Is Rory a limited player?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for the threads next year when he plays bad one tournament and misses the cut and everyone blames the nike clubs lol

TSi3 9* - Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade M5 - Rogue Max 75x
'17 Taylormade M1 hybrid - Kuro Kage 80X
Titleist 716 TMB 3-4 iron AMT X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-pw KBS Tour 130x
Artisan 50,56 custom wedges
Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

+1 on the Honda win

Before the final round there when he was in contention (or possibly even leading, I can't remember which) people were saying the wind was going to be a huge factor. It was blowing hard and plenty of people said he just can't play in those conditions, but he won comfortably in the end.

He's not as good in the wind as he is in perfect conditions, but not many are.

And on the missed cuts, Tiger was a machine, physically and mentally. McIlroy is more "normal" mentally. You need guts to play some of the shots he plays under pressure, but he isn't superhuman like Tiger, so he will miss cuts and lose concentration during a season.

[quote name='Shankieboink' timestamp='1353103662' post='5944657']
Windy conditions is definitly not one of Rorys strongest sides (not saying he's weak). I think it's an experience thing (many old players that handle it better).. Many "good weather" players that sometimes can crush the course in good weather, plain suck in bad weather. Just look at some of the guys who has shoot record scores, None of them can play in windy conditions.

Goydos (59), Appleby (59), Karlsson (36 hole record)
[/quote]

Appleby certainly can play in the wind. He's played that much golf in Melbourne where it's a requirement to be able flight the ball different ways. He just is not a great putter.

[quote name='Gupps01' timestamp='1353105766' post='5944793']
Windy conditions is definitly not one of Rorys strongest sides (not saying he's weak). I think it's an experience thing (many old players that handle it better).. Many "good weather" players that sometimes can crush the course in good weather, plain suck in bad weather. Just look at some of the guys who has shoot record scores, None of them can play in windy conditions.

[/quote]

Appleby certainly can play in the wind. He's played that much golf in Melbourne where it's a requirement to be able flight the ball different ways. He just is not a great putter.
[/quote]

Yeah, Appleby perhaps shouldn't be on that list. He has a T2 in B.O from 2002.

[quote name='Ristlager' timestamp='1353090464' post='5943769']
Yes, he is nr 1 in the world and he also is my favourite player (tied with Tiger). [b]But it seems he needs perfect conditions in order to perform[/b]. Everytime the wind turns up, he misses cuts (like today) or shoots himself out of contention. It seems he isn't able to change his shots to suit the conditions. And his stock high draw gets him in all sorts of trouble when the wind blows up. He even said after the Open last year, that he didn't want to change his game for one turnament.

I can't remember that he has been in contention in any turnaments with wind. So is he limited or is my memory very fuzzy, and he actually has been good in windy weather?
[/quote]

I thought Rory blew the field away at the PGA Championship at Kiawah in pretty crazy conditions, no?

Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1353104008' post='5944681']
While I somewhat understand the op's point, I can't help but find it humorous.

We are talking about the no.1 player- ON THE PLANET...
[/quote]

Pretty much my sentiments, i know what the OP means. Rory seems to be at his best when he can hit moonball draws on every shot. He's still the #1 player in the world, which is of course probably why we are dissecting him to this degree.

But remember even he said came over here partially because the courses suit him better, which lends a little credence to the fact that he does have a style of game he prefers to play

Callaway Epic Subzero 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epc Subzero 13 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex 2019 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Rory shot the Portrush course record in windy conditions!
He didn't dig deep enough at St Andrews in 2010 on the Friday, otherwise he would have a Claret jug as well.
As worldly wise as he is now, I think he's still a wee bit immature and if things aren't going his way he goes into a huff with himself.

Oh and i'd add no matter what, he needs to stop running after Woz all around the world. That thumb print of hers on the top of his head will make him bald prematurely!

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='Gupps01' timestamp='1353105766' post='5944793']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rory grew up in Northern Ireland where its at least as windy as Melbourne not to mention 10-15 degrees cooler.

he shot 62 at Royal Portrush when he was 16.

He can play in the wind for sure but his high draws work better when its not too windy and reasonably soft.

I grew up in NE Scotland where the high shot,particulary the high fade is known as the "fosbury" as in Fosbury flop( high jump.)

He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes. He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011). He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long. Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

I believe that the the only thing that will limit Rory is himself. He's stated on more than one occasion that there is more to life than golf, so I think that is why you sometimes see him miss a cut. I don't believe its the end of the world for him if he misses a cut. That type of mentality could actually be a good thing, because he's probably less likely to get burned out in the long run. The potentially bad thing however is when he gets into his mid-30's, will he have the desire to grind and win majors when it's not as easy as it used to be?

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

Every player on tour has conditions and courses he favours, even Tiger. Thats why scheduling is so important, and it seems to be an area that RM will concentrate on next year. If he gets it right his win ratio should improve, but I can't ever see him getting near Tigers regular tournament record, simply because he doesn't have his unbelievable drive.

With all the talk about how long and high Rory hits the ball, its his Sunday short game that in my opinion that separates him from the others. When Tiger at the Honda, and Poulter at the PGA, started making runs Rory continually got up and down under huge pressure. Everyone remembers Rory winning the PGA by 8, but Poulter got within 2 by the 9th, and at that stage it looked like he had a real chance, but Rory slammed the door on him using an impeccable short game, picking up a string of birdies and never looking like dropping a shot. Poulter had to force it and he dropped shots as a result.

[quote name='Slackattack' timestamp='1353340044' post='5953435']
He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes. [b]He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011). [/b] He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long. Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

I believe that the the only thing that will limit Rory is himself. He's stated on more than one occasion that there is more to life than golf, so I think that is why you sometimes see him miss a cut. I don't believe its the end of the world for him if he misses a cut. That type of mentality could actually be a good thing, because he's probably less likely to get burned out in the long run. The potentially bad thing however is when he gets into his mid-30's, will he have the desire to grind and win majors when it's not as easy as it used to be?
[/quote]

He did? I must have been dreaming when he puked all over himself.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1353361176' post='5955065']
[quote name='Slackattack' timestamp='1353340044' post='5953435']
He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes. [b]He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011). [/b] He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long. Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

[/quote]

He did? I must have been dreaming when he puked all over himself.
[/quote]

The Masters one is the most relevant, the fact he has shown he has the ability to absolutely tear that course apart would suggest he will at least be in contention there several times in the future, and he clearly has the [i]capability [/i]to win it, that's not necessarily saying he will.

And if you shoot the lowest-ever first round score in the 150-year history of the Open Championship (wikipedia) you will probably have a few opportunities at that tournament too.

[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1353108962' post='5944969']
[quote name='Ristlager' timestamp='1353090464' post='5943769']
Yes, he is nr 1 in the world and he also is my favourite player (tied with Tiger). [b]But it seems he needs perfect conditions in order to perform[/b]. Everytime the wind turns up, he misses cuts (like today) or shoots himself out of contention. It seems he isn't able to change his shots to suit the conditions. And his stock high draw gets him in all sorts of trouble when the wind blows up. He even said after the Open last year, that he didn't want to change his game for one turnament.

I can't remember that he has been in contention in any turnaments with wind. So is he limited or is my memory very fuzzy, and he actually has been good in windy weather?
[/quote]

I thought Rory blew the field away at the PGA Championship at Kiawah in pretty crazy conditions, no?
[/quote]
Exactly what I was thinking.