Has Bubba made Ping cool again?

daveltb

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Ping has always been cool...can't say the same for Bubba...[/b]

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='aaronalter' timestamp='1358145896' post='6223953']
Also, Ping is/has always been cool. I'm currently playing a G15 9* with a Blueboard, and that thing is a rocket. No frills, no smoke and mirrors, just pure performance.
[/quote]This is what intrigues me about ping, if only they didn't make their stock offerings nearly 46" then maybe I would convert. I think ping should go back to it's old ways, and only offer products based on fittings and no longer offer off the rack equipment. Is this a result of outsourcing to China?

@therealping

[quote name='aaronalter' timestamp='1358145790' post='6223947']
Honestly, all of this talk about Bubba comes across as being a huge double standard. So he brags about his beautiful watch. He's totally the FIRST athlete to ever do something like that. As for his behavior on the course, same thing. Tiger and Sergio, among other pro golfers and pro athletes have always had a nasty streak when things aren't going well, and sometimes even when things are swinging their way. To call Bubba out is just not fair, unless you want to address every other athlete that does the same. I recently had the chance to meet and chat with Bubba for a little bit at the TOC at Kapalua. He struck me as a very nice, honest man, who cares tremendously about his family and friends. I can understand if he's just not your cup of tea, but don't chew him out for something that is endemic to professional sports.
[/quote]

Ive read plenty of threads on what a jerk Sergio and Tiger are.

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1358438831' post='6246225']
[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1358204188' post='6228107']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1358163715' post='6224199']
[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1358033169' post='6217057']
[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1358006197' post='6215113']
[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357991369' post='6214415']
Why is bubba always answering golf related questions with how he is not defined by his golf and he is a father and husband first. Who cares bubba !!! [s]We[/s] [b]I [/b]don't watch you in golf tournaments because of the kind of family man you are. As a golf fan I want to know the golf related stuff. Who is he trying to convince? Big time dweeb that also likes to interject his faith in every other sentence as well. Like I said before. Stuff it bubba!!!! [s]We[/s] [b]I[/b] only care about what you do on the golf course .

And to the OPs question, I think it's the other way around. I think it's ping that makes bubba look cool.
[/quote]

I fixed your post for accuracy. [u]You[/u] may not care about Bubba's family life, but that doesn't mean that no one cares. A lot of people care, including me.
[/quote]
i respect your opinion. its very :wub: heart warming :wub: that you have so much care for bubba and what he has to say about his family life. i dont wish anything bad for bubba . he is just not my kind of guy and judging by other WRXs post it does not seem like bubba is fooling anyone with his wanna-be persona.
to the same point , i am a sports fan. when a athlete i am interested in is being iterviewed and questioned on an event they just completed i want to know what was going on in their head about the said event. what were they thinking, feeling. what was the strategy that helped them win. not what is going in the athletes personal life with the exception of maybe a sudden loss in the athletes family.
how frustating is it to watch a boxing match and in the post match interview when asked about the match the boxer goes on and on thanking God and the promoter and his financial team.
imagine that at the end of an NFL football game in the post game press confrence with the head coach he answered the questions with how much of a good father and husband they are trying to be and that is their first pryority.
[i]Reporter- hey coach, on 3rd and 10 what was the reason for running the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock[/i]
[i]Coach - well i would like to answer the question by saying that my wife and family are my pryority and football games dont define the person i am . :blink: [/i]
[/quote]

U mad bro???

