here a photo of trouser length

ronnbee

So, i've been lurking for a while and this thread is the reason i created an account. The first pic posted is spot on. There is a slight fold of the leg resting over the top of the shoe. The tail end of the cuff should be 1/4 inch above or below welt of shoe no exceptions. That is the proper length and is the only acceptable length according to the united states marine corps clothing and grooming standards. Good day.

I'm in my 20s and I like my pants exactly like SeYung Noh's. I usually buy 32-34" waist pants with 32-34" inseams. I really only need the inseam to be 29"-30" but the extra length makes hemming them easier. I think hemming them with a v is trendier look and allows the pants to be a little longer without looking poorly fitted like Goose's.

insl01_graeme_mcdowell_drill.jpg

Any idea what brand slacks these are?

I think your golf pants should be long enough that when you sit down, they don't come above your ankle. I know that's probably the style that older gentlemen follow but I don't think it looks good to have your socks/ankles/calves showing when you sit. I thought Noh's pants in the first picture were perfect length.

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1363870090' post='6656475']
I think your golf pants should be long enough that when you sit down, they don't come above your ankle. I know that's probably the style that older gentlemen follow but I don't think it looks good to have your socks/ankles/calves showing when you sit. I thought Noh's pants in the first picture were perfect length.
[/quote]

I've never heard of anybody alter pants based on where they fall when you sit. That's like guys I see trying on sport coats raising their arms above their heads and making all kinds of contortions "to see if it fits."

I think where your pants fall when you sit would be dependent on several factors, one of which is the material of the pant, but for most pants I've ever had, if they didn't come above my ankle when was in a siting position, they'd be far too long.

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1363870406' post='6656497']
[/quote]

I've never heard of anybody alter pants based on where they fall when you sit. That's like guys I see trying on sport coats raising their arms above their heads and making all kinds of contortions "to see if it fits."

I think where your pants fall when you sit would be dependent on several factors, one of which is the material of the pant, but for most pants I've ever had, if they didn't come above my ankle when was in a siting position, they'd be far too long.
[/quote]

Well, what is "too long" is an opinion. As long as pants aren't so baggy that there are multiple inches of creases and folds at the bottom, they're good for me. I just hate to see pants that are so short that they rise nearly halfway up the calf when you sit down. That's definitely too short. But that's just my view.

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1363882786' post='6657763']
[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1363870406' post='6656497']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, what is "too long" is an opinion. As long as pants aren't so baggy that there are multiple inches of creases and folds at the bottom, they're good for me. [i][b]I just hate to see pants that are so short that they rise nearly halfway up the calf when you sit down. That's definitely too short[/b][/i]. But that's just my view.
[/quote]

I agree

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

Well, what is "too long" is an opinion. As long as pants aren't so baggy that there are multiple inches of creases and folds at the bottom, they're good for me. I just hate to see pants that are so short that they rise nearly halfway up the calf when you sit down. That's definitely too short. But that's just my view.
[/quote]

No question, it's just that some opinions are right, and some are wrong. :cheesy:

I'm kidding. There's certainly an accepted range and whether you fall on the upper or lower end of that range is a matter of preference.

[/quote]

It sounds like what the pants look like when sitting is more important to you than what they look like when standing. That perspective is a new one to me.

[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1363888371' post='6658441']
[/quote]

It sounds like what the pants look like when sitting is more important to you than what they look like when standing. That perspective is a new one to me.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say that what the pants look like when sitting is more important (since that was never said); but if you ever sit while wearing pants, it only makes sense that you would care about how your pants look when you sit. I've never bought a pair of pants where I figured I would never sit while wearing them.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all...just using that as judgement. If they're that short when sitting down, they're too short for me standing up as well. I simply used it as a way to judge what length I think is good.

This is a very weird topic to begin with...

[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1363891944' post='6658827']
I wouldn't say that what the pants look like when sitting is more important (since that was never said); but if you ever sit while wearing pants, it only makes sense that you would care about how your pants look when you sit. I've never bought a pair of pants where I figured I would never sit while wearing them.
[/quote]

Got it. But no, I care very little about what they look like when I'm sitting, since at that point my pant bottoms are often hidden by a desk or table, and the bottom has to come up as a function of sitting. To me, the length they are when I sit is always just going to be a function of how they are when I stand, and not the other way around. I've just never formed an opinion about my own or someone else's pants being the right length based on sitting length.

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1363892333' post='6658875']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not at all...just using that as judgement. If they're that short when sitting down, they're too short for me standing up as well. I simply used it as a way to judge what length I think is good.

This is a very weird topic to begin with...
[/quote]

LOL Maybe we're talking about the same standing pants-leg-length anyway, but I wouldn't compromise the look of my pants at standing length by caring about what they look like when I'm sitting. That is, I wouldn't think "Sure, my pants are a little too long and bunching now, but just wait til I sit down." It just never enters my mind. Too short when standing, sure, they're going to be too short when sitting -- but that's 'cause they were too short when standing.

It's VERY weird, that's for sure. And none of it matters -- it's just interesting to hear people's take on what looks good and bad.

Funny thread.

I'm in my 20s and I like my pants exactly like SeYung Noh's. I usually buy 32-34" waist pants with 32-34" inseams. I really only need the inseam to be 29"-30" but the extra length makes hemming them easier. I think hemming them with a v is trendier look and allows the pants to be a little longer without looking poorly fitted like Goose's.

insl01_graeme_mcdowell_drill.jpg

Any idea what brand slacks these are?

G-Mac by Kartel

This has been quite an entertaining read. I will say people will have different pant length opinions. Personally, I like my pants cutting right at the top of my spikes. I don't wear baggy clothing really ever. I think if you're a slimmer/shorter build you should stick to a slimmer fit and non baggy pants. If you're larger in stature, I think you should prefer the baggier option.

[quote name='ronnbee' timestamp='1364550853' post='6719331']
Houston open !
[/quote]

I can't stand Walrus Jr. These photos of the slob aren't helping.

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

Pants SHOULD break no more than a 1/2in. Graemes' pants are too long by about 1/2 inch as an example. The break should be a bit more subtle and you DEFINITELY do not wear it bunched up like McCoys.

pants-break-good.jpg

This is perfect for suit pants, for golf pants I prefer a full break as they're more casual in both fit and style.

Anything more than a full break starts to look bunched and sloppy.

For the record, I'm 28 and the guy who was posting about GQ trying to sell socks with the cut of their suiting in ads... really? First of all, socks are an important choice when putting on a suit anyway, and second, shorter, fitted suits are in fact what are preferred in more fashion forward environments. If you're working somewhere where the average age is 50ish and all of the men are wearing boxy, baggy Brooks Brothers suits then you may not want to wear a slimmer suit but they're perfectly acceptable in the right business environments.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='ronnbee' timestamp='1365499078' post='6791197']
even at the masters !
[/quote]

Rory needs to stop wearing the modern fit tech pants...they're just too slim at the bottom (and may be a bit long in the case of this picture). You'll never see TW wear "slim" pants - there's nothing dominant about a man wearing nut huggers. Not to mention it makes your feet look like boat paddles.

Golf slacks are NOT typically measured the same as formal dress slacks. They are cut longer because many professionals wear short roll-top socks while playing tournament golf. The reason for wearing roll-top socks are so they don't have to contend with traditional length socks sliding down the ankle and having to constantly pull them up when walking up to 36 a day. Another reason for long cut pant legs are there's less of a chance of getting grass into roll-top socks.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX