2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

LIVE Q&A w/ NIKE GOLF - Feb 7, 2013 - Read the Transcripts

[quote name='JonP' timestamp='1360258959' post='6381641']
Other then the adjustablity factor; what is the difference between the tour and regular fairway woods.
[/quote]

TD: "The VR_S Covert Tour which has the FlexLoft, has a deeper face, similar to the driver. Black PVD finish. Flight, while very easy to get in the air, is a bit lower launch than the VR_S Covert and generate less spin. The VR_S Covert is a shallower face and a deeper breadth."

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scrub24' timestamp='1360260819' post='6381915']
Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to be here.

Really looking forward to hitting the covert and covert tour tomorrow.

My question is are there any plans to show the custom shaft options available for the Covert and Covert tour on the Nike Golf website?

Thanks again.

Tim
[/quote]

TD: "I understand the website is up and running again. [size=4]We just migrated our website from a standalone to Nike Inc’s. While it is up, expect LOTS of exciting changes and new features to come in the very near future."[/size]

[quote name='Noall' timestamp='1360261616' post='6382027']
I ordered my Covert Drive with a custom shaft. I hook a regular shaft so I ordered a stiff. I can mishit hit a stiff where by ball flight is a little low and to the right...any suggestions if that happens? How will the loft and face angle help? Sometimes low spin doesn't get the ball in the air enough. My hope is the stiff will allow me to take a more agressive swing than I can take with a regular and generate more club head speed. A custom clubfitter recommended a stiff after fitting me on Trackman... Please advise....
[/quote]

[size=4]TD: "[color="#000000"]The best recommendation we can make is to visit an experienced clubfitter who’ll assist you in dialing-in your Covert driver to the optimum setting for you. The great feature of FlexLoft is the ability to adjust and re-adjust loft and face angle in fifteen different combinations."[/color][/size]

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360278857' post='6384105']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1360261463' post='6382015']
When you say Tiger is testing the Covert, is he testing an adjustable hosel or did you guys produce a glued version for him? I've noticed he hasn't used any adjustable hosels. Thanks!!
[/quote]

TD: "FLEXLOFT"
[/quote]

Wow, I know many of us will be shocked if you can get TW into the Covert Tour.

[quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1360262064' post='6382097']
First off, thanks for coming on here to speak with all of us passionate gear heads......

1-The feel of the covert is unlike anything I have hit before. Can you explain how the cavity gives it the softer solid feel?
2-Can you discuss how the stock shaft was chosen for the heads?

Thanks
[/quote]

[size=4]RB: The cavity wall ties the crown and the sole together structurally, which eliminates a lot of the vibration that creates varying sounds in a golf club."[/size]

You guys are back? Oh so sweet. Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to continue the answering. I've learned more in this thread about Nike Golf than I have ever known (and that's not a bad thing) :thumbsup:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='BC33' timestamp='1360262895' post='6382225']
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Nike made an agressive off season signing of established stars (Watney, McIlroy, Stanley) and up and coming staffers. I would like to commend the re-addition of former staffer David Duval. My question, with currently having the world #1 and #2 players in your stable, do you feel that you will be able to lay claim to the golfing public and become the brand of choice, similar to what Nike has done in other sports?

There has been a hesitancy within on-line communities, unfairly so, that Nike product is viewed as inferior. I still occasionally bag the SQ Tour and have gamed the original Pro Combo's and play the 20X1 S ball and know that Nike Golf means quality and excellent product.
[/quote]

[size=4]TD: "Nike does not get into any sport without the goal of being #1![/size]

[quote name='ipak17' timestamp='1360264209' post='6382409']
Robert, Tony, or Gidge,

Do you guys have a baseline spec for head weight for the Covert and Covert Tour driver heads? I'm curious because it seems that the Nike Vr Pro model seemed to have a slightly heavier factory head weight than say Taylormade heads or Titleist 910 heads.

Thanks for taking time to help us out!
[/quote]

TD: "Let me add a little more clarity to the answers already given by some very qualified posters...[size=4]The heads are 194g as you would weigh it on the scale. When the shaft adaptor tip is part of it, it is 204g. So effectively 204g[/size]."

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360264835' post='6382517']
Any plans to offer any collaboration between Nike and Jordan Brand to make a line for golfers? I would love to see some Retro XI or Retro V with spikes on them :)
[/quote]

TD: "You never know! We have an incredible product creation team for footwear and I wouldn't put anything past them. Who would have thought we would bring out the Dunks a year ago?"

