Rackmageddon -- a Hogan iron story

guisician

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1363018646' post='6589625']
Anybody know an easy way to distinguish (while shopping on the bay) which model Hogan PC is the model that had the leading edge that had more of a roll to it. I once owned a set in the late 80s that had a great leading edge (it had a slight bevel to it like most good blades). Hogan later (I guess) one of the years got rid of that model and it seemed they went to a very very sharp leading edge and less beveled. Anybody have knowledge of why they did this. I've asked this question many times and never got an answer.
[/quote]
[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1386812013' post='8286201']
Great thread. The 80s PC also was made w 2 different grinds. I played a set that had a great grind. Most of the ones you see are the model w a very sharp leading edge w almost no bevel
[/quote]
[quote name='Ol_Pardner' timestamp='1386830717' post='8287467']
Freddie's right. Another thing that I noticed with the different PC grinds, or models, is that the set of sharper leading edge PCs that I have, runs about 1/4" shorter than the rounded sole model, almost as if that was one of years when the golfing industry, decided to "grow" standard length by a fraction.
[/quote]
[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1386852067' post='8287855']
Ol Partner, thats interesting... In 1986 after woking a morning shift in the "bag room" at the Club cleaning clubs and carts, I ventured 5 miles to a public course called "Sagamore" in Lynnfield, Ma. The Pro called "Apple" had the best and selection of used clubs. You guys would have loved what he had. He literally invented the "trade in" in our area. He had a rack 12 feet by 4, all iron sets boxed up labled with prices. He always had about 25 to 30 sets and it seemed like he always had the good stuff, lots of staffs, Hogans and Macgregors. He had a decent selection of drivers (real wood) in a big barrel, once picked up a nice MT1W.. I was currently playing a set of 85 staffs which I was getting tired of. Most of the assistants in our shop were Hogan guys, my buddy Eric the 1st assistant had the 73 apex, the guy could play, once beat Jay Siegal in the Philly amateur. That afternoon I found the nicest barely used set of Hogan PCs , the model with a more rounded leading and trailing edge. I can still remember bolting to my course and hitting them on the grass range on a briliant summer afternoon. They were the cats Meow... the off da heezy fo' sheezy, thats for sure. Thats the set I'm still looking for occassionally. I'm pretty sure Donna Summer was playing on the radio when I was hitting balls, the pool backed up right to the Range.
[/quote]

freddiec,

I believe the first production model PCs made in 1984 with the AMF Ben Hogan Apex labels (shaft flex number inside the sun emblem) were those with more of a rolled leading edge. My set of 1987 model year PCs with Apex Extra shafts seems to have the sharper leading edge you describe.

Since you picked up your PC set in 1986, it could well be it was one of the earlier production years - possibly with the AMF Ben Hogan Apex shaft labels I've described above.

Shade

That certainly matches my set of PCs. Mine have the AMF branded shaft labels, and a nice blunted leading edge. I don't know whether you can rely on post-AMF shafts coming with the sharper grind or not. Also, on clubs that age, it's not always going to be easy to tell whether the shaft labels originally had AMF on them. I was quite surprised to be able to find it on a couple of mine - to be honest, before I looked (and I've probably had these clubs close to 15 years), I thought mine were post-AMF.

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1421773930' post='10783715']
That certainly matches my set of PCs. Mine have the AMF branded shaft labels, and a nice blunted leading edge. I don't know whether you can rely on post-AMF shafts coming with the sharper grind or not. Also, on clubs that age, it's not always going to be easy to tell whether the shaft labels originally had AMF on them. I was quite surprised to be able to find it on a couple of mine - to be honest, before I looked (and I've probably had these clubs close to 15 years), I thought mine were post-AMF.
[/quote]

birly-shirly,

Agree. AMF sold the Ben Hogan line in 1985. At some point thereafter, the shaft labels transitioned to an AMF-free design with "Hogan" in a stylized script accompanied by APEX in block letters and the shaft flex inside a circle as seen below. Since the PC production run was from 1984-1987, the grind transition was somewhere in between. As noted earlier, my 1987 PCs with Apex Extra shafts have the sharper leading edge.

Shade

• 1 year later...

Hey Fellow Hoganites, what a great forum! Got back into the game last fall after three years, back problems, and have been enjoying all the forms regarding Hogan clubs. Well yep I've got the bug. Started out slowly a see of 80's Radials, thought I'd try blades again after a 45 year break. Then the flood gates opened as a result. Now I have acquired sets of: 99 Apex plus, Apex edge with graphite, be nice, Grinds, and recently, 64 PT 3's. Last fall I got a set of 5-PW Nikes which have found themselves in the back of the garage. Been banging the Grinds around for the past 3 weeks and loving them and can't wait to receive the P3's next week. I hope I didn't ramble too long, but that goes with retirement. Hope you'll let me on your circle.

"I've got the bug". LOL, LOL, :rofl: :rofl:

Now that's out of the way. Welcome to the forum. You'll find many kindred spirits that share your newly found affliction around here. We all sorta stumble in and then get trapped. Next thing you know, iron sets start appearing with regularity. You'll find that many of us are in retirement, or at the minimum, a more "seasoned" group of golfers. We all have a tendency to ramble on a bit. No problem! Somewhat the norm around here and to be expected.

Great way to get into playing vintage/classic clubs. Become a Hoganista. For which you have instantly gained membership to this august forum. Same circumstances as yourself. Retired, golfed, inadvertently wandered into the Classic forum, learned about Hogan irons and became a fan, still try to play golf with some degree of respectability, always searching for classic golf clubs on the cheap, having more fun than ever........and idle away the hours chattering about it on the internets.

We like pictures, stories and play reports (see Rounds with a Vintage Bag). Share your experiences. We all try to help and support one another on our travels down this path. And there are those amongst us that have an amazing amount of knowledge about the game and the implements used to play it. So don't be a stranger. And this thread is fantastic for the Hogan junkie.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Retired. Turned 60 a month ago. I am ALL-IN on classic/vintage clubs. Currently playing the BH Grinds and Speed Slot woods.

Most fun I've had playing golf.

Often found this site while researching clubs and have enjoyed reading post/comments. Some very useful info.

I know Teevon is the Hogan expert and value his post.

I have a question about a set of IPT's I recently bought. The serial number is EX1111 on each club in set. Anyone know if this is for experimental?

Never seen a number like this. What does it mean? I can imagine someone very famous trying these. I do intend to play them.

First Hogan's I ever owned is the 1988 Edge with Apex 1 3 5 woods. Bought them used in 1992. These were the only clubs I owned until about 18 months ago. Played golf sparingly over the years. Most years not at all. After retiring in 2011 I began to get back into the swing again.

Hope my post is not too boring. I'm a newbie.

Welcome aboard f4g. Our posts are never boring!!! Always insightful. See post ^, this applies to you as well. Sure someone will be along shortly to answer your inquiry. Sure sounds like those "EX" IPT's may be something special.

Paging Teevons. We need your assistance.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

fun/fella-

This thread has been around for a while, and It helps if you bring photos to the party

Guisician started this thread, and that is some collection.

Teevons, '53 Precision, Texsport, and freddiec also have more than a few Hogan clubs.

As for me, my interests lean towards the Sam Adams side of the Hogan street....

Am currently looking for a '73 LH Hogan Apex Equalizer Wedge.

Have RH Hogans. Will trade.

Retired. Turned 60 a month ago. I am ALL-IN on classic/vintage clubs. Currently playing the BH Grinds and Speed Slot woods.

Most fun I've had playing golf.

Often found this site while researching clubs and have enjoyed reading post/comments. Some very useful info.

I know Teevon is the Hogan expert and value his post.

I have a question about a set of IPT's I recently bought. The serial number is EX1111 on each club in set. Anyone know if this is for experimental?

Never seen a number like this. What does it mean? I can imagine someone very famous trying these. I do intend to play them.

First Hogan's I ever owned is the 1988 Edge. Bought them used in 1992. These were the only clubs I owned until about 18 months ago. Played golf sparingly over the years. Most years not at all. After retiring in 2011 I began to get back into the swing again.

Hope my post is not too boring. I'm a newbie.

do you have pictures of the clubs?? serial numbers on ferrule, shaft bands grips??

I have not seen that serial number but makes sense they are test clubs.

I have some Hogan Precision woods, very early models that just have X stamped on neck, and other set that has expeirimental on neck so no real concrete way they stamped them.

Teevons. Check this out.

I contacted the seller to ask if he noticed the serial #'s on this set of IPT's. And did he send me these by mistake. He says he never noticed the #'s and these are the clubs he meant to send. Has never heard of any Hogan runs beginning with EX. The #'s always meant something like flex, year, weight, and grips.

He also suggest do not put new grips on to play. Putting new grips on these clubs could hurt their potential value to a collector. He says these are likely to be one of the first sets of IPT's produced...most likely the earliest. Then he reminds me the Hogan Co. had a field next to the factory in Ft.Worth and you know who the Experimenter-In-Chief was in 1963. He says I should get some PT III's(similar clubs) instead to play and leave the IPT's intact.

I will get back with him to see if he can remember where and from whom he got these clubs.

He does not remember the exact source of these clubs. He says years ago he was collecting many sets and bought quite a few from Texas.

He assumes these Hogan IPT's are among them. He has not been very active buying-selling clubs for at least 10 years as he has lost contact with

the people involved. I'll call the new Hogan Co. to see if anyone there has info. on these clubs. In the meantime I'll be content in knowing these

are likely the first(or very early)IPT's to be produced and possibly tested by Mr. Hogan in the field next to the Ft. Worth factory in 1963.

They are all original in very nice condition which is how they will remain. Thanks for your input.

This afternoon I called the new Ben Hogan Co. Talked to Eddie and Barry. Barry says he has been around since 1970. Has never heard of this

serial #. He agrees as the seller told me- the company has changed hands many times over the years and most records are lost. No one around from 1963.

I am new to collecting guess the best thing to do is hold on to them. Easy to see how people get hooked on collecting stuff.

If nothing else these clubs have a good story with a mystery about them needing to be solved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

The IPTs (and IPT3s) with EX1111 and EX2222 assembly numbers were demo clubs.  There are a fair number of them floating around.  Years ago I excitedly brought a set into Mario Cesario who ran the Southwest Service Center for Hogan hoping that I had something special.  He told me that the EX on 1960s clubs meant "Example" and that the demos were supposed to be returned to Hogan and that my set must have "fallen off the truck".  Later demo sets were labeled "Demo" or "Demo Clubs" on the ferrule.    

241089598_10221231009113034_7034004906399016652_n (1).jpg

• Like 4