SkyPro - really impressive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Chris: glad to hear you're enjoying it! That is strange it wasn't registering swings. Sounds like the iPad overheading might have been an issue. It may help to try reseting both the iPad and the SkyPro (you can reset the SkyPro by putting it back into its case - make sure it's not plugged in first - then closing the lid and waiting 10 seconds or so). Thanks for the feedback - I'll check what I can do about that shirt! The simulator is a good idea, and something we've talked about, but it's a really big job so don't hold your breath just yet!

EagleReaper: also great to hear SkyPro's helping out. We don't yet have a place to share swings, but this is something we need to do. SkyGolf has a golf community already, so we're working with them to integrate into that.

Thanks everyone else for your support!

Gord

[quote name='Star Mason' timestamp='1372437160' post='7342246']
Just wished it worked on IOS 5.....don't ask.
[/quote]

Damn. Just noticed it on iTunes:

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini and iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. [b]Requires iOS 6.1 or later[/b]. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

I'm still running 5.1.1 on my iPad 3 since Google hasn't released its Maps app for iPad.

Gord, any chance the dev team will support iOS 5.1.1 when the SkyPro iPad app is released?

Took my SkyPro out for the first time after updating the app to 1.3 and ran into all kinds of trouble. I got a message saying the device had been disconnected and later I got a message saying my skyPro was not in range and to move closer although my iPhone was in my pocket as it always is. I also got several messages to calibrate after already having calibrated. Has anyone else run into this after the update? I had 500 swings prior to the update and had never seen anything like this.

[quote name='EagleReaper' timestamp='1372444278' post='7342994']
So anyway to my question. Is there a sharing community for downloading other people's swings yet? I would like to be able to compare my swing style to others and overlay them. Maybe a pro would contribute so we have a good model? If anyone wants mine let me know and I will email them so you can see the before and after or whatever. I am 6'4 and my brother is 6'5 so the swingplanes on the demo guys don't match up too well.
[/quote]
I have the same problem with the swing planes not matching the model well and still have not figured how to use skyPro to correct swing plane yet. I've asked several times but no one has provided a satisfactory answer. It seems like I'm the only one with this issue so I must be missing something basic.

SF15: sorry I doubt we'll be able to support iOS 5.1.1 in the iPad update. It's not easy to modify your app to support older versions of iOS. But google is supposed to release an iPad maps app soon! [url="http://www.imore.com/google-maps-ipad-new-features-coming-later-summer"]http://www.imore.com/google-maps-ipad-new-features-coming-later-summer[/url]

Swingnmiss: That's strange. I can't think of anything in the update that could have caused that. We do get bug reports when something like that goes wrong, so if this proves to be a frequent problem we'll fix it. If you're still having problems please try closing the app manually by double clicking the iPhone's home button, holding the SkyPro icon, then tapping the red x bubble. Also please let me know if that happens again.

Sorry I've been remiss at answering your swing plane questions. The intent there was to work with video apps like V1 Golf app. As an example, I found this video online: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L602H-NViho"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L602H-NViho[/url]. You'll notice that he starts by drawing a line on the shaft at address. This is equivalent to our lower plane in plane mode, which we can measure directly. Then he draws a line through the golfer's shoulders. This we can't automatically do, because we only know where the club is - not the golfer (or his shoulders). We try to estimate an upper plane with a formula based on the address plane and a typical golfer's proportions, but the real idea is to get your actual angle from your video app. Say it's 14°. Now go into the plane mode in SkyPro, and enter 14° into the "Top Plane" box using the + and - buttons. (If the "Top Plane" box doesn't show up, tap the camera icon at the bottom right and switch to Down-the-Line view. If the buttons don't show up, tap the "Top Plane" box. I realize this is a bit clunky... we'll get that cleaned up eventually). Now you can hit balls and get immediate feedback on your swing without having to set up a video camera or worry about the associated perspective issues!

Gord

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1372477678' post='7346128']
Swingnmiss: That's strange. I can't think of anything in the update that could have caused that. We do get bug reports when something like that goes wrong, so if this proves to be a frequent problem we'll fix it. If you're still having problems please try closing the app manually by double clicking the iPhone's home button, holding the SkyPro icon, then tapping the red x bubble. Also please let me know if that happens again.

Sorry I've been remiss at answering your swing plane questions. The intent there was to work with video apps like V1 Golf app. As an example, I found this video online: . You'll notice that he starts by drawing a line on the shaft at address. This is equivalent to our lower plane in plane mode, which we can measure directly. Then he draws a line through the golfer's shoulders. This we can't automatically do, because we only know where the club is - not the golfer (or his shoulders). We try to estimate an upper plane with a formula based on the address plane and a typical golfer's proportions, but the real idea is to get your actual angle from your video app. Say it's 14°. Now go into the plane mode in SkyPro, and enter 14° into the "Top Plane" box using the + and - buttons. (If the "Top Plane" box doesn't show up, tap the camera icon at the bottom right and switch to Down-the-Line view. If the buttons don't show up, tap the "Top Plane" box. I realize this is a bit clunky... we'll get that cleaned up eventually). Now you can hit balls and get immediate feedback on your swing without having to set up a video camera or worry about the associated perspective issues!

Gord
[/quote]

I'm going to take my skyPro to the range again today so I'll let you know how that goes. About the swing plane, thanks for that, that makes sense. I somehow doubt people on this thread are using this method so I wonder how they are figuring out coming over the top, etc. like they say they are.

Thanks.

I had my first practice round last night.......wow. 100 swings with a 6 iron and I can already tell this is the best investment in golf improvement I have ever made. Better fundamentals, swings and tempo in theory it should translate into better scores but really just hitting better, purer shots more routinely is worth the price of admission. I'm on the brink of double digit handicap to single so all these little tweaks should put me over the edge and keep me there. This is very cool.

Works well too just hitting a rubber tee and doesn't work (as it should) with just waggles or pump drills etc. Very happy so far, I'll keep my impressions and ideas for improvement coming to those on the sidelines.

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1372517667' post='7348950']
How can I use my grooves and move to alerts in swing mode? The alerts setting is confusing to set....

And in groove mode..can I work on more than one groove at once? Example outside take away 8 degrees and 15 degree closed face angle? Kinda like killing 2 birds with one stone :)
[/quote]

I talked with the guys at Skypro about setting custom alert settings, and that it's difficult to understand. They agreed and admitted it was an oversight that will be fixed in the next update. It should read "degrees forward/back", instead of "neg/pos", etc.... It will be fixed shortly.

[quote name='SunOfGolf' timestamp='1372530136' post='7350198']
[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1372517667' post='7348950']
How can I use my grooves and move to alerts in swing mode? The alerts setting is confusing to set....

And in groove mode..can I work on more than one groove at once? Example outside take away 8 degrees and 15 degree closed face angle? Kinda like killing 2 birds with one stone :)
[/quote]

I talked with the guys at Skypro about setting custom alert settings and that's it's difficult to understand. They agreed and admitted it was an oversight that will be fixed in the next update. It should read "degrees forward/back", instead of "neg/pos", etc.... It will be fixed shortly.
[/quote]

Thanks man..cool stuff..can't wait to take to the range next week. Alot of cool features, and tons of info that you can just stare ate for hours. My scramble partners loved this thing ...

I thought of a commercial for this product.

Guy gets on one knee with the skypro charger box in front of his girlfriend.
Girl gets all excited like he's about to propose.
He opens the skypro charger box and says, will you practice with me
And she acts like he just proposed with great excitement.

I'm just saying, it's a great commercial that's funny and would move some product.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

SF15: sorry I doubt we'll be able to support iOS 5.1.1 in the iPad update. It's not easy to modify your app to support older versions of iOS. But google is supposed to release an iPad maps app soon! [url="http://www.imore.com/google-maps-ipad-new-features-coming-later-summer"]http://www.imore.com...ng-later-summer[/url]
[/quote]

Google has been dragging their feet on releasing the Maps for iPad. Hope your iPad app comes out soon and I'll just bite the bullet and update to iOS 6.1/7. BTW, any preview on the layout, features, for the Retina display?

