SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='vinerino' timestamp='1375123393' post='7562316']
I have been using Skypro and found that my usage on cellular data was going up dramatically. Never had that before and had limited plan to begin with. So I turned off my cellular data when using my Skypro and then can download it when I get to my house which has wi fi.
Am I understanding this correctly. My son says it should be simply bluetooth and there should be no cellular data usa.
After all, there is no library that it goes to at this time...or is there.

Also, does anyone know how I can take a swing that I have on my Skypro and email it to someone?
[/quote]
Your cell data will go up because the app is uploading the data to the "cloud". This is where the new beta gets its info from. I would assume this will be a future setting in the app, that you can turn off cell data usage, but for now what you are doing is probably the only work around to limit data usage by the app. As far as I know there isn't a way to export swings from the app. I'm sure that will come in the future as well. This technology is really in its infancy, there are so many features and so much potential they are just scratching the surface right now in my opinion.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Peter_b' timestamp='1375123316' post='7562306']
How can I apply for the beta?[quote name='adamjohn' timestamp='1374791977' post='7539652']
Hey everybody,

Over the next few weeks we'll be progressively rolling out our online SkyPro Dashboard. We've been working really hard on this, and listening to what you wanted to see in it.

As we start activating customer Dashboard accounts, we are going to be keeping our ear close to the ground on what you like and what you don't. As a Thank You to the GolfWRX community (for all of your feedback) we wanted to provide everyone here with the chance to be the first on the list to preview the dashboard.

I have attached a link below to get your name at the top. In the coming weeks we will be allowing the rest of SkyPro customers a chance to try the preview, but you guys are first.

Keep in mind this is a Beta Preview, so we are still making some changes - but I wanted to provide you with a chance to see what all of your collected swing data looks like. It's pretty cool!

Check it out:
[url="http://www.myskypro.com/try"]http://www.myskypro.com/try[/url]

Thanks,
-adam
[/quote]

Btw I can not find many videos and reviews on the Skypro. This is strange for a new product.
[/quote]
If you need reviews just read through this thread. 24 pages of reviews and comments. Videos of this product will probably always be limited because its mostly an app that you would show. Just download the app and you get a good feel for the product and how it works.

I've found that working with the data can be a challenge. I'm a 3 handicap and I know my swing quite well, or at least I thought it did before I got the skypro. My swing dynamics were extremely different than I would have ever guessed.
The trouble I ran into while trying to fix my swing was trying to fix the wrong things first. I was using the alerts and trying to just make them not happen. While you will receive an alert for being to far inside you won't receive one for club face angle or being OTT. Trying to fix the half back club angle without fixing the OTT swing will never work!

My suggestion is to work on the overall dynamics of the swing if you have swing plane problems. If you don't, fixing individual parts will be tough. Say you do come 10 degrees OTT, try fixing that while changing your half back club angle as well as face angle, but dont worry as much about the alerts you get as the swing plane.

Of course everyone is different so if your swing is bad improving one dynamic will help in some cases, but it can also hurt if its not the true cause of the swing flaw. You will also notice within the app they do give you some tips as to what each dynamic should be. It will give you an idea of what a teaching pro might tell you these aspects of the swing should be.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1375126280' post='7562686']
[quote name='vinerino' timestamp='1375123393' post='7562316']
I have been using Skypro and found that my usage on cellular data was going up dramatically. Never had that before and had limited plan to begin with. So I turned off my cellular data when using my Skypro and then can download it when I get to my house which has wi fi.
Am I understanding this correctly. My son says it should be simply bluetooth and there should be no cellular data usa.
After all, there is no library that it goes to at this time...or is there.

Also, does anyone know how I can take a swing that I have on my Skypro and email it to someone?
[/quote]
Your cell data will go up because the app is uploading the data to the "cloud". This is where the new beta gets its info from. I would assume this will be a future setting in the app, that you can turn off cell data usage, but for now what you are doing is probably the only work around to limit data usage by the app. As far as I know there isn't a way to export swings from the app. I'm sure that will come in the future as well. This technology is really in its infancy, there are so many features and so much potential they are just scratching the surface right now in my opinion.
[/quote]Thank you...so it goes in a cloud but the cloud is not available at the moment. Still a good idea to turn off cell data usage and then turn it back on when I go home to wi fi. So you're saying this dashboard which i signed up for will then make the cloud library a reality. Thanks.

[quote name='ncosper' timestamp='1375127982' post='7562910']
I've found that working with the data can be a challenge. I'm a 3 handicap and I know my swing quite well, or at least I thought it did before I got the skypro. My swing dynamics were extremely different than I would have ever guessed.
The trouble I ran into while trying to fix my swing was trying to fix the wrong things first. I was using the alerts and trying to just make them not happen. While you will receive an alert for being to far inside you won't receive one for club face angle or being OTT. Trying to fix the half back club angle without fixing the OTT swing will never work!

My suggestion is to work on the overall dynamics of the swing if you have swing plane problems. If you don't, fixing individual parts will be tough. Say you do come 10 degrees OTT, try fixing that while changing your half back club angle as well as face angle, but dont worry as much about the alerts you get as the swing plane.

Of course everyone is different so if your swing is bad improving one dynamic will help in some cases, but it can also hurt if its not the true cause of the swing flaw. You will also notice within the app they do give you some tips as to what each dynamic should be. It will give you an idea of what a teaching pro might tell you these aspects of the swing should be.
[/quote]

Agreed with this.

Work on one or two things and forget the alerts. Once you can groove a proper backswing length(groove that first-as it's easy to get the proper feel with Skypro), I found takeaway grooves (half back angle, face angle half back, etc.. ) to be the huge stepping stone for everything else to fall in place, especially for OTT-er's. Once you nail those, then move on to downswing groove stuff. In other words, use Groove mode to get the best results, so you can focus on one thing at a time. You'll be surprised by just working on a couple checkpoints early in the swing, that the rest will fall into place, which I seem to recall being said from many of the Pros here who are assisting via video... Especially with lag-get the other stuff right and it happens naturally.

I'm hitting the ball farther, purer, and more consistently than ever before thanks to SP.

ncosper is right on the money.

I'm one of the earliest buyers and I've found myself not using it much recently. I take regular lessons and for the things I want to work on I can't find a way to use skyPro to help me. My main problem is a shallow swing plane and I want to develop the feel for getting the club more upright but I can't find a way to do this with skyPro. Gord responded a while back saying the intent was to take video and figure out the desired swing plane angle and then use that angle to work on swing plane with skyPro. What's odd to me is no one is doing that here and yet all of you say you are fixing your plane issues with skyPro. I was hoping to use skyPro to groove my swing plane but unfortunately I am still having to take video on the range.

[quote name='swingnmiss' timestamp='1375144527' post='7564772']
I'm one of the earliest buyers and I've found myself not using it much recently. I take regular lessons and for the things I want to work on I can't find a way to use skyPro to help me. My main problem is a shallow swing plane and I want to develop the feel for getting the club more upright but I can't find a way to do this with skyPro. Gord responded a while back saying the intent was to take video and figure out the desired swing plane angle and then use that angle to work on swing plane with skyPro. What's odd to me is no one is doing that here and yet all of you say you are fixing your plane issues with skyPro. I was hoping to use skyPro to groove my swing plane but unfortunately I am still having to take video on the range.
[/quote]

I've had that issue in the past , and solved it before Skypro was available, however I've refined it even more with Skypro, so you can do it a couple different ways.

Without Skypro:
Simple. Take a golf bag with a driver in it, and stand it up off your heel line a few feet from you. Make sure you miss the driver on your back swing! Lift the club. You'll develop the feel you need in no time. Really is that simple.

With Skypro:
Use Groove in Skypro, and like I said in past thread, target a "Takeaway angle" that's like positive 5 degrees OUTSIDE or more (extreme so you change and feel it). You are probably measuring a 7-15 degree INSIDE takeaway. In order to hit the OUTSIDE number from an address position you'd have to be much steeper.

In either case, make sure your takeaway is one piece. If you still can't do it, don't rotate your left arm, as you probably are.

When you master that, then target a 15 degree(or more) "face angle half back", which should match your spine angle. That should help you a ton!

[quote name='SunOfGolf' timestamp='1375146032' post='7564962']
[/quote]

I've had that issue in the past , and solved it before Skypro was available, however I've refined it even more with Skypro, so you can do it a couple different ways.

Without Skypro:
Simple. Take a golf bag with a driver in it, and stand it up off your heel line a few feet from you. Make sure you miss the driver on your back swing! Lift the club. You'll develop the feel you need in no time. Really is that simple.

