The Single Malt Scotch Thread

cardoustie

[quote name='toomanydimples' timestamp='1354764052' post='6025487']

Honorable mention: Hibiki 12 which is a Japanese whiskey from the Suntory distillery and not "Scotch" but I really enjoyed this one and it was very smooth.
[/quote] I got a bottle of their Yamazaki 12 for xmas and cracked it open to share. Holy smoothness. Easy and creamy. The three others that partook were also as surprised. I also received a bottle of Glenmorangie's Artein Private Edition. 15 years, Super Tuscan casks. I'll save that for special occasions.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1356557981' post='6119477']
ah, single malt scotch. one of life's great pleasures. i've tried a bunch over the past year, too many to list (or remember), so here's my current top 3.

[b]highland park 18 yr[/b] - received as a christmas gift from a very satisfied client about a week ago... really nice. smooth, with a little smoky burn at the end to let you know its there. i had previously only had the 12yr HP, which is also good, but this is at another level, in price and taste. [i] highly recommend[/i].
[b]balvenie carribbean cask 14 yr [/b]- last 2 years are 'finished' in an previously used rum cask. my bourbon buddies really like it. sweet and smooth, but with a lot more depth than bourbon imho. if i am introducing scotch to somebody for the first time, this is my go-to. [i]really highly recommend.[/i]
[b]lagavulin 2011 cask strength limited edition [/b]- all the peaty smokey brine you could ever want in a glass. i hated it at first, but grew to love it by the end of my first drink. spectacular and strong, not for the faint of heart. a man's scotch. [i]the best i've ever had.[/i]
[/quote]

Well done on the Lagavulin. It certainly is a required taste!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

So can someone recommend me, a relative novice at this, some reasonable single malts? I'm trying to get into the scotch thing.

I have a Glenlivet 12 right now which i like.

At our liquor store near my place (the SAQ for you quebecers!) they stock the following that i think i've seen in there:

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Glenmorangie original 10
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

maybe a few others, but these are mostly between 50-70$ CAD....anyone want to recommend me one? I'm liking the GlenLivet 12 i have

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1354644470' post='6017409']
I thought we'd start a thread for all the single malt lovers out there in golfwrx land.

I am not a giant fan of the really peaty versions but I do know some chaps love the stuff

Just back from Scotland in late Sept and go to try some beauties, including a 33 yr old Tomintoul

Also of note, they do make a single malt in Nova Scotia here in Canada (big legal troubles as they used the prefix name Glen). I was also quite surprised to buy a great scotch from our local store that is called Hellyers Rd, out of Tasmania, Australia. Quite ironic as I was born there

Here is a list of the [u][b]bottles[/b][/u] I have owned / tried / finished. I have kept some of the cooler tins, especially the golf related ones
Actually you did NOT buy " a great Scotch " out of Tasmania ,,, you may have bought a good whisky but I can assure you of one thing ,, if it was not produced in Scotland then it is NOT Scotch.

