What is a average "tour issue" putter head weight?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I assume tour putter heads weight more then retail heads. What is the normal range of the weight?   380-400 grams?

I'd think that most tour players would use lighter head weights than us amateurs. They don't need the weight to help smooth their putting stroke. IMO lighter putter heads (330-340g) tend to feel a li

In all of my discussions with putting instructors, directors of instruction and just golf instructors in general, I have found....................there is no singular theory that all subscribe to.   

Posted Images

I'm guessing weight has gone up over decades. Wasn't 320-330 more of an average many years ago? Faster greens today?

380-400 would be a modern belly putter. On a short stick that much weight would make the shaft feel like it's flexing when swung.

Head weight is personal and greatly affected by shaft length. 365 grams on a 35" putter feels like a tank, but 365g on a 33" putter feels great IMO.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1353897244' post='5978601']
I'd think that most tour players would use lighter head weights than us amateurs. They don't need the weight to help smooth their putting stroke. IMO lighter putter heads (330-340g) tend to feel a little more responsive than heavy heads (350g+).
[/quote]
It is my understanding pros usually use a heavier head around 350. It takes a shorter, more controlled stroke to get the ball to the hole.

Swag Suave One 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Spider X 33"

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I would have thought heavier was the ticket, but on 35" I would say 330-340 head weight.

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

I'd think that most tour players would use lighter head weights than us amateurs. They don't need the weight to help smooth their putting stroke. IMO lighter putter heads (330-340g) tend to feel a little more responsive than heavy heads (350g+).

It is my understanding pros usually use a heavier head around 350. It takes a shorter, more controlled stroke to get the ball to the hole.

That's been the logic that has been used by many putter companies explaining why they are going to heavier putters. I did the same for a long time and was never putting well. After seeing a similar conversation talk about lighter putters, I went light and I putt better now than I ever have on fast greens. The reason being that you can make a solid, aggressive stroke with a lighter putter and the ball doesn't roll as far since there is less mass on the ball. Instead of having to make short, choppy strokes, I can make normal strokes no matter the putt.

If I play slower greens, I'll use a heavier putter and use the same stroke. More mass means I'll hit it just as far on slow greens as I would a light putter on fast greens.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

• 8 months later...

My 34" Bronze FGP swing weight is C7.5 and 1* Flat with standard 2.5* loft... I have forgotten the head weight after adding 5g. Total weight including shaft and grip 485g.

SeeMore are tremendous putters. Using and trust the SeeMore alignment feature has continually improved my mid and long range putting. I am happy many golfers I play matches with use Scotty Camerons with expensive head covers.

FWIW, my bronze FGP is for sale $125 shipping included.

Photos available.

My 34" Bronze FGP swing weight is C7.5 and 1* Flat with standard 2.5* loft... I have forgotten the head weight after adding 5g. Total weight including shaft and grip 485g.

SeeMore are tremendous putters. Using and trust the SeeMore alignment feature has continually improved my mid and long range putting. I am happy many golfers I play matches with use Scotty Camerons with expensive head covers.

FWIW, my bronze FGP is for sale $125 shipping included.

Photos available.

Haha...

• 3 years later...
On 11/23/2012 at 8:53 PM, hebron1427 said:

False. Based on my conversations with Lamont, most tour players wouldn't touch a putter over 345 grams. The average is probably close to 335.

I’m getting a putter done now with a 335g head. I wanted something close to my Scotty Cameron Newport.

Would you have any idea of what is considered a light weight or medium weight putter shaft?

I have no idea of putter shaft weights...for example, in irons, I know 105g is considered light and 130g+ heavy...

On 3/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, fabs17 said:

I’m getting a putter done now with a 335g head. I wanted something close to my Scotty Cameron Newport.

Would you have any idea of what is considered a light weight or medium weight putter shaft?

I have no idea of putter shaft weights...for example, in irons, I know 105g is considered light and 130g+ heavy...

Lighter weight , the old TT ysc is what Cameron used , I think it was 115 ish stepped , little more feel of release 

get them on eBay for 20 or so bucks 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

As greens get faster, most pros tend to go with a bit lighter head.  I don't play tour level courses and even when I have, they aren't prepped like they are for an event.  So I personally like something between 350 and 354g.  I did have a tour authentic putter made by Ping.  It was absolutely a stunning putter.  But my stroke needs something with more toe hang.  I even found the old thread from when I bought it.  It was 352g and I think "we" decided the 1992 was a typo and it was really from 2002.