With Skypro:
Use Groove in Skypro, and like I said in past thread, target a "Takeaway angle" that's like positive 5 degrees OUTSIDE or more (extreme so you change and feel it). You are probably measuring a 7-15 degree INSIDE takeaway. In order to hit the OUTSIDE number from an address position you'd have to be much steeper.

In either case, make sure your takeaway is one piece. If you still can't do it, don't rotate your left arm, as you probably are.

When you master that, then target a 15 degree(or more) "face angle half back", which should match your spine angle. That should help you a ton!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Without Skypro:

With Skypro:

[/quote]how do you propose to get a 15 degree face angle at half back when mine is around 37. I understand your other points about going outside extreme. I was 20 degree inside at half back and now am 5 degree inside at half back.
But face angle going from 37 to 15...give me some thought to achieve this.
thanks

After reading reviews, it appears Skypro does not have face angle at impact. I read the reason why, but still feel it is important to at least provide some data. I understand flex, etc. can create variables, but it would be nice to see if the sensor on the shaft is at least reasonably square at impact as opposed to being open or closed.

[/quote]

Without Skypro:

With Skypro:

[/quote]

The other thing I am working on is to try to get my hands in during the takeaway and the clubhead outside my hands. I tend to let my arms move away from my body during the takeaway. I'm able to get a close to 0 degree takeaway using skyPro even though my arms move away from my body. Anyways, thanks for the tips.

[quote name='vinerino' timestamp='1375149802' post='7565472']
[/quote]

Without Skypro:

With Skypro:

[/quote]how do you propose to get a 15 degree face angle at half back when mine is around 37. I understand your other points about going outside extreme. I was 20 degree inside at half back and now am 5 degree inside at half back.
But face angle going from 37 to 15...give me some thought to achieve this.
thanks
[/quote]

I would think you have a real strong grip. In either case just match your spine angle. 37 may not be bad, not sure. I know 0 was bad for me! Everyone is a little different. My advice was for swingnmiss who is flat swinging. I solved my flat swing by what i posted. All I know is look at tiger or others down the line, you'll see his face angle half back matches his spine angle. Take it back slow and stop half back, does it visually match your posture spine angle relatively speaking? If so, try to target that and see what SP says.

[quote name='Star Mason' timestamp='1375150318' post='7565554']
After reading reviews, it appears Skypro does not have face angle at impact. I read the reason why, but still feel it is important to at least provide some data. I understand flex, etc. can create variables, but it would be nice to see if the sensor on the shaft is at least reasonably square at impact as opposed to being open or closed.
[/quote]

SP actually shows the face angle and path into the ball before and just after impact. It doesn't give you a metric, but it definitely shows you whether you are open/closed and your path to the ball at impact. It is one of the more useful aspects of SP IMO.

Just got my Skypro and was disappointed to have no alerts on my first few swings!

With looking at the info more closely I have found the following which concerns me - my shaft angle is alarmingly flat with sub 50deg with 6 iron and around 40 with driver.

Edit update - turns out SP called it bang on and in trying a more athletic address and have adopted some kind of downhill ski pose!

I noticed my tempo readings with skypro seemed odd- 3.5:1 .. I used a video swing analysis app, and counted the frames to see what ratio I would get- the video gave me 3.0:1 almost every time. I wonder if a waggle is causing the skypro to miscalculate- I haven't had time to experiment yet- this thought just occurred to me today.

Has anyone gotten strange numbers for shaft lean at impact? Out of 20 swings, most of them were 7* forward. That seems right for me. But there were two or three randomly spaced swings that read -12*. That seems impossible, because the ball flight and contact was no different- and a negative number would mean the club had passed the hands, and should produce a topped ball.

Just wanted to comment on Skypro -I purchased after trying Swingbyte 2 and returning it. I had some trouble pairing skypro as others have mentioned but finally got it. Got about 200 swings in and had trouble calibrating. A quick call to Skypro where we talked about the problem and they sent a replacement on its way. I received it today and it paired immediately and calibrated with no problems. I would call it great customer service!

