2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

LIVE Q&A w/ NIKE GOLF - Feb 7, 2013 - Read the Transcripts

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360282637' post='6384477']
[sub]TD: "I think that pretty well cleans up all of the questions asked. Some of the questions were duplicates that were answered earlier in the string, so we tried to answer each question only once. I will monitor the string for a couple more days and answer anymore if possible. Also, we will answer the ball questions in the next few day as well.[/sub]

[sub]Thanks again for all of the great questions, insights, and general feedback. Your banter and thoughts on the game are vital for us and rest assured we try our best to keep track and incorporate your ideas into products and programs where possible. Believe it or not, we even listen the the Nike haters...yeah we know your out there, but we also know there are alot less of you this year than ever before![/sub]

[sub]Thanks and until next time![/sub]

[sub]Tony"[/sub]
[/quote]

Thanks for the time today and this evening.

If you happen to swing back through, are the fairway woods going to offer a more penetrating ball flight or will they be something that jumps off the deck?

Thanks again!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360282228' post='6384423']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360281251' post='6384333']
[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1360280571' post='6384273']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360280235' post='6384241']
[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360279803' post='6384193']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360264835' post='6382517']
Any plans to offer any collaboration between Nike and Jordan Brand to make a line for golfers? I would love to see some Retro XI or Retro V with spikes on them :)
[/quote]

TD: "You never know! We have an incredible product creation team for footwear and I wouldn't put anything past them. Who would have thought we would bring out the Dunks a year ago?"
[/quote]

I would love to see what a Jordan/ TW shoe would look like...
[/quote]

Not sure what a Jordan/TW shoe would look like, but Jordan brand has been making Jordan golf cleats for His Airness and friends...
[/quote]

I literally passed out from the awesomeness! OMG...PLEASE DO THESE AND MAKE THEM FOR US MORTALS!!!!! Requesting the following especially: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. :)

Edit: Please add the Air Max 90's, Air max 95s to the special request! Especially if you can get them in the specialty colorways (DQM Bacons, Infrareds...drool). Love the Dunks by the way, especially having been a collector of them :)

THANKS!!
[/quote]

TD: "Your insights have been passed on the the footwear team."
[/quote]

YESSSSSSSSS!!! Thank you again for your time and this has been an awesome Q&A Session!!! :)

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='blblco02' timestamp='1360291292' post='6385307']
Maybe, but it might bring more people to the game of golf which would be a positive thing...
[/quote]

Trust me, most those people in that scene don't care about anything golf. Good for the business, yes. Bad for people who actually want the shoes and will play in them.

[quote name='j2_a2' timestamp='1360290383' post='6385215']
Seeing some Air Jordan shoes turned into golf shoes for consumers would be cool, but that would bring all the "sneakerhead" hype along with it.
[/quote]

I think it would be just for a niche market. It would have hype, but not the hypebeast we're used to seeing with regular general releases for the Retro's.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360294081' post='6385603']
Seeing some Air Jordan shoes turned into golf shoes for consumers would be cool, but that would bring all the "sneakerhead" hype along with it.
[/quote]

I think it would be just for a niche market. It would have hype, but not the hypebeast we're used to seeing with regular general releases for the Retro's.
[/quote]

Maybe, I just can't see it that way because of how that scene is now. It's pretty cutthroat than what it used to be. I actually sold some of my collection to buy the clubs I currently have in my bag, and considering selling more to get the Covert and my a set of VRS forged irons :lol:
Like I posted earlier though, it would be cool to see some of those shoes converted to golf shoes for the public. I would love to see how the AJ XIII and AJ XII would turn out.

[quote name='j2_a2' timestamp='1360295177' post='6385707']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360294081' post='6385603']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe, I just can't see it that way because of how that scene is now. It's pretty cutthroat than what it used to be. I actually sold some of my collection to buy the clubs I currently have in my bag, and considering selling more to get the Covert and my a set of VRS forged irons :lol:
Like I posted earlier though, it would be cool to see some of those shoes converted to golf shoes for the public. I would love to see how the AJ XIII and AJ XII would turn out.
[/quote]

I agree with you that now its even gotten worse. The amount of hypebeast is ridiculous when anything retro is released. But again, because it'll have cleats, I doubt that it will have much hype and a lot of the golfing world wont even look at something like Jordan cleat, they would probably prefer something more traditional in looks.

Seeing some XIII or XII in the bred colorway would be amazing. Or some XIII's in the Altitude Green colorway.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

"TD: "Perfect case in point on the adjustable sleeve...Nike is located just outside of Portland, OR, of which is quite wet this time of year. My Covert driver is set at 11.5 while in Oregon. Trying to achieve max carry as every drive has -6” roll out. We had an opportunity to play in FL during PGA Show week, I was able to move the same driver to 9.5 to get more optimum launch conditions for a faster course. Best part is that I did that without changing my face angle!"

This is exactly why I'm looking forward to my Covert Performance arriving. I live about an hour south of Beaverton. It's been wet here too; with the Covert I can crank up the loft for more carry. Then, when I play in central Oregon where it's drier, or over at Bandon or the coast where it's windier, I can crank the loft down for more run or lower flight.

Nike, thanks for taking time to answer questions.

I got my Covert yesterday, stock length. I put it next to my 910D2, same length, maybe .25" longer, maybe. Its virtually the same length.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[sub]TD: "I think that pretty well cleans up[size=4][b] all [/b][/size]of the questions asked. Some of the questions were duplicates that were answered earlier in the string, so we tried to answer each question only once. I will monitor the string for a couple more days and answer anymore if possible. Also, we will answer the ball questions in the next few day as well.[/sub]

[sub]Thanks again for all of the great questions, insights, and general feedback. Your banter and thoughts on the game are vital for us and rest assured we try our best to keep track and incorporate your ideas into products and programs where possible. Believe it or not, we even listen the the Nike haters...yeah we know your out there, but we also know there are alot less of you this year than ever before![/sub]

[sub]Tony"[/sub]
[/quote]

Well....not ALL of the questions but close........... :)

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1360337914' post='6387945']
[sub]TD: "I think that pretty well cleans up[size=4][b] all [/b][/size]of the questions asked. Some of the questions were duplicates that were answered earlier in the string, so we tried to answer each question only once. I will monitor the string for a couple more days and answer anymore if possible. Also, we will answer the ball questions in the next few day as well.[/sub]

[sub]Tony"[/sub]
[/quote]

Well....not ALL of the questions but close........... :)
[/quote]

What did they miss? Maybe you could post the question, cause I'm sure they will be back.

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1360324300' post='6386777']
I got my Covert yesterday, stock length. I put it next to my 910D2, same length, maybe .25" longer, maybe. Its virtually the same length.
[/quote]

TD: "There is an unfortunate truth to the business that we have no industry wide standards for certain specifications. Evidently our measurement system must differ slightly from there's. What I can tell you is that every one of our drivers are 45.75" in stock length based on our measuring system."

If you all do a post Q&A:

1. I prefer the New Decade MC grip on my clubs but with the adjustable shafts, if you adjust, the grip rotates out of normal positions. Not really a question but more for R&D to work out in the future.

2. Late last year I bought a VR Tour 9.5* with a PX 6.5 shaft to replace my VR Tour 8.5* with PX 6.5 because I wanted a little higher flight & longer carry distance. Love them both and really have no reason to take the 9.5* out of the bag except that as of today, I am the proud owner of the VR_S Covert Tour with the KK Xflex shaft. I've played a couple rounds with the Demo model from my club (& love it!) but what specifically are the playing differences between the VR Tour & VR_S Covert Tour?

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360263201' post='6382259']
[quote name='Merle33' timestamp='1360038741' post='6365251']
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and educate us on your products. I've been a Nike fan for years and a staff professional as well. You've always made high quality equipment and its very exciting to see the innovation with the 2013 Covert line of equipment.

- With the Covert series being the first high speed cavity back design, and the FlexLoft system, how many years of R & D have been behind the release of these clubs?

- I've hit both the Covert Tour and Covert Performance heads, how difficult was it to dial in the acoustics of these heads with the cavity back design? The sounds at impact are very solid and much different (but better) than previous drivers.

- Approximately what difference in launch and spin rate should we expect from the Tour to the Performance head when hitting with the same shaft?

- Previous versions of adjustable hostel adapters achieved different lofts by rotating the shaft varying degrees up to 90* from its original position, to add or subtract 1-2* of loft. It appears with the FlexLoft system, the shaft is rotated a much smaller amount, but still resulting in a 1* change in loft. The face angle is then adjusted independently with a separate gear. Can you explain how the new FlexLoft tips allow us to adjust to 5 different loft settings?

Thanks, and I can't wait to have all the new equipment in my bag!!
[/quote]

RB: " 1) Tom Stites and the Long Term Research Team originally dreamed up and prototyped the first concept about 10 years ago. It was only in the past couple of years did mfg technology allow us to make it what it is today.

2) Acoustics are a challenge with all drivers since each of them is a distinct musical instrument. Fortunately with Finite Element Analysis FEA analysis we have the ability to predict sound and adjust prior to making a metal part, which speeds up the acoustic process by months, if not years!
3) About .75º LA and 300rpm in spin. (Golfer dependent)
4) Great question and you are VERY perceptive. We cannot tell you any more than it does exactly what we tell you it does. The “how” part cost us millions of dollars in research and is highly scientific, hence the information is proprietary."
[/quote]

Thanks again to Robert Boyd, Tony Dabbs, & Gidge Moody for answering all of our questions. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around exactly how the FlexLoft works, but I do believe you guys that it works! I'll have to inspect it further once I have on in my hands!!

Also, many thanks to everyone at GolfWRX for setting this up for all of us golf fanatics... Awesome job!

Very informative thread. Thanks NIKE and GOLFWRX!

If you do get back on here, convince me to cancel my order from PING on their new irons and go with your offerings, current or near future.

Also, which of the new balls plays as close as possible to the Tour D?

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

who one the drivers ? was it posted ?

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

As to length of drivers: I'm pretty sure that Nike measures beside the shaft, much like measuring a putter. Titleist measures under the shaft. This would get you 45.75 with Nike and 45 with Titleist. If you measure Nike "under" the shaft, it is 45.25.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1360436446' post='6395187']
As to length of drivers: I'm pretty sure that Nike measures beside the shaft, much like measuring a putter. Titleist measures under the shaft. This would get you 45.75 with Nike and 45 with Titleist. If you measure Nike "under" the shaft, it is 45.25.
[/quote]

Agreed. Double checked today and that's exactly what I got

We had the launch for the Covert line today. I sold two Performance models, one LH, one RH. Lots of interest and today, it outsold the R1 and the RFE.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Nike,

If you're still checking in... can you describe the differences between the new V3 and V4 Covert drivers compared to the V1/V2? Also, will the V3/V4 be available to the public?

Thanks!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1360777971' post='6421285']
Nike,

If you're still checking in... can you describe the differences between the new V3 and V4 Covert drivers compared to the V1/V2? Also, will the V3/V4 be available to the public?

Thanks!

--kC
[/quote]

+1

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1360780856' post='6421623']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1360777971' post='6421285']
Nike,

Thanks!

--kC
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

+2

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360261675' post='6382039']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360033775' post='6364799']
#1 Have you considered releasing a replica Tiger Woods/Rory McElroy LE 001/006 putter? Many of us would really like the exact same models they are playing.

#2 Will you please release a new MB blade that resembles the original swoosh blade? Nice and simple with no other markings beside the swoosh logo?

#3 Why have you not been able to get Tiger into the Covert Tour driver yet? Do you anticipate him switching to this before Augusta?

Thanks for coming on here to answer our questions, your new products that are being released are top tier and I cannot wait to play them!!
[/quote]

GM: "1. [b]Tiger’s model is currently available in the market; it is the Method Milled 001. This model was developed with Tiger several years ago before the original Method launch and remains in the market today so players can use the exact putter that Tiger plays.[/b] Rory has been using a silver version of the Method Midnight 006. The Midnight was just launched in the market last June."
GM: "2. The current VR Pro blade was built and designed with Tiger and has become a very solid staple design for a large number of our tour athletes including Rory. It is a very clean blade that again is the exact shape that our tour players are using."

GM: "3. Tiger has been testing the Covert Driver a lot the past few weeks. As with any conversion it is a process. When he is ready he will put it in play."
[/quote]
Why lie?
Isn't it pretty well known that the 001 isn't exactly like Tiger's?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1360789436' post='6422691']
[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360261675' post='6382039']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360033775' post='6364799']
#1 Have you considered releasing a replica Tiger Woods/Rory McElroy LE 001/006 putter? Many of us would really like the exact same models they are playing.

#2 Will you please release a new MB blade that resembles the original swoosh blade? Nice and simple with no other markings beside the swoosh logo?

#3 Why have you not been able to get Tiger into the Covert Tour driver yet? Do you anticipate him switching to this before Augusta?

Thanks for coming on here to answer our questions, your new products that are being released are top tier and I cannot wait to play them!!
[/quote]

GM: "1. [b]Tiger’s model is currently available in the market; it is the Method Milled 001. This model was developed with Tiger several years ago before the original Method launch and remains in the market today so players can use the exact putter that Tiger plays.[/b] Rory has been using a silver version of the Method Midnight 006. The Midnight was just launched in the market last June."
GM: "2. The current VR Pro blade was built and designed with Tiger and has become a very solid staple design for a large number of our tour athletes including Rory. It is a very clean blade that again is the exact shape that our tour players are using."

GM: "3. Tiger has been testing the Covert Driver a lot the past few weeks. As with any conversion it is a process. When he is ready he will put it in play."
[/quote]
Why lie?
Isn't it pretty well known that the 001 isn't exactly like Tiger's?
[/quote]

Typical stock answer from a oem...

He easily could have used language to skate the truth that it isn't EXACTLY the same. Instead, it is a blatant lie.
Don't come on to a place that has pictures of Tiger's putter IN-HAND and stock 001s and say it is the EXACT putter.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5