[b]Aberfeldy 12[/b]
[b]Aberlour[/b]
[b]Ardmore Traditional Cask[/b]
[b]Arran (The) Malt 100 proof[/b]
[b]Auchentoshan 10[/b]
[b]BalBlair 17 yr old 1995[/b]
[b]Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Distillery Banffshire[/b]
[b]Bowmore 12[/b]
[b]Bowmore 15[/b]
[b]Bowmore Mariner 15[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich 12 - Second Edition[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich 14 Royal Liverpool[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich 15 year old [/b]
[b]Bruichladdich 17th hole The Old Course St. Andrews[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich 1991 WMD II - The Yellow Submarine[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition_01[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich Rocks[/b]
[b]Bruichladdich Waves 7[/b]
[b]Cardhu Special Cask Reserve[/b]
[b]Cardhu 12[/b]
[b]Dalmore 12[/b]
[b]Dalwhinnie 15[/b]
[b]Deanston 12[/b]
[b]Deerstalker 10[/b]
[b]Edradour[/b]
[b]F - none yet[/b]
[b]Glen Garioch 8[/b]
[b]Glen Parker Speyside Special Reserve[/b]
[b]Glendronach Original 12yrs[/b]
[b]Glenfarclas 15[/b]
[b]Glenfiddich 12[/b]
[b]Glenfiddich 12 Special Reserve[/b]
[b]Glenfiddich 18[/b]
[b]Glenfiddich Clan Sutherland[/b]
[b]Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix[/b]
[b]GlenKinchie 10[/b]
[b]Glenlivet 12[/b]
[b]Glenlivet 12 Classic Courses Carnoustie Ed[/b]
[b]Glenlivet 18[/b]
[b]Glenmorangie Lasanta[/b]
[b]Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban[/b]
[b]Glenmorangie Sherry Wood 16 Men of Tain Handcrafted[/b]
[b]Glenrothes Single Speyside Select Reserve[/b]
[b]Highland Park 12[/b]
[b]Hellyers Road Tasmania[/b]
[b]Isle of Jura 10[/b]
[b]Johnny Walker Green[/b]
[b]Johnny Walker Swing[/b]
[b]K - none yet[/b]
[b]Lagavulin[/b]
[b]Laphroaig[/b]
[b]Longrow CV[/b]
[b]MacNamara Gaelic - Rum Finish[/b]
[b]N - none yet[/b]
[b]Oban 14yrs[/b]
[b]Old Parr Superior[/b]
[b]Old Pulteney 12[/b]
[b]P - none yet[/b]
[b]Robert Burns[/b]
[b]Scapa 14[/b]
[b]Singleton (The) 12[/b]
[b]St. Andrew's[/b]
[b]Strathisla 12[/b]
[b]Stronachie 12[/b]
[b]Tamdhu[/b]
[b]Tobermory 10[/b]
[b]Tormore 12[/b]
[b]Teanininch Lombard [/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1355149707' post='6045749']
For the sake of clarification only... Johnny Walker Blue is a blend. Not a Single Malt. And IMO not worth the money. Not saying it is bad stuff. But then that is why I buy Famous Grouse for my at home libation.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree with you more, Johnny Walker is probably one of the most over rated Scotch whiskies ,, I believe it's produced in Western Scotland ( Kilmarnock ).

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1356567583' post='6120165']
So can someone recommend me, a relative novice at this, some reasonable single malts? I'm trying to get into the scotch thing.

At our liquor store near my place (the SAQ for you quebecers!) they stock the following that i think i've seen in there:

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

maybe a few others, but these are mostly between 50-70$ CAD....anyone want to recommend me one? I'm liking the GlenLivet 12 i have
[/quote]
Just a matter of taste more than anything, a while back I had a bottle of 18 year old Glenlivet, I found it to be a nice malt but I actually preferred the 12 year old Glenfiddich which price wise was considerably cheaper.
Again simply a matter of personal preference of the whiskies you noted above I would lean towards the Glenmorangie or the Aberlour 12 ,, they're all good !

[quote name='buteman' timestamp='1356607495' post='6122709']
[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1355149707' post='6045749']
For the sake of clarification only... Johnny Walker Blue is a blend. Not a Single Malt. And IMO not worth the money. Not saying it is bad stuff. But then that is why I buy Famous Grouse for my at home libation.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree with you more, Johnny Walker is probably one of the most over rated Scotch whiskies ,, I believe it's produced in Western Scotland ( Kilmarnock ).
[/quote]

The people who think JW is a quality Scotch owe it to themselves to try a good single malt. Once they do it will be hard to go back to a blend.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

[/quote]

the glenlivet 12 yr is a good scotch, so there's nothing wrong with continuing to get what you like. out of the ones you've listed, i'd recommend the balvenie doublewood. for the name only. i mean, it's hilarious. if the name is that perfect, imagine what the scotch tastes like? :)

in all seriousness, the doublewood is a really good one. like the balvenie carribbean cask i mentioned earlier, the doublewood is "finished" in a different cask... in its case, a first fill spanish oak sherry cask. it's not as sweet as the carribbean cask, and that's good, it's different. i'd compare it to the glenmorainge quinta ruban, which is finished in a port cask (not as good as the doublewood).

the thing i focused on when i first started drinking scotch was [i]how[/i] i drank/ordered it. used to be blended scotch and club soda (JW Black) on the rocks. then i discovered single malts, and the soda and most of the ice went out the window. now it's a double, with one or two cubes of ice, and maybe a splash of water (for cask strength scotches). there's nothing finer after a good round of golf than an excellent single malt and a good cigar. yum.

