2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

LIVE Q&A w/ NIKE GOLF - Feb 7, 2013 - Read the Transcripts

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BILLYMALOOLY' timestamp='1360033200' post='6364727']
1- Ok cavity back looks awesome bye the way but why did it take so long for you to try this concept ?

2 - is it lower spin then last years driver ?

3- the new line looks amazing from woods to wedges congrats
[/quote]

RB: "Thanks for the compliments! We love it too! The concept has been around for quite some time, but sometimes it takes time for manufacturing methods and materials to catch up to innovation!
If VR_S is the baseline, the new VR_S Covert Tour version spins similarly, the VR_S Covert slightly more. Similar to VR_S."

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to be here.

Really looking forward to hitting the covert and covert tour tomorrow.

My question is are there any plans to show the custom shaft options available for the Covert and Covert tour on the Nike Golf website?

Thanks again.

Tim

WITB 2015
Driver -Cleveland Classic 290 T Stamp - B'Asha 5 x
3 Deep 14.5 Fuel 70X
Mizuno MP H4 2 Iron - X100
4 -UW Ping I20 green X100
Ping Gorge 54,58 Green s300
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 - Studio Stainless

When will the web be up and running?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360033469' post='6364761']
With many people who have hit the Covert drivers, the initial review is that both are low spin heads, especially the tour version. With many WRX'ers getting lower spin than usual, do you recommend or expect golfers to go with a much higher launch/spin shaft to counter the lower spin characteristics of the Covert driver heads? Was there initial design prototypes to incorporate the Compression Channel as well as the Cavity back design? Final question, most retailers I contacted concerning swing weight stated that Nike would not take requests of swing weight. Why is this an issue with the Covert driver series?

Thank you Nike Golf and WRX for the opportunity!
[/quote][quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1360033469' post='6364761']
With many people who have hit the Covert drivers, the initial review is that both are low spin heads, especially the tour version. With many WRX'ers getting lower spin than usual, do you recommend or expect golfers to go with a much higher launch/spin shaft to counter the lower spin characteristics of the Covert driver heads? Was there initial design prototypes to incorporate the Compression Channel as well as the Cavity back design? Final question, most retailers I contacted concerning swing weight stated that Nike would not take requests of swing weight. Why is this an issue with the Covert driver series?

Thank you Nike Golf and WRX for the opportunity!
[/quote]

TD: "Both heads are definitely on the low spin side of the spectrum. Our research shows that most amateurs create more spin than they need in their golf swing due to various reasons, but most notably steeper angle of attack. Less spin is a great feature for the majority of players. For tour, our stance is that it is a lot easier to add spin than reduce it through shaft manipulation, loft, etc. Lots of ideas were considered throughout the process, channel included."

PH: "We take swingweight requests and we'll hit them whenever possible, but we can't guarantee we can hit a swingweight as there are a multitude of component variables (length, shaft weight, shaft, balance point, grip weight, etc.) that cannot always be offset with the range of headweight control available. In the VR_S Covert drivers, we control headweight through the use of Hot Melt. As a general rule we use between 2 and 6 grams of hot melt to control headweight, however, we'll use up to 10 grams if required to hit a requested swingweight with a warning to the consumer that, beyond 6 grams, the impact sound will become increasingly muted."

Can you discuss the differences between the one rzn's and the new 20xi's? I am a club professional and am planning on really urging my customers to try these balls out (especially the rzn at the lower price point) and when I tried all four, I thought that the rzn was just about as good as the 20xi. So maybe a breakdown of spin/swingspeed that each ball is designed for...

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1360033645' post='6364783']
There have been claims on this board by very respected members that it is impossible to create an adjustable hosel that changes loft without changing the face angle. How were you able to achieve this in the Covert?
[/quote]

RB: "You have to remember that people are thinking of adjustability from the previous adjustability systems of both competitors and our previous versions of STR8-Fit and these are single axis of influence systems. Flex-Loft is a “Dual Axis System”. Each of the independent adjustment components are both on an off-axis and that give us an articulated joint (an knuckle joint) at that location. We can tilt one way with one of the axis and in part rotate the other axis to take out that un-desired movement. No way can this be done with a simple single off axis. That is why Taylor Made has the adjustable sole bump to help take out that undesirable movement and influence the movement they want. This works great on the carpet floor of your local golf store but equal accuracy on the course with irregular grass is not so good. Dual axis with this articulated joint presents the face without the need of soling influence. It is just as if it was a glued club to that spec."

RB: "(An illustration that might be good to describe this dual axis principal is to take your hand and point your index finger straight out, now tilt this finger down part way and lets call this angle of the finger loft. Now maintaining that finger angle rotate your wrist and that finger or face angle does not change but the plane of the angle tilt does change.)"

[quote name='drifter12' timestamp='1360033717' post='6364787']
its great to see nike golf doing a Q&A for us also!

you guys signing Rory is quite the coup- exciting and I know a lot of us will be looking closely at what the swoosh brings out for us during the year! here's my question: the cavity back is not something we see from any other OEMs right now with the big stick, what benefits in particular should golfers expect to see with the cavity back covert driver over other driver offerings from other brands? thanks!!
[/quote]

TD: "The High Speed Cavity Back does 2 distinct things: Spread weight to the heel and toe, making the club more forgiving, hence increasing MOI. Off Center hits will be hotter. Secondly, the cavity moves weight forward without reducing the MOI, which allows for a lower spinning clubhead. Therefore, a low spinning, high MOI club is the result!"

[quote name='huskerpower_105' timestamp='1360033741' post='6364793']
1. with your new flex loft system you claim to have independent control over low and face angle. most of us here understand how these shaft sleeves work in combination with the sole of the club. does the cavity have an effect on the change of loft not affecting face angle or is it the design of the sole.
2. in regard to the cavity- is this why the drivers seem to have such low spin since the COG is so much closer to the face and i would assume higher than traditional drivers
[/quote]

TD: "1. The cavity has no effect on how the FlexLoft system works. 2. The COG is not as high as you might think and the fact it is closer to the face reduces spin."

When you say Tiger is testing the Covert, is he testing an adjustable hosel or did you guys produce a glued version for him? I've noticed he hasn't used any adjustable hosels. Thanks!!

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I ordered my Covert Drive with a custom shaft. I hook a regular shaft so I ordered a stiff. I can mishit hit a stiff where by ball flight is a little low and to the right...any suggestions if that happens? How will the loft and face angle help? Sometimes low spin doesn't get the ball in the air enough. My hope is the stiff will allow me to take a more agressive swing than I can take with a regular and generate more club head speed. A custom clubfitter recommended a stiff after fitting me on Trackman... Please advise....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360033775' post='6364799']
#1 Have you considered releasing a replica Tiger Woods/Rory McElroy LE 001/006 putter? Many of us would really like the exact same models they are playing.

#2 Will you please release a new MB blade that resembles the original swoosh blade? Nice and simple with no other markings beside the swoosh logo?

#3 Why have you not been able to get Tiger into the Covert Tour driver yet? Do you anticipate him switching to this before Augusta?

Thanks for coming on here to answer our questions, your new products that are being released are top tier and I cannot wait to play them!!
[/quote]

GM: "1. Tiger’s model is currently available in the market; it is the Method Milled 001. This model was developed with Tiger several years ago before the original Method launch and remains in the market today so players can use the exact putter that Tiger plays. Rory has been using a silver version of the Method Midnight 006. The Midnight was just launched in the market last June."
GM: "2. The current VR Pro blade was built and designed with Tiger and has become a very solid staple design for a large number of our tour athletes including Rory. It is a very clean blade that again is the exact shape that our tour players are using."

GM: "3. Tiger has been testing the Covert Driver a lot the past few weeks. As with any conversion it is a process. When he is ready he will put it in play."

[quote name='yedi015' timestamp='1360033816' post='6364801']
Anymore models in the original method putter in the works? Love the mallet and wide back method core but would love to see it with original method groves. Also what about maybe a heavier head for the methods like 350 gram range? Thanks
[/quote]

GM: "Keep on the lookout, we have a very special line coming with the original polymetal groove design. And don’t forget that the new Method Midnight Line is all milled with the original polymetal grooves and feel."

[quote name='texasdave' timestamp='1360034098' post='6364845']
Signing Rory, Nick, Kyle and Thorbjorn all make great sense as young golfers with very bright futures but what was the thought in re-signing David Duval?

I wish him well and always enjoyed watching him play.

Dave
[/quote]

TD: "David is and has been a big part of the Nike Family and we are very happy to have him back! No different than you, we enjoy having DD as part of the team and his experience lends us great insights toward our products."

First off, thanks for coming on here to speak with all of us passionate gear heads......

1-The feel of the covert is unlike anything I have hit before. Can you explain how the cavity gives it the softer solid feel?
2-Can you discuss how the stock shaft was chosen for the heads?

Thanks

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1360034333' post='6364867']
Will Nike make the adapters available for the Covert? I'm sure many WRX members, like myself, own shafts they would love to use in the Covert.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
[/quote]

TD: "Finally the question I have been waiting for! YES, but on a limited basis. Starting in early March, we will be selling adaptors to select fitting retailers for on the spot shaft assembly The buzz has been overwhelming and we are doing our best to keep up with the general production demand, therefore securing additional adaptors for the purpose of re-shafting has been a challenge."

Is this all driver discussion or can I ask about the irons?

What have you guys done to differentiate between this years coverts and last years vr's? What sets them apart besides the cosmetic differences?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Will Nike make the adapters available for the Covert? I'm sure many WRX members, like myself, own shafts they would love to use in the Covert.

[/quote]

TD: "Finally the question I have been waiting for! YES, but on a limited basis. Starting in early March, we will be selling adaptors to select fitting retailers for on the spot shaft assembly The buzz has been overwhelming and we are doing our best to keep up with the general production demand, therefore securing additional adaptors for the purpose of re-shafting has been a challenge."

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1360034536' post='6364893']
Thank you Nike Golf for the Q & A.

[/quote]

I would like to add to his question about golfers that have previous versions of your adjustable driver. Is there any way if we have a shaft that we ordered for an older driver, to have that shaft (say an exotic shaft) swapped to the new adapter?
[/quote]

TD: "We do not offer this service."

[quote name='bosox24' timestamp='1360034913' post='6364923']
Excited to try the new driver. How did you guys settle on the name "Covert" for this line? How does it fit this line of products?
[/quote]

TD: "The name was the “project” name that morphed into a product name. The idea is that we have an incredible technology that is visually arresting on the sole, but when you turn the driver to the address position, the technology is “Covertly” hidden. This is the case from driver to iron. You will notice a lot of technology in the back of the iron including a very extreme cavity. When you look at it address, we feel it is the best game improvement profile in the biz! No technology is seen at address."

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1360035055' post='6364935']
How much input to do mega stars like Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have in your testing and development process? What will it take to get them to game more of the brand new gear?
[/quote]

TD: "All Nike product creation is built around listening to the athlete. In our case, we listen and work with a multitude of athletes from reading the Golfwrx posts to getting feedback from TW. Our network also includes college players, PGA professionals, and amateurs alike. In Rory’s case, it’s still very early, but, as we do with all of our athletes, we look forward to gaining his insights as it relates to product development."

[quote name='browne11' timestamp='1360035682' post='6364975']
Will we be able to custom order any shaft that we would like, or are there only a limited amount of upgraded shafts available?

Will there be a fitting cart with different shaft options?

Also is there a pricing list anywhere for shaft upgrades? I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks for your time guys.
[/quote]

PH: "We hold inventory of the most popular custom shafts that we build to order and deliver typically in less than 7 days. We can also special order any shaft from any manufacturer and deliver these typically in 14-20 days (subject to availability from the manufacturer). We have fitting systems that contain a basic assortment of custom shafts distributed at golf retailers across the US, Canada and Europe. We also have a select number of Elite fitting accounts that are equipped with a vast array of custom shafts."

[quote name='Tread' timestamp='1360036185' post='6365027']
How much feedback goes into picking a drivers color during testing? Also, did you ask for feedback regarding the swoosh on the crown during your testing?

The driver looks great BTW.
[/quote]

RB: "Tons of feedback from our panels, consumers and professional athletes went into the color selection and Swoosh on the crown. An interesting fact on the Swoosh positioning is that it is greater than 1.25” from the ball. Nike Sports Research Labs have proven that the human eye can only focus on an area approximately 1.25” from its focal point, hence the Swoosh is out of focus at address! This was something we learned when developing the IC putters from a few years’ back. At Nike, we have amazing scientific resources for all sports and Nike Golf is able to utilize these resources in our relentless pursuit of innovation. We obsess about developing products that help make golfers better."

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1360036843' post='6365099']
Can Nike Golf, for the record, let us know whether Covert shaft tips will be available individually to the general public? If so, when will these be available.

Although I've bought my Covert Tour, if Nike will not be providing an option for acquiring these Covert tips, I, as well as many I'm sure will reconsider.

Thanks Nike Golf for spending the time.
[/quote]

TD: "As stated before, starting in early March, we will be selling adaptors to select fitting retailers for on the spot shaft assembly. The buzz has been overwhelming and we are doing our best to keep up with the general production demand, therefore securing additional adaptors for the purpose of re-shafting has been a challenge."

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Nike made an agressive off season signing of established stars (Watney, McIlroy, Stanley) and up and coming staffers. I would like to commend the re-addition of former staffer David Duval. My question, with currently having the world #1 and #2 players in your stable, do you feel that you will be able to lay claim to the golfing public and become the brand of choice, similar to what Nike has done in other sports?

There has been a hesitancy within on-line communities, unfairly so, that Nike product is viewed as inferior. I still occasionally bag the SQ Tour and have gamed the original Pro Combo's and play the 20X1 S ball and know that Nike Golf means quality and excellent product.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

[quote name='15Over' timestamp='1360037015' post='6365115']
First, thanks for taking the time to come on WRX and responding to questions.

The 2013 wedge line looks just outstanding from the photos we've seen; clean and simple. But, can you give us some information about the sole grinds on the new line? I'd be interested in learning more about how, say, the "dual narrow" grind, or "dual wide" grind, is expected to work, if that is the correct name for the grind. Also, is it correct that the release date is May? Why not earlier? May seems fairly late in the golf season for a new release.

Again, thanks for putting up with us WRXers.
[/quote]

GM: "We are very pleased with this line of forged wedges; as there is much to talk about related to design and performance. These designs come straight from tour requested shapes.
Three Sole designs:
Standard (Tiger’s shape and sole config) which is our most versatile and largest offering, for the player that likes to carry multiple wedges this set up is great. Works very well on full shots and short chips.

Dual Sole Narrow – If you like to manipulate your wedge, i.e. open the face for flop shots or close for full or punch shots and chips, this is the design for you. We have beveled some of the trailing edges of the wedge so when a player opens the club the leading edge remains low to the ground.

Dual Sole Wide – This design actually was born from our staff players on the European tour. This is a much wider soled version of the Dual Sole Narrow wedge and its function is to make shots 50 yards and in-around the green extremely easy to execute. The wider sole really avoids “digging” into the ground and is very good on varying ground/soil conditions, which is why it is popular with the European group because they play all around the world."