Has Bubba made Ping cool again?

daveltb

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, all of this talk about Bubba comes across as being a huge double standard. So he brags about his beautiful watch. He's totally the FIRST athlete to ever do something like that. As for his behavior on the course, same thing. Tiger and Sergio, among other pro golfers and pro athletes have always had a nasty streak when things aren't going well, and sometimes even when things are swinging their way. To call Bubba out is just not fair, unless you want to address every other athlete that does the same. I recently had the chance to meet and chat with Bubba for a little bit at the TOC at Kapalua. He struck me as a very nice, honest man, who cares tremendously about his family and friends. I can understand if he's just not your cup of tea, but don't chew him out for something that is endemic to professional sports.

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357949455' post='6212397']
i dont think anything associated with bubba is cool. i find him to be a over grown immature whining baby who never seems to pass up the opportunity to let us all know how he " never follows the rules " and " i always do thing my way. "

please bubba. stuff it !!! your 34yro . stop acting like your in the same age group as Ricky Fowler or Rory.
and we are all pleased you have a happy family life. great!! but if i have to hear you answer another golf related question with the same " im just trying to be a good father and good husband " routine im gonna throw up in my mouth. :angry22:

Bubba is a great talent and a masters champion. i get it. but i dont think him and cool are in the same universe.
thats just my opinion on bubba and cool.

and i play mostly ping clubs.

by the way i never knew Ping ever had a time when they were not "cool"
[/quote]

Wow man this is just awesome!

Irrationally angry post of the year award winner and we are only 2 weeks in! Congrats man this is a special, special hate post! You would almost think someone was talking about taylormade!

Did Bubba make PING cool again? No. They were a solid company with a loyal following making quality equipment long before Bubba signed on. And no one on tour signs on to play an OEM's equipment because someone else won with it.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='daveltb' timestamp='1357947842' post='6212241']
Watching play at Waialae (Sony Open) and noticed an abundance of Ping bags, most young and among the leaders. I'm not aware of any new strategy by Ping to sponsor as many players as say TM, but I'm definitely seeing more Ping sponsored bags on TV.

What do you think? Did Bubba's playoff win at the Masters influence the next generation of tour players?
[/quote]

i dont think he made it "cool" for the tour players. but i think he made a small impact with weekend warriors i have seen more ping hats/bags/clubs at my club since the masters. its def a good time for them for having what seems to be more high ranked players. ala bubba, westwood, mahan, oosty, etc. thats a lot of tv time right there

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1358033169' post='6217057']
[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1358006197' post='6215113']
[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357991369' post='6214415']
Why is bubba always answering golf related questions with how he is not defined by his golf and he is a father and husband first. Who cares bubba !!! [s]We[/s] [b]I [/b]don't watch you in golf tournaments because of the kind of family man you are. As a golf fan I want to know the golf related stuff. Who is he trying to convince? Big time dweeb that also likes to interject his faith in every other sentence as well. Like I said before. Stuff it bubba!!!! [s]We[/s] [b]I[/b] only care about what you do on the golf course .

And to the OPs question, I think it's the other way around. I think it's ping that makes bubba look cool.
[/quote]

I fixed your post for accuracy. [u]You[/u] may not care about Bubba's family life, but that doesn't mean that no one cares. A lot of people care, including me.
[/quote]
i respect your opinion. its very :wub: heart warming :wub: that you have so much care for bubba and what he has to say about his family life. i dont wish anything bad for bubba . he is just not my kind of guy and judging by other WRXs post it does not seem like bubba is fooling anyone with his wanna-be persona.
to the same point , i am a sports fan. when a athlete i am interested in is being iterviewed and questioned on an event they just completed i want to know what was going on in their head about the said event. what were they thinking, feeling. what was the strategy that helped them win. not what is going in the athletes personal life with the exception of maybe a sudden loss in the athletes family.
how frustating is it to watch a boxing match and in the post match interview when asked about the match the boxer goes on and on thanking God and the promoter and his financial team.
imagine that at the end of an NFL football game in the post game press confrence with the head coach he answered the questions with how much of a good father and husband they are trying to be and that is their first pryority.
[i]Reporter- hey coach, on 3rd and 10 what was the reason for running the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock[/i]
[i]Coach - well i would like to answer the question by saying that my wife and family are my pryority and football games dont define the person i am . :blink: [/i]
[/quote]

U mad bro???

I think we all get the point...you hate some guy youve never met, and clearly care enough about that stranger to post multiple angry manifestos about his "fakeness" and whatever else. At least you dont make it a question about being fake, you simply are just a jerk.

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

Watching play at Waialae (Sony Open) and noticed an abundance of Ping bags, most young and among the leaders. I'm not aware of any new strategy by Ping to sponsor as many players as say TM, but I'm definitely seeing more Ping sponsored bags on TV.

What do you think? Did Bubba's playoff win at the Masters influence the next generation of tour players?
[/quote]

No.

