2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='silliwilli' timestamp='1394571074' post='8849929']
Pretty sure shaft plane at impact will always be above shaft plane at address due to centrifugal force.
[/quote]

A few people come in with the shaft shallower or at the same angle as setup, but they're the exception, not the rule.

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

[quote name='AB2SS' timestamp='1394580272' post='8851001']
Uh oh.......

Look familiar? 244 lifetime swings. What's the procedure?
[/quote]
This happened to me too. There are two screws underneath. One of them slides off the shaft holder which has two more screws underneath that. I unscrewed them and then was able to take the two halves apart. I discovered there was a small piece of plastic that broke off that holds the screw in place. I tried gluing that piece back in place but it's just too small. So I abandonded that idea and just put the two halves back together and then used a small strip of electrical tape to wrap around the whole device where the screw piece broke. It works great. Be careful not to put tape over the metal contacts that charge the SP.

[quote name='abman' timestamp='1394666436' post='8858775']
[quote name='AB2SS' timestamp='1394580272' post='8851001']
Uh oh.......

Look familiar? 244 lifetime swings. What's the procedure?
[/quote]
This happened to me too. There are two screws underneath. One of them slides off the shaft holder which has two more screws underneath that. I unscrewed them and then was able to take the two halves apart. I discovered there was a small piece of plastic that broke off that holds the screw in place. I tried gluing that piece back in place but it's just too small. So I abandonded that idea and just put the two halves back together and then used a small strip of electrical tape to wrap around the whole device where the screw piece broke. It works great. Be careful not to put tape over the metal contacts that charge the SP.
[/quote]

Thanks for the fix, but I just contacted TGW and they are replacing with a new unit.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1394165827' post='8816829']
Hi guys,

Wow there’s been a lot of posts in the last few days! I’ll do my best to answer all the questions, but I’m in a bit of a rush so if I miss any let me know!

First of all, quite a few of you have mentioned the alerts for Face Angle @ Top. This is my fault: I accidentally put in a negative sign which makes the alerts incorrect. If you look in alert settings they say 30 and 70 _above_ horizontal; they should say 30 and 70 _below_ horizontal. It also gets mixed up on “bowed” and “cupped” for the same reason. I made a change to this code just before submission and thought I tested it… but clearly not well enough. Sorry about that. I’ll have it fixed in the upcoming update.

Second, as DaveMac, _Fred, and others have mentioned, some of the swings speeds get revised to be a little more accurate. I’m surprised they didn’t save in your case DaveMac. I will certainly fix that.

Potatoshooter, interesting to hear about your foam ball. I was a little worried the new impact filtering would affect foam ball impacts, but I did some testing with foam balls and it worked well for all the ones we have here. Please let me know if you keep having problems and I’ll see what you can do. I also laughed at your comment that your putts could not look any more different than Breed’s… you’re not alone in that boat! I think most people naturally open their face as they swing back, but Breed specifically tries to keep the face square to impact throughout the entire stroke.

On a similar note, some people have mentioned the original Natalie Gulbis swing is now invalid. I also noticed that and did some digging… turns out that one was a practice swing. The new one in the app is not a practice swing, and it does her a bit more justice (the practice swing had a hugely closed face angle at impact, which is probably because she wasn’t hitting a ball).

We’ve also replaced a few of the videos on our website that were having problems. Hopefully they will run a little smoother now.

Morini, thanks for posting your validation data. I found your quoted stats on the standard deviation of Face Angle @ Impact quite interesting - I hadn’t heard those before. To putt in another datapoint, we did some of our testing on a putting guide: basically a “robot” which clamps tightly to the putter and rotates about one axis. Its standard deviation in Face Angle @ Impact must have been .02°. All of its putts measured less than 0.05° open or closed. Maybe this isn’t surprising since it is a robot, but it is cool to see the precision in our gyros (which is why we feel comfortable displaying that parameter down to 0.1° in the app).

DaveMac, if you continue to have problems calibrating please private message me and I can give you a call or help you in more detail.

One last thing: extra thanks to everyone for all the comments and support. Hearing you guys are enjoying SkyPro is the ultimate motivation for us, and your feedback makes a big difference :)

Gord
[/quote]
Is there something I am doing wrong with the putting app I had to shut off shaft lean at address and impact I can't forward press enough with my 33 inch odyssey 7 putter does the calibration take the forward offset of the putter into consideration I can live with it all in all a great swing analyzer

Questions...

