R1 V1 vs R1 V2 on the Launch Monitor: Which one performs better? Tuesaday Update: Getting fit for th

Lets hope I don't start too much trouble with this.

I want to first state a few things before we start:

• Taylormade did NOT send me this club to test and do a review; I want to get that out there first. I got this club the same way any of you can, I waited until no one was looking…and snagged it from the Tour truck at Pebble Beach.
  • The first half of this comparison and review were done without me ever even hitting the V2. To keep this unbiased I had one of the other Professionals here do a blind test with the clubs. He's never hit the R1 and he's a Titleist/Ping guy. So I'd say fairly unbiased. I didn't tell him which version he was hitting or what numbers he was getting. It was as blind and unbiased as I can do for you guys. At the bottom of this post will be my findings after I hit it, I wrote this first part and then jumped back out on the range/course to hit it myself.
  • The R1 was not fit to him, meaning we set the R1's identical to each other without fitting him and getting optimal launch angle, spin rates, shot shape and such. This is just a 10* vs 10* with a Proforce V2 shaft that he likes.

Okay so here's what we got…

As I said I acquired a V2 head to pair with the R1 I have and wanted to do a comparison test on the launch monitor to find our what exactly is different or better about the V2. It was sunny and high 40's today so pretty much a perfect Virginia day in February. I had one of the other Professionals come down to the range with me to do the test.

R1 V1 460cc:

10*

10g toe 1g heal

Neutral setting

Proforce V2 66g stiff shaft

R1 V2 420cc:

10.5* set to 10*

10g toe 1g heal

Neutral setting

Proforce V2 66g stiff shaft

R1 V2 weighs 8g less then the R1 V1

V2 is on the left in all the pictures

V1

First I gave him the V1, retail version, the one that is available to the public. He hit the first shot and just killed it. High 1 yard draw way out there. I asked him what he thought, how'd it feel, how'd it sound?

"Feels great, feels really good"

Yeah sorry guys, he didn't have a poetic description of the feel, but I mean you get it right, he liked it, a lot, you'll understand as the tests goes on.

"Sound was good, I get good a feedback knowing I caught it"

Ok so a little better description. Feel great, sounds good. No problems there. He likes the V1, not knowing which version it is.

He kept hitting, and the ball kept flying…far. I love that launch angle he was at, first 3 were all right on 12-13* and they were soaring high without ballooning. His fifth shot was his miss, that's right his miss was 10 yards short. He is the kind of guy when he misses a shot he immediately says "Nope." So when #5 came along all I heard was "Nope" and knew I finally got a miss that I was waiting for! I was excited because I really wanted to see the misses of each club. It was a high push right, just kept the face open through impact and threw it right. What!!! Only 10 yards difference? He then goes and say ok one more good one, and stripe it right down the middle his second best one of the test. So lets just say this club looks like it fits him pretty well.

V2

Next I got out the V2 head and swapped the Proforce V2 shaft into it at 10*. First thing I notice was the launch angle was higher, much higher, and the peak height was much much higher. I immediately knew ok if he were to play this club he would need to drop the loft a lot. As the shots went on you could see him trying to compensate the higher launch by getting some shaft lean and lower his launch.

I asked him what do you think?

"Nope" All I got was a nope, again great description I know.

"Felt worse, I liked the first one a lot more, and the sound was much better in the first one"

This really really surprised me, I thought for sure he would like the V2 better. From everyone I have talked to who hit it, that seemed to be the case, better sound better feel. In my ears it sounded better, sounded like a muted thud. Pro sound. But he said he liked the V1 sound better because it translated to a better feel. He said the V2 sounded like the face was cracked. What? My virgin tour issue driver has a cracked face? No it didn't but he just said it didn't feel "right" and preferred the louder V1 sound and smoother feel. He could feel the club head and feel the ball spring off it. With the V2 he said he couldn't feel the club head (because it was 8g lighter) and when he hit the ball it was a harsh feeling that didn't give him the best feedback.

Ok back to his shots. He was swing the club substantially faster with the V2, lighter head. Looking at the shots without a launch monitor you could tell the ball was launching higher and flying much higher, but looked as if it was going relatively the same distance, but everyone knows there much more into a driver then distance. After watching each shot sail I went to the launch monitor to see what the results and was surprised. A lot more spin, and much higher launch…well yes that makes sense but I thought this head was supposed to be a lower launching head. That and his smash factors…horrible. He couldn't find the center of the face, but his shots looked like he was flushing them. Again his fifth shot was his miss, and wow was it a miss. He hit it dead straight, but on the bottom of the face which caused the vertical gear affect and a ton of spin and loss of distance. An astounded loss of distance. 20 yards shorter then his average. That kind of what I was expecting, the big miss. I actually thought he would miss a lot more left or right but each shot was a straight as the V1. Well he is a pro.

Ok so the breakdown:

V2 he was swinging much much faster because of the lighter head, 4.5 mph faster club head speed. But it didn't translate into any extra distance because he couldn't find the center of the club face. His smash factors were poor, beyond poor. 137.8, that just doesn't play. If you go to the V1 he was getting fairly good smash factors, 146.5 which translated in 2.7 mph more ball speed despite the slower swing speed. That and what really surprised me was the spin rate, 500rpms more with the V2. That most likely was caused but his miss hits, if you look at his second shot with the V2 he had a great spin rate because that was his highest smash factor. So if only he could find the center of the club face the V2 may have actually been the better club for him.

But that's like saying blades would fit you game better if only you were a better ball striker. Blades don't fit your game because you aren't a good ball striker. Yes I think the V2 could have performed a lot better for him, but the problem is he couldn't find the center and couldn't let it perform for him.

It just wasn't the case for him, the V1 worked much better for him and felt much better to him. Remember I didn't give him any numbers or feedback when he hit the ball, it was all sound, feel, and ball flight to him. With all that he chose the V1 as the head he would play, and in fact it turned out to be the better performing head for him.

So which club did what best?

Swing speed:

V2 wins, it was 4.5 mph faster

Ball velocity:

V1 wins, 2.7 mph despite a much slower swing speed.

Spin:

V1 wins, spun 500rpms less all due to being able to strike the center of the face more often. Miss hits with the V1 still only spun 200 rpms more compared to the V2 spring 1300rpms more. But each miss hit is a bit different.

Distance:

V1 wins, combination of ball speed, launch angle, and spin rate were perfect. 7 yards longer. If only the center of the club face could have been found more on the V2.

Smash factor:

V1 wins, without question. Much easier to find the sweet spot.

Fairway finder:

Push, well technically the V2 wins because the only time he would have missed the fairway was with his blocked shot with the V1. Each club went relatively straight, which surprised me because I thought for sure the V2 would be sprayed around a little bit more. Miss hits went straight with the V2, but the varying launch angle and spins rates killed him.

Update:

Now that we have base line numbers we are going to go back and get him properly fit. Get the swing weight up to a D2-D3 range in the V2. The point was at first to find out what the difference is, now I want to get him optimally fit into each head and see which one performs better. I've got a feeling from all the tests and from the feedback from you guys we can get his smash factor up if he was actually able to feel the club head, and then we can really see how the V2 performs, and get an accurate comparison.

My question is, can we get him averaging 270 carry with the V2? Thats my goal, he was at 265 with the V1, and 258 with the V2.

I think we can squeeze out some extra yardage. So now things are just starting to get fun!

Biased version below!!! I'm joking, no bias here, but this part is my findings on the range and then onto the course. Again I did the test with the other pro and then wrote up the first part before running out and doing my tests.

V1

I started with the V1 and put 6 good swings on it before I came and took a look at my numbers. Ugh, not very good today. Last week when I did a test with my new Proforce V2 shaft I was at 150 ball speed and 257 carry, this week….nope. 146 ball speed and only 247 carry. So lets start off by saying not my best day on the range. Yeah yeah just trying to make myself feel better, ok onward. It's taken me awhile to find my perfect shaft because I was always launching it to high, I was 14-15* launch angle and I wouldn't get any roll on the course. With this Proforce V2 shaft I was at 13* just perfect. Low 2200rpm spin rate and an adequate 144.1 smash factor. My miss is low on the club face or towards the toe. I was getting a combo today, just couldn't quite find dead center.

V2

Onto the V2, finally I get to hit the club! First swing I may have been a bit amped, it was my fatest of the day and usually where I top off, 105mph. Wow did I get a hold of that one, again I didn't see these numbers when I was hitting but I knew I caught it good. Problem is, I would have been in the left rough. Which is my normal miss. I had 2 pretty good miss hits. #3 towards the toe, which was a baby duck hook. And #5 which was one of the low on the face, high spinner in the air going know where shots. If you take those 2 shots away my average would increase greatly. I got the complete opposite of what the other pro did. I actually was hitting the V2 better, and yeah I liked the sound a lot better. But he was right, it did feel harsher or like the face was cracked…again it was not cracked, just feels harsh. I missed left with this club, 3 of the 6 would have been in the left rough, only 1 was way left. The rest were playable. My normal shot is a draw so it makes sense that a club with less forgiveness would cause my draw to really draw.

Ok so my breakdown:

V2 actually wasn't any faster for me club head wise, my fatest was with the V2 but besides that one swing nothing stood out as being an overly easier to swing head. My ball velocity was up 2mph in the V2 which is the opposite of what the other pro was seeing. I actually had a better smash factor with the V2, but the launch angle was just too low to see real increase in distances. 3 yards longer doesn't equate to much on the course, but since I was catching the center of the club face, I knew I was leaving some on the table with the low launch angle. My furthest shot was by far with the V2, but the 2 miss hits really killed me, they were 16-20 yards shorter then my good hits. Its feast or famine with the V2, thats for sure.

So which club did what best?

Swing speed:

Push, V2 had the fastest swing speed of the test but nothing really stood out distinguishing it as the faster club head

Ball velocity:

V2 wins, it was 2mph faster because I was getting better center strikes with it.

Spin:

Push, V2's average was higher because of my one big miss hit with high spin.

Distance:

V2 wins, 3 yards further despite not optimal launch angle. Get the launch angle higher; V2 beats V1 by 6-10 yards.

Smash factor:

Push, they were within 1 point of each other and it was not a great ball striking display today.

Fairway finder:

V1, when I hit a draw with the V2 it had to much on it. It's a playable draw but I'd be in trouble if the hole called for a fade or straight ball. I have a 12g weight I'm going to put in the toe, which should help straighten it out a touch.

After all this testing I took it out of the course with a 12g weight in the toe to help straighten my wicked draw. After a few drives of finding the left rough I finally just said heck with it, I'm playing a Bubba shot, I know I know Bubba plays a fade off the tee, but I just mean I'm shaping a shot big time. I would play the draw off the right rough into the left side of the fairway. It wasn't a hook, it was a "pro draw." Starting right then turned and coming back left. Of course when I over cooked it look out, there's the hook. It got to the point where I just need to try to hit a soft draw and play for the big "pro draw" which is nice to watch but it may not quite be the smartest shot to play. Distance wise I couldn't tell that I was going any further or shorter. I was more focused on playing the shot and finding the fairway. Again it was nice to know that no matter what this ball was going to draw, the less forgiving head would turn the ball like crazy. I understand why pro's want to play the smaller head, they want to work the ball without have to pull or push it. I could hit a huge 30 yard draw without feeling like I was sacrificing distance or pulling the ball to get the draw. It makes you feel great…until the hook comes.

Do I now understand why pro's are playing this club? Yes I do, it allows them to work the ball with ease, but I know understand why they miss so badly sometimes.

Do I now understand why Taylormade didn't put this club on the market? Yes I do, you would have people calling this the least forgiving driver of all time. If I could hook this club 30-40 yards (a professional and low handicap) then imagine what a 12 handicap and slicer of the ball would do. This thing would send the ball 2 fairways to the right. But the whole point of a smaller head is for the better player to play not a 12 handicap player. So yes I can completely understand why lower handicappers are clamoring for the V2 to be released. It's a great sounded and ok feeling head that you can work with absolute ease. I always thought I was good at drawing the ball, but then I hit this and found out I had another 10 yards of draw I can work with. Which is good and bad.

So would I play the V2 over the V1, to be honest. Yes, yes I would. I liked the sound, I got over the feel, and I loved the ball flight...well the ball flight when I hit it well, not when I missed it left. And its a tour head, why wouldn't I want to play a rare tour head?

Is it in my best interest to play the V2 over the V1, I doubt it. My draw is exaggerated with the V2 which makes my miss even worse. At least I have only one miss, left. Who knows, maybe after 1 week of working with it I can find my groove, optimal launch angle, and perfect draw? I had to do the same thing with V1 when I got it, so who knows.

To be honest, I thought I wouldn't be able to see any difference in the V1 vs V2, but it all depends who hits it. I'm not sure that the V2 is any "better" then the V1, its definitely no worse, obviously. Do I think the V2 is "hotter" ummm I'm not sure. I saw better ball speeds, and the other pro would have seen better ball speeds if he was catching the face more square. To be honest I'm kind of torn, I don't think Taylormade is holding anything back and giving the tour players a better head with the V2, but something about it was just allowing me to feel like I was hitting it alot better, whether it was the big draw or the muted sound, something stood out and at least made me feel like I was hitting it better.

I at least know this, Taylormade didn't give us a crap driver with the V1. The didn't keep all the good stuff for the tour pros. The V2 didn't substantially out perform or under perform the V1. The V1 performed substantially better for the pro, and the V2 perform just overall better for me.

I hope this helps everyone!

TUESDAY UPDATE: Getting Fit for the V2

As many of you were saying, it wasn't apples to apples because the varrying swing weights, I agree it wasn't and I knew it wouldn't be, thats why I provided the info letting you know the varrying weight.

So I did some tweaking and got the heads matching

R1 V1: Swing weight of D6

R1 V1: Swing weight of D5

V2

So I went back out with the same pro and we went to get him properly fit. I handed him the V2 to start with and he took one practice swing and said "Oh yeah, much better" So we got the swing weight fixed, he can feel the club head and he likes the weight. First swing and as I watch the ball flight I think for sure he caught that one. I asked him what he thought? "Still not there, I missed that one and it just doesn't feel right." Smash factor again was lacking. Same with the next swing, he reverted to his signature "Nope" as soon he hit it. Knowing he missed it. Finally the 3rd shot was ok, decent smash factor and better ball speed, but still he said he didn't get all of it. After two more poor swings he said "I don't want to hit this anymore" and we stopped the fitting. I wanted to get his launch a touch lower but he just wasn't feeling it.

V1

First swing, BANG! "Oh yeah, I like this one." Crushed it, long and straight. Best one of the 2 day tests. But then he missed, his miss with the V1 were nearly the same as his good shots with the V2. He was launching it higher today, with both driver, and instead of fitting him we just decided to get 5 swings in to see the difference between drivers with the same swing weights.

Breakdown

Swing speeds were nearly identical in each test, but the ball speed was astonishing. 5mph slower with the V2 due to the lacking smash factor. It gave him 10 yards more carry with the V1, remember I said I thought I could get him to 270 carry with the V2 by bringing the swing weight up...nope not happening. I was disappointed, for sure I thought we could get the V2 to work for him with a higher swing weight, but he just wasn't feeling it.

My turn:

V2

When I hit it on the launch monitor yesterday I wasn't really impressed, wasn't hitting it overly well until I took it out on the course and then spent more time with it on the range after I was done. I got it dialed in at 9* with 12g weight in the toe and 4g in the heal bringing the swing weights nearly identical. Took 10 swings and then took a look at the results.

V1

I have the V1 set at 8.75* with 4g toe and 1g heal. I took some swings and hit it really well, got some great smash factors and some great ball speed numbers. But ever since hitting the V2 it just doesn't seem to be doing it for me.

Breakdown:

V2, loved it, launch angle was a touch low at 12.2* allowing me to only carry it 257 on average. My best carry came when I launched it at 14*, so ideally I may be looking at 9.5* to get closer to 13* of launch. When I miss, I miss and the spin rate goes way up compounding my miss even more. I love the way I can move the ball with ease, but then when I go and hit the V1 its almost funny how easily straight I can hit it. V1 was launching at a much better rate, and my spin numbers were ridiculously consistent because I kept finding the center of the club face.

So which club did what best after a fitting?

Swing speed:

Push/V2: The V2 I was swinging faster but possibly only because I was a touch winded when hitting the V1. Yes the V2 was faster, but at the same time I had some good swing speeds with the V1.

Ball velocity:

V2 wins, it was 2mph faster again despite a slightly lower smash factor. But I was swinging it 4mph faster and only gaining 2mph of ball speed? Its faster ball speed yes, but I think I could get a touch better with that.

Spin:

V1 wins, consistently low spin rates, on miss hits with the V2 the spin went way up. Not so much with the V1.

Distance:

Push, V2 could have been further with better smash factors and slightly higher launch but thats only if. V2 did win by 1 yard, but 1 yard is nothing in my eyes. Longest hit was with the V2.

Smash factor:

V1 wins, there was a few perfect smash factors, and the rest were great. V2 smash factors did not disappoint except for the fact that the V1 was better and I was leaving some ball speed on the table with my quicker V2 swing speed.

Fairway finder:

V1 wins, again. I mean like I said, after hitting draws with the V2, the V1 just feels like it made to go straight. I can play a huge draw with the V2, and then I go play a baby draw with the V1. Nothing wrong with that, except the fact that I now love the ball flight of the V2. I can land the V2 in the fairway without problem, its just when I miss with it, I miss big, thats the only reason it loses, because of the chance for the big miss.

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1361239167' post='6455183']
Thanks I'll stick with my retail. What makes it less forgiving other than size?
[/quote]

I mean I'm assuming just the fact that its a 420 cc head and not a 460 cc head. maybe the difference CG location, to be honest id just be speculating what makes it less forgiving, i just found i can work the ball like crazy. call it a blade vs a cavity back. you can work both but one just moves the ball a lot easier. the face doesnt look any smaller, but the sweet spot sure seems hard to find. i mean i was able to find it, when i did the feel was actually great, when i missed it just slightly is when i felt that harsh feeling.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Florida Gator' timestamp='1361238745' post='6455121']
Looks like the bottom line is get fitted.
[/quote]

And to learn how to hit the center of the club face. What's the swing weight of both drivers? Any hot melt in either? What is the serial on the V2? TD1,2,3? Makes no since to make this head if it sprays it, otherwise everyone on tour would hit the retail head. 99.9% of pros I have seen in person work the driver one way.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

Nice writeup. I thought the V2 heads could not be adjusted and only available in 3 lofts?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

If you added around the missing 8 grams of weight to the V2 it may have been a different story, particularly for finding the clubhead center imo.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1361239491' post='6455215']
Nice writeup. I thought the V2 heads could not be adjusted and only available in 3 lofts?
[/quote]

the version i got was a 10.5* head, The V2 accepts the V2 sleeve which a 1.5* sleeve and the V1 sleeve which is a 2* sleeve. and the V1 accepts both as well. So i pulled the V2 sleeve since it was metal and put it on the Proforce V2 shaft, then dropped the loft by .5* in the V2 and kept it standard in the V1.

does that explain it, i know it sounds a bit confusing.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Nice job buddy!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Qegurezi' timestamp='1361239658' post='6455241']
If you added around the missing 8 grams of weight to the V2 it may have been a different story, particularly for finding the clubhead center imo.
[/quote]

could be right, but by center i mean dead center, the sweet spot is small. so even just a touch off center gave us poor numbers. i was actually getting great numbers and finding the sweet spot just fine. except for a few shots

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='dplambert1' timestamp='1361240661' post='6455367']
You should try both with oban white and post those numbers?
[/quote]

oban white is shipping at the end of the week, they i will re test. more or less i wanted to get someone else hitting it and get their feedback so i could post it and have it not coming from me.

as for my numbers i really wasnt overly impressed with either so ill retest when the oban comes in and hopefully ill be able to add the 5mph of ball speed that i was seeing last week.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='cadillacfox' timestamp='1361240637' post='6455365']
Great write up CP... your content is always top-notch!
[/quote]

thanks bud, i appreciate it.

as i said i tried making this as unquestionably unbiased as i could by having someone elses numbers posted before i ever hit it.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='TLfan' timestamp='1361239480' post='6455213']
[quote name='Florida Gator' timestamp='1361238745' post='6455121']
Looks like the bottom line is get fitted.
[/quote]

And to learn how to hit the center of the club face. What's the swing weight of both drivers? Any hot melt in either? What is the serial on the V2? TD1,2,3? Makes no since to make this head if it sprays it, otherwise everyone on tour would hit the retail head. 99.9% of pros I have seen in person work the driver one way.
[/quote]

everyone on tour is by far a better golfer then me. serial is a td3, 10.5* head. 4g of hot melt low and center in the V2 and i hotmelted the V1 after this test so that doesnt matter. im not sure why you think this head sprays it? i didnt spray it, i missed left, i dont miss right at all. i work the ball right to left and all my shots moved that way. its just some of them moved super left.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='dplambert1' timestamp='1361241951' post='6455491']
When you get the oban you should send it my way and let me give both a try! Ha
[/quote]

haha how about i just come down to warm weather florida

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Great job Caesar. I would of loved to test it myself. Text me and tell me how you really got the V2.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Try both heads on another day with the weights set so both the head weights are equal at your favorite swingweight and go out on the course and hit a couple drives on each hole, even if you need to swap the heads. Use your "Game" ball and mark 8 balls 4-A & 4-B so you can ID which driver hit which shot. After you do the test on about 7 holes (maybe pick a deserted time of day on a course with open fairways), you should have a better profile on which combo is best. Stay off the launch monitor and play golf with these drivers, not driving range. Then you'll have it down to a more conclusive reult pattern. Play the driver with the best results for a few rounds and track the performance, then switch heads and see what happens in your next few rounds. This is the only way I know to do justice to trying 2 different driver heads.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70 Limited White X
Titleist TS2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 
Titleist TS2 21* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 

Titleist 718 CB 4-P DGS300
Titleist Vokey raw SM6, 50-8F, 56-12F, SM7 60-08M S300
Cameron Select Newport 2 with SS Flatso 1.0
Pro V1X

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1361241785' post='6455475']

everyone on tour is by far a better golfer then me. serial is a td3, 10.5* head. 4g of hot melt low and center in the V2 and i hotmelted the V1 after this test so that doesnt matter. im not sure why you think this head sprays it? i didnt spray it, i missed left, i dont miss right at all. i work the ball right to left and all my shots moved that way. its just some of them moved super left.
[/quote]

Cool deal, my miss is left as well, which sucks! Love to hit them with the Oban as stated above. Yea def a smaller sweet spot with 460 vs 420 head, but my favorite TM head to date was the 420 R11 Dot, whole face was hot IMO, not sure why this one is so unforgiving besides the head size, weird.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

[quote name='tp280' timestamp='1361243145' post='6455617']
Try both heads on another day with the weights set so both the head weights are equal at your favorite swingweight and go out on the course and hit a couple drives on each hole, even if you need to swap the heads. Use your "Game" ball and mark 8 balls 4-A & 4-B so you can ID which driver hit which shot. After you do the test on about 7 holes (maybe pick a deserted time of day on a course with open fairways), you should have a better profile on which combo is best. Stay off the launch monitor and play golf with these drivers, not driving range. Then you'll have it down to a more conclusive reult pattern. Play the driver with the best results for a few rounds and track the performance, then switch heads and see what happens in your next few rounds. This is the only way I know to do justice to trying 2 different driver heads.
[/quote]

i appreciate all your insight. but this wasnt a test to find the best driver for me. ill stick with V1 without a problem. this was a test to show everyone the difference between a V1 and V2 and get all the info I can for people wondering what the difference is with the Tour version and version that is sold in stores. there a lot of misconceptions out there that the V1 is inferior and i wanted to know if this was in fact the truth. so far, havent found it to be so. but the V2 does offer some things the V1 doesnt.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Thanks for the write up CP. Haven't had a chance to really do too much testing as this is what happens almost every year living in Pa. It's usually too cold when all the OEM's release next years weapons, but I appreciate getting info on some of those products from guys who have several players testing as it gives you a better reference as well. Thanks, TW

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

CP-

I'm not an expert on this, but wouldn't the V2 head weighing in at 8g lighter also make the shaft play stiffer in the V2? I have the 2-Dot version of this head and I had to add 2 10g weights to bring the club up to the correct swing weight and also make up for the lighter head.

For me, it's night and day between the V1 and the 2-dot head. My SS is pretty high, so maybe that's why I like the 2-dot better, but who knows.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745