Who was "Lake" and where did he go?

PingG10guy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the 10,000 hours concept is approaching urban myth status. It is certainly on the very high end of the amount of time needed to form a dominant habit, according to the research and to my own empirical research and observation working with my students making swing changes. And for golfers, a much more realistic goal is what I call "semi-mastery", or a level of repeatability of the formerly "new move" that is now quite familiar to the golfer, and one that he or she can easily feel in the moment that the move is happening. And that one can remember clearly in kinesthetic memory what that sensation feels like. The neuromuscuilar pathway is strong enough to get the job done, on the majority of one's swings.

I have developed a five stage training regimen for swng changes. First - intellectual understanding or language-based learning/insight, the basic theory behind what it is you are trying to acheive with that body part motion change, and why. Second - intuitive mind Deep Insight or "light bulb" moment that strengthens the brain/body connection and lays down the initial tracks of change. Three - visual training in the Proper Form through mainly slow motion movement pattern training in front of a mirror. Four - Feel-based training through slow motion, half speed and finally full speed swings with eyes closed. Five - repetition of the motion with your mind clearly focused in Feel Channel on the feeling of that new movement pattern. Lots of reps required in stage five to form a "semi-dominant" habit, or one that you can call upon through the conscious intention to do the new pattern based on the feel-sense memory of it. You now have a feel-dominant swing that you can take to the golf course and rely on to perform well, at least on most of your swings. Sometimes your subconscious mind will not "get the message" and the pattern will fail to manifest.

Over time, just hitting balls and playing, as you execute many thousands of swings, that feel-dominant swing pattern will become a dominant habit, without ever actually "practicing" the move.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1355265639' post='6053047']
I believe the 10,000 hours concept is approaching urban myth status. It is certainly on the very high end of the amount of time needed to form a dominant habit, according to the research and to my own empirical research and observation working with my students making swing changes. And for golfers, a much more realistic goal is what I call "semi-mastery", or a level of repeatability of the formerly "new move" that is now quite familiar to the golfer, and one that he or she can easily feel in the moment that the move is happening. And that one can remember clearly in kinesthetic memory what that sensation feels like. The neuromuscuilar pathway is strong enough to get the job done, on the majority of one's swings.

I have developed a five stage training regimen for swng changes. First - intellectual understanding or language-based learning/insight, the basic theory behind what it is you are trying to acheive with that body part motion change, and why. Second - intuitive mind Deep Insight or "light bulb" moment that strengthens the brain/body connection and lays down the initial tracks of change. Three - visual training in the Proper Form through mainly slow motion movement pattern training in front of a mirror. Four - Feel-based training through slow motion, half speed and finally full speed swings with eyes closed. Five - repetition of the motion with your mind clearly focused in Feel Channel on the feeling of that new movement pattern. Lots of reps required in stage five to form a "semi-dominant" habit, or one that you can call upon through the conscious intention to do the new pattern based on the feel-sense memory of it. You now have a feel-dominant swing that you can take to the golf course and rely on to perform well, at least on most of your swings. Sometimes your subconscious mind will not "get the message" and the pattern will fail to manifest.

Over time, just hitting balls and playing, as you execute many thousands of swings, that feel-dominant swing pattern will become a dominant habit, without ever actually "practicing" the move.
[/quote]

I like your thoughts on this and believe what you're saying. It just makes sense.

$$$$

[quote name='Lake' timestamp='1355326407' post='6056425']
The way I heard 10,000 hours of training explained was at TPI summit and it was in reference to playing golf a high level (mini-tour & up)...it encompassed good coaching, playing, training, etc..etc.

It wasn't in reference to making a swing change :)
[/quote]

Interesting comments on the 10,000 hours stuff though. I think I get cold feet with a piece. I read too much. If I didn't do college classes online then disconnecting my internet service would help me out a ton lol

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1355265639' post='6053047']

[/quote]
Sounds like you have put a lot of thought and work into developing your program.You must attract a good number of "serious " learners

Thanks, Russc - yes, my program is geared toward serious and passionate golfers of any skill level. This a "path of mastery" approach in terms of learning and training, and a "golf as reactive" sport or subconscious golf, as opposed to the golf that most golfers try to play, which is to use the thinking brain to "make" the body do or not do some mechanical move in a micro-second time frame inside the swing. The goal of all the motion mechanics is to form at least a semi-dominant habit, so you learn the move and then through training, achieve unconscious competence in that move, so that you no longer need to think about it, it just happens.