1) Can you use an andriod phone or is this strickly an Apple only device. I have an android phone and an Ipad 4.

2) After you swing/putt...how long does it take for the data to transfer to the device?

Thanks!

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

[quote name='bobgeorge' timestamp='1395708952' post='8943255']
Questions...

1) Can you use an andriod phone or is this strickly an Apple only device. I have an android phone and an Ipad 4.
[/quote]

The answer is here: http://www.golfskypro.com/faq

You need an iPhone or iPod as described in one of the questions.

[quote]

2) After you swing/putt...how long does it take for the data to transfer to the device?

[/quote]

A couple of seconds.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1395726624' post='8945095']
Questions...

[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

A couple of seconds.
[/quote]

I believe you can use an iPad too, they used one in the trade show video.

[quote name='slowcelica' timestamp='1395800965' post='8951985']
[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1395726624' post='8945095']
Questions...

[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

A couple of seconds.
[/quote]

I believe you can use an iPad too, they used one in the trade show video.
[/quote]

Yes, I use an iPad4 with no calibration issues, etc.

Only downside to using something large like an iPad is it is not so convenient to carry around a putting green. Having said that, you would probably want to stay in one place on the putting green and hit several balls over the same track of green to minimise the number of variables when you are using the putting application.

BHB1

[quote name='Peter_b' timestamp='1395849745' post='8955059']
Guys sorry but I cant find it. Is there something wrong with the face angle at impact? It seems to me address and impact point are not measured at the same place but the impact point is calculated way before impact?
[/quote]
Can you be more specific? Are you talking about putting mode?

I have done most of my 'SkyPro' putting on my putting mat in my office so far. Now I've done a few putts on a real green and the difference between two similar putts is amazing.

Have a look at the two path in the picture. My path from the office (where I have a line on the putting mat) is a slight arc while my putt on the green goes back well to the inside and then cuts across to the outside in the follow through.

So if you do putting at home or your office, it is well worth of comparing putts from the green with your office stroke!

[attachment=2143325:IMG_2785.PNG]

[attachment=2143943:image.jpg]
Yes same putter. If you look at it, the path is actually fairly straight, it is only that I aimed with a closed club face (and SkyPro takes the target line from that). Just turn the picture by a few degrees anti-clockwise.

To compensate the club face is 1.5 degree open relative to address. To summarise, my aiming is rubbish ;-)

[quote name='Peter_b' timestamp='1395939687' post='8962307']
Yeah that’s right, I am talking about putting mode. I have some degrees out to in with a 2-2.5 open putting face. These two errors are zeroing each-other out -sometimes :)
I just want to know if you guys say the impact is measured at the right spot.
[/quote]

From what recall, face angle has 4 times more impact on ball direction (ignoring off center hits, which is negligble) In other words, if your face is 0.5 degree open, your path needs to be 2 degrees out to in to zero each other out.

As I described earlier, what I did was tape down a plastic card that I laser aligned with the hole on my putting mat (the mat is almost perfectly flat, so there is no break to speak of). By placing a ball near the back end of the card, and putting the putter flush against the back of the card, I can remove aim and alignment from the equation and it will leave my stroke as the only variable. The ball direction predicted by skypro matched the real world results on average, but about 10 percent were off significantly (ie. predicted miss left, when it really was a miss right).
Removing the card and aiming myself,the number of sunk puts from 11 feet dropped from 75% to about 25%. My stroke still wasn't too bad according to Skypro, which means that my aim needs work. This jives with the stats i mentioned earlier for elite players, where aim error is almost twice as large as stroke error. On an artificial surface (aim and stroke error, but no break or surface irregularity related error), Karlsen calculated the standard deviation of direction error of an elite golfer to be 2.24 inches from 11 feet. In other words, slightly over two thirds of 11 feet putts would go in, or at worst lip out.

[quote]So if you do putting at home or your office, it is well worth of comparing putts from the green with your office stroke![/quote]

I was tempted to do that with my driver to see what real world pressure does to my swing. Great idea to try putting on a real green. It is possible that the added complexity of reading break messes with our aim and or stroke. Pelz suggested that most golfers wrongly believe that the apex represents the total break so they don't add enough, and they then subconsciously correct this error by fudging the stroke to add more break.

