2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf pass Phoenix. Wanna be ASU Fan

Im so close to moving off the east coast. Its down to Orlando, Fla which i know. And Phoenix AZ where Ive never been. In my research I found some offers for golf Passes for the Phoenix area. Some show there rates others do not?? I have lived in Myrtle Beach befor where they sell golf passes, and they were a ripe off. I really want Phoenix to be my first choice, but affordable golf is a must. Look i understand in season but i like to play twice a week without going to the bank!!! Please a little info on local golf, Help me become an ASU FAN !!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Phoenix has two golf passes available that save you money, and offer better rates than what you can find on golfnow.

First, for a high end track, the wekopass for Wekopa. With the card, I think rates max out at $90 which is still $$$ but compared to what you'll pay without it, it's a decent deal. I think it's like $125 fr a year, one of the best courses in the state.

Now if you're a value golfer like myself, I opt for the city of Phoenix golf card.$50/year, free round day of purchase, and every 20 points earned gets you a free round. Winter 18 hole earns 2 points, summer is 4. Saves you a lot at Papago which is a solid track, and at Aguila and other city muni's.

I think Papago maxes out at like $40 to walk on weekends with the pass, like $65 without?

IMO the troon card is a rip off as is the ob card and southwest pass, golfnow is often the same rate or cheaper than that offered by the pass.

I will say that while high season gets expensive out here, summer time gets dirt cheap(good places can be had for $25 and under, great places for under $50.)

What my buddies and I often do is just bounce around the munis during peak season, walking to save $$$, then play the big money places in the summer time when the courses are dead.

Also, some might agree with me here, but I think the courses play better in the heat when everything is firm and fast.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1355191819' post='6048955']
IMO, Phoenix has two golf passes available that save you money, and offer better rates than what you can find on golfnow.

First, for a high end track, the wekopass for Wekopa. With the card, I think rates max out at $90 which is still $$$ but compared to what you'll pay without it, it's a decent deal. I think it's like $125 fr a year, one of the best courses in the state.

Now if you're a value golfer like myself, I opt for the city of Phoenix golf card.$50/year, free round day of purchase, and every 20 points earned gets you a free round. Winter 18 hole earns 2 points, summer is 4. Saves you a lot at Papago which is a solid track, and at Aguila and other city muni's.

I think Papago maxes out at like $40 to walk on weekends with the pass, like $65 without?

IMO the troon card is a rip off as is the ob card and southwest pass, golfnow is often the same rate or cheaper than that offered by the pass.

I will say that while high season gets expensive out here, summer time gets dirt cheap(good places can be had for $25 and under, great places for under $50.)

What my buddies and I often do is just bounce around the munis during peak season, walking to save $$$, then play the big money places in the summer time when the courses are dead.

Also, some might agree with me here, but I think the courses play better in the heat when everything is firm and fast.
[/quote] Wow thats what im talken about. the PGA card did not give prices, now i see why.. Thankyou. If I move to Phoenix, we will tee it . You boys play WOLF in the desert ???

Never played it before, but I'm down. We usually just play straight up, sometimes skins when the wrx guys get together.

Hen you looking to move? What part of town?

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Fore_Life and I have the exact same opinion about how to do it on a budget.

I have played plenty of wolf. I prefer to play dots with a mixed group, but wolf is fun if you have 4 solid players (sucks with too many strokes imo)

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1355194484' post='6049213']
Fore_Life and I have the exact same opinion about how to do it on a budget.

I have played plenty of wolf. I prefer to play dots with a mixed group, but wolf is fun if you have 4 solid players (sucks with too many strokes imo)
[/quote] Absolutley never given strokes playen WOLF lost all my cash in 9 holes !!! long dayzz waiten tables to pay them boyss back LOL :)

[quote name='Myrtlebeach2K10' timestamp='1355194555' post='6049223']
Wolf is a form of skins its super competive game.. Im moven in May. 2013,, is there any part of Phoenix i should avoid?? Its between Orlando and Phoenix lived on the east coast my whole life really need a time zone change TOO!!!
[/quote]

Take a trip out here in the next few months (maybe around when we do our next get together in february or so) and some of us can show you around. Like anywhere else there are pockets to live in and pockets to avoid. Your budget/work/interests is the real issue in deciding where to live imo.

WITB:

[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1355238605' post='6050895']
[quote name='Myrtlebeach2K10' timestamp='1355194555' post='6049223']
Wolf is a form of skins its super competive game.. Im moven in May. 2013,, is there any part of Phoenix i should avoid?? Its between Orlando and Phoenix lived on the east coast my whole life really need a time zone change TOO!!!
[/quote]

Take a trip out here in the next few months (maybe around when we do our next get together in february or so) and some of us can show you around. Like anywhere else there are pockets to live in and pockets to avoid. Your budget/work/interests is the real issue in deciding where to live imo.
[/quote] Thankyou .. the info was great. Im still waiting to see the new web.com tour schedule, i caddie on this tour part time. so if there close to Phoenix, I will take you up on the tour!!!

I don't understand why people come on these boards asking for recommendations for golf/ hotel/ etc? Opionions vary based on tastes/ budget/ etc. You can get a steak at Sizzler and you can get a steak at Flemings... but the experience/ quality is not the same. You ALWAYS get what you pay for. Playing a great resort course in February at $150 + is NOT the same experience as playing the very same course in July at $50. Quit kidding yourselves...

Just go to Greenskeeper.org and figure it out on your own based on "Your Own" expectations.

Clueless, I disagree man.

First of all, yes the courses will be green in feb, but in my experience at least, the courses play much softer. Maybe appealing from a visual standpoint, but not nessisarily from a playing experience. Maybe the greens will roll a tad faster, but is that worth $100 more? Not to me.

Obviously it's going to be hot in the summer, but that means less rounds, which leads to less foot traffic on greens, less unrepaired ball marks and divots, etc. 4.5 hr rounds turn in to 3 hr rounds in the summer.

For me, a frugal golfer by circumstance, $150 better be the best conditions I've ever set foot on, and I just haven't felt like that out here I AZ at least. I can honestly say that I feel you receive more bang for your buck in the summer than in winter.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1355280109' post='6054393']

First of all, yes the courses will be green in feb, but in my experience at least, the courses play much softer. Maybe appealing from a visual standpoint, but not nessisarily from a playing experience. Maybe the greens will roll a tad faster, but is that worth $100 more? Not to me.

Obviously it's going to be hot in the summer, but that means less rounds, which leads to less foot traffic on greens, less unrepaired ball marks and divots, etc. 4.5 hr rounds turn in to 3 hr rounds in the summer.

For me, a frugal golfer by circumstance, $150 better be the best conditions I've ever set foot on, and I just haven't felt like that out here I AZ at least. I can honestly say that I feel you receive more bang for your buck in the summer than in winter.
[/quote]So well said, lived in two resort towns and the off season was allways the best for golf aka cold weather here or hot weather there. Thanx that was well said, and what i was afraid of LOL..

[quote name='Myrtlebeach2K10' timestamp='1355280556' post='6054457']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1355280109' post='6054393']

[/quote]So well said, lived in two resort towns and the off season was allways the best for golf aka cold weather here or hot weather there. Thanx that was well said, and what i was afraid of LOL..
[/quote]

I think you proved my point. You justify bargain golf the same way frugal diners justify a steak at Sizzler. If money was no object... your opinions would change. That was the point of my post. Asking for reviews is useless unless everyone is from the same economic background. Hey, a room at the Four Seasons and a room at Motel 6 both have beds :)!

The room at the four seasons in July is the same room in December, just cheaper, right? Or do they put in cheap beds and offer less service off peak season?

Money wouldn't change my opinion nessisarily. For what I pay to play Papago, a great course, I just don't see why I'd pay 100+ more to play in Scottsdale at peak rates. It's not worth the difference, at least not as a resident.

Btw, the difference between a sizzler steak and a city hall is one you can tell, and worth it. I just don't see the margin in golf out here to be worth it.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

I would like to say thanx to all the help good info on WRX all the time. Fore_Life. you got it right my man growing up as a caddie, i was spoiled playenn the CC every monday and thur. Now that i pay for golf its about the deal, and the condotion of course. I play a local 36 hole pub course in York Pa now the price is low and they do a good job with the greens. My kids work for the super high end Pub course that is right down the street, but I can't justify payen twice as much for not 2x better conditions. Clueless, i move all the time and like to see what local people think of the golf courses in there area. If you ever travel to the mid atlantic i can tell you excatly where to go play and get the most bang for your buck. As far as hotles, dam boys im a caddie i sleep in a beat up RSX, tents, super 8s. And for restuarants, ive tended bar for 25 years, its all up to the Cheff, if they have a cook your in trouble.

See you Phoenix boys this spring CAN'T WAIT...

Having played all the high end courses both in winter and in summer the only real difference is temp and price. As a resident while I can afford it I just cant justify spending peak prices for something I can wait a few months and get for 1/3 the price. IMO most of the courses are actually better in summer they play faster and pace of play is much better

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

My parents moved to Phoenix 2 years ago and I like visiting. More specifically, the Chandler area is where they are. Being from Ohio and now in CT, I bring my clubs everytime I go because the courses are just so different. So far I've played Kokopelli, Boulders, Whirlwind- Cat Tail, Ocotillo, and Ancala CC. The Boulders was in the dead heat of summer and my first ever round of golf in AZ...not a soul to be found on the course. I'm sorry but when I have 3-4 months of the year taken away from golf due to cold weather, 110* will not stop me from golfing. I don't believe the dry heat bs (110 is 110, ill sweat with or without humidity). Drink a lot of water and you're fine. I spent a summer in Jacksonville, FL and its the same thing, it's like a Ghost Town in the summer.