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1372510508' post='7348100']

Sorry I've been remiss at answering your swing plane questions. The intent there was to work with video apps like V1 Golf app. As an example, I found this video online: . You'll notice that he starts by drawing a line on the shaft at address. This is equivalent to our lower plane in plane mode, which we can measure directly. Then he draws a line through the golfer's shoulders. This we can't automatically do, because we only know where the club is - not the golfer (or his shoulders). We try to estimate an upper plane with a formula based on the address plane and a typical golfer's proportions, but the real idea is to get your actual angle from your video app. Say it's 14°. Now go into the plane mode in SkyPro, and enter 14° into the "Top Plane" box using the + and - buttons. (If the "Top Plane" box doesn't show up, tap the camera icon at the bottom right and switch to Down-the-Line view. If the buttons don't show up, tap the "Top Plane" box. I realize this is a bit clunky... we'll get that cleaned up eventually). Now you can hit balls and get immediate feedback on your swing without having to set up a video camera or worry about the associated perspective issues!

Gord
[/quote]

I'm going to take my skyPro to the range again today so I'll let you know how that goes. About the swing plane, thanks for that, that makes sense. I somehow doubt people on this thread are using this method so I wonder how they are figuring out coming over the top, etc. like they say they are.

Thanks.
[/quote]

swingnmiss, what I've been looking at is the swing animation and seeing the backswing is more inside/flat than the downswing which more outside/steep. So I would imagine that's what other people are looking at to see if they are coming over the top.

[quote name='nandler' timestamp='1372550092' post='7352232']
[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1372510508' post='7348100']

Gord
[/quote]

Thanks.
[/quote]

swingnmiss, what I've been looking at is the swing animation and seeing the backswing is more inside/flat than the downswing which more outside/steep. So I would imagine that's what other people are looking at to see if they are coming over the top.
[/quote]

Ditto on this. If you look at the screenshot I uploaded earlier in the thread my swing on #51 the lower clubline traced my backswing and the upper was my downswing. I interpreted this as being over the top. After working groove mode at 0 deg on the takeaway angle first until i got a good feeling for that reach-back being more vertical I worked on groove mode of Return Angle @ 1/2 down at 0 deg.

Once I got a good feel for both I saw both my swing planes sync and there was less separation between the two club angles.

Also as a side note here is a huge tip. If it is constantly telling you that you have shaft lean at address but your shaft is straight as you see it in your hands with no angle it's the club face. On my address my club was too closed and it showed as a large forward shaft lean. It also would not show the club meeting the hands of the 3d guy. After fixing that I found the club handle at impact was traveling in front of the model which told me my hands were getting way out ahead of my body at impact. That was causing some issues with my clubhead staying open (slice).

Played 18 today and while not as consistent as I want to be yet I still hit quite a few good shots. The snap slice only showed up twice today. I also creamed the crap outta two drives and they felt sweet! Now one of the issues I am contending with is what club to swing. If I get it good and it feels right it is easily 1 club more than what I was before.

Everyone stated that it was amazing at how much my swing has changed and how much more on plane it looks now compared to the past 2 weeks. I still have a long way to go but I feel a lot better about playing!

Thanks SkyPro!

[quote name='EagleReaper' timestamp='1372556824' post='7353072']
Played 18 today and while not as consistent as I want to be yet I still hit quite a few good shots. The snap slice only showed up twice today. I also creamed the crap outta two drives and they felt sweet! Now one of the issues I am contending with is what club to swing. If I get it good and it feels right it is easily 1 club more than what I was before.

Everyone stated that it was amazing at how much my swing has changed and how much more on plane it looks now compared to the past 2 weeks. I still have a long way to go but I feel a lot better about playing!

Thanks SkyPro!
[/quote]

Good job..email me your skypro swing..like to see what your doinf

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1372558396' post='7353266']

Thanks SkyPro!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Done!

Gord
[/quote]

I took the skyPro to the range again today and ran into the problem again. Before starting I killed all apps and did a hard reset of my iPhone 4. I calibrated and took 13 swings with my 8 iron. Then I re-calibrated and took 8 swings with my 7 iron. After the 7th swing it said skyPro not detected and then a second later asked me to re-calibrate. At this point I was annoyed and stopped using skyPro. It seems odd that I took over 500 swings before the update and never once had the issue mentioned above.

Also, I still have the problem I mentioned before where if I am running another app in the foreground skyPro will miss a lot of swings. I was taking video with V1 golf on my phone and took 3 swings. When I switched back into the skyPro app only 1 swing showed up.

On a side note, I was at the driving range and a man stopped and asked me if I was using skyPro. It turns out he had just got one and he had trouble getting it to work. For some reason after he was done calibrating it figured out the right club but it wouldn't let him get past that screen. I killed his skyPro app and re-opened it and everything worked fine. Thought it was kind of cool to run into another skyPro user.

[quote name='SF15' timestamp='1372537228' post='7350894']
SF15: sorry I doubt we'll be able to support iOS 5.1.1 in the iPad update. It's not easy to modify your app to support older versions of iOS. But google is supposed to release an iPad maps app soon! [url="http://www.imore.com/google-maps-ipad-new-features-coming-later-summer"]http://www.imore.com...ng-later-summer[/url]
[/quote]

Google has been dragging their feet on releasing the Maps for iPad. Hope your iPad app comes out soon and I'll just bite the bullet and update to iOS 6.1/7. BTW, any preview on the layout, features, for the Retina display?
[/quote]

I specifically bought a second iPad 3 still on iOS 5.1.1 just for the iOS integrated Google Maps Street View, after being tricked by Apple into replacing it with Apple Maps (which does have a cool 3D mode) when offered an update to iOS 6.0 on my original iPad 3. Now I have the best of both worlds, especially when I put them side by side and click on the same Contact's address! I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Google Maps on the iPad, if it is anything like the iPhone version, which I have installed on my iPad. The Google Maps for the iPhone has stripped out Street View, Google Maps best feature, found on any Android phone!

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1372565941' post='7354014']

Gord
[/quote]

Also, I still have the problem I mentioned before where if I am running another app in the foreground skyPro will miss a lot of swings. I was taking video with V1 golf on my phone and took 3 swings. When I switched back into the skyPro app only 1 swing showed up.

[/quote]

Apparently, the SkyPro app only works reliably when it is the active app in the foreground. I have the same problem, when using the GolfLogix Pro app in the foreground during play (to provide the promised club tracking SkyGolf never delivered on the SGX because GolfLogix owns the patent on it!), while running the SkyPro app in the background, with the SkyPro attached to my driver. It misses a lot of swings in that condition, and will fail to properly transfer swings it does record. I have to turn off the Sky Pro app before my round, use GolfLogix on the course, and then transfer the swings at home, when I relaunch the app (the SkyPro hardware will store up to 30 swings when out of range of the iPad or with the app not loaded, as long as the SkyPro was calibrated on the driver with the app active originally).

That is what I was wondering... So if I calibrate... And go out without iPad , I can register 30 swings? That is very handy..

Some reason the sun shining on iPad really fries that thing.. Even when I put a towel over it.. Over heats like crazy out doors.. The 4 th model, the 3 rd model wasn't as bad outdoors... It is the new processor with the retina display... Already hot.. Any heat just compounds the issue

Getting a lot of info on the 5 th iPad.. Huge changes ahead for the iPad.. Good changes

[quote name='EagleReaper' timestamp='1372560812' post='7353592']
[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1372558396' post='7353266']

Thanks SkyPro!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Done!
[/quote]

Got your swings.. Your a beast... Your speed is unbelievable. ... I will definitely play the white tees when I play u. :) .. Impressive.. Great stats... You are so wide on way down.. I get very narrow..during start of transition u are 40 mph a swing speed.. I'm only 12..

Impressive.. But can u putt ?

Thanks for sending .. I would bust my back tying to get to that speed

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1372592807' post='7354744']
That is what I was wondering... So if I calibrate... And go out without iPad , I can register 30 swings? That is very handy..

Getting a lot of info on the 5 th iPad.. Huge changes ahead for the iPad.. Good changes
[/quote]

Yes, you can leave your overheating iPad at home and still register 30 swings, if you pre-calibrate whatever club you want to use with them!

Now, if only those huge changes ahead for the iPad 5th Generation included restoring Google Maps with Street View, still integrated into the iOS... We can dream, can't we? :-)