If you were to buy a house in retirement where would it be?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1363135544' post='6600669']
One place worth considering is [b]Hot Springs Village[/b] here in Arkansas. It's the largest gated community in the US (26,000 acres). There are nine courses in the village, all very nice. Diamante is the one private course, and used to host a Nationwide Tour event. Lots of people from California and the Midwest have moved there. It's very secluded but also very affordable. Just very peaceful and relaxing... I love playing golf there!

[url="http://hsvpoa.org"]http://hsvpoa.org[/url]
[/quote] Are there lots available and what about senoir health care?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='Bubb' timestamp='1362351987' post='6540591']
If you want an easy sell for your wife, the two best warm-weather beaches I've seen in the contiguous United States are Siesta Key beach (Sarasota / Bradenton) and the beaches of South Walton between Destin and Panama City Beach. I would choose the latter because of the golf, but the winters will be significantly warmer with the former. I hope to be able to retire to the panhandle someday and my wife is fully on board.

Go play Camp Creek, show your wife the housing in that area, eat at Red Bar, McGuire's, and Louis Louis, and the rest will take care of itself. My only hard-and-fast advice would be to go for warm weather so you don't throw half of your life away. I'm still kicking myself for not making it happen when I had the chance. Life is too short to endure winters.
[/quote]Played Camp Creek 3 weeks ago That is avery nice area, I live in Pensacola,I also was in Kiawah 2 weeks ago for 3 days of golf that was spectacular but a little strong on wallet.

DM

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1363221931' post='6607619']
[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1363135544' post='6600669']
One place worth considering is [b]Hot Springs Village[/b] here in Arkansas. It's the largest gated community in the US (26,000 acres). There are nine courses in the village, all very nice. Diamante is the one private course, and used to host a Nationwide Tour event. Lots of people from California and the Midwest have moved there. It's very secluded but also very affordable. Just very peaceful and relaxing... I love playing golf there!

[url="http://hsvpoa.org"]http://hsvpoa.org[/url]
[/quote] Are there lots available and what about senoir health care?
[/quote]

The website above has a link to their visitor's guide, which includes info on healthcare and available real estate. There are large hospitals in Hot Springs and Benton, which are within about 20 min. from the Village (again, it's a huge community, so it depends on where you live as to which place is closer.) Benton is 18 miles from the West gate, Hot Springs is maybe 10 miles from the main East gate. There are also health clinics and facilities within the Village gates.

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1363112667' post='6598193']
I would consider The Villages, in central Florida. Lots of golf. I've been there once, and am returning with some friends. It's not for everyone, for sure.
I live in Upstate NY, not crazy about the taxes, but I love the Finger Lakes. My retirement plan is to live on Keuka Lake, and then winter somewhere warm and golfy. I just don't think I could handle Florida 12 months per year.

But if you want lots of golf, The Villages has it, and, typical for Florida, Easter to Thanksgiving, it gets pretty empty. I have a few winters left before I retire, so I am planning on doing a bit of exploring.

Good luck with your research, and keep us posted on what you find, what you like, and don't like.
[/quote]

Lodestone,

I am from WNY, now live out west. Had a college friend from Penn Yan.

Anyway, my Dad has a place near The Villages and I have a client that lives in The Villages. I have been there a half a dozen times. I might be able to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks, Pearl. I actually don't have any questions about The Villages, though. I've been there, have friends there, and have researched it heavily.

My current feeling is that I don't want to own a home there, but may spend some time there eventually. I have a place on Keuka about 12 miles south of Penn Yan, and that will be HQ. I want to maintain flexibility in the winter time- Florida, Puerto Rico, Arizona, Cabo...Costa Rica, I'll gather no moss in the winter, I hope.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Miami Beach. Great beaches, wonderful restaurants, lots of great golf both public and private nearby. Tons to do other than golf (if you bother).

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

[quote name='Lodestone' timestamp='1363567614' post='6632541']
Thanks, Pearl. I actually don't have any questions about The Villages, though. I've been there, have friends there, and have researched it heavily.

My current feeling is that I don't want to own a home there, but may spend some time there eventually. I have a place on Keuka about 12 miles south of Penn Yan, and that will be HQ. I want to maintain flexibility in the winter time- Florida, Puerto Rico, Arizona, Cabo...Costa Rica, I'll gather no moss in the winter, I hope.
[/quote]

Panama is big right now, Cabo was great.........looks like wall to wall houses and condos now. Hawaii is always good too.

Do you want winters to be "not cold", mild, or hot?

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1363715552' post='6644481']
[quote name='againstthegrain' timestamp='1363210989' post='6606507']
I don't think you can top Monterey, CA.
[/quote]

The golf is great, but it is very expensive and cold all year.
[/quote]

I find it a huge relief from the heat in the summer. Yeah it is expensive, but one can dream. lol

Only 3 places: Texas, North Carolina or Arizona.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1363956087' post='6663111']
I've been wondering about Wilmington, NC. Weather seems good most of the winter. There are a few courses to choose from.

How is the municipal course in Wilmington? It's a Ross design, and reasonably priced.
[/quote]

Wilmington is nice with several good public courses. On the private side you have Landfall but you must live there to join. Wrightsville Beach is 10 min and home prices are reasonable. The Port City would be a nice choice.

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1363208930' post='6606309']
[quote name='clinville' timestamp='1362838449' post='6576799']
we like north myrtle beach.
[/quote]

I'd like to hear more than that. What do you like about North Myrtle Beach and what don't you like about North Myrtle Beach?
[/quote]

Myrtle and North Myrtle are really the same thing. You can hardly tell when you go from one to the other. More courses up North however. The good is you have tons of things to do. The down side and its huge are the crowds and traffic in the summer. Crazy crowded. More housing choices in N Myrtle so its the best place to look for homes.

[quote name='GreggM' timestamp='1364398783' post='6706781']
My brother retired and lives in the Villages near Ocala, say or think what you want but I'm headed there myself.
[/quote]

If I "were" to buy a house in retirement, I would go to The Villages. I think. Lots to do, not just golf. But my wife isn't crazy about it. Yet. No way I'd want to live there year 'round. I crunched numbers on buying vs. renting and if I wasn't going to be there 7 months, renting was cheaper. And I'm not a big fan of owning a home and leaving it empty, especially in the Florida climate, for months at a time.

Back to the OP's question, are you talking about a "winter" home, or a 12mos/year relocation?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1364474501' post='6712833']
How is the winter weather in Asheville? Have driven through (will tomorrow actually) but never stayed there. Based on what I have read, there is a lot of golf and the mountains are beautiful. I could see having a summer home there and a winter place a little further south.
[/quote]

Don't plan on playing a lot of golf in Asheville during the winter. Too darn cold. Home prices have shot up over the past decade even though the downturn did pull them back a little. Great town but it has its quirks.

[quote name='retep' timestamp='1362266008' post='6535485']
So, we are 15 years out more or less. Might be able to swing a place now. Figure $500k in todays dollars. we aren't rich, i sold one lung and a kidney. Ha!
Wife loves the ocean. We both love golf and tennis. California is just too much $$$.
Where in Florida ?
Charleston?
Wilmington?
Savannah?
I must be missing a bunch of locations and ideas. Help! We are going to a southern living thing at some point.
[/quote]

I have a condo on the ocean in Palm Coast between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. The real estate market has bottomed but not yet much rebound. Lots of great properties and golf opportunities nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='retep' timestamp='1362266008' post='6535485']
So, we are 15 years out more or less. Might be able to swing a place now. Figure $500k in todays dollars. we aren't rich, i sold one lung and a kidney. Ha!
Wife loves the ocean. We both love golf and tennis. California is just too much $$$.
Where in Florida ?
Charleston?
Wilmington?
Savannah?
I must be missing a bunch of locations and ideas. Help! We are going to a southern living thing at some point.
[/quote]
I'm out 1 year from retirement and have a place in Naples. It is located in Lely Resort equal distant from Marco Island and downtown Naples. It has two very nice public courses and one private with access to all three courses. We belong to the Players Club & Spa (requirement for most homes in Lely) That is a golf course-less country club with reciprocal privileges with other country clubs.
Homes range from under $200,000 to $2,000,000.
This area is beautiful and has many golf courses, country clubs and restaurants.
If you need excitement you can be in Miami Beach in under 2 hours.
One suggestion is to rent and not to buy until you plan to use with regularity or want to lease out part time. I'm figuring our attached Villa which cost $400,000 6 years ago is now worth $200,000 and has cost us $30,000/yr or $60,000/yr with depreciation.
PS Naples (south Florida) is more reliably in the 70's at Christmas than any other part of the country.