2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='paulptg' timestamp='1373853560' post='7454922']
I think the accuracy of all these type of units is a bit subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt when talking a few degrees here or there. What important is the consistency you are trying to develop from swing to swing and if it's 5 mph off or the tempo is a couple points shy then really what does it matter. If you can nail the same 7 iron numbers consistently shot to shot then you're laughing.
[/quote]

I get very consistent 7-iron speed numbers from my SP, but FlightScope says I'm not consistent from swing to swing. Ditto on some other parameters. That's why it matters.

But SP does give me a very general idea about what's going on in my swing, and I guess that's helpful.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know whether SkyGolf has fixed the screw/case-cracking issue on the hardware piece yet or not? I heard some complaints on this issue and SkyGolf has promised a fix for it, I just don't know when they have this figured out before making the purchase. Perhaps, someone from SkyGolf can comment on this?

Thanks

[quote name='PhiQuanTu' timestamp='1373891477' post='7456552']
Does anyone know whether SkyGolf has fixed the screw/case-cracking issue on the hardware piece yet or not? I heard some complaints on this issue and SkyGolf has promised a fix for it, I just don't know when they have this figured out before making the purchase. Perhaps, someone from SkyGolf can comment on this?

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi PhiQuanTu,

Yes, we did implement a series of fixes to ensure there were no more breakages. This was integrated into production at the end of May. You can find more details of our actions here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/781743-skypro-really-impressive/page__st__330__p__7101826#entry7101826

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
-Adam

Thank you for the quick response, Adam. I am now more confident in making the purchase as the hardware issue has been fixed. I'll have to use an old iphone 4 or mini-ipad to connect the SkyPro now, but hopefully you'll also support Android devices in the future.

Thanks

[quote name='adamjohn' timestamp='1373903647' post='7457818']
[quote name='PhiQuanTu' timestamp='1373891477' post='7456552']

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi PhiQuanTu,

Yes, we did implement a series of fixes to ensure there were no more breakages. This was integrated into production at the end of May. You can find more details of our actions here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/781743-skypro-really-impressive/page__st__330__p__7101826#entry7101826"]http://www.golfwrx.c...26#entry7101826[/url]

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
-Adam
[/quote]

Yes, we did implement a series of fixes to ensure there were no more breakages. This was integrated into production at the end of May.
[/quote]

Adam, is there any way to tell whether a particular unit includes these fixes? A serial number or perhaps the Bluetooth ID?

I received my SkyPro as a gift, so I don't have the option of ordering online...

Thanks!

[quote name='ygolohcysp' timestamp='1373917775' post='7459560']
Yes, we did implement a series of fixes to ensure there were no more breakages. This was integrated into production at the end of May.
[/quote]

Adam, is there any way to tell whether a particular unit includes these fixes? A serial number or perhaps the Bluetooth ID?

I received my SkyPro as a gift, so I don't have the option of ordering online...

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hey ygolohcysp,

Send me a PM with the serial number on the side of your SkyPro box, and I can take a look to see where in the mix your SkyPro stands.

If you do happen to have an older unit - I can take care of you right away.

Thanks,
-Adam

[quote name='adamjohn' timestamp='1373938373' post='7461696']
[/quote]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hey ygolohcysp,

Send me a PM with the serial number on the side of your SkyPro box, and I can take a look to see where in the mix your SkyPro stands.

Thanks,
-Adam
[/quote]

PIggy-backing on this, I was one of the first to buy and bought before the fix. Fortunately, I haven't had the cracking issue yet but am a bit worried about what might happen down the line and whether I'd be left with no options. If mine hasn't cracked in over 600 swings am I not going to see the cracking?

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1373939855' post='7461890']
[quote name='adamjohn' timestamp='1373938373' post='7461696']
[/quote]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hey ygolohcysp,

Thanks,
-Adam
[/quote]

PIggy-backing on this, I was one of the first to buy and bought before the fix. Fortunately, I haven't had the cracking issue yet but am a bit worried about what might happen down the line and whether I'd be left with no options. If mine hasn't cracked in over 600 swings am I not going to see the cracking?
[/quote]

Hey swingnmiss,

Thanks for your continued support with SkyPro! It sounds like your SkyPro was among the lucky ones that did not suffer from an improper assembly process. We still have units in the field from the very first run that have logged over 9,000 swings without any issues. That being said, rest assured you will not be left without any options down the road should your run into any breakages.

Thanks,
-Adam

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1373887407' post='7456294']
I think the accuracy of all these type of units is a bit subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt when talking a few degrees here or there. What important is the consistency you are trying to develop from swing to swing and if it's 5 mph off or the tempo is a couple points shy then really what does it matter. If you can nail the same 7 iron numbers consistently shot to shot then you're laughing.
[/quote]

I get very consistent 7-iron speed numbers from my SP, but FlightScope says I'm not consistent from swing to swing. Ditto on some other parameters. That's why it matters.

But SP does give me a very general idea about what's going on in my swing, and I guess that's helpful.
[/quote]

First you buy the SP or SB, only then you upgrade to FS :-)

[quote name='Anton' timestamp='1373966960' post='7463392']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then Trackman!

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1373976798' post='7463732']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then Trackman!
[/quote]

Or Foursights GC2 :)

Anyone gone through a warranty replacement through golfsmith for the Skypro?

I was on the range last Friday and the whole unit exploded. The chip & battery came out and the top half separated from the bottom half. I actually don't know if there was anything else to it cuz I had to pick the pieces up out of the grass on the range and it was getting dark.

I love the product, just hope this replacement goes smooth.

Well I read the whole thread and ordered one last night ... also picked up an ipod touch (whaaaat) from ebay for $80. Ditto the concerns about lack of android, but it sort of feels like it's still way out on the backlog and probably not moving anywhere for the foreseeable future (at least this is what _our software cycle looks like). I'm not thrilled about the apple thing but I can somehow try to live with it. :mellow:

I can't wait to get it here and finally after 20 years of playing golf see my good swing and my bad swing compared for the first time. At this point I have very high expectations for good results, thanks to all for the constructive posts and the skypro team for hopping in here to work through issues / take in feedback.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1374095923' post='7476136']
I can't wait to get it here and finally after 20 years of playing golf see my good swing and my bad swing compared for the first time. At this point I have very high expectations for good results, thanks to all for the constructive posts and the skypro team for hopping in here to work through issues / take in feedback.
[/quote]

I think you'll be happy but......be ready for a big learning curve. Old habits die hard and new ones appear out of nowhere. I'm loving the Skypro, even if it's just 25-30 swings before the kids go to bed. Sure beats the heck out of looking at my uglyass swing on video. FWIW I shot a sweet 81 at a course I could barely break 90 at for the last 5 yrs. I'm not saying SP was the reason but I did use a completely new swing on the course that SP tweaked for me.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]What is FS?

[quote name='vinerino' timestamp='1374147278' post='7480236']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]What is FS?
[/quote]

FlightScope.

[quote name='Golfwarrior' timestamp='1374132679' post='7479694']
So who's shooting lower scores, swinging bettter since they picked one of these up?
[/quote]

I honestly am. Broke into to the 70's for first time after a two weeks of using it. No joke. I had a hard time shooting under 85 previously. I only use it into a net in my makeshift garage studio. Then see results on the course. Fixed a slight OTT that bother me forever, into a consistent baby push draw which gave me incredible confidence in my swing. I think the huge benefit Skypro gives is having the groove checkpoints measured and therefore more understanding of what different 'feels' affect the shot. Example, I had a hard time drawing a ball at all. Now I can draw or fade at will in different degrees of control and curve. Gave me much more confidence and my GIR went up substantially. No BS. However I do think one still needs an understanding of the swing. I learned a lot from Dan C and Monte's posts, and others. I apply what I learned using the Skypro as a tool. Anyone can do this a number of different ways with these devices IMO.

Just got my SkyPro on Tuesday and used it for the first time yesterday. After the first half a dozen or so swings I was like "Wow". I think it is really going to be great for me. I think one of the nice things for me to see was that my swing wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was and with a few tweaks it might be pretty good. Had no idea I was coming so inside on my takeway and was nice to see some swingspeed numbers. What I think would be great would be if some instructors would start to offer SkyPro "interpretations", you know, email them your numbers and they give you some drills to work on. Would be really awesome if the app could do that.

One of the things that suprised me was when I was calibrating it one of the club type options was putter. I don't think that works at the moment but leads me to believe it is on their radar :)

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#A4A4A4]Ping G Stretch 3 Wood[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G 17 hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G 19 hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G20 4 iron[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping i20 5-9[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Cleveland Niblick 42 & 49[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 56[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron Big Sur S[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='SunOfGolf' timestamp='1374153153' post='7480794']
[quote name='Golfwarrior' timestamp='1374132679' post='7479694']
So who's shooting lower scores, swinging bettter since they picked one of these up?
[/quote]

I honestly am. Broke into to the 70's for first time after a two weeks of using it. No joke. I had a hard time shooting under 85 previously. I only use it into a net in my makeshift garage studio. Then see results on the course. Fixed a slight OTT that bother me forever, into a consistent baby push draw which gave me incredible confidence in my swing. I think the huge benefit Skypro gives is having the groove checkpoints measured and therefore more understanding of what different 'feels' affect the shot. Example, I had a hard time drawing a ball at all. Now I can draw or fade at will in different degrees of control and curve. Gave me much more confidence and my GIR went up substantially. No BS. However I do think one still needs an understanding of the swing. I learned a lot from Dan C and Monte's posts, and others. I apply what I learned using the Skypro as a tool. Anyone can do this a number of different ways with these devices IMO.
[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Anyone else shooting lower?

Hi Guys,

Bmul4: The next update to the app is coming soon, but you might find it a little boring. We've spent this past development cycle going through crash reports, hunting down bugs, and improving app stability. So there aren't many new features, but if you're having problems with the app crashing occasionally, or unnecessarily asking for re-calibration, this update should still help. Also, in addition to the app update, we should have something else coming next week too...

Tim, Striker, and DLiver: I wanted to add a few points to your discussion on clubhead speed accuracy. DLiver mentioned that he gets very consistent 7-iron speed numbers from SP, but FlightScope says he's not consistent from swing to swing. In our experience, this is often caused by a minor difference in the definition of clubhead speed. SkyPro always measures the clubhead speed at the center of the club face, while FlightScope - which primarily measures the ball - likely calculates it at the point of impact. Because the club face is rotating very quickly, this can often cause a few mph of difference. In DLiver's case, he could have been swinging the club very consistently, but not always hitting the ball in the same place on the club face.

Some other points about clubhead speed - it is the most accurate if the SkyPro is right under (but not touching) the grip, and the club length is correct. A good rule of thumb is that an inch of error in club length or SkyPro position will cause a constant offset of 2 mph in the SkyPro's results. Also, there is a known issue that if you hit the ground particularly fat, it can really spike your clubhead speed. Tim - this sounds like what you experienced with the 136 - 158 mph swings. We know why it happens and we're working on a fix.

SF15: Is there any chance the clubhead could be stationary, but the grip is still moving a bit before the swing? If not, can you send me a private message and I'll arrange a way to take a look at your swing data. That'll help me further diagnose the problem.

Be back soon!

Gord

Hi Gord,

Thanks for the headsup on the app update. Is this update going to be the iPad Retina-optimized app? There is a good 1/2" of unused screen real estate with the iPhone app at 1x.

