Has Bubba made Ping cool again?

daveltb

Watching play at Waialae (Sony Open) and noticed an abundance of Ping bags, most young and among the leaders. I'm not aware of any new strategy by Ping to sponsor as many players as say TM, but I'm definitely seeing more Ping sponsored bags on TV.

What do you think? Did Bubba's playoff win at the Masters influence the next generation of tour players?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='daveltb' timestamp='1357947842' post='6212241']
Watching play at Waialae (Sony Open) and noticed an abundance of Ping bags, most young and among the leaders. I'm not aware of any new strategy by Ping to sponsor as many players as say TM, but I'm definitely seeing more Ping sponsored bags on TV.

What do you think? Did Bubba's playoff win at the Masters influence the next generation of tour players?
[/quote]

Bubba won the Masters last year. Most if not all of these young Tour players you're seeing at the Sony were playing Ping well prior to that either in college or on the Web.com Tour

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Was PING not cool at some point? Must have missed that in my twenty-two years of playing golf. Go figure...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

i dont think anything associated with bubba is cool. i find him to be a over grown immature whining baby who never seems to pass up the opportunity to let us all know how he " never follows the rules " and " i always do thing my way. "

please bubba. stuff it !!! your 34yro . stop acting like your in the same age group as Ricky Fowler or Rory.
and we are all pleased you have a happy family life. great!! but if i have to hear you answer another golf related question with the same " im just trying to be a good father and good husband " routine im gonna throw up in my mouth. :angry22:

Bubba is a great talent and a masters champion. i get it. but i dont think him and cool are in the same universe.
thats just my opinion on bubba and cool.

and i play mostly ping clubs.

by the way i never knew Ping ever had a time when they were not "cool"

I too do not believe Bubba and cool go together.

I have a ping k15 driver, 3 wood and i20 irons. None of which have anything to do with Bubba.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1357950066' post='6212461']
Ping makes great equipment. Always has.
[/quote]^ This.....and like I stated in another thread...I have grown tired of him and I miss the pre Masters Bubba.....That is all.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1357951361' post='6212563']
Nothing against Bubba...

If anyone is "making Ping cool", I'm thinking it's Jimenez and Mahan... I'm pretty sure that Jimenez hangs out with The Most Interesting Man in the World on a regular basis.
[/quote]

Jimenez is The Most Interesting Man in the World.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Chuck Klosterman wrote an interesting piece about ABBA once where he said they had staying power because, no one ever was super into them but no one was ever super against them....Not that ABBA has anything to do with this but i think it's the same with Ping.

They have never been the coolest MFR, they have never been an uncool MFR

they just make unique clubs, have a pretty loyal following, don't annoy non-followers with ridiculous ads. No one hates Ping....They are like the girl who's like a 7.5 on 10 and has a great personality. The hot girls like her because they don't perceive her as a threat, everyone else likes her because she is pretty cool

Ping is the 7.5 girl who lives next door. I would totally do it with Ping

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I guess everyone has a different opinion of "cool." Cool for me are clubs that perform with multiple options that actually change ball flight for players. Cool to me is a company that will basically build anything you want as far as specs go. I like that they design and test their own shafts with proven performance differences... hate how some companies have multiple stock shafts that offer no real difference other than name. Their customer service is just another bonus. PING has been cool since I've been playing golf. They started the Anser putter that everyone uses today... that's cool.

I do like guys like Bubba too... hit it far, shape shots, no swing coach. Mahan is a different kind of cool but I prefer the former over a cookie cutter swing type player. MAJ is my favorite PING guy but he doesn't play as much here for it to matter unless you're a WRX'er.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357949455' post='6212397']
i dont think anything associated with bubba is cool. i find him to be a over grown immature whining baby who never seems to pass up the opportunity to let us all know how he " never follows the rules " and " i always do thing my way. "

please bubba. stuff it !!! your 34yro . stop acting like your in the same age group as Ricky Fowler or Rory.
and we are all pleased you have a happy family life. great!! but if i have to hear you answer another golf related question with the same " im just trying to be a good father and good husband " routine im gonna throw up in my mouth. :angry22:

[/quote]

I find Bubba to be one of the most genuine guys on tour. I hope he gives you a lot of opportunities throw up in your mouth in the future.

love Bubba but the couple of times I have met him not impressed, but I will say Ping has made some of the best equip for a long time, so lets say Ping has made Bubba cool!

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

Bubba is a great talent and a masters champion. i get it. but i dont think him and cool are in the same universe.
thats just my opinion on bubba and cool.

and i play mostly ping clubs.

by the way i never knew Ping ever had a time when they were not "cool"
[/quote]

Tell us how you really feel.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1357963990' post='6213547']

[/quote]

I find Bubba to be one of the most genuine guys on tour. I hope he gives you a lot of opportunities throw up in your mouth in the future.
[/quote]

I like Bubba but I think he blurts out too much stuff but I think it is some ADHD stuff or something going there. Watney may have a little of that going too. They are so good that they are like savants or something. I guess the point is Bubba deserves a break. He seems liek he has improved his life and channeled it because he was a bit of a hot head before. The guys is high on life and is a great player. More power to him. Bubba has also been loyal to Ping and after the Masters I am sure he got other offers.

As far as Ping. They pick very good players to rep for them. Lee Westwood should hire the American guy Justin Rose has for his putting. If Lee improves his putting, he will win a major. Pings has a good players in Bubba, Lee, Hunter and Louis. I think good players winning tourneys can make a brand "cool."

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1357950476' post='6212491']
[/quote]^ This.....and like I stated in another thread...I have grown tired of him and I miss the pre Masters Bubba.....That is all.
[/quote]

Lol, Has he stopped crying yet ?

[quote name='Gaijin_Golfer' timestamp='1357982811' post='6214291']
Since when is Bubba cool to the point where he would make Ping cool? If you are seeing more Ping gear on tour, its because of $$$, not because of Bubba and his alledged, "coolness". :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Ping made their name as a brand for old retirees and guys who struggled with conventional irons. It will take more than a nerdy wannabe cool guy like Blubba Watson to change that image

[/quote]

Truth. Ping has been popular with juniors for many years, it only makes sense that their "loyalty" is likely to follow when they further their golf career. Bubba has not made Ping cool but he is a good ambassador for the brand.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I have no interest it what he (Bubba) has to say about golf, if he ever says anything about golf. The bloke comes across as a total “plant pot” in fact if I catch an interview with him the MUTE button is king.

Ping has always been cool in my eyes, ever since they started the winners gold putter collection, pure class.
Also I love the fact that as a company they let there staffers play any generation of club, as long as its Ping. Its all about the players and golf in general and not pushing / selling the latests models.

Why is bubba always answering golf related questions with how he is not defined by his golf and he is a father and husband first. Who cares bubba !!! We don't watch you in golf tournaments because of the kind of family man you are. As a golf fan I want to know the golf related stuff. Who is he trying to convince? Big time dweeb that also likes to interject his faith in every other sentence as well. Like I said before. Stuff it bubba!!!! We only care about what you do on the golf course .

And to the OPs question, I think it's the other way around. I think it's ping that makes bubba look cool.