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1356566838' post='6120113']
[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1356557981' post='6119477']
ah, single malt scotch. one of life's great pleasures. i've tried a bunch over the past year, too many to list (or remember), so here's my current top 3.

[b]highland park 18 yr[/b] - received as a christmas gift from a very satisfied client about a week ago... really nice. smooth, with a little smoky burn at the end to let you know its there. i had previously only had the 12yr HP, which is also good, but this is at another level, in price and taste. [i] highly recommend[/i].
[b]balvenie carribbean cask 14 yr [/b]- last 2 years are 'finished' in an previously used rum cask. my bourbon buddies really like it. sweet and smooth, but with a lot more depth than bourbon imho. if i am introducing scotch to somebody for the first time, this is my go-to. [i]really highly recommend.[/i]
[b]lagavulin 2011 cask strength limited edition [/b]- all the peaty smokey brine you could ever want in a glass. i hated it at first, but grew to love it by the end of my first drink. spectacular and strong, not for the faint of heart. a man's scotch. [i]the best i've ever had.[/i]
[/quote]

Well done on the Lagavulin. It certainly is a required taste!
[/quote]

thanks matt! i recently had an ardberg that was in the same ballpark, but couldn't touch the lagavulin overall. gotta stock up on the 2011 special editions... they stopped making them, and the price is going up up up. might be my first "do not open unless it's a really special occasion" bottle.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

[/quote]

Glenmorangie original 10
A fine single malt to learn to "aquire the taste".

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

Lagavulin 16 is always the one which will be empty first, while the Glenlivet 18 and Oban 14 don't go away that quickly.
I also have very fond memories of Isle of Jura 10, Laphroaig, Knockando and Talisker.
But if somebody asked me directly which one to bring, it would be Lagavulin 16 for sure.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Bunnahabhain is very underrated in my opinion. Only tried the 12yo but will try the others at some point. Other favourites include Scapa, Glenlivet, Dalmore, Balvenie and the list goes on. More a fan of the speyside malts which tend to be the smoother malts. Got a Glenfiddich 12 year old special reserve that I will be cracking open at new year.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day it was Chevas Regal and Haig & Haig Pinch, 'n those are blends. But I still like em... :)

Now? I don't have the pocket book for much other'dn these but... don't really have a favorite either but the Dalwhinnie 15 is consistently enjoyable, and don't knock the Speyburn 10.

[b]Dalwhinnie 15[/b]
[b]Bowmore 15[/b]
[b]Glenlivet 12[/b]
[b]Glenlivet 18[/b]
[b]Balvenie 12 double wood[/b]
[b]Balvenie 15[/b]
[b]Macallan 12 [/b]
[b]Speyburn 10[/b]

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

bought a 12 yr speyside [i]cardhu [/i]this evening because carribbean cask was all sold out. decent, but nothing memorable.
price was right however: on sale for well under $40.

my local liquor store also had a dozen bottles of the newly released balvenie 17 year doublewood for $106 (suggested retail is $129). wowsers. it can't be worth it, can it?
somebody please talk me out of buying and trying this.

(15 mins. later)

i'm now into my second glass of cardhu, and it's growing on me. a lot. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Awesome, I'll give that a try real soon.

During my 2 week holiday, I managed to empty a bowmore 15 darkest, glenlivet 15 french oak reserve, and 2/3 of an aberlour 12, all with friends of course ; ). Leaving me with only 1/3 of my glenlivet 18 and almost a full bottle of aberlour a'bunadh (batch 42, 60.3%). The a'bunadh is pretty wicked though, it will definitely warm you up.