As for what Skypro can do for me, Take away inside and over the top (Out/in) downswing. Ran 4 groove session for each - swing felt good, ball flight was good though sometime push right (I would assume from open face and new club path). I have a lesson on 8/1 to help me out. I asked the instructor about skypro and he has no experience with but has used Swingbyte. He has no objection to checking it out so we will see what happens. Maybe I can get a couple of his swings recorded :)

I think my patience has run out with this Skypro. I have used it for at least 20 sessions and each time I get some weird readings. Im not sure I can take anymore. For the past fes sessions, I have been getting shaft angle is backwards at setup and impact. So I mad the necessary changes to fix the problem and get things seeming more normal. At todays session, I kept getting 10-14 degrees forward at setup and impact and swing past parallel even on half swings. My device is soo inconistent that it is hard to recommend this to anyone. This thing is confusing me about my swing more than it is helping me. Im just at a complete loss right now. It sync'd with my bluetooth perfectly, calibrated right out of the gate so I commend them on making that part well on my particular device, but these crazy readings are completely upsetting me at tis point. Anyone have any suggestions before I send this device back?

^ are you sure it's not moving around? Make sure it's tight.. I've had a few times where I've left it a touch loose and the readings get off bit by bit after every swing. Also one time I had it so loose that after a couple shots all of a sudden it was reading me left handed.

I'm fighting the backswing length and several times what felt way short of parallel was still past - if you're used to being long there it's very hard to get the feel for what you're supposed to do.. If you have a certain feel ingrained it's hard to get away from it, even if you think you did, you still didn't! IF you're around the beginner level I'd almost bet the device is still accurate.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Thanks for the input Jim. I wish what you said was the case. I thought about that and recalibrated it several times just to see if it would do anything, Same results. Its just all over the place. Regarding the backswing length, I took swings like steve Stricker with no wrist break and still was past parallel. I finally took a slow swing not letting the club pass my right sholder and it was still past parallel. Im going to give it another try tomorrow, but my faith is almost lost in the device. I hope I can get some better retults tomorrow.

Hi Guys, I see I have some catching up to do!

[b]JimNewton[/b]: glad to hear you're excited! You may have already figured this out already, but you can share swings by dragging the swings along the bottom up into the full-page swing view, then tapping on a swing and hitting the action icon on the right. We have more wedges in the upcoming update (in Apple review process). Your open source comment is interesting. Apple's provisioning process does make this somewhat complicated (you have to be a registered Apple developer to install an apps on the phone). That said, we have been working a bit on something in this area. In the meantime, as a sort of rudimentary bug tracker, it would be awesome if you could private message me any issues you find.

[b]SF15: [/b]Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that you have to drag up the row of swings along the bottom into the full screen mode to hit edit and delete a swing. To do this, tap a swing like you were going to view it, but then drag your finger up the screen. This should reveal the edit button. What you describe in your last post is really bizarre! I haven't heard of anything like that. My suggestion would be to try resetting the SkyPro itself. To do this, place it in your charging case (make sure the charging case is _not_ plugged in), close the lid, and wait for 10 seconds. If this doesn't fix it please private message me.

[b]Vinero: [/b]Right now the app should only upload swings when you get back to WiFi (since they do take a lot of data). That doesn't explain why you'd see cellular usage when you're not on Wifi however. There are some small network actions that still run over cellular data - like logging into your ClubSG account when you open the app - but they should only use a trivial amount of data. Maybe try again on our next app update (coming out very soon) and check if you still see a lot of data usage.

[b]Schall87: [/b]Good question about tempo & waggle. For the purposes of tempo, we actually determine the swing start to be when the swing exceeds a certain amount of velocity. The intention here is to ignore waggle, so unless you waggle quite a bit it shouldn't be an issue. We've previously found that the exact definition of the transition between backswing to downswing can cause a big discrepancy. SkyPro uses the time at which your club is farthest in the target line direction. If you're off this mark by just a frame in video analysis, it can make a big difference. For example, a typical backswing is about 0.81 seconds, and a typical downswing is about 0.27 seconds. At the iPhone's video rate of 30 frames per second, this is 27 frames of backswing to just 9 frames of downswing. 27/9 is 3 : 1, but - with a change of just one frame in the downswing - you get 27/8 = 3.375 : 1. Still not quite 3.5:1, but you can see what a huge effect this has. Your shaft lean of -12° does seem quite strange. If you look at those swings in the 3D view do they look quite weird?

[b]Tim:[/b] I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Jim's input was great, but if your device had slid, recalibrating should have fixed the issue. What club were you using? One thing to note about shaft lean is that it does depend on your target line at address. SkyPro uses the direction your club is pointing in at address as the target line. If it is closed or open, this will affect shaft lean (the exact amount is around 0.5° of extra forward shaft lean for every 1° your face is closed in relation to the true target line). For backswing length, I think Peter_b's suggestion is a good one. One other thing could be to make sure new swings are coming in along the bottom, so that there is no chance you could be looking at an old swing. I have a lot of faith in our backswing length so I'll keep thinking of what it could be!