Why don't you try aiming to an exact target as if it was a straight putt, for example a tee. Or use a line on the ball. My problem is that I second guess my read as I putt, and the stroke goes to crap, so I need to commit to a defined target and tune everything else out. Skypro will be able to tell me how successful I am at doing so. I am also curious as to how pressure situations affect my tempo.

[quote name='sg4817' timestamp='1396143023' post='8977815']
Looks like Skypro has updated..."minor bug fixes". I'm not exactly sure what is included, but I hope they fixed the bowed wrist at the top issue.
[/quote]

Yeap, they seem to have fixed that Wrist Cupped/Bowed bug. I now have very very few of these error messages.

Can't see what else has been done, but have only had a quick review of the application and not done any fresh swings.

BHB1

Nah there is something wrong with the impact measured. I am quite convinced the stroke is measured too early. The skypro will not measure accurately any open-closed putter if its not the right spot measure. Look at the screenshot the impact is much lower on the curve and the face is much more suqare at impact. I mean I have to be sure before I let the skypro destroy my putting swing.

Gord can you tell us something about impact calculation?

tgtlpq2swz6c.png

Hi Guys,

I enjoyed reading all the great discussion on this thread! Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences with SkyPro. Morini, it was really interesting to see the results from your aiming experiments and good to hear about the changes to your son's swing (and your's too). Travaz, it was cool to hear about your procedure and see the actual changes in your screenshots. It's always great to understand how people are actually using it :)

As a few of you have already mentioned, we just released our latest update. It's mainly bug fixes. The most notable is a correction to my Face Angle @ Top mixup, but there are a number of other small fixes as well.

TraVaz: You were asking about the effects of lie angle on accuracy for driver swings. It sounds like you've now adjusted the lie angle for your particular driver in the club settings after calibration - which is good - but the previous error in lie angle probably had minimal effects on the parameters. Most of those (like Shaft Angle for example) do not rely on that lie angle at all. I think the only real source of error would be in the 3D view - it would look like your club head was tilted more toe-up or toe-down than it really is - but except for the 3D appearance of your club, there wouldn't be any major problems.

Dancontorno: My first question would be to ask if you're attaching the SkyPro directly below the grip (it shouldn't be overlapping the grip, but it's best if it's snugged up right against it. If you are doing that and still have problems, please private message me and I can go through some possible causes in more detail.

Bobgeorge: I just want to confirm that you can use our app on your iPad 4. Our app has always worked on an iPad, but our initial certification with Apple had some constraints on us being able to say it was officially compatible. That has been recently fixed; I'll have to update the FAQ.

Peter_b: Good question - I see what you are saying with that screenshot. I can assure you that's just a small 3D display artifact, it doesn't affect our actual data. Our algorithm works by first identifying the exact time of impact in the data based on the sensors' response. We then calculate all the numbers based on that time. What you see in the image is that our 3D ball is being drawn slightly too far forward, such that it looks like it's not touching the face (if you play the swing past impact, you'll see the ball start to move before the club actually makes contact with it). The club is still moving just the way it did during the swing - and the face is at the correct angle - but the ball should be moved back a bit (or be made a bit bigger). I'll see if I can correct that, but it's really just a display issue - it won't affect the numbers at all.

Hope that helps! Thanks again to the feedback from everyone.

Gord

Hello All - Very New to this forum and have just bought the SkyPro, having read every thread from the start - like so many I find it is an amazing tool. I have tried to find the answers both in the forum and the You Tube videos etc, but not sure I can find what I am looking for - I've used the device for both an iron and a putter.

There are a few questions which hopefully you may be able to help please;

· The swing speed on my IPad is shown in MPH, however when I look at my laptop it is Kmh - how do I change this on my laptop please to MPH
·
· The swing numbers on the laptop are shown in order for swings 1 – 35 but then they are all out of sequence, with no logical order, going from 35, to swing 102, then 53, 42, no order whatsoever how do I get them in the right order, on the Ipad they are fine?
· On the laptop, there is no indication if there are any alerts on the swing, yet they show on my IPad, is there a way of getting the alerts to be highlighted on the laptop?
· There is limited data shown on the laptop -Club head Speed, Tempo, Backswing length, take-away angle and return angle, is the other data shown on the IPad available to view?
· On the IPad when there are alerts on my swing, am I able to see what the most frequent alert is within a range of swings – at the moment I have had to go through each swing one at a time and make a note of what the alerts are and then add them up to see the most consistent alert– if you are hitting 50 – 75 balls at a range that is a lot of analysis, it would be great to be able to have a way of selecting a range of swings and the device telling you that out of x number of swings 85% of them had the same alert, 70% had another and so on - as you can guess I get a number of different alerts with each swing so trying to establish what is the most common
· On the putting, I have had to turn off Loft at Address and at impact as these kept coming up as an alert for example 15 degree down at address and 13 at impact, after 70 putts with them coming up on each putt I decided to ignore it.

Hope you can help it’s a great product but I am a little confused with all the data at the moment

Many Thanks - New Member from the UK

[quote name='ACP' timestamp='1396452876' post='9002991']
Hello All - Very New to this forum and have just bought the SkyPro, having read every thread from the start - like so many I find it is an amazing tool. I have tried to find the answers both in the forum and the You Tube videos etc, but not sure I can find what I am looking for - I've used the device for both an iron and a putter.

· The swing speed on my IPad is shown in MPH, however when I look at my laptop it is Kmh - how do I change this on my laptop please to MPH
·
· The swing numbers on the laptop are shown in order for swings 1 – 35 but then they are all out of sequence, with no logical order, going from 35, to swing 102, then 53, 42, no order whatsoever how do I get them in the right order, on the Ipad they are fine?
· On the laptop, there is no indication if there are any alerts on the swing, yet they show on my IPad, is there a way of getting the alerts to be highlighted on the laptop?
· There is limited data shown on the laptop -Club head Speed, Tempo, Backswing length, take-away angle and return angle, is the other data shown on the IPad available to view?
· On the IPad when there are alerts on my swing, am I able to see what the most frequent alert is within a range of swings – at the moment I have had to go through each swing one at a time and make a note of what the alerts are and then add them up to see the most consistent alert– if you are hitting 50 – 75 balls at a range that is a lot of analysis, it would be great to be able to have a way of selecting a range of swings and the device telling you that out of x number of swings 85% of them had the same alert, 70% had another and so on - as you can guess I get a number of different alerts with each swing so trying to establish what is the most common
· On the putting, I have had to turn off Loft at Address and at impact as these kept coming up as an alert for example 15 degree down at address and 13 at impact, after 70 putts with them coming up on each putt I decided to ignore it.

Hope you can help it’s a great product but I am a little confused with all the data at the moment

[/quote]

I think the website is still very much 'under development' and hasn't got too many features yet. It is nice to see trends but it doesn't offer much beyond that yet.

With respect to the alert for your putting. Are you sure you are not delofting your putter at address and impact? It could be a sign of a systematic problem with your putting setup. Try to putt with the putter shaft straight up (so no delofting) and see what the SkyPro comes up with. Best have a friend look at your putting stroke and have him check whether you deloft your putter.

[quote name='ACP' timestamp='1396452876' post='9002991']

·

[/quote]

Hello ACP and welcome

I presume your PC settings refer to the SkyPro Dash Board, since SkyPro needs IOS 6 or 7 to run.

Your km/h versus MPH are probably due to a regional setting. I am registered in Germany but still show MPH on the dash board. Make sure your settings/profile are correct.

EDIT: See post #859 for explanation of how to do this.

Not sure what causes your random display of swings in Dash Board. Possibly you have selected a Group, or a particular Club (driver, etc.) rather than all swings.

As ParHunter has said, the Dash Board is in development and has limited functionality.

Have to say the putting app has been worth the money alone for me. When I first got it my numbers were all over the place...one putt could be 2.5 open and the next 1.2 closed. I am now consistently putting at around a 0.3 degree deviation from address. Really good product :)

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

[quote name='games' timestamp='1396525533' post='9009595']
The last time this question was asked was June 28, 2013, so it's been over nine months, and the website is not definitive: When will this be available to Android users?
[/quote]

There was a reply from GParke a while back, where Gord explained that the development team had taken on a new programmer just to deal with the Android Port. Gord estimated Summer 2014 for release of this app. I can't find the post at present, but you could PM Gord and ask if there is any update on the release. There is obviously a big market/demand for an Android app.

Be aware that there are many variants of Android phones and tablets and not all will work with the SkyPro as the app needs the phone/tablet to have a gyroscope built in. Most of the higher end smart phones & tablets should be OK though.

BHB1

I think if Angle of Attack and Path numbers were built into this device it would be the market leader by some distance. Even if it was bundled into something like a pay for Skypro+ App so it didn't confuse the obviously basic set up for most people.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

• 2 weeks later...