It's official: USGA, R&A propose anchor ban

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about the ban one way or the other. I don't anchor and have never even thought about doing so. I do think the reasons for them doing this are poor. This ban is taking effect because recent major championship winners have used this method and the R&A and USGA bluebloods don't like it. So because of the results of a handful of professional events the rules are going to change for everyone that plays the game. Seems like a bad decision to me.

From a UK perspective, we are struggling to attract young golfers to clubs and maintain the current membership numbers............so what do the ruling bodies do? automatically make it alot harder than it already is to achieve and maintain numbers. I for one am not an anchorer however I have used one from time to time and as a scratch golfer myself I totally understand how to use one and the principle, this cannot be said for the average golfer! we have around 30 members at our club playing anchored putters and bar 3-4 of them they all use them incorrectly so those of you belating on about cheating etc be afraid be very afraid as the guys that have to switch just might work out that they putt better without anchoring and start taking you hard earned cash on a weekly basis!!!

Joking aside it should be banned for the pro's and not amateurs end of, it will only drive customers away from an already depleting and struggling market! WELL DONE R&A AND USGA YOU ABSOLUTE BUFFOONS!

If anchoring is overruled, it won't be any different, effect wise, than the controversial groove ruling that so many had cramps over. :lol: Yesterday I watched the PGA winner, from the junk, using wedge with new grooves, still stick his ball 5' from the pin, and I mean stick on reasonably fast green. Point is, some people make more out of such changes than are warranted.

Putting with a regulation putter is no different than hitting an effective wedge shot with new grooves; both are about technique. If I can make 3 birdies in yesterdays round with a standard putter, and walk away with my pittance of a score, there is no reason a professional golfer can't excel with a standard putter. Rules are not made for the few, but the majority!

And for those with physical limitations; my answer is use a long putter against the rules, and not play in competitions or for money. Life is filled with choices and their consequences. God forbid, I might face that decision some day too.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

i find it laughable that people think banning the anchor is going to prevent kids from enjoying golf, or that its going to run golfers out of the game, or that this is sucking the life out of golf. Really? sorry i just dont think that if some kid can't anchor his putter that he's going to find another sport to play because of that, or that for some reason he won't find the game fun otherwise. Agree or disagree with the ban, i just think people are making a huge deal out of nothing. this ruling isn't going to make or break the growth of golf.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='NoCalHack' timestamp='1369145688' post='7075842']
On a side note, anyone else think that Mike Davis looks like the Blackjack dealer on Vegas Vacation?
[/quote]

Hah, Wallace Shawn.

You wanna use the long putter, huh? I'll tell you what, you give me your long putter, we'll go out back, I'll cut your putter in half, kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day... :D

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1369170524' post='7079544']
[quote name='NoCalHack' timestamp='1369145688' post='7075842']
On a side note, anyone else think that Mike Davis looks like the Blackjack dealer on Vegas Vacation?
[/quote]

Hah, Wallace Shawn.

You wanna use the long putter, huh? I'll tell you what, you give me your long putter, we'll go out back, I'll cut your putter in half, kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day... :D
[/quote]

Inconceivable!!!

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1369170057' post='7079504']
i find it laughable that people think banning the anchor is going to prevent kids from enjoying golf, or that its going to run golfers out of the game, or that this is sucking the life out of golf. Really? sorry i just dont think that if some kid can't anchor his putter that he's going to find another sport to play because of that, or that for some reason he won't find the game fun otherwise. Agree or disagree with the ban, i just think people are making a huge deal out of nothing. this ruling isn't going to make or break the growth of golf.
[/quote]
Maybe not kids, what about the 30 year olds who've played long enough to develop the yips? I think at my golf club, like most, there are about 20 members between 25-35 years old. There are juniors, and seniors, and no one inbetween!

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1354114431' post='5989187']
I think they should have taken the ruling one step further and said the putter cannot be longer than the longest club in the bag. Why... a long putter gives an unfair advantage when taking a drop.
[/quote]

Totally agree on that one. Furthermore, I'm happy they get rid of the long putters, or at least ban anchoring. It's ugly, an abomination. I wish they took it a bit further though, only the HANDS should be allowed to touch the grip of the club. The forearm stroke should be banned as well. Hands on grip. That is golf.

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1369212004' post='7082874']
[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1369170057' post='7079504']
[/quote]
Maybe not kids, what about the 30 year olds who've played long enough to develop the yips? I think at my golf club, like most, there are about 20 members between 25-35 years old. There are juniors, and seniors, and no one inbetween!
[/quote]

I have seen exactly ONE player using a belly putter, and that's because he is my golf buddy and neighbour. Ever since the long putters came out that's the only one I've seen. And if the fact you can't use a belly putter in competition anymore makes you want to leave the game of golf, well, then good riddance to those people.

if i can't use grease on the face of my driver i'm out. i'm done with golf. if the usga doesn't care that i have fun by hitting every shot long and straight down the fairway then i'm quitting the game. i have no doubt millions of golfers will also follow and give up the game. the game is too hard. we need to grow the game by continually making it easier for all.

haha the whining about people giving up the game is pretty hilarious. i feel sorry for anyone who gives up the greatest game simply because they can't jam the putter in their gut.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Fair enough. Yips are never pleasant. And I wouldn't wish them on anyone. I think it is time bifurcation. Professionals are not the majority, and do not have our interests at heart. Hence why Tiger's opinion is as valid as mine. I don't think technique's should be banned because professionals disagree with it.

However I feel bad for any shop that's stocked up on long putters, sure they can be used, but not as they were supposed to! I went into a shop today and they had 50% off all long putters.

[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1354122970' post='5990079']
[quote name='GIR LOL' timestamp='1354119071' post='5989655']
If I hear one more recreational golfer saying they are "quitting the game because I can't play a normal putter due to back problems" I'm going to lose it. No one at your local course or country club is going to stop you from using your "illegal" putter. Chill out.
[/quote]

You're missing the point. Most players insist on playing by the rules, all the rules, regardless of whether they are playing a US Open qualifier or a Saturday morning skins game at the local muni.
[/quote]

Not so sure about that at all, I see many people with non-conforming irons and wedges, anybody you see with an iron set or wedges that is a bit older actaully.

• 3 months later...

I'm late to the party here but need to chime in. I think the evidence is pretty clear...

-Anchoring is NOT an advantage for everyone (otherwise, the clowns playing for millions would be "jamming them in their gut"
-Anchoring IS an advantage for some
-The USGA is a reactionary entity that cares more about what Old Tom Morris would think about the anchoring method than what Tim Finchem, the PGA of America, and most golfers on planet earth think.

Bottom Line: That shipped sailed 30 plus years ago. If the USGA/R&A had no problem with it 30 years ago, what prompted them to deem it illegal today? How is something legal 30 years ago, today, Dec 31, 2015 but illegal Jan 1, 2016?

USGA needs to figure out how to get rounds under 4 hours and get more people playing the greatest game ever. Stop writing rules for the world based off of Keegan, Ernie, and Webb.