If you're looking to ease your way into a more peaty scotch, the bowmore 15 is pretty good. Not too heavy on the peat and finishes very sweet on the palette. I got the glenlivet 15 french reserve at a local bevmo for a very good price of $37.99 a few weeks before Christmas and it was probably the best value for quality that I've had in a while.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1356564384' post='6119963']
[quote name='toomanydimples' timestamp='1354764052' post='6025487']
Honorable mention: Hibiki 12 which is a Japanese whiskey from the Suntory distillery and not "Scotch" but I really enjoyed this one and it was very smooth.
[/quote] I got a bottle of their Yamazaki 12 for xmas and cracked it open to share. Holy smoothness. Easy and creamy. The three others that partook were also as surprised. I also received a bottle of Glenmorangie's Artein Private Edition. 15 years, Super Tuscan casks. I'll save that for special occasions.

--kC
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Had a lagavulin special edition the other night while at some hoity toity foodie place that the wife wanted to go to.

Dumb question: When did 'small plates' become socially acceptable? They certainly were charging 'big plate' prices. I had four different plates of food and didn't get full.

At least the scotch was excellent. Gotta buy a bottle of this, it was fantastic.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

• 2 weeks later...

I've added 3 or 4 new ones to the list

Tobermory 15 year old
Bruichladdich Sherry Cask
Ancnoc 16 yr old

All three above are fantastic and the Tobermory came in a sweet box

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='jaskanski' timestamp='1362000802' post='6515537']
Lagavulin is certainly an acquired taste - smoked peat is an understatement really. Think Laphroig but richer.
Tried a Glenlivet 18 this christmas and was very satisfied with it. Other faves in the cabinet are a Knockando 12, good old Glenmorangie 10 and a rather nice 1977 Jura
[/quote]

my FIL likes the 15 yr glenlivet french oak that i bought him, but it was more 'meh' to me. i prefer the glenlivet 12 or 18 to their french oak bottle. never heard of or tried knockando or jura - how would you describe them?
thanks.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1362592532' post='6558525']
Never explored or developed a taste for scotch, but recently tried something that I found so unique and different that I had to pick up a bottle. Laphroig 10-yr. A very unusual earthy taste that has piqued my interest and perhaps launched me on a new journey.
[/quote]

my friend raves about Laphroig and he is a scotch guy. He also had me try Ardbeg the other day which had a really interesting taste.

I've decided i'm a bourbon guy, however

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Leaving Saturday for a week of golf in central Florida. The liquor store will determine what I buy on which all can imbibe.
I'm hoping Laphorig or Lagavulin 16 populate the shelves.
If no one likes it... all the more for me.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1362664343' post='6563181']
Leaving Saturday for a week of golf in central Florida. The liquor store will determine what I buy on which all can imbibe.
I'm hoping Laphorig or Lagavulin 16 populate the shelves.
If no one likes it... all the more for me.
[/quote]Awesome. :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

-Bowmore 12
-Glenfarclas 12
-Macallan 10 fine oak
-Balvenie double wood 12
-Aberlour 12

[/quote]
On your list I like the Balvenie a lot. Macallan's 18 is my favorite to keep on hand though. The Macallan's 10 is nothing to right home about. Try Oban 14 and one that I haven't seen anyone bring up is Jura...the 16 is really good. My cousins work for a liquor distributor in NYC and sent me some to try and it was great. Agree with a couple of others that the JW Blue is so-so...just overrated and not worth the price tag. I have a bottle at home and it stays full the longest. Whatever you decide to pour, just make sure you get a good smoke too i.e. Cohiba, Padron, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1362662424' post='6563041']
I think I've decided I'm a bourbon guy also. Even though I have yet to develop the taste for bourbon! ha ha. Support the home town product and all. But that is a different thread!
[/quote]

I love them both. So many friends of mine feel strongly about one over the other I just don't understand why. Obviously very different but I'm an equal opportunity whiskey drinker :)

I've been experimenting lately (not like most in this thread!) and have determined I really enjoy the following:

Macallan
Oban
Lagavulin
Caol Ila

The only single malt I really didn't enjoy was Ardbeg, which is strange because I've liked all other Islays quite a bit.