2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

CHAT LIVE with True Temper & Callaway! Fri Jan 18 NOON ET!

HipCheck

Callaway: Alan can Rob take pictures in the ball lab yet?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Callaway I'm curious at what point in the product development phase that the shaft was chosen for the club. Is it the last thing? Does the stock shaft selection have any weight on how the clubhead is designed? Also, what prompted the matte grey finish? I think it looks great, and would love to see it as an option on the UDesign site.

@TrueTemper, what are the differences between the PXv and the PX Black, or the original PX graphite? Is this meant to replace, or just to expand the product offerings?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Hello there.

I have question for the True Temper guys. With the advent of the new PXv Tour 52, will you be launching this shaft in heavier weights? I have already tried the Tour 52 and love it, but wondered if you guys had any plans for this shaft to be launched for the player who needs a heavier weight or for a fairway wood?

I notice Callaway has a heavier model whose weight simply goes up with the flex, so can you explain the philosophy behind this decision and if this range will be expanded? For example, for the golfer who needs a heavier weight, but softer flex or visa versa?

Thanks

Question:
Given the quest for distance distance distance and the restraints governed by the PGA, a limit is placed on what you can do with titanium/carbon/etc...

Has Callaway been working with any exotic metals/alloys that further push the limits to gain those extra yards?

Thanks!

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

Thanks to all of you guys for coming on here....2 questions

For True Temper- It seems everyone is pushing the lighter weight shaft these days, but with some form of sacrifice, and for me it is elevated launch angle. Can you explain how the PXv will differ from other lightweight shafts when it comes to launch, spin and torque?

Callaway-First off, you guys have created a hella buzz with the new lines for 2013. Can you explain to me the speed frame face on the X-Hot? Does it promote faster ball speed across the face or just on the edges?

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

'ELO GENTS..

Just wondering how long did the process (from idea to production) take for the new X Hot driver? The grey finish looks phenomenal by the way!!

I saw that Jamie Sadlowski is hitting this in 4.5 degrees- can you confirm whether or not he is from the planet Krypton.. what about a "krypton" patch (lets say 430 or so) following "4 Bills".

For Dr. Hocknell: when designing two new lines, (i.e. the fit extreme and the X-hot) do you design them completely independent with blank slates on both accounts, or do you borrow and give ideas between the two lines? Thanks for taking the time!

Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-PW
Cleveland RTX wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

TT......

The PXv Tour 52 are lightweight shafts but not the ones in the X Hot clubs?
What is the difference in flex characteristics between the PXv Tour 52's and the PXv heavier weight shafts that come in the X Hot clubs?

Callaway....

Will the PXv Tour 52 shafts be available for the X Hot clubs? Upcharge/why?

Thanks,
BB

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

For Callaway: Being able to use shafts from the previous driver model is a big selling point to me because I don't have to go out and buy new shafts and adapters. Are the shafts that I purchased for my Razr Fit in 2012 compatible for use in the new X-Hot Driver (and the RAZR Fit Extreme)?

For True Temper: What are the flight characteristics of the new PXv shaft? Are the shafts the same or different for the regular and tour driver models?

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

True Temper - In regards to specs it seems that there is very little difference in actual weight between the Project X 95 and PXi in 6.0 specifically only 6 grams. Is the main other distinguishing feature between the two the flighted nature of the X 95's or are there other performance differences as well.

Callaway - In regards to the X-Hot Pro vs the Razr Fit extreme is there any appreciable difference in ball speeds between the two heads, and do you think that the simplicity of the X-Hot has something to do with the quick uptake on the tour. Also, in regards to fitting it seems that most pros are using the double cog adapters, does this feature allow for much more fine tuning, and if so is there any thought to making them available on all X-Hot Pros?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

Why do Callaway continue to fail to offer a 4 wood for left handers?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Random Question: Was Sadlowski using the Callaway X-Hot Pro when he tore up the Golf Channel simulator?

Often when a new club comes out into mass production people question the performance of the stock shaft, how "good" it is, and start thinking about how to "upgrade" the shaft. In simple terms, what kind of swing are these stock shafts geared for?

I seem to recall some buyers on here having questions/concerns about whether the "stiff" shafts actually spec'd out as stiff shafts on last year's models. What kind of QC goes into making sure that shafts are what they're supposed to be?

The X Bomb patches are a cool idea btw. I'll certainly be trying to track some down.

With top name golfers opting to sever their current long-term relationships to ink even more lucrative deals deals with other corporate sponsors, does Callaway and others feel even more pressure to come up with innovative and high performing products that stand up and/or best the competition. How will 2013 shape up for corporate sponsorship deals?

[size=4]With Calloway reinventing themselves and moving forward, why the move back to the X series and moving away from the Razr? The technology seems to borrow from both eras, why not Razr X Hot or something new/different? Is it picking up your legacy, blending it or moving forward in a whole new direction? [/size]

For the Callaway staff:

Can you detail the sole design of the X-hot fairways. I always feel this is a vastly over looked design aspect and in my experience plays the largest part in whether a fairway wood is successful.

Also, from early pictures it looks as though more pros, and especially your new staffers, are putting the X-Hot in the bag over the RFE. Do you feel this is personal preference or can you attribute it to some other factor?

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Thanks for this great opportunity!

Callaway:

Since the "end" of last season i have been involved with the GolfTec lesson program, and have decided to get fit for all new sticks for 2013 golf season. This has been quite a task researching all the new products available, and i have used GolfWRX to read up as much as possible. I have only played Titleist clubs in the past including 910D3, 712AP2, Vokey spin mill wedges and Cameron Newport 2 & Golo & ProV1x. I would love to hear which Callaway products you would recommend and why? What has Callaway done to make a superior product or one that would benefit me greater than your competitors?

True Temper:
Along the same questions presented to the Callaway staff, what benefits do you offer that would make your product superior to your competitors, or why I would choose your products over theirs?

For Callaway

With the talk about increased ballspeed in the XHot fairway woods, do you forsee this as forcing a change in the what clubs a player is fit for? In other words is do you expect that a player whose clubhead speed is best suited for no more than a 17deg 4 wood in conventional FWs to find themselves able to use a 15 deg XHot 3wood, or would they be better served staying with the same loft in an XHot 4w?

For Callaway:
First, Thanks for throwing your hat into the Long Drive arena. I think it will be very beneficial for both you and the Long Drive community. Jamie Sadlowski is a great choice to rep your Long Drive Team (that is not just a rumor is it?). Good Luck to him and your Long Drive efforts!
Are you going to offer a Long Drive specific X-Hot Driver or will it be the same head in lower loft angles?
If a Long Drive version is going to be available, when is it planned to be released?
If you are using lower lofts in the same head, are you concerned about it's durability with the Long Drivers extreme Swing Speed?

For True Temper:
Are you going to offer Project X shafts in longer lengths and stiffer flexes for the Long Drivers?

Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Chris

Which type of golfer is the pxv shaft aimed at? And what is the designed benefits as apposed to the previous graphite project x shafts?

WITB

Titleist TSR 10* Ventus Blue 6x

Titleist TSI 3 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD- DI 7s

Titleist U 505 20* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95s

Taylormade P770 4-7 iron Nippon Modus 120s

Taylormade P7MC 8-PW Nippon Modus 120s

Vokey SM8 52F & 56S Nippon Modus 120s

Vokey Wedgeworks 60T Dynamic Gold  S200 Black Onyx.

Taylormade Spider s

What ball will be used for Long Drive Competitions?

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

HI Guys, thanks for your time today.

For Callaway: What are your thoughts on driver length for the consumer getting longer and harder to control when the majority of players on tour use drivers that are much shorter than the 46 inch drivers that are becoming standard on new driver offerings.

For True Temper: Are your shafts being developed to better suit swing characteristics in the new longer length of driver shafts or can these new shafts able to perform at any length if they are trimmed down to a more controllable length.

Thanks.

Titleist TS2 11.5 (B2) w/Oban Kiyoshi White 65(04)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 2012 15/19 deg w/fubuki AX 
Exotics CB ProH 21 w/UST Recoil 670 F4
Callaway Apex 4,6-PW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Mizuno MP R-12 49/54/59/64 w/Nippon 1150
Bettinardi Signature Series 6 Midslim2.0
SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

Callaway: how long was the design process for the XHot family of woods? Are they designed at the same time as the irons? How much testing goes into the final product before it is put into the marketplace?

True Temper: what can be done for players like Gary Woodland who hit the graphite shafted fairway woods too far? Was this shaft designed specifically for the XHot line or was it already coming to market?

Thanks for your time and consideration of these questions,

Chris Brion

Callaway: (the [b]BOLD [/b]part is the preffered choice :) )

What is the next thing in [b]driver[/b]/woods technology?

What are you focusing on the most when you are improving your [b]drivers[/b]/woods?

Obviously we now have movable weights, shaft adaptors but which part of the driver head has deserved the most attention from you and where can you see future improvements beeing done?

What are the problems the engineers (did) encouter while designing new [b]drivers[/b]/woods?

What can we expect to see in a [b]driver[/b]/woods in 5 years - which field deserves the most attention and resources?