Now would I ever live in AZ? Never. Being an east coaster I love flying home to trees, grass, foliage. It made me appreciate what New England has to offer. Ok not that much except spectacular views. As for golf, I just enjoy the tracks in the Midwest and east coast better. AZ courses make me nervous to hit bad shots cause I'm terrified of snakes, so that's a whole other thing to worry about. AZ feels more pinpoint acccurate golf vs. grip it and rip and if it's a bad shot hope it kicks off a tree and you have a shot.

I am flying out next Thursday for 5 days. Any other courses you'd recommend to play? Phoenix is a deceiving large city. Someone says their from Pheonix and you could be an hour away from where you assume they could be from, yet all live within city limits.

Play vista verde and or Wekopa Saguaro

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It is just ok.... local mini tour guy just posted a 59 out there in a tournament.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1355373677' post='6060737']
My parents moved to Phoenix 2 years ago and I like visiting. More specifically, the Chandler area is where they are. Being from Ohio and now in CT, I bring my clubs everytime I go because the courses are just so different. So far I've played Kokopelli, Boulders, Whirlwind- Cat Tail, Ocotillo, and Ancala CC. The Boulders was in the dead heat of summer and my first ever round of golf in AZ...not a soul to be found on the course. I'm sorry but when I have 3-4 months of the year taken away from golf due to cold weather, 110* will not stop me from golfing. I don't believe the dry heat bs (110 is 110, ill sweat with or without humidity). Drink a lot of water and you're fine. I spent a summer in Jacksonville, FL and its the same thing, it's like a Ghost Town in the summer.

Now would I ever live in AZ? Never. Being an east coaster I love flying home to trees, grass, foliage. It made me appreciate what New England has to offer. Ok not that much except spectacular views. As for golf, I just enjoy the tracks in the Midwest and east coast better. AZ courses make me nervous to hit bad shots cause I'm terrified of snakes, so that's a whole other thing to worry about. AZ feels more pinpoint acccurate golf vs. grip it and rip and if it's a bad shot hope it kicks off a tree and you have a shot.

I am flying out next Thursday for 5 days. Any other courses you'd recommend to play? Phoenix is a deceiving large city. Someone says their from Pheonix and you could be an hour away from where you assume they could be from, yet all live within city limits.
[/quote] Sounds good let me know what you think of the courses you play, condition and price. I have never been out west, so when getting ready for my next

move it was down to two cities, Orlando and Phoenix. Ive been all over Florida but never steped foot past the mississippi river I thinks its time. People have told me that the lack of GREEN will be a schock, and thats fine i think. As a person who has been up and down the east coast two times maybe a lack of green, and 110 temps will be a nice change. Thankyou..

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1355370394' post='6060501']
Having played all the high end courses both in winter and in summer the only real difference is temp and price. As a resident while I can afford it I just cant justify spending peak prices for something I can wait a few months and get for 1/3 the price. IMO most of the courses are actually better in summer they play faster and pace of play is much better ??? is where do the residents go play during peak times.. Myrtle beach was the same way too winter was great !!
[/quote]

[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1355375789' post='6060875']
Thanks One Putt, ill check em out. My dad recommended Legacy, but he isn't a golfer. Any good?
[/quote]

I love the legacy! Just played there this past weekend and the course couldn't be in better shape.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1355408275' post='6061885']
[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1355375789' post='6060875']
Thanks One Putt, ill check em out. My dad recommended Legacy, but he isn't a golfer. Any good?
[/quote]

I love the legacy! Just played there this past weekend and the course couldn't be in better shape.
[/quote]

is there a huge difference between local county rates in Az ??

What Blake said.

Hey another thing worth mentioning is that yeah, phx is desert and lots of it, but an hour or so north of the valley up in Prescott and Sedona will offer some great change of scenery, and cooler summer time temps.

I do agree with the poster than mentioned Midwest golfcourses, I definitely prefer the courses I've played out in the Chicago area and out in Tennesse. Or even up in Oregon over the desert style. I'm not the biggest fan of desert golf design lol

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1355444184' post='6065177']
Well if anyone in the Pheonix area needs a spot filled Christmas weekend, I'll have my sticks (shiny new MP-64's still in the plastic!!).
[/quote]

We may be able to make that happen.

WITB:

[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1355804200' post='6084155']
I'll be arriving Friday evening on the 21st through Wednesay the 26th. Don't really have any set plans yet. I will be staying close to Wild Horse Pass/Whirlwind area. PM me if you have any ideas
[/quote]

Maybe we can get a trip into Southern Dunes if you are staying down there. I am out for the weekend, Not going to be able to get out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. How is the 26th?

WITB: