SkyPro - really impressive

jons1

Angle of Attack is direction vector of the CoG of the clubhead relative to the horizon (or ground if level) just before impact. In a 2D illustration, it could be seen as the tangent to the swing path.

According to the brochure I have, the new mySwing product at the PGA show has clubhead speed, path, face to path angle, Angle of Attack, dynamic loft. lie angle, shaft lean, swing tempo and estimated ball flight and even an illustration of the D-plane for each shot. Richie Hunt, who writes here, said it was the superstar of the show because it also had a second body sensor.

That sensor can be attached to the pelvis or shoulder and shows that motion synchronized with the swing data. For the shoulder sensor, you'd see a 3D view of upper body tilts during the swing and can see if your swing stops when your shoulders stop rotation. It also had graphs of pelvis or shoulder speed and degrees of rotation. You could see your body action synchronized with your club motion in slow motion. It's like having two cameras simultaneously recording your swing, but without the cameras. hehe.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@golfskypro responded to a tweet on 1/27/14 from someone asking about pro swings, saying "Checking with the developers now. Will let you know when I hear back from them". Wouldn't suprise me if they weren't waiting for the new app to drop next month.

In the meantime, they did release a pro swing, but they buried it in the blog with no hoopla: (http://www.golfskypro.com/blog/natalie-gulbis-toscana-country-club).

The partnership with ping is very exciting. Hopefully we will see all of the Ping pro's swings soon. The again, people might hurt themselves trying to match Bubba's swing!

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Big Dog: Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Ole Blue

Hybrids: TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: TP5x for now

[quote name='scottishpedro' timestamp='1392149681' post='8645995']
I was lucky enough to play with a pro at Isleworth recently who played a year on the pga tour and he kindly hit a few drivers with my sky pro attached.
[/quote]

Can you please share this swing? If you don't want to make it public, please PM me. Thanks!

Hey all recently got the Skypro and really enjoying it so far. Can't wait for the March update to come out. Haven't been able to get to the range with it yet but doing chipping around the house I've noticed a pattern showing up and I'm wondering if this is a skypro issue or am I really decelerating into my chip. Or is that just the moment of impact when the club slows down a bit?

[quote name='Norgan' timestamp='1392157056' post='8646925']
Hey all recently got the Skypro and really enjoying it so far. Can't wait for the March update to come out. Haven't been able to get to the range with it yet but doing chipping around the house I've noticed a pattern showing up and I'm wondering if this is a skypro issue or am I really decelerating into my chip. Or is that just the moment of impact when the club slows down a bit?
[/quote]

That appears to spike sharply into impact, showing acceleration, not deceleration. Drag the slider bar around the bottom, it shows the MPH at every point in your swing.

Current Bag:

[quote name='TravAz' timestamp='1392161410' post='8647519']
[/quote]

That appears to spike sharply into impact, showing acceleration, not deceleration. Drag the slider bar around the bottom, it shows the MPH at every point in your swing.
[/quote]

Actually, I think the very sharp spike is not a genuine increase in club head speed, but a bit of electronic error, which should be filtered out. I have had something like that a few times with my driver if I just brush the ground before ball impact. Gord told me that when the club head hits the ground, it decellerates and causes additional shaft flex. This shaft flex is wrongly interpreted by the SkyPro as acceleration. I understand SkyPro will increase the filtering in the next update (due 1 March 2014) to reduce or eliminate this anomoly.

Also looking forward to the March update.

BHB1

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1392162579' post='8647675']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, I think the very sharp spike is not a genuine increase in club head speed, but a bit of electronic error, which should be filtered out. I have had something like that a few times with my driver if I just brush the ground before ball impact. Gord told me that when the club head hits the ground, it decellerates and causes additional shaft flex. This shaft flex is wrongly interpreted by the SkyPro as acceleration. I understand SkyPro will increase the filtering in the next update (due 1 March 2014) to reduce or eliminate this anomoly.

BHB1
[/quote]

Good said some of my 148 mph pitching wedge shots were caused by that. Too bad those aren't real, lol.

[quote name='drudixon' timestamp='1392172118' post='8648911']
[/quote]

[/quote]

BHB1
[/quote]

Good said some of my 148 mph pitching wedge shots were caused by that. Too bad those aren't real, lol.
[/quote]

If the club head hits the ground, I can see how it could lose velocity and perhaps lose some acceleration (if the velocity is still increasing with time at that point). Or, probably more likely, the velocity is decreasing with time (decelerating) caused by the impact. But I'm confused how a deceleration would confuse the velocity number. The Skypro is reporting velocity (actually speed since it doesn't indicate direction), not an acceleration/deceleration number. So I guess I'm not convinced the sudden spike in speed is caused by hitting the ground. Can someone explain?

[quote name='hoops129' timestamp='1392221270' post='8652055']
[quote name='drudixon' timestamp='1392172118' post='8648911']
[/quote]

[/quote]

BHB1
[/quote]

[/quote]

If the club head hits the ground, I can see how it could lose velocity and perhaps lose some acceleration (if the velocity is still increasing with time at that point). Or, probably more likely, the velocity is decreasing with time (decelerating) caused by the impact. But I'm confused how a deceleration would confuse the velocity number. The Skypro is reporting velocity (actually speed since it doesn't indicate direction), not an acceleration/deceleration number. So I guess I'm not convinced the sudden spike in speed is caused by hitting the ground. Can someone explain?
[/quote]

As Gord explained it to me, the SkyPro is effectively measuring motion on the shaft, just below the grip, NOT at the club head, which would perhaps be the ideal position. However, the club head location would be impractical, due to the shock forces on any electronics at club head/ball impact.

When the club head contacts the ground there is decelleration, but the hand keeps moving, the shaft flexes probably rather more abruptly and this is seen by the SkyPro motion sensors as a speed increase. But it is NOT an actual speed increase at the club head.

Other posters have stated that every golfer suffers some decelleration just before impact. The pros will see this only a couple of inches before impact and it will be minor. Regular golfers will see a decelleration further away from the ball before impact. So when I do not hit the ground with the club before ball impact, my club head speed profile shows a slight dip (1-2 mph) just before impact. I understand this is the effect of wrist release.

Gord has said they will be improving the electronic data filtering to stop erroneous higher speed indication where ground contact is made prior to ball impact. Also, because the club is actually bent during the swing (watch your swing on high speed video), the club head speed may be a couple of mph faster than indicated by the SkyPro.

BHB1

[quote name='TravAz' timestamp='1392067363' post='8638955']

In the meantime, they did release a pro swing, but they buried it in the blog with no hoopla: ([url="http://www.golfskypro.com/blog/natalie-gulbis-toscana-country-club"]http://www.golfskypr...na-country-club[/url]).

[/quote]

Anyone else surprised to find out Natalie Gulbis' clubhead speed is 86 mph?

[quote name='potatoshooter' timestamp='1392415957' post='8669765']
[quote name='TravAz' timestamp='1392067363' post='8638955']
In the meantime, they did release a pro swing, but they buried it in the blog with no hoopla: ([url="http://www.golfskypro.com/blog/natalie-gulbis-toscana-country-club"]http://www.golfskypr...na-country-club[/url]).

[/quote]

Anyone else surprised to find out Natalie Gulbis' clubhead speed is 86 mph?
[/quote]

Yes, I see that her Back Swing length was 21 Deg off the parallel, which would presumably loose her quite a bit of club head speed.

I was more surprised that her Shaft Direction at top was 16 Deg inside and the Return Angle @Half Way Down was 8 Deg inside. Not sure how critical that combination is - need to show my Pro the swing on the iPad when I have my next lesson. (Didn't take my replacement iPad yesterday, as I was waiting for a new protective screen for the glass, before I take the iPad to the range).

BHB1

[quote name='eyewipe' timestamp='1392902192' post='8707961']
If you follow NG's swing past impact it looks like a super hook?! I was kinda happy to see her slightly positive shaft lean at impact with driver as I show this often.
[/quote]

I think the SkyPro analysis shows 1 deg Backwards at impact!

The video clip seems to show the ball going straight enough, though I didn't see it after its flight against the blue sky.

So much for keeping your head steady when hitting the ball!