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1360060634' post='6365867']
First off, being a Nike fan, I'm greatful that Nike comes to Guam for demo days (the only golf manufacturer to come out here)! I'm looking forward to it in a couple of weeks.

1. With all the restrictions the USGA is putting on equipment, do you see yourselves offering non conforming equipment for the weekend golfer? If so, do you think you would produce equipment with specs that would outperform the clubs of today? I know it would make the game much more enjoyable for the average Joe (and not the GolfWRX average Joe).

2. What is the COR rating of the Covert drivers and FWs? I haven't seen anything with a specific number? Is there a reason this info isn't made public?
[/quote]

Anyone from Nike care to answer these, especially #2?

WITB Link

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360279803' post='6384193']
Any plans to offer any collaboration between Nike and Jordan Brand to make a line for golfers? I would love to see some Retro XI or Retro V with spikes on them :)
[/quote]

TD: "You never know! We have an incredible product creation team for footwear and I wouldn't put anything past them. Who would have thought we would bring out the Dunks a year ago?"
[/quote]

I would love to see what a Jordan/ TW shoe would look like...

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360266891' post='6382779']
[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360265879' post='6382665']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360092114' post='6368039']
Can you please reconsider bumping the release date up for your new forged wedges that are coming out? Those things are beautiful!!!!
[/quote]

TD: "Really, Money...how many golf clubs can one man buy in a given season (of course, we all love you for it!)"
[/quote]

Lol. I buy clubs all year round. This year there will be a lot more Nike products purchased for me though...
[/quote]

TD: "We truly appreciate the support both in the bag and your fandom of the brand!"

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1360269374' post='6383071']
[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1360113237' post='6369909']
I was lucky enough to be a part of the 2013 20XI and 20XI-X preview for GolfWRX. I have played the original 20XI-X for about a year, played the Tour One D before that, and began my Nike Golf experience with the One Black. I have always found your premium low spin ball to be a great fit for my game, so thank you for helping me beat out my buddies a few more times and lowering my handicap.

I would like to know the thought process behind Nike's unique dimple pattern. With my eyes it seems like there is a pretty strong variation of dimple size an pattern on the X models. When comparing to competitors it is at the very least unique. How does the design of Nike change preformance?

Thanks,

Adam
[/quote]

I guess no questions about balls
[/quote]

TD: "While I know just enough about our ball tech to be dangerous, I have asked Mark Alan, our golf ball product director, to cruise through all of the questions and we will post ball answers on this string very soon."

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360280235' post='6384241']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure what a Jordan/TW shoe would look like, but Jordan brand has been making Jordan golf cleats for His Airness and friends...

WITB Link

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1360280571' post='6384273']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure what a Jordan/TW shoe would look like, but Jordan brand has been making Jordan golf cleats for His Airness and friends...
[/quote]

@the Nike crew

Please release stuff like this for the general public! I'd be all over the XII's.

WITB Link

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1360272863' post='6383447']
[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360267320' post='6382837']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1360197520' post='6376649']
Do you feel snubbed by GOLF DIGEST and the HOT LIST? It seems as if the members on WRX are excited about your product than the magazine... How much weight do you put into their feedback?
[/quote]
TD: "We have tons of respect for the process and objectivity that goes into the Hot List. The relentless work they do for their readership is commendable. “Snubbed” is not an accurate term as we received gold medals for both drivers. On the other hand, we feel this is by far the most innovative product that has come out in many years, let alone this one."
[/quote]

Golf Digest Hot List is a joke in my opinion. We should match their list with the amount of advertising dollars spent with their magazine. I'd bet there's a strong correlation!
[/quote]

TD: "Now, now...while I understand the hostility, this is simply not true. As an OEM who hasn't exactly got the best shake over the years, I can u[size=4]nequivocally tell you guys that the process is pure and we are comfortably that the advertising and editorial is completely split."[/size]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OMG...If it happens, I will be decked out head to toenails with that! Absolutely love Jordan Brand!

If you could pass a little note to them...could you ask them to not make any of the Retro releases so limited? LOL...I waited...yes waited...for the Retro XI Breds to drop online and were sold out within 2 seconds. And the XI (especially Space Jams) have been a Holy Grail of mines.

Thanks again!

Would love to see the Jumpman symbol mixed in or incorporated with TW...maybe make a Jumpman/Tiger Swing hybrid?

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I literally passed out from the awesomeness! OMG...PLEASE DO THESE AND MAKE THEM FOR US MORTALS!!!!! Requesting the following especially: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. :)

Edit: Please add the Air Max 90's, Air max 95s to the special request! Especially if you can get them in the specialty colorways (DQM Bacons, Infrareds...drool). Love the Dunks by the way, especially having been a collector of them :)

THANKS!!

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1360279883' post='6384201']
[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1360060634' post='6365867']
First off, being a Nike fan, I'm greatful that Nike comes to Guam for demo days (the only golf manufacturer to come out here)! I'm looking forward to it in a couple of weeks.

1. With all the restrictions the USGA is putting on equipment, do you see yourselves offering non conforming equipment for the weekend golfer? If so, do you think you would produce equipment with specs that would outperform the clubs of today? I know it would make the game much more enjoyable for the average Joe (and not the GolfWRX average Joe).

2. What is the COR rating of the Covert drivers and FWs? I haven't seen anything with a specific number? Is there a reason this info isn't made public?
[/quote]

Anyone from Nike care to answer these, especially #2?
[/quote]

TD: "The COR rating on the drivers, like most drivers in the industry, is at the limit for the USGA. The FW's certainly approach the limit and are as hot as anything we have tested. Definitely worth being categorized in the "Distance Fairway Wood" segment of the market."

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

TD: "Me too...I understand many of you guys call yourself "club ho's", I am the sneaker equivalent!"

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360281251' post='6384333']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I literally passed out from the awesomeness! OMG...PLEASE DO THESE AND MAKE THEM FOR US MORTALS!!!!! Requesting the following especially: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. :)

Edit: Please add the Air Max 90's, Air max 95s to the special request! Especially if you can get them in the specialty colorways (DQM Bacons, Infrareds...drool). Love the Dunks by the way, especially having been a collector of them :)

THANKS!!
[/quote]

TD: "Your insights have been passed on the the footwear team."

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360282096' post='6384415']

TD: "Me too...I understand many of you guys call yourself "club ho's", I am the sneaker equivalent!"
[/quote]

A sneaker ho is worse...at least we can sell a club after we buy it. I'd imagine a used sneaker is worth significantly less than what you paid for it...

[sub]TD: "I think that pretty well cleans up all of the questions asked. Some of the questions were duplicates that were answered earlier in the string, so we tried to answer each question only once. I will monitor the string for a couple more days and answer anymore if possible. Also, we will answer the ball questions in the next few day as well.[/sub]

[sub]Thanks again for all of the great questions, insights, and general feedback. Your banter and thoughts on the game are vital for us and rest assured we try our best to keep track and incorporate your ideas into products and programs where possible. Believe it or not, we even listen the the Nike haters...yeah we know your out there, but we also know there are alot less of you this year than ever before![/sub]

[sub]Thanks and until next time![/sub]

[sub]Tony"[/sub]

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360280527' post='6384269']
[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1360269374' post='6383071']
[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1360113237' post='6369909']
I was lucky enough to be a part of the 2013 20XI and 20XI-X preview for GolfWRX. I have played the original 20XI-X for about a year, played the Tour One D before that, and began my Nike Golf experience with the One Black. I have always found your premium low spin ball to be a great fit for my game, so thank you for helping me beat out my buddies a few more times and lowering my handicap.

I would like to know the thought process behind Nike's unique dimple pattern. With my eyes it seems like there is a pretty strong variation of dimple size an pattern on the X models. When comparing to competitors it is at the very least unique. How does the design of Nike change preformance?

Thanks,

Adam
[/quote]

I guess no questions about balls
[/quote]

TD: "While I know just enough about our ball tech to be dangerous, I have asked Mark Alan, our golf ball product director, to cruise through all of the questions and we will post ball answers on this string very soon."
[/quote]

Awesome. I couldn't be a bigger fan of Nike balls.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thank you for your time NIKE!!!!

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360282637' post='6384477']
[sub]TD: "I think that pretty well cleans up all of the questions asked. Some of the questions were duplicates that were answered earlier in the string, so we tried to answer each question only once. I will monitor the string for a couple more days and answer anymore if possible. Also, we will answer the ball questions in the next few day as well.[/sub]

[sub]Thanks again for all of the great questions, insights, and general feedback. Your banter and thoughts on the game are vital for us and rest assured we try our best to keep track and incorporate your ideas into products and programs where possible. Believe it or not, we even listen the the Nike haters...yeah we know your out there, but we also know there are alot less of you this year than ever before![/sub]

[sub]Thanks and until next time![/sub]

[sub]Tony"[/sub]
[/quote]

Thank you guys for your time today! It was much appreciated!