Nike posts picture of 5 new faces ~ STANLEY, WATNEY, OLESEN, NOH . More to come tonight - BAGS POSTE

I don't see why they're waiting until the 7th for the rest either. Jason Sobel on Twitter: [i]"[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]For those asking, full list of signings will be on Golf Channel website soon. Check back often, because there will be plenty of updates."[/background][/color][/i]

[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]So we should know who they all are before the 7th.[/background][/color]

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like in weddings/olympics and such, the most important person is always in the middle.
What are they going to do when they have 3 or 5 golfers in a photo, 2 of them being Tiger and Rory.
And has Rory got a clause in his contract to always stand on a box when next to Tiger.
And is it true Nike won't allow their players to wear grey slacks?

[quote name='deasy55' timestamp='1357067090' post='6148891']
I like the way they are doing the more to be announced later cliffhanger considering nobody cares.
[/quote]

Obviously you do, or you wouldn't be reading this thread.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1357068000' post='6148963']
I like the way they are doing the more to be announced later cliffhanger considering nobody cares.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I take a look at all the threads in tour talk. It doesn't mean I care about them.

I mean like, do people really care what kind of brand people will have on the front of generic clothes and equipment, which at that level is all the same anyway?

[quote name='deasy55' timestamp='1357068264' post='6148983']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I take a look at all the threads in tour talk. It doesn't mean I care about them.

I mean like, do people really care what kind of brand people will have on the front of generic clothes and equipment, which at that level is all the same anyway?
[/quote]

I think your mistake was viewing yourself as [i]everybody[/i]. Regardless of your own opinions, you shouldn't assume all others are the same.

I've never understood why some people like to change "I don't care" to "nobody cares." That can be offensive.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I mean like, yeah people obviously care home slice. This topic will have 20 pages in a couple days

[quote name='Birdies4Days' timestamp='1357065746' post='6148715']

[size=4][color=#333333]NICK WATNEY BAG[/color]

[b]Driver: [/b]Nike VR_S Covert — 11.5 degrees, neutral position[/size]
[/quote]

Has Watney always played a driver with that much loft?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

All I know is that if TM Or Callaway tried pulling this "More announcements in a week!" business, trying to build anticipation, the "Horrible marketing crap!" posts would drown out all others. This right here, this phony attempt at making news where there is no news, is weak. Just announce it already, we know already. They may be thinking that there are a larger% of golfers who don't pay attention to this stuff as far in advace like WRX'rs do and they are right, but this isn't a secret to anybody anymore.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1357068701' post='6149017']
[color=#333333]NICK WATNEY BAG[/color]

[b]Driver: [/b]Nike VR_S Covert — 11.5 degrees, neutral position
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great question... doesn't he work with Butch Harmon? And didn't Harmon have Woodland change to a high-lofted driver this year? Could be part of Harmon's philosophy or something.

Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1357068620' post='6149009']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think your mistake was viewing yourself as [i]everybody[/i]. Regardless of your own opinions, you shouldn't assume all others are the same.

I've never understood why some people like to change "I don't care" to "nobody cares." [b]That can be offensive[/b].
[/quote]

Yes, I bet I hurt the golf brands very badly.................sorry golf brands.

I change my original meaning to nobody [b]should[/b] care then.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1357068826' post='6149025']
All I know is that if TM Or Callaway tried pulling this "More announcements in a week!" business, trying to build anticipation, the "Horrible marketing crap!" posts would drown out all others. This right here, this phony attempt at making news where there is no news, is weak. Just announce it already, we know already. They may be thinking that there are a larger% of golfers who don't pay attention to this stuff as far in advace like WRX'rs do and they are right, but this isn't a secret to anybody anymore.
[/quote]

Or on the flipside, maybe some are just mad that what Nike is doing today is beating TaylorMade at their own game: marketing.

[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1357068978' post='6149051']
[/quote]

Or on the flipside, maybe some are just mad that what Nike is doing today is beating TaylorMade at their own game: marketing.
[/quote]

The folks at TM and others are sighing deeply if this is what Nike calls "beating them at marketing" what better marketer of golf clubs could there possibly be that Tiger Woods? Take a look and see what TM has done in sales since about 97. The issue has been, is, and will always be, does it work, does it feel good, does it look good? If Nike clubs meet those criteria, they will sell more of them. Marketing and advertising exposes consumers to a brand, performance of a brand keeps customers.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1357069929' post='6149113']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The folks at TM and others are sighing deeply if this is what Nike calls "beating them at marketing" what better marketer of golf clubs could there possibly be that Tiger Woods? Take a look and see what TM has done in sales since about 97. The issue has been, is, and will always be, does it work, does it feel good, does it look good? If Nike clubs meet those criteria, they will sell more of them. Marketing and advertising exposes consumers to a brand, performance of a brand keeps customers.
[/quote]

Disagree completely when it comes to the average golf consumer. For them, they walk into Dicks and say "I want that white driver I saw on tv. I think I need a [i]flex[/i] shaft." So they fork over a couple hundred dollars and are happy because they think they're just like Player X that they root for on Sundays. Its the same reason people drink beverages stars push and buy shoes LeBron wears.

Nike Golf turned this in to some sort of national signing day. Is anyone talking about new TaylorMade, Ping, Titleist, Cleveland, or Callaway staffers today? No. What do you think they will be talking about on the Morning Drive tomorrow? They created a bunch of buzz around something that is usually a footnote. People can hate on Nike all they want, but they did a great job with this.

Well done Nike! They are putting out quality equipment and are now signing the top players and will continue to sign more in the coming years. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

It will be interesting to see how they work with both Tiger and Rory. My guess is that they have Rory to promote a sportier / younger clothing line, while the Tiger Woods line will continue to be the high end clothes.

Are there any other companies out there that can sign a player for clothes, clubs, shoes and ball under on brand name? I can't think of one, and Nike truly has an advantage when it comes to this. There is no confusion about which brand their players represent.

[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1357068862' post='6149031']
[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1357068701' post='6149017']
[color=#333333]NICK WATNEY BAG[/color]

[b]Driver: [/b]Nike VR_S Covert — 11.5 degrees, neutral position
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great question... doesn't he work with Butch Harmon? And didn't Harmon have Woodland change to a high-lofted driver this year? Could be part of Harmon's philosophy or something.
[/quote]

I remember reading he had a 12.5 910 d2 not to long ago

Kudos to Nike - TMAG spent their wad on doodads and commercials that resemble something by the Jack Hamm production team. (think Dicks'/TMAG commercial "[i]These are irons built with driver DNA![/i]")

..but their only top ten player is Justin Rose. And they only have one other player in the top 20...Sergio.

Nike is enhancing quality control (I handled the new Covert driver and while I play no Nike clubs and don't personally care for the red paint, the build quality is fantastic and the hosel fitting sleeve is built very well - feels like it will last - the sound is incredible - quiet but powerful) and Nike is getting quality players to represent their brand. They really seam to be advancing their name as a major golf manufacturer through the use of quality, not fluff.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I was thinking the same thing, and while it makes sense to an extent they aren't really hiding much with those silhouettes.

[quote name='mikeoxlongball' timestamp='1357071552' post='6149275']
Aren't these 2 the only ones of the "new" Nike staff playing this week? Maybe Nike was forced to announce these 2 since we will be seeing them decked out this week
[/quote]

[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1357070358' post='6149163']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disagree completely when it comes to the average golf consumer. For them, they walk into Dicks and say "I want that white driver I saw on tv. I think I need a [i]flex[/i] shaft." So they fork over a couple hundred dollars and are happy because they think they're just like Player X that they root for on Sundays. Its the same reason people drink beverages stars push and buy shoes LeBron wears.

Nike Golf turned this in to some sort of national signing day. Is anyone talking about new TaylorMade, Ping, Titleist, Cleveland, or Callaway staffers today? No. What do you think they will be talking about on the Morning Drive tomorrow? They created a bunch of buzz around something that is usually a footnote. People can hate on Nike all they want, but they did a great job with this.
[/quote]

Thats all great but no one buys golf clubs for the same reasons they buy a beverage or lebrons shoes. Most everyone who buys a golf club has some expectation to how it performs. No one expects a shoe to make them a basketball star. And even the least sophisticated golf consumer probably is aware that the "who is on X's staff" has far more to do with the money they get than the gear itself. And yes, there is a thread on Stewart Cink moving to TM, There is another thread detailing all of the moves. To watch who goes where is fun, but it doesn't mean anything other than, "oh, that guy has a lot more money now". And if the consumer is so mind numbed to walk in and ask for the driver they saw on TV then why have Nike clubs not been the top seller in every category from 1999-2009? You can't possibly get any more exposure than TW gave them. Those things, seeing commercials or guys on TV playing clubs gets people into the stores and does result in sales, But customers are kept by performance or other desirable things like feel, aesthetics etc If you think that TM could have produced junk clubs for the last decade and gained all this market share, then just look at Callaway. They have Phil, Ernie, Arnold freaking Palmer, Annika....Household names, championship names. And their sales plummeted because their products were sub par. Whether that comes from appearance or feel or actual distance and accuracy parameters, it doesn't matter. Marketing and "who plays our clubs" helps gets clubs in peoples hands but sustainability in market comes from performance.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1357073063' post='6149405']
[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1357070358' post='6149163']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats all great but no one buys golf clubs for the same reasons they buy a beverage or lebrons shoes. Most everyone who buys a golf club has some expectation to how it performs. No one expects a shoe to make them a basketball star. And even the least sophisticated golf consumer probably is aware that the "who is on X's staff" has far more to do with the money they get than the gear itself. And yes, there is a thread on Stewart Cink moving to TM, There is another thread detailing all of the moves. To watch who goes where is fun, but it doesn't mean anything other than, "oh, that guy has a lot more money now". And if the consumer is so mind numbed to walk in and ask for the driver they saw on TV then why have Nike clubs not been the top seller in every category from 1999-2009? You can't possibly get any more exposure than TW gave them. Those things, seeing commercials or guys on TV playing clubs gets people into the stores and does result in sales, But customers are kept by performance or other desirable things like feel, aesthetics etc If you think that TM could have produced junk clubs for the last decade and gained all this market share, then just look at Callaway. They have Phil, Ernie, Arnold freaking Palmer, Annika....Household names, championship names. And their sales plummeted because their products were sub par. Whether that comes from appearance or feel or actual distance and accuracy parameters, it doesn't matter. Marketing and "who plays our clubs" helps gets clubs in peoples hands but sustainability in market comes from performance.
[/quote]

Bankers Club will get you as buzzed as Ciroc but people buy Ciroc because Diddy pushes it. Forged irons are in many ways the same, but people buy Titleist because they are marketed as elite.

And Stewart Cink created the buzz himself because he loves social media. TaylorMade did not.

And the two best reasons I see almost daily as to why Nike Golf didn't catch fire was because the generation with disposable income at the time they entered the sport didn't see them as a golf brand. Things are changing now that new generations of consumers enter the market. The second reason, and it is not meant to derail the thread in any way, is that there are people that would never touch Nike clubs because of who their lead spokesman was/is, and it has nothing to do with his golfing abilities.

[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1357077720' post='6149755']
second to last has to be noh

[url="http://e0.365dm.com/12/08/660x350/SeungYul-Noh_2820842.jpg"]http://e0.365dm.com/...Noh_2820842.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

Noh was with Titleist too? At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the 5th guy was Adam Scott, although I highly doubt it.