2 hours ago, gticlay said:

As greens get faster, most pros tend to go with a bit lighter head.  I don't play tour level courses and even when I have, they aren't prepped like they are for an event.  So I personally like something between 350 and 354g.  I did have a tour authentic putter made by Ping.  It was absolutely a stunning putter.  But my stroke needs something with more toe hang.  I even found the old thread from when I bought it.  It was 352g and I think "we" decided the 1992 was a typo and it was really from 2002.

you got it backwards, faster greens = heavier head, slower greens = lighter head. The purpose of that is so they don't have to make as big of a stroke when the greens get faster. 

1 hour ago, dmecca2 said:

you got it backwards, faster greens = heavier head, slower greens = lighter head. The purpose of that is so they don't have to make as big of a stroke when the greens get faster. 

No, maybe some are going heavier but it’s always been conventional wisdom to add some weight on slower greens. Tiger does it with a little lead tape. Did a little research and a big part of it is the big fat heavy grips many people are  using these days. It’s all personal preference and that may change depending on the courses you play most often. 

Edited by gticlay
Add information
  • Like 1

In all of my discussions with putting instructors, directors of instruction and just golf instructors in general, I have found....................there is no singular theory that all subscribe to.    The head weight in relation to speed of the greens is about a 50/50 split.   Some believe the heavy head = slow greens and the other half believe just the opposite.   The credentials of the voice had no bearing on their opinions.

Personally, I like a lighter head on a faster green.  It allows me to maintain more of a full stroke without the fear of a heavy head impacting the ball and sending it flying.   I can see the argument of less movement of the heavier head and it lessening the chance of something getting "off" in that motion.   But, my own experience is what I have to go by.   Will it work for everyone?  Maybe not. 

Open discussions like this are incredibly valuable and I enjoy the read.  We all have our own theories and justifications that work for us.   Having the forum to share those is an amazing gift.

Keep rolling the rock and sharing what works for you. 

Have an amazing weekend!

LaMont in AZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Article on Jordan Spieth's putter from WSJ in 2016

“It’s not very soft,” Spieth said. “I like that. I like being able to feel in my hands kind of the strike of the ball instead of just feeling like you’re gliding through air.”

Spieth has replaced the accessory elements of his putter over the years—the grip and the shaft. But the essential component—a 350-gram block of carbon steel—endures.

I agree 100% with @golfluvzme here.  Unfortunately, virtually EVERYTHING in golf is player specific.  Hence why it is the most difficult sport/game/pass time that is known to man!  

That said, I firmly believe that each player needs to figure out their basic acceleration pattern and that will point you in the right direction as to wether you might prefer the weight in your hands or down in the club head.  Once you have that basic determination figured out, then you start playing with the tour lock/superstroke counter weights and a ton of lead tape to see what works best for you.  

A word of advice, as with all of your clubs, once you figure out your sweet spot/range for what works best for your, write it down and look for it when you decide that you just HAVE to do something different, lol!

Epic MAX LS 8° w/AD BB

Razr Fit 12° w/VS Voodoo 
Epic Flash 16° w/Rogue M•AX
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 53, 59, 64 w/PX
White Hot #5 Center Shafted
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

It seems to me that speed-control is an especially important asset for developing a successful putting game....

It also seems to me that maintaining very light grip pressure throughout the entire stroke (back-stroke/transition/through-stroke) is an imperative for sensing the speed of the putterhead, which of course is a main contributor towards good speed-control.

Once again, it seems to me that it's just about impossible to maintain extremely light grip-pressure and control the clubface with an overly-heavy clubhead. This is especially true during the transition phase of the stroke.

Just my take - YMMV

Edited by Joe Duffer

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

I have 5 putters in my collection that are stamped with the "Tour Only"  wording... 2 are 350gr. 1 is 358gr. 2 are 365gr....making the aveage 358gr...the only putter I have that was actually played on Tour is an old mid 1990's Scottsman 944....I have never pulled it apart to weigh the head , my guess 340gr... as for head weight for green speed , most of my putters are set up to all feel the same for static weight and balance...I use smooth or light milled faces for slow greens , deep milled faces for fast greens......

"Tour Issue" or "Tour Only" is a marketing scheme, no more and no less.  Most tour players do not have that stamped in their putters.  If those words are added it is only because of the CNC milling done to create the head.  Any putter that says "Tour Issue" or "Tour Only"  most likely will come in weights greater than 340g and is meant for the consumer who wants to play what the pros play.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 9.0°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade E (PW) bent to 50°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag