2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

CHAT LIVE with True Temper & Callaway! Fri Jan 18 NOON ET!

HipCheck

I was just wondering if you guys cared to comment on the new marketing direction and how beloved and good looking the new marketing guy is at Callaway. Ive heard great things about him and the work he's doing to eradicate world hunger is so wonderful and his counsel to finally get Lance Armstrong to come clean is to be commended. What a guy.

Anyway, I'll hang up and listen...

BABA BOOEY, BEST OF THE WEEK, STERN RULES!!!!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Callaway, not sure if this was previously brought up or not. But, why was the adjustable weights left off of the XHOT? Was it a weight issue? Is it mainly used on the RFX because the forged composite saves enough weight in the crown to be placed elsewhere? I thought in last years model, the adjustable weights made a huge difference in ball flight and feel. It was nice to have the ability to tune the driver even further.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

[quote name='Nickleej' timestamp='1358367311' post='6240917']
Thanks for this great opportunity!

Callaway:

Since the "end" of last season i have been involved with the GolfTec lesson program, and have decided to get fit for all new sticks for 2013 golf season. This has been quite a task researching all the new products available, and i have used GolfWRX to read up as much as possible. I have only played Titleist clubs in the past including 910D3, 712AP2, Vokey spin mill wedges and Cameron Newport 2 & Golo & ProV1x. I would love to hear which Callaway products you would recommend and why? What has Callaway done to make a superior product or one that would benefit me greater than your competitors?

True Temper:
Along the same questions presented to the Callaway staff, what benefits do you offer that would make your product superior to your competitors, or why I would choose your products over theirs?
[/quote]

First of all there are some great shafts out there and you have a lot of choices. Many times it can be tough to sort through the clutter as a consumer.

Ultimately (from a strong position of bias, of course!!) we believe we make the best golf shafts in the world. Hopefully we can give you a couple of tangible reasons why. While all of us as shaft manufacturers will talk about investment in R&D, engineering and marketing, TT is the only shaft manufacturer that has its own dedicated test facility that houses arguably the most advanced swing robot in the business (completely modified in 2011). We test our products, competitive shafts, shaft/head combinations, etc…it’s limitless. Secondly, we’re very fortunate to have over 80% of the best players in the world playing our shafts…with $0 paid in endorsement dollars…completely their choice to choose TT/Project X over our competitors.

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='Callaway_Finley' timestamp='1358529627' post='6253533']
[quote name='Jbird33' timestamp='1358519834' post='6252333']
True Temper: How have the DG shafts changed over the years? Specifically X100 and S300.

Callaway: What enhancements does the channel in the back of the musclebacks serve? Is it like a cavity in a CB club, and if not what are the differences.

Thank you.
[/quote][size=4][quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1358521745' post='6252573'][/size]
Callaway - How do I get my hands on the red/white X hot staff bag?

True Temper - Where do you see shaft tech in 5 years time?
[/quote]

For now that bag is just a prototype but we have a few ideas for it. More to come.
[/quote]

Looking forward to it! I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one either :)

[quote name='SMRT' timestamp='1358374601' post='6241611']
For Callaway:
First, Thanks for throwing your hat into the Long Drive arena. I think it will be very beneficial for both you and the Long Drive community. Jamie Sadlowski is a great choice to rep your Long Drive Team (that is not just a rumor is it?). Good Luck to him and your Long Drive efforts!
Are you going to offer a Long Drive specific X-Hot Driver or will it be the same head in lower loft angles?
If a Long Drive version is going to be available, when is it planned to be released?
If you are using lower lofts in the same head, are you concerned about it's durability with the Long Drivers extreme Swing Speed?

For True Temper:
Are you going to offer Project X shafts in longer lengths and stiffer flexes for the Long Drivers?

Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Chris
[/quote]

We have investigated the long drive category in the past and found it to be a very small percentage of the market. Not to say we won’t make a LD specific PX shaft in the future, but it’s not on the radar right now…sorry. We’ve focused our efforts on making the best shafts we can for the broader consumer market. You never know what we might do down the road!

WITB

[quote name='cwbrion' timestamp='1358379700' post='6242029']
Callaway: how long was the design process for the XHot family of woods? Are they designed at the same time as the irons? How much testing goes into the final product before it is put into the marketplace?

True Temper: what can be done for players like Gary Woodland who hit the graphite shafted fairway woods too far? Was this shaft designed specifically for the XHot line or was it already coming to market?

Thanks for your time and consideration of these questions,

Chris Brion
[/quote]

Let’s start off with this one thing…Gary Woodland is a ridiculous specimen! He can move it. Steel is always an option for him. Ultimately most are still best suited to have graphite in their drivers and fairways.

WITB

[quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1358346607' post='6238825']
Thanks to all of you guys for coming on here....2 questions

For True Temper- It seems everyone is pushing the lighter weight shaft these days, but with some form of sacrifice, and for me it is elevated launch angle. Can you explain how the PXv will differ from other lightweight shafts when it comes to launch, spin and torque?

Callaway-First off, you guys have created a hella buzz with the new lines for 2013. Can you explain to me the speed frame face on the X-Hot? Does it promote faster ball speed across the face or just on the edges?
[/quote]
The Speed Frame Face is designed to do a couple of things. The maximum ball speed is capped so we want to take the center of the face right up to that limit, then we want to try to get the rest of the face as close to that same speed as possible. The Speed Frame does that and it takes weight out of the face that we can use more effectively elsewhere in the head.

[quote name='Will Par' timestamp='1358465290' post='6248885']
I would like to ask both Callaway and True Temper how they use computer technology and the laws of physics to design clubs and shafts that offer added distance and accuracy.
[/quote]

At True Temper we have a proprietary software, System 9, that predicts frequency, torque, tip flex, swing weight and total weight based on our materials, patterns and tooling. We can compare these designs to existing designs to get an idea of how to two shafts will compare. Comparing EI profiles helps us to predict how two shafts will perform compared to one another.

We also have our own secret test area like no other in the shaft industry. It has a full instrumented swing robot that allows to use high speed video footage of a golfers swing and mimic it exactly. We can use this robot to design a shaft for all types of swings from PGA pros to the beginner who comes over the top with the face wide open.

WITB

[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1358342572' post='6238511']
I've always pondered "stock" shafts in clubs, mainly woods. Basically form or function? So here are some rambling questions after two 17 hour days of work.

Is a "stock" shaft ideally fit for the average golfer in that club's segment market? Obviously there is a ton of R&D in head design, but how much goes into matching the right head and shaft and tailored to what?

[color="#ff0000"]That depends on the partnership levels between the head and shaft manufacturers. In same cases shaft maybe chosen by buzz, price point or color. In the case of the XHot line it was a true co-development between Callaway and True Temper. The Xhot Driver S shaft alone had over 35 design prototypes before a perfect match was found.[/color]

OR Are deals worked out between equipment manufacturers and shaft manafacturers to use stock shafts as basically a marketing tool, without much consideration for performance for their intended market? After further thought, maybe that won't be answered :)

[color=#ff0000]There are certainly instances where that maybe the case but as I mentioned above TTS and Callaway worked extensively on this product to make sure shaft and head are a match for the intended users.[/color]

Take the new Project X shafts released this year (PXV in woods and PX95 Flighted in irons) that are in Callaway's 2013 line up. I can see where the PX95 flighted shafts are in line with the company's goal for the X-Hot Pro irons... the decreased weight over prior year S300 shafts should compete better amongst their competitors and help with their added distance goals. Seemed logical to me so I pre-ordered mine stock from Callawaygolf.com like this to start (anxiously awaiting that shipment notification :) ) The PXV in the pro driver doesn't seem as immediately logical from the same birdseye view.... so form or function?

[color="#ff0000"]For the XHot Pro driver Callaway started out by requesting our PXv Tour and a few other options designed to match specifications that had previously been successful for us. The PXv Tour proved to be the most liked in player testing and hence the decision was made to use it in XHot Pro. One of the reasons is the target player for XHot pro typically prefers a heavier shaft.[/color]

Can't wait to hear this interview. Thanks to TT and especially Callaway for their continued presence here.
[/quote]

WITB

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1358529869' post='6253577']
I was just wondering if you guys cared to comment on the new marketing direction and how beloved and good looking the new marketing guy is at Callaway. Ive heard great things about him and the work he's doing to eradicate world hunger is so wonderful and his counsel to finally get Lance Armstrong to come clean is to be commended. What a guy.

[/quote]

I actually heard that the new marketing dude at Callaway stole Manti Te'o's girlfriend . . .

[/quote]I read this on the internet so it has to be true! They can't put lies on the internet you know... Is he a French Model too?

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='anthony007' timestamp='1358527393' post='6253203']
Versa Putter - whats new with the insert - is it more like the original insert?

Thanks
[/quote]

The new insert in the Versa putter is an optimized version of our White Hot Insert which has been and continues to be very popular with consumers and Tour Pros.

[/quote]

I believe so much I bought stock options in ELY this week.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1358462465' post='6248645']
How light is too light? How fast is too fast? Some driver shafts out there in the low 50g weight...is there an engineering equation to determine when you can't get any better? Will Callaway and True Temper continue to push weights down? Where's the floor?
[/quote]

Our philosophy has always been ‘play the lightest shaft you can control.’ For some players this is PXv 39 while for others it is standard PXv. It all depends on your individual swing profile.
Where’s the floor? While we may not be there, we’re really close with regards to weight in both steel (75 grams) and graphite (39 grams). However, the trick will be to continue to improve performance within the respective weight categories through continuous advancements in materials, process and design.

WITB

For Callaway: There are three new drivers. RFX, XHOT & XHOTP. Without having a chance to hit any of them. What is the 101 for each? Are the geared towards 3 types of golfors and swings?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

Thanks for chatting with us today...Excellent Information so far...

[color=#FF0000]My question is for the Callway gang:[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Is there a plan of implementation for offering the Razr Fit Extreme and the XHOT Pro in a 460cc version? [/color]
[color=#FF0000]-I know other OEMs have done this in the past and I wondered what your stance on this is...[/color]

thank you!
IUG37

[quote name='bayoubogeyguy' timestamp='1358529081' post='6253429']
Hi ya Callaway and True Temper!

I currently play the True Temper XP S300 in my irons and love the ball flight and accuracy. My current driver is the Ping Rapture with an Aldila Vs Proto 65 S. My question for ProjectX and the new V shaft is what weight/flex shaft will give me the same flight and dispersion results in the new Callaway X Hot Driver? Can you provide specifics on the tip profile and bend point as well?
[/quote]

The PXv S in the XHot will be a similar to the DVS in terms of bend points and tip profiles. The PXv is lighter and I suspect will feel more stable to you as well.

WITB

[quote name='the.landshark' timestamp='1358529980' post='6253593']
Hello, is there a story (of some sort) behind the tribal style graphics found on previous Project X graphite shafts... and now more prominently displayed on these new PXv's?

[/quote]

There were more than 1,000 different iterations we went through on the graphics for Project X before deciding on the "cut glass" style graphics. Really it just came down to looking cool and giving the shaft a distinct look. We have definitely carried the cut glass style into Project X black and now the new PXv shafts.

WITB

[quote name='jon12' timestamp='1358485503' post='6250659']
I have tried the project x pxi and really like it. Why is it not offered as an upgrade option on the x hot pro iron? Thanks, Jonathan
[/quote]

It will be available as a custom upgrade. You'll be good to go!

WITB

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1358529896' post='6253583']
[quote name='Nickleej' timestamp='1358367311' post='6240917']
Thanks for this great opportunity!

Callaway:

Since the "end" of last season i have been involved with the GolfTec lesson program, and have decided to get fit for all new sticks for 2013 golf season. This has been quite a task researching all the new products available, and i have used GolfWRX to read up as much as possible. I have only played Titleist clubs in the past including 910D3, 712AP2, Vokey spin mill wedges and Cameron Newport 2 & Golo & ProV1x. I would love to hear which Callaway products you would recommend and why? What has Callaway done to make a superior product or one that would benefit me greater than your competitors?

True Temper:
Along the same questions presented to the Callaway staff, what benefits do you offer that would make your product superior to your competitors, or why I would choose your products over theirs?
[/quote]

First of all there are some great shafts out there and you have a lot of choices. Many times it can be tough to sort through the clutter as a consumer.

Ultimately (from a strong position of bias, of course!!) we believe we make the best golf shafts in the world. Hopefully we can give you a couple of tangible reasons why. While all of us as shaft manufacturers will talk about investment in R&D, engineering and marketing, TT is the only shaft manufacturer that has its own dedicated test facility that houses arguably the most advanced swing robot in the business (completely modified in 2011). We test our products, competitive shafts, shaft/head combinations, etc…it’s limitless. Secondly, we’re very fortunate to have over 80% of the best players in the world playing our shafts…with $0 paid in endorsement dollars…completely their choice to choose TT/Project X over our competitors.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Great information shared.

[quote name='minhjn' timestamp='1358495093' post='6251019']
Callaway: What is the rational of making the X-Hot Pro 435cc as opposed to 460cc? Performance or player preferences?

True Temper: Will the Rifle line of iron shafts ever receive a revamp or update?
[/quote]

Yes. In fact they did last year! We have a new Rifle shaft available exclusively for our PFC dealers. It is a .370” master blank that allows them to achieve both Rifle and Rifle Flighted in flexes ranging from 4.0-7.5. More info at the following link [url="http://www.performancefittingcenter.com/pfc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120"]http://www.performancefittingcenter.com/pfc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120[/url]

WITB

[quote name='anthony007' timestamp='1358528588' post='6253349']
How many tour guys are playing the x hot driver vs the new razr fit? why would i want x hot over the razr fit and vice [b]versa[/b].

Thanks
[/quote]

We have had all three Drivers in play already this year on Tour. The biggest difference you will see with RAZR Fit Xtreme is a head that is slightly lower spinning and offers greater adjustability than X Hot.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1358356596' post='6239895']
True Temper - In regards to specs it seems that there is very little difference in actual weight between the Project X 95 and PXi in 6.0 specifically only 6 grams. Is the main other distinguishing feature between the two the flighted nature of the X 95's or are there other performance differences as well.

Callaway - In regards to the X-Hot Pro vs the Razr Fit extreme is there any appreciable difference in ball speeds between the two heads, and do you think that the simplicity of the X-Hot has something to do with the quick uptake on the tour. Also, in regards to fitting it seems that most pros are using the double cog adapters, does this feature allow for much more fine tuning, and if so is there any thought to making them available on all X-Hot Pros?
[/quote]
Both of these drivers feature the same type of Speed Frame Face design and both of the faces are pushed right up to the limit so any differences in ball speed would come from having a better match of loft or cg height. The bigger difference is backspin, RF XTreme spins less so for some players that will make it longer. X HOT Pro is a great driver and our X HOT line is generating a lot of buzz, Tour players are not immune to this buzz so they are exited about it too, I expect we will see a good number of Xtremes in play as other staffers start to play and the season wears on. Our dual cog adaptors are available as a custom option, we build our Tour players clubs with them so they have the option to fine tune their face angle and ball flight, many use settings equivalent to what you can get with the single cog though. You don't get a greater range with the dual cog, just more settings in between.