other day when I need it.

I recommend 825's to anybody

• 3 weeks later...

Mine should arrive later today. I have been struggling on my yardages especially the long irons, with my MP68s, so I decided to give these a try. I just love Mizunos and couldn't warm up to anything else. I am hoping that the long irons will produce more consistent distance for me. My direction isn't bad but I just can't seem to hit it the way I use to. I also went with a regular shaft but may need to bump it up to the 5.2 that was suggested for me, we'll see how these regulars play and how they spec out on the frequency meter. I will need to get the lies adjusted as they are 2 degrees flat (eBay) and I usually play 2 up. I will hit the lie board first and hopefully I can bend 4 degrees if need be. I am alos going to try and insert some dampener before I re-grip them with New Decade Multi Compound mid-size grips. Anyway, I am excited and will give a report back once I have hit them a bit.

shopping for irons for my youngest (15 yr old), Golfsmith guys were pushing the 825 Pro, while he was hitting forged clubs...

he tried their demo 6 iron of the 825 pro, his yardages went crazy long for a 6 iron, which scared him away from this iron, he continued demo'ing forged cb's of all makes which gave him yardages he recognized

the 825 pro 6 iron is 2 degrees strong compared to his current set, which explained the yardage...is the 825 pro a players club or not? he was leaning toward the mp64 and cobra amp cell pro's...but I would like to get him into something more forgiving that he feels like he can control...

i thought the 825 pro would be it because we love the blunt leading edge and bounce...but the crazy lofts scared us off...

The 825 Pro bridges the gap between GI and players. The JPX-825 Pro is just 1 degree stronger in 6 iron and pw than the mp64 and Amp Cell Pro. Shouldn't make much difference at all vs the other two.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I'm thinking of ordering a set of these and having them built 1* strong and a 1/2" longer. My thought is that each club should play a club longer then my current set thus giving me a 3-PW type set. I hope it works...

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I am really loving the 825 Pros. The local Mizuno rep hooked me up with a like-new demo set that has PXi 5.5 shafts in them.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter