2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

LIVE Q&A w/ NIKE GOLF - Feb 7, 2013 - Read the Transcripts

[quote name='j2_a2' timestamp='1360037493' post='6365157']
What made you guys decide to go with the Kuro Kage shafts to be the stock shafts in the Tour and Performance model as opposed to the many other aftermarket shafts out there?

Thanks
[/quote]

TD: "Performance! The KK series won the battle against some very stiff competition. In fact, we saw a number of our athletes put MRC prototypes in play last summer which eventually turned out to be Kuro Kage. Sensational product and we are really excited to have it as the stock offering!"

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Merle33' timestamp='1360038741' post='6365251']
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and educate us on your products. I've been a Nike fan for years and a staff professional as well. You've always made high quality equipment and its very exciting to see the innovation with the 2013 Covert line of equipment.

- With the Covert series being the first high speed cavity back design, and the FlexLoft system, how many years of R & D have been behind the release of these clubs?

- I've hit both the Covert Tour and Covert Performance heads, how difficult was it to dial in the acoustics of these heads with the cavity back design? The sounds at impact are very solid and much different (but better) than previous drivers.

- Approximately what difference in launch and spin rate should we expect from the Tour to the Performance head when hitting with the same shaft?

- Previous versions of adjustable hostel adapters achieved different lofts by rotating the shaft varying degrees up to 90* from its original position, to add or subtract 1-2* of loft. It appears with the FlexLoft system, the shaft is rotated a much smaller amount, but still resulting in a 1* change in loft. The face angle is then adjusted independently with a separate gear. Can you explain how the new FlexLoft tips allow us to adjust to 5 different loft settings?

Thanks, and I can't wait to have all the new equipment in my bag!!
[/quote]

RB: " 1) Tom Stites and the Long Term Research Team originally dreamed up and prototyped the first concept about 10 years ago. It was only in the past couple of years did mfg technology allow us to make it what it is today.

2) Acoustics are a challenge with all drivers since each of them is a distinct musical instrument. Fortunately with Finite Element Analysis FEA analysis we have the ability to predict sound and adjust prior to making a metal part, which speeds up the acoustic process by months, if not years!
3) About .75º LA and 300rpm in spin. (Golfer dependent)
4) Great question and you are VERY perceptive. We cannot tell you any more than it does exactly what we tell you it does. The “how” part cost us millions of dollars in research and is highly scientific, hence the information is proprietary."

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1360038805' post='6365255']
Can you actually tell us who does the forging for your irons this year and last years blades. Is it ENDO of Thailand? Or all all your irons forged and cast done in China? So much mis information and so called experts that say one or the other. For once I'd like to hear it from the people who may know what's the truth!

Thanks, Tim

PS: I still love the Original Pro Combo's the first set Nike ever made. I was told they (iron heads) were done by ENDO of Japan. I just want to know because they were the best feeling forged irons I felt Nike ever made, although I haven't tried the new VR BLades....
[/quote]

TD: "Endo has produced all of our forgings for roughly 4 years. But if you ever meet Tom Stites and want to get him riled up, mention some of the goofy rumors that have been on this site for years!"

I understand that, for the most part, golf equipment is geared toward the masses. However, I'm a little worried about the longer, lighter shafts being used now and whether or not I would be able to get my hands on a Covert/Covert Tour driver with a shorter, heavier shaft and with the proper swing weight. Do you see this being a problem? Would this be something available thru Nike custom order department? Would these options be available day one? Thank you. This Nike Covert product is AMAZING!

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1360040030' post='6365339']
Thanks for yoru time Nike golf.

Will Nike golf be introducing a different players iron, even a new players cavity, in the near future

and

Will Rory have his own branded line Like Tiger has the VR line?
[/quote]

TD: "Now, now...do you really think we are going to tell you what is coming out next year! It ruins the fun of all the speculative posts from the WRX’ers! We would never spoil that! As for Rory, it is way too soon to know what our product plans with him are."

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360263323' post='6382273']
[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1360038805' post='6365255']
Can you actually tell us who does the forging for your irons this year and last years blades. Is it ENDO of Thailand? Or all all your irons forged and cast done in China? So much mis information and so called experts that say one or the other. For once I'd like to hear it from the people who may know what's the truth!

Thanks, Tim

PS: I still love the Original Pro Combo's the first set Nike ever made. I was told they (iron heads) were done by ENDO of Japan. I just want to know because they were the best feeling forged irons I felt Nike ever made, although I haven't tried the new VR BLades....
[/quote]

TD: "Endo has produced all of our forgings for roughly 4 years. But if you ever meet Tom Stites and want to get him riled up, mention some of the goofy rumors that have been on this site for years!"
[/quote]Makes note, should I ever bump into him. Thanks!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1360042833' post='6365507']
Sorry, bit of a list as I've been giving all the Nike equipment a serious eye.

1: Are there any plans to introduce the changable weight technology from the Method Core to the Method/Midnight putters?

2: Can one custom order a Method Core with a heavier head weight?

3: Aside from Flex Loft, which is obviously neat, can you touch on the difference between the Performance and Pro model in the hybrids?

4: Marketing is not my thing, but I'm curious as to why the wedge release is staggered from the rest of the 2013 release.

5: Any plans to introduce Nike fitting carts to Canada/the west coast? I'm hoping that as Nike Golf really turns it on this year, we'll see more support for the local rep and accounts who have been struggling to provide answers, fitting information and custom options.

Thanks for your time!
[/quote]

GM: "1. No plans at this point. We have definitely looked at it but the market has a preference for pre-set weighted putters over adjustable weighted putters. Companies that have done them in the past have seen below average sales. Consumers just don’t want to fiddle with their putters."

GM: "2. Between the three head weights (350g, 365g; 390g) a consumer can pick between the 350g and 365g for a standard length. The 390g is available for our mid-length putters only."

TD: "3. Chassis are the same. Flight characteristics are similar. Less offset on the Tour version."

TD: "4. Consumer research shows that you guys (on average) look to improve different parts of your bag at different times of the year. Driver/iron pre-season and wedge beginning of the season. By moving the wedge launch out a little bit, it allows for it to not get swallowed by the Covert marketing!"

PH: "5. Our 2 sales Representatives in BC will have a personal fit bag for all demo and fitting days. As well, we will have 14 additional fit bag placed with various accounts (see list below) that consumers can contact to be fit for our new products. Our fit bags will contain 6 custom Driver shaft offerings as well as 4 offerings in the Kuro Kage Black and 3 in the Kuro Kage Silver shaft options.

Our custom shaft and grip options in Canada have drastically been expanded in 2012 and again in 2013, allowing consumers to order virtually any custom shaft and grip available on the market."

SUN RIVERS GOLF CLUB
WILLIAMS LAKE GOLF CLUB
CANOE CREEK GOLF CLUB
TWO EAGLES GOLF CLUB
ROSSLAND TRAIL (BIRCHBANK)
STRICKLY GOLF
OSOYOOS GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB
VERNON GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB
SHADOW RIDGE GOLF CLUB
TOBIANO GOLF CLUB
WHISTLER GOLF CLUB
SEYMOUR (DS GOLF ENT)
MEADOWS GOLF CENTER
DUNCAN MEADOWS GOLF CLUB
RYAN CUNNINGHAM
GOLFTOWN #7 RICHMOND

[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1360044065' post='6365567']
Ping said they moved weight back in G25 driver, thus making it more forgiving. Covert cavity back clearly moved weight forward, but also claimed more forgiving. How should I reconcile the difference?
[/quote]

TD: "We spread our weight to the heel and toe. When you move weight back, it tends to increase spin. We wanted to create forgiveness while reducing spin, hence the creation of the cavity!"

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1360044708' post='6365607']
Did you guys see the red crown as a risk? Are you pleased with how it's been accepted?
[/quote]

TD: "Our factories are producing product like never before! We have had our highest rate of professional athlete conversion in our history. Can’t think of a better barometer for acceptance."

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1360060369' post='6365865']
Like Taylormade, your driver has one loft that can be adjusted to suit the player. Do you also have heads for tour players that have specific lofts instead of just the one loft? Or are tour players using different shaft tips to achieve specific loft and face angle combinations?

Which driver have you seen is lower spin, the speed driver or tour driver? Why have more pros switched to the speed driver?

The Covert line is a truly unique design and I'm very interested to try it when the weather warms up. Can you explain how the cavity in the Covert line affects launch conditions?

Will you ever offer a customizeable putter line? I.e. blank heads to allow customers to choose finish, alignment aids, stamping/engraving, etc.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions!
[/quote]

TD: "Unlike Taylor Made, we do not use a “compass” on the sole to make the club appear to not change face angle when you change loft, instead our face angle just doesn’t change the loft. This will freak out the “tour issue” crowd, but the tour is playing, well...the same product you are. Same adaptor, same head. We are seeing a lot of our tour athletes experimenting with more loft on the Flexloft as they are able to increase launch without adding too much more spin. Nick Watney has his driver set at 11.5, for example!

TD: "About .75º LA and 300rpm in spin difference between the two heads. Tour head launches lower and with less spin. We are seeing our athletes liking the little extra spin they get out of the performance head in some cases. Currently it is about a 50/50 split, which speaks to the playability of both products for all player types."

TD: "Cavity effects forgiveness and reduces spin, not too much effect on launch angle."

GM: "Mass or personal customization is something Nike Inc. focuses on very heavily. The Nike ID program for Athletic Footwear has been very successful for consumers and we are looking at all possibilities for the Method line to be a part of that."

[quote name='sernicson' timestamp='1360069204' post='6366101']
Hello, thanks for the opportunity, I have the following question:

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and here the Nike Golf products are only offered by a few retailers, with prices around 20% above the main competitors (mainly TaylorMade). Have you considered arriving to this market directly in order to gain more market share? Your products are very well seen here, but are quite expensive. Thanks, regards.
[/quote]

TD: "South America is an emerging market that we just started doing business in recently. We have a tremendous distributor in Argentina and as our business gets stronger in these regions you will see the product much more visible and available!"

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1360076491' post='6366593']
How is the CC for the head calculated? Does the void have to be factored in for total CC or is the CC the actual displaced volume of the head?

Do you supply that red paint in volume? I'd like to paint my Pontiac G8 with that color!

Thanks Nike and GWRX for another outstanding Q&A!

--kC
[/quote]

TD: "The USGA mandates that all depressions are filled for the volume test. As for the paint, not sure if we can supply that much paint, but I am sure a big swoosh on the side would look great on that G8!"

[quote name='cmaggiri' timestamp='1360076987' post='6366635']
As a long time player of TM woods, what about this line of woods is going to make me change?

Why is the tour driver offered in a smaller head?
[/quote]

TD: "You can hit our driver farther and straighter and do not have to do a google search to figure out how to adjust it. If that is not enough to make you change, then we just aren’t going to get you to come to the “good” side.

The tour driver is built from our tour athlete insights. Simply said, they got what they wanted and we made it available to everyone!"

Thanks to Nike Golf for coming on and giving us the chance to ask questions.

Any chance there will be more shaft options this year for demo days? Last year there were only 3 custom shafts to try at the event I went to.

Also, any chance for some of us to go to The Oven and check out what goes in to developing these clubs?

Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

[quote name='jtudhsnae' timestamp='1360078086' post='6366733']
Why the white swoosh on the top of the driver?
I know it distracts some users.
[/quote][quote name='jtudhsnae' timestamp='1360078086' post='6366733']
Why the white swoosh on the top of the driver?
I know it distracts some users.
[/quote]

TD: "Because it looks really cool and is the sweetest logo on the planet. As for distraction, I will repeat a response from before: Tons of feedback from our panels, consumers and professional athletes went into the color selection and Swoosh on the crown. An interesting fact on the Swoosh positioning is that it is greater than 1.25” from the ball. Nike Sports Research Labs have proven that the human eye can only focus on an area approximately 1.25” from its focal point, hence the Swoosh is out of focus at address! This was something we learned when developing the IC putters from a few years’ back. At Nike, we have amazing scientific resources for all sports and Nike Golf is able to utilize these resources in our relentless pursuit of innovation. We obsess about developing products that help make golfers better."

Any plans to offer any collaboration between Nike and Jordan Brand to make a line for golfers? I would love to see some Retro XI or Retro V with spikes on them :)

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360264020' post='6382381']
[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1360060369' post='6365865']
Like Taylormade, your driver has one loft that can be adjusted to suit the player. Do you also have heads for tour players that have specific lofts instead of just the one loft? Or are tour players using different shaft tips to achieve specific loft and face angle combinations?

Which driver have you seen is lower spin, the speed driver or tour driver? Why have more pros switched to the speed driver?

The Covert line is a truly unique design and I'm very interested to try it when the weather warms up. Can you explain how the cavity in the Covert line affects launch conditions?

Will you ever offer a customizeable putter line? I.e. blank heads to allow customers to choose finish, alignment aids, stamping/engraving, etc.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions!
[/quote]

TD: "Unlike Taylor Made, we do not use a “compass” on the sole to make the club appear to not change face angle when you change loft, instead our face angle just doesn’t change the loft. This will freak out the “tour issue” crowd, but the tour is playing, well...the same product you are. Same adaptor, same head. We are seeing a lot of our tour athletes experimenting with more loft on the Flexloft as they are able to increase launch without adding too much more spin. Nick Watney has his driver set at 11.5, for example!

TD: "About .75º LA and 300rpm in spin difference between the two heads. Tour head launches lower and with less spin. We are seeing our athletes liking the little extra spin they get out of the performance head in some cases. Currently it is about a 50/50 split, which speaks to the playability of both products for all player types."

TD: "Cavity effects forgiveness and reduces spin, not too much effect on launch angle."

GM: "Mass or personal customization is something Nike Inc. focuses on very heavily. The Nike ID program for Athletic Footwear has been very successful for consumers and we are looking at all possibilities for the Method line to be a part of that."
[/quote]

Thank you all for your answers!

Besides Nick Watney who is an anomoly (he's used a high loft drivers for years), how much loft are you see added for most guys?

I'm going to keep my eye out for the Nike ID Method putters.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)