The re-calibration issue is welcomed esp. with having to remove my iPad from its case repeatedly. Regarding the "Oops" pop-ups, it appears to occur if you're a sweeper and can brush efficiently across a mat surface. If you're a digger and smacking the mat with reckless abandonment, then there are no issues other than a loss in clubhead speed. I think the sensitivity of the sensor needs to be adjusted for indoor sessions or have an option for the user to select type of session--indoor session using mat with no ball, indoor session using mat with ball, outdoor session on mat, outdoor session on grass, etc.

A few other observations:

1. Shaft Lean @ Address is too conservative. Pure strikers have considerable shaft lean at address. App update needs to address this alert setting or have the option for user to select shaft lean based on particular club selection.
2. Organizing, deleting, grading swings is sorely needed. There should be a way to create a practice session by date, across particular clubs, etc.
3. Landscape mode option for iPad
4. Pro swings for particular clubs (driver, long iron, mid iron, PW, SW, putter) is needed. Groove mode is probably the most valuable tool to ingrain desirable swing positions, but benchmarking against yourself limits its effectiveness as a training tool esp. for those that are new to the game.

Played around with my new Skypro a bit today.

Driver consistently showed 12* of forward shaft lean at impact which I find hard to believe when I'm a high ball flipper hitting a towering flight with an 8* head.

7-iron showed *2 to -2* forward shaft lean at impact which I believe is more accurate based on my high iron ball flight and it's something I'm constantly working on.

No matter what I do I cannot get it to trace a backswing path steeper than the downswing path. If I pick the club straight up and consciously loop it down I can get it to show as a "1-plane" motion. I'll need to look at this on video to see what it looks like visually because I admittedly do tend to come back flatter and lift slightly into the "slot" rather than dropping it (which is a goal). I was surprised that even my most exaggerated attempts didn't produce a significant change in the blue tracer paths. Could be completely accurate and I'm just not doing what I feel like I'm doing.

Does it measure path based on club face position? Maybe I'm setting up with a misaligned face and that's skewing the path readings? With huge push out on an outside path I still consistently get "very inside" on takeaway.

It's definitely going to help me groove a shorter backswing, especially when I see equal or greater club head speeds from the shorter swings. Looking forward to working on that.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

[quote name='DFinch' timestamp='1374278371' post='7495058']
Does it measure path based on club face position? Maybe I'm setting up with a misaligned face and that's skewing the path readings? With huge push out on an outside path I still consistently get "very inside" on takeaway.
[/quote]

You definitely have to have the club face setup square to the target. Gord has mentioned this before and I believe it's mentioned in the help somewhere.

[quote name='DFinch' timestamp='1374278371' post='7495058']
Played around with my new Skypro a bit today.

Driver consistently showed 12* of forward shaft lean at impact which I find hard to believe when I'm a high ball flipper hitting a towering flight with an 8* head.

7-iron showed *2 to -2* forward shaft lean at impact which I believe is more accurate based on my high iron ball flight and it's something I'm constantly working on.

No matter what I do I cannot get it to trace a backswing path steeper than the downswing path. If I pick the club straight up and consciously loop it down I can get it to show as a "1-plane" motion. I'll need to look at this on video to see what it looks like visually because I admittedly do tend to come back flatter and lift slightly into the "slot" rather than dropping it (which is a goal). I was surprised that even my most exaggerated attempts didn't produce a significant change in the blue tracer paths. Could be completely accurate and I'm just not doing what I feel like I'm doing.

It's definitely going to help me groove a shorter backswing, especially when I see equal or greater club head speeds from the shorter swings. Looking forward to working on that.
[/quote]Same happens to me. I like Skypro but I have to lift up , out and then bring inside. My 7 iron is 10 degrees inside on takeaway and my downswing is about o0 degree in return. Always about 10 degree over the top. its my best most powerful swing but can't seem to solve this riddle no matter what I try. It is true that my clubface is perhaps open a bit but not sure how that impacts results