BHB1

[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1392912853' post='8708833']
Are you sure that swing video taped is the one that is actually modeled in the app? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.
[/quote]

I doubt it, as there is no sign of the SkyPro sensor on the driver shaft there. However, I expect Pro players would have a pretty consistent swing, unless trying for a special shot or making an obvious mistake. Don't think she would allow a fluffed shot to be recorded on a Skypro and then made public. The video looks like a pretty respectable shot. She does also look to be quite far inside at the top of her swing in the video again.

BHB1

So...if I buy the current iteration of the Skypro...I can simply download a software update and it won't be inferior to the 2.0 version that is to come out?

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

Thats the story. New app drops sometime in March, but no hardware changes. I bought it fully intending to return it if I don't absolutely love the new app. Not sure what hardware improvements they could really make anyway.

Current Bag:

Yeah ordered one today on the same understanding...thanks.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

As we all know, one thing which skypro is lacking is preloaded pro swings to allow us to see what a good skypro swing should look like. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I was lucky enough to play a round at Isleworth with a former PGA tour pro and he kindly had a go with his driver with my skypro connected.

I contacted him, and he is happy for me to share his swing. Is there a way to share the actual swing online without sending it via email etc? For now here are some screenshots

52beca6ed8ebbd29658f53dd1aaf6514.jpg

513042d0d44561b198085708f02063df.jpg

d749631c7e6a055c8cbc5710413036bd.jpg

Pro swing is the left column below

aaadc7ebfa00072bb4c6f1ad78b0fbdb.jpg

313908edd207e96dc9d129e6db7cdb60.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all your feedback. Hearing what you want in the app always helps us prioritize our development. Looks like video is a big one!

The new app is still on schedule for March 1st! This depends a bit on how long it takes Apple to approve our app, but they’ve been really fast lately. I also wanted to confirm that the new app will be backwards compatible with all SkyPro hardware.

I can’t say if Ping plans to release their app publicly (I don’t actually know myself). I’ll let you guys know if/when I can. We’re pretty excited to have Ping use SkyPro. They did extensive testing of all the various swing analyzers, so we were very pleased to have them choose ours. It’s nice validation for all the work we’ve put into our accuracy.

[b]Goatbarn[/b] - very perceptive noticing Ping shows Angle of Attack! This was something we’d been actually been calculating behind for a while, but we didn’t display it in previous versions of the app because we didn’t think we’d tested it enough.

[b]ParHunter [/b]- thanks for all your great responses. Also, you raise a good question about using the SkyPro on the course with a driver. As Morini mentioned, the SkyPro itself has storage for 32 swings. Each should include its original timestamp, as long as you connect it to the iPhone before starting your round (this gives us an absolute time; our SkyPro clock only measures the time since it was last reset). Slowcelia raises a good point about damaging the SkyPro. I know one user of SkyPro that actually attaches a bungee cord to the side of his bag, and uses that told hold the driver during the round. I’ve done something similar. So it certainly is possible to do use your SkyPro during a round, it just takes a bit of extra care!

Also, I think you mentioned that our app looks like its a real iPhone/iPad app now instead of being scaled up. Thats unfortunately not quite true - yet. This update has taken a while because we re-architected a lot of the underlying structure of the app, which, among other benefits, will make it much easier to port to iPad (and Android). We actually thought about including iPad in this release, but that would delay the launch and we didn’t think that was worth it. Our new iPhone app does scale better though, which explains why you might have thought it was a native iPad one!

[b]SF15 - [/b]Good news and bad news. The good: we will have more content from Michael Breed in the upcoming app. I know we have his putts, I’ll have to check on his full swing. The bad: it will require iOS 7. As you briefly mentioned, we don’t have too much choice. Thanks for your input on video (I know you mentioned this a long time ago too!)

[b]Bowlind1, Norgan, Hoops129 - [/b]BH1H has done a great job explaining what’s happening with those clubhead velocity spikes at impact. I just wanted to confirm that those are typically caused by a sudden shaft flex at impact, especially when the club hits the ground first. I know its counter intuitive that this can cause the speed to increase, but it’s because the torque on the bottom of the club head bends the shaft _forward_, like a bow, which tricks SkyPro into thinking it’s suddenly rotating faster. As BH1H mentioned, we’re continually improving our filtering at impact, which should help prevent these aberrations.

Thanks again to everyone that posted! If I’ve missed anybody’s question please let me know - it’s getting late here so I might easily have missed a few :)

Gord