R1 V1 vs R1 V2 on the Launch Monitor: Which one performs better? Tuesaday Update: Getting fit for th

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1363384197' post='6619321']
Guys,

Here's our front page story on TaylorMade "Tour heads " -- http://www.golfwrx.com/76747/the-inside-scoop-on-taylormades-tour-heads/

- Zak
[/quote]

Don't the weights sit further forward on the retail V1 version not the Tour V2 version?
Your photo and comments seems switched.
Photos further down show the one with the weights forward towards the face is the larger head, ie the retail V1.

[attachment=1586549:R1s.jpg]

[attachment=1586563:R1 soles.jpg]

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Kind of disappointed that after that long of a wait thats the information provided. I really would have liked to hear about why there are 3 lofts of the V2? Also that when the FA in the V1 is changed how much is the CG moved, and if its the same in the V2. It almost reads like the article was sent to taylormade to edit out the information they didnt want to talk about. It was very PC in my book. This is just my opinion. I appreciate the effort.

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 17Lo
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

[quote name='dplambert1' timestamp='1363394975' post='6620441']
Kind of disappointed that after that long of a wait thats the information provided. I really would have liked to hear about why there are 3 lofts of the V2? Also that when the FA in the V1 is changed how much is the CG moved, and if its the same in the V2. It almost reads like the article was sent to taylormade to edit out the information they didnt want to talk about. It was very PC in my book. This is just my opinion. I appreciate the effort.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yea... thats what we did. Sent it to TMag and let them edit. Sound like us right? Why? What the hell does it matter to us? I guess I need to buy some tour issued thicker skin. I thought zak did a great job. We tapped our limits on what was told to us and rather than speculate or use info that is from bad sources we provided all that we had while trying to limit subjectivity and data that is based on flawed measurement systems. I didnt see it as that big of a story originally actually. But I am used to it after 12 years of tour issue discussion and debate.

I rattled over 50 balls today back and forth between the 2 heads in the same shaft. The only thing I got out of the session was the tour head is more muted and obviously smaller.

As a poster said above.... its a fun topic nonetheless and while we try to be transparent and write good stuff we cant please all the people all the time. I am a tour snob and love to play it only for the placebo effect. As long as the numbers I get are as good as any other retail head I demo I will play, pay or beg for it.

I am a geek like that. But on that note it is a crying shame to paint a picture that a head performs better when it does not, only to profit from it. That is why we always support the truth here on GolfWRX and you will NEVER find us as a company present anything editorially that would conflict with that.

If we saw a compelling difference we would advocate it. We support the golfer here and need to stay unbiased as possible. Allow healthy debate and transparency. No not allow profiteering to spin the truth.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1363398230' post='6620835']
But on that note it is a crying shame to paint a picture that a head performs better when it does not, only to profit from it.
[/quote]

do you feel people are doing that with the V2?

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='dplambert1' timestamp='1363394975' post='6620441']
[/quote]

Thanks. Yea... thats what we did. Sent it to TMag and let them edit. Sound like us right? Why? What the hell does it matter to us? I guess I need to buy some tour issued thicker skin. I thought zak did a great job. We tapped our limits on what was told to us and rather than speculate or use info that is from bad sources we provided all that we had while trying to limit subjectivity and data that is based on flawed measurement systems. I didnt see it as that big of a story originally actually. But I am used to it after 12 years of tour issue discussion and debate.

I rattled over 50 balls today back and forth between the 2 heads in the same shaft. The only thing I got out of the session was the tour head is more muted and obviously smaller.

As a poster said above.... its a fun topic nonetheless and while we try to be transparent and write good stuff we cant please all the people all the time. I am a tour snob and love to play it only for the placebo effect. As long as the numbers I get are as good as any other retail head I demo I will play, pay or beg for it.

I am a geek like that. But on that note it is a crying shame to paint a picture that a head performs better when it does not, only to profit from it. That is why we always support the truth here on GolfWRX and you will NEVER find us as a company present anything editorially that would conflict with that.

If we saw a compelling difference we would advocate it. We support the golfer here and need to stay unbiased as possible. Allow healthy debate and transparency. No not allow profiteering to spin the truth.
[/quote]Well said sir!!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1363399188' post='6620983']
But on that note it is a crying shame to paint a picture that a head performs better when it does not, only to profit from it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the exact business model of the other website that starts with a B and ends with a G. But I don't blame anybody for hyping their tour head the dropped $1k on, it's only natural. They're not profiting from it though. I've been impressed with the way this site has moderated hyping product for personal profit and keeping things unbiased.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1363399908' post='6621097']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the exact business model of the other website that starts with a B and ends with a G. But I don't blame anybody for hyping their tour head the dropped $1k on, it's only natural. They're not profiting from it though. I've been impressed with the way this site has moderated hyping product for personal profit and keeping things unbiased.
[/quote]

That's kinda what I thought

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1363399908' post='6621097']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

CP- No I have not seen that with the R1 that much. But I mean that as a general statement, and where I stand on it. Meant to reinforce that we are here to help cut through the crap and allow golfers to read, watch and write the closes to the truth and facts that they can see anywhere. We want to house the best data over radio, print or tv here on WRX.

JJK947- Thanks!

Sorry for the honest response. I did not mean to upset anyone, I guess I expected to see me technical engineering data.

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 17Lo
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1363384184' post='6619315']
[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1363356275' post='6616389']
[quote name='whatshannenin' timestamp='1363327885' post='6615545']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1363306255' post='6613643']
What bothers me is if there are minimal differences in performance and those numbers are not properly exposed than WE as a community is doing a DISSERVICE to each other. Spending $1,000.00 for a head and get different result than you read is a crying shame for us and the game. Because of this reason we need to be vigilant to discover and be completely transparent.

Zak is writing the story and should be finished by next week but after talking to TMag I cant see the need to want a tour head. But we have not been able to design a proper DOE to analyze the two heads either. Meaning we cant objectively say of the performance is appreciatively different. There are a lot of variables.

Personally I just got one in and I will compare it but unless we measure the face angle of each head the experiment will be flawed. But one thing that I will hit by hitting them both on Flightscope is a apples to apples test to see if one is better for me over another.

I have only heard from TMag no appreciative differences in performance over the two. I am sure we will have more data than you ever wanted to read before this year is over. Not by myself or our editor team, rather from our membership. How many of us will read similar tests side by side. The data is just now starting to seep out.
[/quote]

I don't want to dig my own grave...but I'm a little confused as to why there is an outcry now? Every company has been offering Tour Only clubs for as long as I've been alive. I know you know this too. I'm all for educating the membership, but it seems as if Taylormade is getting singled out from all of the other companies that do the same thing. Personally, I don't see any foul from a company offering specialized heads that meet the demands of their paid endorsers if it helps sell similar style heads in retail trim. Too many people have bought the BSG Kool-aid and think that Tour Issue is ALWAYS better and they are getting shafted and to quote Mike Gundy "That's Not True!". What in actuality does a 10-30 handicapper stand to gain from a head designed to be played by someone who swings 20-30 MPH faster and hits the center of the face 90-95% of the time? I am on this site for at least a couple minutes a day and have been for several years, but I have pointed out in another post...while this is the best golf forum there is....total views and membership are still very low compared to total golfing population. That's not a knock on the site in any capacity. We are the golfing geeks of the world....ones who know more than companies used to not want us to know. I think the site influences some stuff with companies which is great....golf companies should listen to certain consumers....however.....what makes more sense: Releasing 2 heads that are going to fit 98-99.5% of the golfing population or one that fits %.002? How many people do these Tour Issue head legitimately fit? How many people that are paying $1k a head are truly seeing performance gain? Or are they just bragging in arbitrary forums to try and look cool amongst the clones? There is no way to tell completely, but either way....I don't see faults by either side of the argument.
[/quote]

I don't have an answer for "why now," but my response would be "why NOT now?" [b]As a membership, as a tight community of "golf geeks," we should not be proud of paying $1000 for a single driver head. I[/b]nstead, we should be outraged that a monopoly has been created that allows the market price of tour issue equipment to go so high (gauging). As I mentioned in my previous post, not all tour issue gear fits amateurs, and not all amateur gear fits tour pros, but why should we be required to pay two to three times retail value to find out?

As easyyy mentioned, if that data was available we wouldn't be left to guess, as you mentioned, one size doesn't fit all, and as I have mentioned, TaylorMade and all retailers for that matter, should either release tour issued equipment or not release tour issue equipment (avoiding the goofy situation we are now seeing). Why should the select few of us who are now "in the know" (as you have pointed out so eloquently) be required to pay outrages prices to [i]maybe[/i] get a performance gains from tour issue equipment? I understand that no one makes us buy anything, but if we want to play what the "big boys play" its no secret that we are required to "pay for the big toys!"

Wouldn't it be nice if this elite tour issue equipment was handled through standard retail channels, thereby allowing this equipment to be found in fitting carts around the country? Allowing "golf geeks" like you and I to know what fits us best before opening our wallets? That's how it works now with retail equipment, why not tour issue (again, if they are going to release it, then just release it!)? Better yet, if this were an option, we would have hundreds of less threads here won GolfWRX's discussing the tour issued conspiracy theories.... OK, maybe those will never go away. :)
[/quote]

What if they did release true Tour stuff and charged the prices the market is drawing now....maybe even slightly more, would that change people's minds? They would have to charge A LOT more to offer true Tour products to retail with all of the variables. You can't expect a company that makes clubs for 50-100 players on their staff to what ever degree that they need to then change directions and offer that same type of service to millions of people....that would be a total disaster. Other companies do offer Tour like services....Ping is the only major one that comes to mind though.....and possibly Adams in some avenues. Vokey, Cameron and Cleveland offer stamping and personalization, but not much beyond that. Scratch Golf and James Patrick are the only true one of a kind hand shape cavity and offset operations for irons and wedges. There are a ton of boutique putter companies as well. But what are there sales volumes and prices compared to a big company like Taylormade, Callaway or Titleist? There is a point of diminishing returns when you extend yourself too much in a market.
[/quote]

Zak's article said it best, tour heads are made on a machine with a low level of accuracy, no different than retail heads. It's clearly the cherry picking that makes them special, not the manufacturing process or high tolerance levels. That being said, offering them through standard retail channels would offer no additional challenges, not require outrages pricing.

I've said my peace, Zak confirmed my original statement, I love this forum, and with that my my friends.... Elvis has left the building. ;)

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

1. The V2 and V3 models of the R1 produce MORE spin not less than the V1 retail R1.

2. The tour pro needs more ball control not less. That means more spin is better for ball control. Imagine hitting a flier out of the rough and seeing the ball take off with little control....that is less spin. Not what the tour pro wants.

3. The R1 V1 has weight more towards the face and that equates to lower spin, straighter shots. Good for average joe six-pack golfer, but not good for tour pro.
Imagine a pro baseball pitcher throwing a baseball without seams! Yikes, he would have no curve balls, no control over the pitch at all! Not good. That is the R1 V1 driver...straight and low spin. The baseball with seams is the V2 & V3 drivers.

4. So, why doesn't TM sell a V2 or V3 driver....more spin = less distance most of the time especially for average golfer. Less distance = less sales = less $$$$$$ for TM. 95% of the retail golfing public is best served by the R1 V1.

5. The V2 & V3 drivers are not better.... they are different designs...period.

Bottom line: Why do the pros have the V2 & V3 available? This was the question posed.

The tour pro needs more control over the ball and that equates to more spin...enter the V2 & V3 drivers...smaller heads with weight further from the face...unlike the V1 retail R1.

Zak,
Glad to see you revised your article to correct some of the errors!

Here is another one that needs to be revised:
"Also, the farther forward the center of gravity is located in a head, the less spin a driver creates. So when a tour player loads up a tour head’s front-positioned weight ports with heavy weights, the drivers become even lower spinning, which can help players with tour-like swing speeds hit the ball even farther."
The driver with the front positioned weights is the R1 V1...not the V2 & V3!

Birdie Bobz-ier

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Somehow this whole debate was a bit of déjà vu:

Kaffee: *Colonel Jessep, did you order the Code Red?*
Judge Randolph: You *don't* have to answer that question!
Col. Jessep: I'll answer the question!
[to Kaffee]
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to.
Col. Jessep: *You want answers?*
Kaffee: *I want the truth!*
Col. Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: *Did you order the Code Red?*
Col. Jessep: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Bob,

I'm standing by my statement. You're right -- the weights are slightly "more forward" in the V1 head. That was an oversight in a caption which has been corrected. But that doesn't necessarily make the R1 V1 lower spinning than the V2.

We're convinced that when 10 grams are taken out of a structure and concentrated in the front of the head, that can't add more spin. Again, as I stated in the article, the V2 and V3 heads are mostly about a wider build spec. After that, visual preference and workability. After that, possibly small spin differences for a small amount of players.

The thing we have to go on is that TaylorMade said the center of gravity in the heads are "pretty much the same." So when tour players start throwing heavier weights in the head, that CG has to creep forward a little. Not much, but a little.

- Zak

Thanks guys for the writeup. I thought it was pretty informative and now I understand the differences. I am glad that golfwrx was willing to do this. I am still disappointed in TMAG, not in that they don't make tour issue available at retail, but in that they stubbornly refuse to make any effort to let the vast majority of the public know about it. I don't think it's acceptable for them to do this just because "everyone should know that the tour guys play different stuff." In my experience, this is simply not true, and, in any event, is not an appropriate excuse for their conduct. They rely heavily on Tour usage as a selling point, it's pretty much turned things around for them and brought them to the top, and for them to continue to imply that the tour guys are using the R1 and particularly the R1 "one loft" technology when they are not is deceptive at best. The thing is, there really isn't any need for them to hide anything. The V2 doesn't seem markedly better or anything, just different. A simple disclaimer in their commercials, like Callaway has done, would suffice. That way, they would be doing everything above-board.
Would anyone care if they found out the truth? I bet most would not. But the few that would have the right to know the truth when they are thinking about spending $400+ for a driver. The argument that "no one would care" is also invalid because, if in fact no would care, then what is the point of hiding the truth? Why not just be forthcoming?

It would be great if TMAG would discuss this or consider changing their practices, but I do not expect them to. Although they make very solid equipment, this situation has left enough of a bad taste in my mouth that I am not sure if I would want to give them my business in the future. There is so much great competition for equipment nowadays that I don't think I would be missing out too much. I will still try their stuff and if it is clearly better, probably buy it, but it will have to be clear. But for the last 3 years, this simply has not been the case. The R11 was average at best, the R11s was much improved but for me did not outperform the Fast 12, i20, and my current gamer (Launch Lab). Even last year's "killer product", the RBZ fairways, were outperformed clearly for me by the CB4 and XTD. This year, the R1, while still a very good club was only about middle of the road for me, and I've tried almost everything new (still haven't found a compelling reason to dump the LL). Taking an objective look at this has shown me more than ever that their products, while competitive, simply are not the best by any real measure. Anyway, I'm not saying they are a bad company or anything, and I still play a lot of Adams so I guess in some way I am still supporting them lol, but I guess I finally see why their marketing in general has turned off so many people. They'll continue to dominate, and I don't care much about that either way, but I am still very disappointed in how they have handled this and don't see them ever making any effort to make it right.

[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1363443772' post='6623245']
Bob,

I'm standing by my statement. You're right -- the weights are slightly "more forward" in the V1 head. That was an oversight in a caption which has been corrected. But that doesn't necessarily make the R1 V1 lower spinning than the V2.

We're convinced that when 10 grams are taken out of a structure and concentrated in the front of the head, that can't add more spin. Again, as I stated in the article, the V2 and V3 heads are mostly about a wider build spec. After that, visual preference and workability. After that, possibly small spin differences for a small amount of players.

The thing we have to go on is that TaylorMade said the center of gravity in the heads are "pretty much the same." So when tour players start throwing heavier weights in the head, that CG has to creep forward a little. Not much, but a little.

- Zak
[/quote]

Take another look at Caesar Palache's testing on page 1:

"When I hit it (edit V2 ) on the launch monitor yesterday I wasn't really impressed, wasn't hitting it overly well until I took it out on the course and then spent more time with it on the range after I was done. I got it dialed in at 9* with 12g weight (edit: lots of weight!) in the toe and 4g in the heal bringing the swing weights nearly identical. Took 10 swings and then took a look at the results."

"I have the V1 set at 8.75* with 4g toe and 1g heal (edit: less weight!). I took some swings and hit it really well, got some great smash factors and some great ball speed numbers. But ever since hitting the V2 it just doesn't seem to be doing it for me."

Here are the launch monitor results....

"Spin:
V1 wins, consistently low spin rates, on miss hits with the V2 the spin went way up. Not so much with the V1."

[attachment=1586995:V1 V2 spin.jpg]

I will stand by my comments that tour pros don't want less spin ability with a driver and the V2 & V3 will provide that as is evidenced by Caesars testing. Imagine Bubba Watson not being able to curve the ball!... yeah different driver, but same idea in that the driver these tour pros play needs to provide spin to curve that ball.

Bob,

Of course the spin was higher with the V2. Look at the results -- the swing speed was almost 3 mph faster!

And of course spin went up on the V2 on miss-hits. It's a lower MOI head.