[b]Son of Golf & NCosper: [/b]Thanks for relating your experiences with SkyPro and your suggestions on how to use it. That is great feedback not just for people reading the forum but for us in designing the product as well!

Gord

Gord, Are you saying that it is unnecessary to turn OFF my cellular usage when hitting balls outside my wifi area? My son says i should be only using bluetooth so it is unnecessary to turn off.
When does it go into cloud/library and where can I find cloud/library. I thoguht by turning usage off and then back on, that I would control when it goes into cloud...especially if i only want to save 5% of my swings.
If I hit 100 balls, i may only have 5 that are FAVORITES. I went to screen that had Favorites and Imports (not sure what that is?) and also marked 7 iron because that was what i was using...
Do not know what that did. In any event, I would prefer to hit 100 balls, just have favorites saved and let the other 95 disappear with hit of one buttone rather than individually edit the other 95.
Skypro is helping me but just trying to understand it better. Thanks

Thanks Gord- I think I figured out what was causing the tempo issues- I took some swings yesterday and they were mostly around 3:1-- it would begin to deviate from that range, and if I re-calibrated, it would return to normal 3:1. My guess is, the device was shifting on the club shaft- so I probably just need to tighten it down more.

I really am a fan of this device. I am still getting acquainted with it, but I can already see that this is going to be an excellent tool to build, practice, & monitor the perfect swing.

[quote name='Peter_b' timestamp='1375245285' post='7574002']
Why not post a swing video and the readings the SP gives. Should be evident if its wrong or right.
[/quote]

Thats a good idea. It takes some work to do that which is the only reason I haven't at this point. Ill have to invest some time into doing that to see if its mee or the unit. Thanks for the idea Peter.

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1375251824' post='7574282']
[b]SF15: [/b]Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that you have to drag up the row of swings along the bottom into the full screen mode to hit edit and delete a swing. To do this, tap a swing like you were going to view it, but then drag your finger up the screen. This should reveal the edit button. What you describe in your last post is really bizarre! I haven't heard of anything like that. My suggestion would be to try resetting the SkyPro itself. To do this, place it in your charging case (make sure the charging case is _not_ plugged in), close the lid, and wait for 10 seconds. If this doesn't fix it please private message me.

[b]Tim:[/b] I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Jim's input was great, but if your device had slid, recalibrating should have fixed the issue. What club were you using? One thing to note about shaft lean is that it does depend on your target line at address. SkyPro uses the direction your club is pointing in at address as the target line. If it is closed or open, this will affect shaft lean (the exact amount is around 0.5° of extra forward shaft lean for every 1° your face is closed in relation to the true target line). For backswing length, I think Peter_b's suggestion is a good one. One other thing could be to make sure new swings are coming in along the bottom, so that there is no chance you could be looking at an old swing. I have a lot of faith in our backswing length so I'll keep thinking of what it could be!

Gord
[/quote]

Thanks Gord for the delete instruction. I counted five screen presses to delete a swing so if there's a way to reduce that down to 1-2 screen presses that would make it more user friendly. For example, the Swingbyte app has a dedicated trash can button and it takes a press to confirm deletion for a total of two presses.

I tried your "reset" suggestion and the SP is working again. Is this a suggested maintenance process in needing to reset the SP RAM or firmware after 200 swings? 300? Wondering if I need to always bring the charging case to the range.

Another observation is that hitting foam balls vs. golf balls on an indoor mat generates clubhead speed difference between 15-20 mph. Can the algorithm be tweaked so there's not such a huge variance? Or is the amount of impact force from the heavier golf ball always going to result in higher clubhead speed numbers?

In summary:

1) brushing mat EFFICIENTLY with no ball - app does not register swing
2) hitting mat fat with no ball - swing is captured
3) brushing mat with foam ball - swing is captured eg, 80 mph
4) brushing mat with golf ball - swing is captured at 95-100 mph

Any ETA on the app update? Added features, tweaks? Perhaps create a feature request list, priority rank, poll based on user feedback.

Tim, try resetting the SP. My unit was spitting out weird numbers before it crashed. The backswing length numbers are legit. One thing to keep in mind is if you're using a hitting strip mat and a separate stance mat and the former is more elevated then your bsl will be considerably shorter than parallel unless you edit the club settings. If the lies are even then you should be fine.