I think we all get the point...you hate some guy youve never met, and clearly care enough about that stranger to post multiple angry manifestos about his "fakeness" and whatever else. At least you dont make it a question about being fake, you simply are just a jerk.
[/quote]
first off, why go there. i did not insult you buy calling you any names. that is a zero class move right there. and that happens to be part of the reason this sight is slipping and turning into every other that came before it. what kind of response are you hoping for when you call someone a jerk ? i guess everyone that see's things differently then you is a jerk. incase you didnt read the other responses, there were others that have the same opinion that i have . i guess they are all jerks too. you must be a real joy to be around .
news flash Bubbagump. its ok to disagree with someone without calling them a jerk. just sayin. maybe your parents did not teach you this growing up.
and how do you know i never met bubba ? you have no idea what interaction me or anyone i know has had with bubba. i have been working for CBS sports for 18 years and have worked more than my share of PGA tour events. trust me. there is a reason that bubba dont have an entourage. nobody wants to put up with his antics. the few people i know personaly that have had to deal with him from executive producers and directors and others have all walked away shaking their heads and could not help but to laugh.
[/quote]

Youre taking this a bit too seriously...From your multiple posts on calling him fake and how he irks you or whatnot, your opinion is clear and from what you have written its hard to believe that you dont hate him "as much as you make it sound". lol you crushed the guy in each of your posts, what kind of responses are you hoping for after each derogatory post you make about him? Having an opinion that differs is all well and fine, but anybody else in this thread posted their thought once...you just continued to do it and pile on more and multiple people called you out on it. Nobody said he is perfect, and that everybody is going to like him....like anybody else on the planet.

Ironic you got upset about names, after you called Bubba a "dweeb", "fake", "wanna be" etc.....Sorry, you got all upset but reading your posts in here made you sound kind of like a jerk.
[/quote]
its funny how people can interpret thing so differently. i am not taking this too seriously. i guess i should have just posted no to the OPs question and moved on. that would have made for a fun post. and to tell ya the truth, im not worried about sounding like a jerk. i absolutly love watching Bubba in the mix on the weekends, that being said i dont buy his act. i guess you missed what i said in the last post . i have been around Bubba, i work with people that have been dealing with tour players for years and years. so not only do i see what everyone else has seen on TV with my own eyes but i also have had a bit of a behind the scenes look as well. ( would a guy like luke donald, ernie ells, davis love III, vj, or any other class act for that matter [i][b]reach out to the network personally to let them know they will be ariving in the original general lee ,so you should have a camara ready when i arrive and make sure they get a shot of me getting in and getting out of the car )[/b][/i]
so im sorry YOU took my " multiple angry manifestos " so "seriously" but to me they are warrented.

but im trying to figure out why you feel such a strong need to defend Bubba? he is a public figure who puts himself out there. he is going to get scrutiized for the way he acts and the things he says. who said anything about "perfect"? and others did post more then one thought in this thread . i was unaware of the rule that only one post was allowed. most of my posts after the first one was to respond to others commenting on my post.

bottom line, you are totally entitled to think of me as a jerk, however calling someone a jerk because of them voicing a harsh opinion that is different from yours is flat out immature . you mentioned "ironic". isnt it ironic that "you clearly care enough about some stranger you never met " ( those were your words ) and come to his defence buy calling "some stranger you never met" a "jerk".
:WTF:

i hate to beat a dead horse but i really am curious to know why you feel the need to defend Bubba ?

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1358027351' post='6216589']
[quote name='mr smith' timestamp='1357986696' post='6214339']
Ping made their name as a brand for old retirees and guys who struggled with conventional irons. It will take more than a nerdy wannabe cool guy like Blubba Watson to change that image
[/quote]

Oops, there you go, Jr. high lunchroom worldview. Ping = not cool.
[/quote]

So for all old farts (I'm getting there), how many "cool" players played Pine eye 2's back in the day? Off the top of my head, and I'm not talking sponsorships....DLIII, Freddie, Tiger, etc. They did start the rvolution in irons...

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1359351185' post='6312871']
would a guy like luke donald, ernie ells, davis love III, vj, or any other class act for that matter [i][b]reach out to the network personally to let them know they will be ariving in the original general lee ,so you should have a camara ready when i arrive and make sure they get a shot of me getting in and getting out of the car [/b][/i]
[/quote]

This story, along with several of the posts in this thread, seem to indicate that BW could use some guidance and management in his PR. Nothing wrong with a player's agent or PR person making this sort of call.....but the player should never do this sort of thing himself.

SUPER-talented golfer, that may just need a little help dealing with what seems to be an growing perception of him as a person. Sometimes you can try too hard.