I think what you are seeing is a combination of two things.

1. Ping...under John Solheim...has taken the technological and performance ethic of his father and married it to products that are more aesthetically appealing to better players. So Ping is attracting players who (in years past) were too turned off by the look of Ping clubs to give their performance a chance.

2. Ping has equipment deals with many college programs, and many players that come from these programs grew up with CB clubs, have played them throughout their careers...and feel no need to switch to more "traditional" clubs once they turn professional.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Someone's perception of what is "cool" has nothing to do with whether the Ping brand's clubs perform well in the hands of any particular player.

If something works well for you, then why would you even be concerned about whether or not its considered "cool" by anyone else. Make decisions based on what works for YOU!

The Ping brand has been around a very long time now. Ping's innovations with irons and putters are actually lengendary, and the brand maintains a loyal following with all its clubs. What else matters?

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1358163715' post='6224199']
Why is bubba always answering golf related questions with how he is not defined by his golf and he is a father and husband first. Who cares bubba !!! [s]We[/s] [b]I [/b]don't watch you in golf tournaments because of the kind of family man you are. As a golf fan I want to know the golf related stuff. Who is he trying to convince? Big time dweeb that also likes to interject his faith in every other sentence as well. Like I said before. Stuff it bubba!!!! [s]We[/s] [b]I[/b] only care about what you do on the golf course .

And to the OPs question, I think it's the other way around. I think it's ping that makes bubba look cool.
[/quote]

I fixed your post for accuracy. [u]You[/u] may not care about Bubba's family life, but that doesn't mean that no one cares. A lot of people care, including me.
[/quote]
i respect your opinion. its very :wub: heart warming :wub: that you have so much care for bubba and what he has to say about his family life. i dont wish anything bad for bubba . he is just not my kind of guy and judging by other WRXs post it does not seem like bubba is fooling anyone with his wanna-be persona.
to the same point , i am a sports fan. when a athlete i am interested in is being iterviewed and questioned on an event they just completed i want to know what was going on in their head about the said event. what were they thinking, feeling. what was the strategy that helped them win. not what is going in the athletes personal life with the exception of maybe a sudden loss in the athletes family.
how frustating is it to watch a boxing match and in the post match interview when asked about the match the boxer goes on and on thanking God and the promoter and his financial team.
imagine that at the end of an NFL football game in the post game press confrence with the head coach he answered the questions with how much of a good father and husband they are trying to be and that is their first pryority.
[i]Reporter- hey coach, on 3rd and 10 what was the reason for running the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock[/i]
[i]Coach - well i would like to answer the question by saying that my wife and family are my pryority and football games dont define the person i am . :blink: [/i]
[/quote]

U mad bro???

I think we all get the point...you hate some guy youve never met, and clearly care enough about that stranger to post multiple angry manifestos about his "fakeness" and whatever else. At least you dont make it a question about being fake, you simply are just a jerk.
[/quote]
first off, why go there. i did not insult you buy calling you any names. that is a zero class move right there. and that happens to be part of the reason this sight is slipping and turning into every other that came before it. what kind of response are you hoping for when you call someone a jerk ? i guess everyone that see's things differently then you is a jerk. incase you didnt read the other responses, there were others that have the same opinion that i have . i guess they are all jerks too. you must be a real joy to be around .
news flash Bubbagump. its ok to disagree with someone without calling them a jerk. just sayin. maybe your parents did not teach you this growing up.
and how do you know i never met bubba ? you have no idea what interaction me or anyone i know has had with bubba. i have been working for CBS sports for 18 years and have worked more than my share of PGA tour events. trust me. there is a reason that bubba dont have an entourage. nobody wants to put up with his antics. the few people i know personaly that have had to deal with him from executive producers and directors and others have all walked away shaking their heads and could not help but to laugh.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1358147206' post='6223991']
[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357949455' post='6212397']
i dont think anything associated with bubba is cool. i find him to be a over grown immature whining baby who never seems to pass up the opportunity to let us all know how he " never follows the rules " and " i always do thing my way. "

please bubba. stuff it !!! your 34yro . stop acting like your in the same age group as Ricky Fowler or Rory.
and we are all pleased you have a happy family life. great!! but if i have to hear you answer another golf related question with the same " im just trying to be a good father and good husband " routine im gonna throw up in my mouth. :angry22:

Bubba is a great talent and a masters champion. i get it. but i dont think him and cool are in the same universe.
thats just my opinion on bubba and cool.

and i play mostly ping clubs.

by the way i never knew Ping ever had a time when they were not "cool"
[/quote]

Wow man this is just awesome!

Irrationally angry post of the year award winner and we are only 2 weeks in! Congrats man this is a special, special hate post! You would almost think someone was talking about taylormade!

