SkyPro - really impressive

Parhunter - Could you post up some screen-shots of a swing? I would be careful about getting steeper for steepers sake. I think a change in verbiage from steeper to "on plane" or something might be a better way to look at it. I personally found Monte's new wedge swing video to be invaluable, as he busted so many myths, and really gives you a framework to build a tight, short, on-plane swing with great impact parameters. He openly admits in the video that these principles are the same in longer swings, just with a bit more turn.

With all of that being said, I don't see how your swing could be too flat without being too inside at the same time. If that thesis is true, then you might want to be looking at "Takeaway angle @ Half-Back", and "shaft direction @ top", shooting for 0 on takeaway angle, and 0 to outside @ top.

Also, I got one of these. It allows you to clip your iphone to an alignment rod. I like to put the alignment rod in the ground so I can see the SkyPro screen, and use focus mode to watch this stuff rather than "Groove" mode. Groove mode seemed like a cool idea, but I don't like having to stop and reset everything after 10 swings. This thing is called the "ProtoSports Holster", and I picked one up at the local golf store for around 16$. Obviously perfect for taking swing video as well.

208x208px-LL-b2cc7a29_481934_435675673139656_1078039434_n.jpeg

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TravAz,

The changes have been suggested by my coach. We used the SkyPro during the lesson as well.

These are screenshots from the beginning of the lesson:
[attachment=2182091:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1397892264.926092.jpg][attachment=2182093:ImageUploaddeByGolfWRX Mobile1397892285.742123.jpg]

And this is a practise swing at the end:[attachment=2182097:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1397892441.503608.jpg]
[attachment=2182095:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1397892420.104338.jpg]

I have some suggestion for the app aswell as the clubsg website where you are supposed to be able to view all of the stats from the app.
These change mostly deal with the Pro Data table and filtering.

The changes I would like to see are filterting in the Pro Data table mode similar to the ones in swing mode.
I want to see all the stats for different clubs side by side to easily see if there are any extravagant differences between swings.

I can only view these stats by filtering for example my driver swings and then having to select the new swing every time and remeber the numbers from the one before as of now.

These changes and stats also have to appear on the website which at the moment is basicly useless since it hasn't been updated accordingly to match the new version of the app.

Sincerly
Skizzo87

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='genemcg' timestamp='1400109965' post='9296931']
Look what happened to mine today. I know others have had this problem but was hoping I wouldn't. Any advice?
[/quote]

Well known problem with early production units. Contact the manufacturer and they should replace it FOC. If any difficulty, PM Gord who can help expedite the replacement.

BHB1

I have been using the new app (just for putting at the moment) and I am having a few issues:[list=1]
[*]Intermittent application crashes following a calibration (same as the issue I raised before)
[*]The new club specification option is not working (the changes made are not being saved by the application and the default values always show on screen)
[*]Text and icon sizes are too small on my iPad mini retna (Is using relative font sizes (dynamic type) or conforming to apple's accessibility framework a possibility)
[/list]
I know this is difficult work and you guys are doing your best but if I had the option I would roll back to the last version. I would also advise current iPad mini users to hold off on the upgrade for a while.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1401979350' post='9435379']
I didn't even know that there is an iPad version out. Does the iPad version offer anything the iPhone version doesn't have? E.g. Focus mode and swing view shown together?
[/quote]

The iPad version is new but it is exactly the same as the iPhone version, nothing extra. The older iPad version worked as a x2 version of the iPhone app which made things easy to see and use. This is now gone (at the minute) making the controls and text a bit small for my old eyesight.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning jpt1101,

My name is Adam, I work with Gord (gparke) and am one of the other developers on the SkyPro project. I wanted to shed some light on the Battery Life Indicator in question. When we updated the SkyPro app UI for iOS7 we made some upgrades to the battery indicator in an attempt to improve application usability and increase efficiency.

Let me begin by outlining where we saw some problems. Firstly, the battery indicator in it's pre-iOS7 state only displayed one thing to us; the current level of battery remaining in the SkyPro device. Even at that it wasn't doing a great job. Secondly, and more importantly, you couldn't see your Battery status without interacting with the app directly. ie. you had to tap the Device icon in the top right part of the screen, which would take you away from your 3D Swing view and into another side view. Once you were able to see how much battery remained, you had to head back into the 3D Swing view. While seemingly simple, a cumbersome task if you are out on the range taking swings, with a golf glove on, getting in the groove. This wasn't ideal, and we wanted to present this information to you in a more direct way. We knew that putting the battery indicator on the main 3D Swing screen was a must.

As we began brainstorming about this change, we also realized there was some other vital information that should be displayed. “Is a SkyPro even connected?” “If so, is it calibrated?” “And if it's calibrated, what club is it calibrated to?” We wanted a way to present all this information in one quick glance to the user, without any interaction, and without using up the entire screen real estate. This is what we came up with:

The new "Device Indicator" is located in the top right of the main 3D Swing Mode, and looks like this:

help_battery0@2x.png

There are a couple things going on here in this icon:

• First, we have the Bluetooth symbol in the middle, which in this case is illuminated. Because it’s illuminated we know that a SkyPro device is currently connected to the application.
  • Second, we have a fully illuminated circle surrounding the Bluetooth symbol. This circle is actually the battery indicator. Imagine the circle is like a glass of water, where the battery level is represented by how full the glass is. In the screen above, the glass is full, therefore the SkyPro that is currently connected is fully charged.

Let’s take a look at some other states of the Device Indicator.

Here we can see that a SkyPro is connected, and the SkyPro is nearly fully charged:

help_battery1@2x.png

Here we can see that a SkyPro is connected, but the SkyPro is nearly empty:

help_battery2@2x.png

In this case no SkyPro is connected (Bluetooth symbol is dim) and therefore there is no battery status to report on:

help_battery4@2x.png

What about Calibration status? When a SkyPro is connected AND calibrated, we wanted to show you what club you were currently calibrated to. In this case, we replace the Bluetooth symbol with the currently calibrated club. At a quick glance you can easily see which club your SkyPro is calibrated to:

help_battery5@2x.png

With the new “Device Indicator” you are now able to answer all four of the following questions in one quick glance, with no user interaction of the app, or interruption to your swing:

• “Is a SkyPro currently connected?”,
  • “If so, what is it’s battery level?”,
  • “Is the SkyPro currently calibrated?” and
  • “If it is calibrated, what club is it calibrated to?”

Thanks for the question jpt1101. If anyone has any more thoughts or ideas, please let us know. We are always working to improve the app!

Thanks!

-Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gord & Adam,

Linked to the comment above regarding the pro's swings, it would be nice if we could access these directly. I now have nearly 1.500 swings and I need to do some scrolling in order to find back those swings.

Also, I would really like to see - in addition to video - swing path @ impact (in-to-in, out-to-in, etc.)
Do you think you could give us some insights on new releases and functions?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Cheers,

_Fred_

[quote name='_Fred_' timestamp='1404664721' post='9646377']
Hi Gord & Adam,

Linked to the comment above regarding the pro's swings, it would be nice if we could access these directly. I now have nearly 1.500 swings and I need to do some scrolling in order to find back those swings.

Also, I would really like to see - in addition to video - swing path @ impact (in-to-in, out-to-in, etc.)
Do you think you could give us some insights on new releases and functions?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Cheers,

_Fred_
[/quote]

You can. If you search for swings you can filter on imported swings. Just swipe up to get the list of swings. Tap on the search icon and tick 'I imported swings'

I am thiking about getting either this or the swingbyte 2. Most of the reviews I have found seem to be from last year. From what I have seen the swingbyte 2 still has more data but slips on the club and breaks oftens. The skypro seems to have a lack of data but does not break nearly as easily and is perhaps getting better in the data dept...any advice on where these two sit today.

I have been very happy with my SkyCaddie GPS :)

[quote name='mandelbloom' timestamp='1404692528' post='9648695']
I am thiking about getting either this or the swingbyte 2. Most of the reviews I have found seem to be from last year. From what I have seen the swingbyte 2 still has more data but slips on the club and breaks oftens. The skypro seems to have a lack of data but does not break nearly as easily and is perhaps getting better in the data dept...any advice on where these two sit today.

I have been very happy with my SkyCaddie GPS :)
[/quote]
I've went from the SwingByte (one) to the SkyPro as I didn't trust the data I was given. I don't think it was just a dodgy device as I went through 3 of them ;-)
I haven't used the SwingByte in a while so I don't know if software updates have improved the accuracy.

The problem with the SwingByte is that it relies on being aligned correctly. However you won't be able to do it 100%. The SkyPro has the advantage that you 'calibrate' it before you use a club. What the SkyPro does not know is the target line though. Swingbyte implemented something but I haven't tried it yet.

The problem with data at impact is that it is very hard to get right. The clubface closes by something like 2000 degrees per second around impact (if I remember correctly). And what really counts is the clubfaces at maximum point of compression of the ball. So just getting the point in time right to take the measurement is already very difficult.
It takes a while for the impact 'shock' to travel up the shaft and reach the device. The impact generates a lot of vibrations which are basically 'noise' to the device, it can't take a reliable measurement at that point (and that is a problem both devices have). Another problem is that off-center hits cause the clubface to open/close. So even if you get a number you won't know whether this was changed due to an off centre hit.

I rather have less data but accurate one then data for everything which I can't trust.