2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

LIVE Q&A w/ NIKE GOLF - Feb 7, 2013 - Read the Transcripts

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GitarooJack' timestamp='1360081902' post='6367111']
Being one of the few to actually look past the weirdness (I personally thought it looked awesome) and bag your Method Core Concept putter last year, I am drawn to such things whereas a traditional golfer stays far away. I like innovation, a LOT.

That being said, where does the inspiration to create truly new product like the Concept and the new Covert come from? Are you more driven for the need to find new territory in the marketplace or purely from a standpoint of being "different?"

I ask this because it is a common question in art, and it often overlaps more than it separates from companies that are truly trying to improve the game. I see that a lot from you guys and I feel that you're often greatly underrated. Which one would you say drives you more?

Thanks so much for doing this!
[/quote]

TD: "This type of product is something we let the design and science team “free-swing for the fences”. Think of it as a Concept Car. From time to time we will launch products that will be a blend of art and science that are simply different, but always serve a specific scientific purpose. In this case, the Concept line informed how we produced the Drone 2.0 which launches this week, also.

Concepts come from a variety of places within our company. We have a large internal think tank, spend tons of time learning from the athlete and consumers, and we also have a large base of outside consultants to keep things fresh! We relentlessly innovate to improve athletic performance (keeping in mind that it is a Nike Maxim that “If you have a body, you are an athlete), regardless of the sport. If that creates “different”, then it can be a great by-product of the process. The end goal of better performing product is never lost!"

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360264020' post='6382381']
We are seeing a lot of our tour athletes experimenting with more loft on the Flexloft as they are able to increase launch without adding too much more spin. Nick Watney has his driver set at 11.5, for example!
[/quote]

Wow. 11.5*?

What are some of the other guys playing?

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1360084472' post='6367367']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1360033645' post='6364783']
There have been claims on this board by very respected members that it is impossible to create an adjustable hosel that changes loft without changing the face angle. How were you able to achieve this in the Covert?
[/quote]

I know Nike will give you a more detailed answer. This morning I spent an hour with our Nike rep and the Covert Performance model. I can verify that the Dual Axis adjustment system works exactly as described, changing loft independently from face angle. I did it twice; once from 8.5 to 10.5 degrees and back to 9.5*. It stayed dead square and you do not need a "coded chart" like the Titleist 910/913 as all the markings are simple and visible.
[/quote]

TD: "We agree wholeheartedly and you don’t even need to sole it to make it “appear” open or closed. It is actually what you set it at!"

Very informative session, thanks Nike team.

For the Covert Driver, how about a LTD Edition, Matte Black?

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='Brianbigoats' timestamp='1360087440' post='6367605']
How does the cavity not create arodynamic drag whic in turn will slow down club head speed?
it kind of looks as though the cavity would creat an area of turbulence
Is the weight distribution effected by the cavity?
[/quote]

RB: "We modified the topline radius and crown profile to enhance airflow attachment, which reduces drag. The cavity has minimal effects on the overall aerodynamics and enhances the overall performance of the driver."

[quote name='novakjrp1' timestamp='1360087486' post='6367609']
Why, in your opinion, have the PGA staffers been slow to transition to the Covert fairway woods? Many more VR Pro Ltd. fairways than Covert it seems!
[/quote]

TD: "Focus has been 100% on drivers. We are just getting fairways and hybrids in for the athletes to test now."

[quote name='jeffhimself' timestamp='1360088377' post='6367697']
Thank you for the opportunity Nike and GolfWRX.

My question is, having adjustable lofts achievable, do you think the progression in golf will be to have 1 driver, 1 fairway and 1 hybrid that can adjust on the fly based on the shot required and replace carrying 2-4 fairways/hybrids?

Thanks!
[/quote]

TD: "Good question. Of course, not within the USGA rules will this be possible."

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360265177' post='6382569']
[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1360084472' post='6367367']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1360033645' post='6364783']
There have been claims on this board by very respected members that it is impossible to create an adjustable hosel that changes loft without changing the face angle. How were you able to achieve this in the Covert?
[/quote]

I know Nike will give you a more detailed answer. This morning I spent an hour with our Nike rep and the Covert Performance model. I can verify that the Dual Axis adjustment system works exactly as described, changing loft independently from face angle. I did it twice; once from 8.5 to 10.5 degrees and back to 9.5*. It stayed dead square and you do not need a "coded chart" like the Titleist 910/913 as all the markings are simple and visible.
[/quote]

TD: "We agree wholeheartedly and you don’t even need to sole it to make it “appear” open or closed. It is actually what you set it at!"
[/quote]

Thanks for the reinforcement. I'm not as stupid as I look, regardless of advanced age. :swoon:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1360089729' post='6367821']
Love the Covert name, and since it is a Covert Q&A here it goes: I'm still a bit skeptical about adjustable clubs. Maybe I'm old school and mentally seem to play better with glued stuff. I really like the look of the new Covert line. How much can this adjustable sleeve, which seems the be all say all, help the lower hdcp golfer?

I too am also curious about ordering at a shorter length and proper SW for my game. Last question, when testing obviously you don't have competitors new stuff to compare against, so what drives the performance factor? Is barely beating last years stuff good enough for your design team?

Thanks, can't wait to try clubs AND ball.

edit: Our Nike rep told me goal is to have TW switch by Masters. Also told me custom length was fine to order but did not confirm SW...hence the question again above!
[/quote]

TD: "Perfect case in point on the adjustable sleeve...Nike is located just outside of Portland, OR, of which is quite wet this time of year. My Covert driver is set at 11.5 while in Oregon. Trying to achieve max carry as every drive has -6” roll out. We had an opportunity to play in FL during PGA Show week, I was able to move the same driver to 9.5 to get more optimum launch conditions for a faster course. Best part is that I did that without changing my face angle!

PH: "We take swingweight requests and we'll hit them whenever possible, but we can't guarantee we can hit a swingweight as there are a multitude of component variables (length, shaft weight, shaft balance point, grip weight, etc.) that cannot always be offset with the range of headweight control available. In the VR_S Covert Drivers, we control headweight through the use of Hot Melt. As a general rule we use between 2 and 6 grams of hot melt to control headweight, however, we’ll use up to 10 grams if required to hit a requested swingweight with a warning to the customer that, beyond 6 grams, the impact sound will become increasingly muted."

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1360092114' post='6368039']
Can you please reconsider bumping the release date up for your new forged wedges that are coming out? Those things are beautiful!!!!
[/quote]

TD: "Really, Money...how many golf clubs can one man buy in a given season (of course, we all love you for it!)"

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1360094021' post='6368223']
What in the world made you go with a cavity back driver? I love it but give us an idea of the research path. Was it the original direction or was it a turn off of the orginal path?
[/quote]

RB: " 'If it works in an iron, why isn’t it viable in a driver' was the original question we pondered and went after. Once we put concept in metal, the ideas and advancements just kept coming. Innovation is so awesome to be a part of."

[quote name='Tiger's # 1' timestamp='1360097330' post='6368487']
With the new Covert driver giving many players lower spin rates did any of your tour players increase the loft on the Covert in comparison to their previous driver? If so, is this something you think people can expect when making the switch to the Covert driver?
[/quote]

TD: "We are definitely seeing an increase in player’s lofts with the new VR_S Covert Drivers. Fact is that most players play with too little loft and too stiff a shaft, which can restrict your max distance by 10-30 yards. The FlexLoft makes for an easy “experimental” adjustment and low and behold, more loft works."

[quote name='PureShot6' timestamp='1360099973' post='6368743']
What clubs are Rory McIlroy using and what shafts are in his clubs. Also why did he swith from the black/yellow multicompound to black/white. Do you ever see him going back to the black/yellow. Thank you for your time.
[/quote]

TD:

As of Abu Dhabi:
VR_S Covert Tour Driver 9.5N with Diamana Prototype
VR Pro Limited Edition #3 and #5 fairway woods
VR Pro Blade 3-Pw
VR Pro Forged Wedges 54, 60
Method 006 Proto

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360265879' post='6382665']
Can you please reconsider bumping the release date up for your new forged wedges that are coming out? Those things are beautiful!!!!
[/quote]

TD: "Really, Money...how many golf clubs can one man buy in a given season (of course, we all love you for it!)"
[/quote]

:cheesy:

(not that I'm any different. You however are the gold standard of the Acquiring Awesomeness Club (formerly Club Ho's Anonymous but didn't reflect the proper vibe)).

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360265879' post='6382665']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol. I buy clubs all year round. This year there will be a lot more Nike products purchased for me though...

[quote name='Nike Golf' timestamp='1360265957' post='6382673']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1360094021' post='6368223']
What in the world made you go with a cavity back driver? I love it but give us an idea of the research path. Was it the original direction or was it a turn off of the orginal path?
[/quote]

RB: " 'If it works in an iron, why isn’t it viable in a driver' was the original question we pondered and went after. Once we put concept in metal, the ideas and advancements just kept coming. Innovation is so awesome to be a part of."
[/quote]

Thanks for your time and the response. Innovation, makes the world go 'round....and then some ! #InNikeWeTrust

[quote name='Forrest22' timestamp='1360205184' post='6377547']
Will there be any help systems (such as an Android/iOS app) to help you customize the Driver? Will there be any nike golf apps in the future?
[/quote]

TD: "Frankly there should be no need! The system is THAT intuitive. Seriously, there are video on the website to show the ease of use and there is a manual that comes with every club. Back story: When the system was briefed, the idea that it was “as easy to use as an I-Phone” was given to the engineers. The I-phone is ready to use and easy to understand right out of the box. We feel we have accomplished this. When we saw the difficulty and intimidation consumers have and still have with the other systems in the market place, we knew this was the proper direction."

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1360197520' post='6376649']
Do you feel snubbed by GOLF DIGEST and the HOT LIST? It seems as if the members on WRX are excited about your product than the magazine... How much weight do you put into their feedback?
[/quote]
TD: "We have tons of respect for the process and objectivity that goes into the Hot List. The relentless work they do for their readership is commendable. “Snubbed” is not an accurate term as we received gold medals for both drivers. On the other hand, we feel this is by far the most innovative product that has come out in many years, let alone this one."

Thank you to everyone for submitting such great questions. We wish we could have answered more of them and if time permits over the next few days we will try to get to a few more, no guarantees.

We hope you get out to try the new VR_S Covert line-up, it launches tomorrow in the US, Canada and Europe, next week in Asia.

Time to get back to making golf clubs!

Thank you!