TD

Wow nice job there Buba, you may have help make Ping cool but it wasn't cool of you saying what you did about V-Jay.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Having met both Bubba & his wife(then girlfriend) Angie a few years ago, I was personally struck by how genuinely nice they both were to myself and others they had interaction. As has been well-documented, Bubba definitely has ADD related issues that sometimes effect his focus and judgement and with coming to religion later in life than some, sometimes goes a bit over the top with that as well. How soon we forget that Payne Stewart had some of those same issues, but matured and came to be well-respected by his peers and the public. As far as making Ping cool again, the attention from the Masters win certainly didn't hurt , but Ping has been making great strides for a while now with quality products and a stable of great players.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Being cool is all about having your own identity and not caring whether that identity happens to be cool or not. You can be the popular jock or the rogue badass, but both are cool.

Ping has always been cool and closer to that rogue badass type. They have maintained a unique identity through the years. Great clubs, interesting but unoffensive aesthetic.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1357950066' post='6212461']
Ping makes great equipment. Always has.
[/quote]

Right here! I personally don't play their equipment but know a lot of people who stand by it! It helps their brand that they have 2 great players in Hunter and Bubba using their clubs, but if they ever chose to leave I don't think it would hurt their market value at all.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

May have been said, but Bubba was obnoxious yesterday on 16 tee with Lerner from Golf Channel. It was Wednesday actually, while playing with Phelps. He was trying to draw attention to eBay, Oakley, and his sponsors in a flashy and over-the-top way. It was barely funny. I think his sponsors would agree, too, if they saw it.

Rant over.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1357951361' post='6212563']
If anyone is "making Ping cool", I'm thinking it's Jimenez and Mahan... I'm pretty sure that Jimenez hangs out with The Most Interesting Man in the World on a regular basis.
[/quote]

^^^this. M.A. Jiminez. The genuine article.

I won't throw Bubba under the bus, but after following his twitter feed for 2 weeks I felt like I had enough of him for a lifetime.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1359739179' post='6344009']
Being cool is all about having your own identity and not caring whether that identity happens to be cool or not. You can be the popular jock or the rogue badass, but both are cool.

Ping has always been cool and closer to that rogue badass type. They have maintained a unique identity through the years. Great clubs, interesting but unoffensive aesthetic.
[/quote]

Ping in "rogue badass" category, eh?

How do you like your Prius?

[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1359739179' post='6344009']
Being cool [b]is all about having your own identity and not caring whether that identity happens to be cool or not[/b]. You can be the popular jock or the rogue badass, but both are cool.

[/quote]

It seems to me that's not the definitions of being cool, but just having a strong personality...

Oosthuizen is pretty badass anyway :D

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1357949455' post='6212397']
i dont think anything associated with bubba is cool. i find him to be a over grown immature whining baby who never seems to pass up the opportunity to let us all know how he " never follows the rules " and " i always do thing my way. "

please bubba. stuff it !!! your 34yro . stop acting like your in the same age group as Ricky Fowler or Rory.
and we are all pleased you have a happy family life. great!! but if i have to hear you answer another golf related question with the same " im just trying to be a good father and good husband " routine im gonna throw up in my mouth. :angry22:

Bubba is a great talent and a masters champion. i get it. but i dont think him and cool are in the same universe.
thats just my opinion on bubba and cool.

and i play mostly ping clubs.

by the way i never knew Ping ever had a time when they were not "cool"
[/quote] what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

Ping seems to be real efficient with their sponsorship of tour players. I don't have any concrete numbers to backup my observations, but Titleist & TM seem to dominate the hats & bags of PGA tour coverage. Meanwhile Nike, Cally, & Ping have an equal-ish share of the remainder of players. Of course Nike added a few players to the stable, Cally kinda cherry-picked players with 120+ club head speed, but Ping just stood pat with what they had.

And what they have are enough quality tour players that you almost always see a Ping hat during weekend telecasts. Like I said... efficient. You would think their company was run by an engineer, not a salesman/marketing type.