Did Bubba make PING cool again? No. They were a solid company with a loyal following making quality equipment long before Bubba signed on. And no one on tour signs on to play an OEM's equipment because someone else won with it.
[/quote]
KAYMAR. the funny thing is i dont hate bubba as much as i have sounded. he just erks me when i have to hear him speak and what comes from his mouth. there were other athletes i felt the same way about. oscar de lahoya. loved to watch him fight and thought he was great but the second he opened his mouth my ears would bleed.

scooter I have to hand it to you, today is the first time I've ever seen priority spelled pryority.... Lol. What do you do for CBS Sports? Sounds like an awesome job. My only interaction with Bubba personally was positive but I don't know him otherwise. Although I too get sick of the religion routine too.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1358314107' post='6237711']
scooter I have to hand it to you, today is the first time I've ever seen priority spelled pryority.... Lol. What do you do for CBS Sports? Sounds like an awesome job. My only interaction with Bubba personally was positive but I don't know him otherwise. Although I too get sick of the religion routine too.
[/quote]
never was a good speller :derisive:
i have owned a courier service for the last 18 years that my father started 30+ years ago that is contracted with CBS. i have been at so many events ( mostly to work ) over the years and it does have its cool times and perks( especially the golf shirts from adidas, and im working on connections with the equipment guys). the sports department has been my most loyal and long running account . i cover about 15 departments in all of CBS as well as personal favors for the grand-puba of CBS les moonves. i dont have employees, its just me and my father and 2 vans. i guess I'm what you would call an owner/operator. my latest goal is to talk my way to the masters one of these years but its very hard since the people from augusta regulate how many workers CBS can get credentials for.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1357949968' post='6212453']
I too do not believe Bubba and cool go together.

I have a ping k15 driver, 3 wood and i20 irons. None of which have anything to do with Bubba.
[/quote]

Do you have the K15 driver to be cool like me?

I am sure there is a portion of of golfers who Bubba appeals to and that has been great for Ping's marketing department. The bottom line is cool or not they make great products (like the K15 driver and Anser putter) for a different skill levels of golfers and I believe they have some of the best engineers in the business that makes them turn out quality products year after year.

[/quote]

Ping clubs are some of the best clubs on the planet. What has "cool" got to do with it?

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1358204188' post='6228107']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1358163715' post='6224199']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

U mad bro???

[/quote]
first off, why go there. i did not insult you buy calling you any names. that is a zero class move right there. and that happens to be part of the reason this sight is slipping and turning into every other that came before it. what kind of response are you hoping for when you call someone a jerk ? i guess everyone that see's things differently then you is a jerk. incase you didnt read the other responses, there were others that have the same opinion that i have . i guess they are all jerks too. you must be a real joy to be around .
news flash Bubbagump. its ok to disagree with someone without calling them a jerk. just sayin. maybe your parents did not teach you this growing up.
and how do you know i never met bubba ? you have no idea what interaction me or anyone i know has had with bubba. i have been working for CBS sports for 18 years and have worked more than my share of PGA tour events. trust me. there is a reason that bubba dont have an entourage. nobody wants to put up with his antics. the few people i know personaly that have had to deal with him from executive producers and directors and others have all walked away shaking their heads and could not help but to laugh.
[/quote]

Youre taking this a bit too seriously...From your multiple posts on calling him fake and how he irks you or whatnot, your opinion is clear and from what you have written its hard to believe that you dont hate him "as much as you make it sound". lol you crushed the guy in each of your posts, what kind of responses are you hoping for after each derogatory post you make about him? Having an opinion that differs is all well and fine, but anybody else in this thread posted their thought once...you just continued to do it and pile on more and multiple people called you out on it. Nobody said he is perfect, and that everybody is going to like him....like anybody else on the planet.

Ironic you got upset about names, after you called Bubba a "dweeb", "fake", "wanna be" etc.....Sorry, you got all upset but reading your posts in here made you sound kind of like a jerk.

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

Ping made Ping cool, with quality designed equipment..

10.5* Cobra Radspeed Driver w/ Fujikura Motore X F3

15.0* Cobra Radspeed Fairway Wood w/ Fujikura Motore X F3

Edel SLS-01 Single Length 3 iron w/ Paderson Kinetixx 95 shaft

Edel SLS-01 Single Length  (4-LW) Irons w/ Paderson Kinetixx 110 shaft

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

the ping market is physics professors, retired engineers and well-to-do housewives. no cool. great clubs, but not cool.

taylormade are probably the cool brand but i don't like any of their clubs (except r9 superdeep).

i'm a tradionalist, titlest/mizuno type. i'd say that makes me a bit of a golf anaorak (is there an american word for this?). not cool either.

I thought the General Lee was really cool when I was 6. If I had the chance to buy it and a stupid amount of money sitting around, I probably would. I would also feel like a total tool driving it around unless I had my kid and a bunch of his friends with me.

Also, it's been my experience that the best "family guys" don't need to talk about it.