Another problem -- launch was 1.7 degrees lower. And we're still only talking about 200 rpms more spin. No one can base a claim off that data. That's why we couldn't do it in the story. There's way too many variables and too much potential for tester error.

- Zak

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1363444968' post='6623341']
[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1363443772' post='6623245']
Bob,

- Zak
[/quote]

Take another look at Caesar Palache's testing on page 1:

"When I hit it (edit V2 ) on the launch monitor yesterday I wasn't really impressed, wasn't hitting it overly well until I took it out on the course and then spent more time with it on the range after I was done. I got it dialed in at 9* with 12g weight (edit: lots of weight!) in the toe and 4g in the heal bringing the swing weights nearly identical. Took 10 swings and then took a look at the results."

"I have the V1 set at 8.75* with 4g toe and 1g heal (edit: less weight!). I took some swings and hit it really well, got some great smash factors and some great ball speed numbers. But ever since hitting the V2 it just doesn't seem to be doing it for me."

Here are the launch monitor results....

"Spin:
V1 wins, consistently low spin rates, on miss hits with the V2 the spin went way up. Not so much with the V1."

[attachment=1586995:V1 V2 spin.jpg]

I will stand by my comments that tour pros don't want less spin ability with a driver and the V2 & V3 will provide that as is evidenced by Caesars testing. Imagine Bubba Watson not being able to curve the ball!... yeah different driver, but same idea in that the driver these tour pros play needs to provide spin to curve that ball.
[/quote]

my testing will always be flawed because they weren't the exact same loft, on the sleeve they were but i didnt digital gauge the faces to see the exact loft.

but 200RPMs really isnt much especially with a faster swing speed, you can also attribute the slightly higher spin rates to the misses I had with the V2, when I missed the spin went way up. causing my average to rise.

edit: nevermind zak just said exactly what i did haha

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Caesar, looks like we need to get you to do some more testing....lol
All I can say is when I get my new R1 V1 delivered I know for a fact that it will indeed be a low spin launch monster. :D

btw, if I cut a 1/2" off my R1 V1 that will reduce that D4 swingweight by about 3 points and that 6 grams then would be put back into the toe and heel by way of added weight..different weights. That in effect as with the V2 will move the CG forward and create an even lower spin bomber! Wow. :)
:.

- For an equivalent amount of weight added to the V1 ports and the V2 ports, the CG will be more forward in the V1 than the V2 since the weight ports are closer to the face in the V1. Thus if one creates a V1 driver of the length used by most tour pros, ie 45" or less I would estimate (normal V1 is 45.5") then that added weight in the ports for same SW will in fact make the CG of the V1 more forward than the V2....ie lower spinning as a result.

- As a result of using a shorter V1 driver, the Tour Pro were finding that increasing the weights in the ports to bring swingweight up to normal with the shorter V1 created a lower spinning driver...not what they wanted. This required a change in shaft to offset the decrease in spin... another negative. This then caused the need for the V2/V3 with the weight ports further from the face and less movement on the CG.

- Since changing weight in the ports of the V1 creates more spin changes than an equivalent amount of change in the V2/V3 due to the ports being closer to the face in the V1, the need for the differences in the V2/V3 became more evident as the weight ports are further from the face and influence spin to a lesser degree. This is critical to the pros that have a wide variance in SW needs without influencing spin rates as much as was found in the V1.

In Summary...

Swingweight changes to the V1 by adding/subtracting weight from the ports leads to larger changes in ball spin than equivalent changes in weight added to the ports of the V2/V3 (due to the V2/V3 ports being further from the face). This allows Swingweight changes in the V2/V3 without the need to counter large changes in ball spin.

Finally, the weights added/subtracted are small < 5% compared to overall head weight to ball spin is not affected by a significantly large amount especially for the public using the V1. Tour pros are more critical and fine tuned to smaller changes so it is more important to them and the V2/V3 helps alleviate those potential changes.

Birdie Bobz-ier

[quote name='dplambert1' timestamp='1363310878' post='6614139']
[attachment=1584955:meme.jpg]
[/quote]

Ok that's really really funny

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... Don't have nunbers yet but my v2 head arrived this weekend. Out of the gate - hands down the best feeling and sounding TMaG driver in years if not ever. Amazing! I have been very critical of some of the new offerings - and it is a shame the feel and sound is not the same in the retail head. Performance wise - low and low......! More to come!