2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anybody NOT switch from the Ping i20 to the Anser or G25? (drivers)

LBlack14

I will take the shaft. Sent pm.

Reason I ask is a built an i20/ RIP Beta this winter and have only got to hit it at the range once and from that session I LIKEE! Going to Florida in 3 weeks and can't wait to take it with. Just seems like there's alot of folks switching and I'd like to know what you found better in the latter 2 or are we just switching to the "latest & greatest"?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

(edit - I am speaking about the fairway woods here because I was too stupid to realize we were discussing drivers)

I played the i20 14* with UST and my 910f beat it back out of the back in distance by a substantial amount...and while distance isn't everything, my 910 was also straight. (and I love PING woods)

...then comes the Anser 14.5 which was very long but faded on me regularly. My golf course plays right to left so I need to call on a draw or even straight from time to time which the Anser couldn't always do without standing on my head.

Then comes the G25 fairway line which solved the fadeey problem for me, and was just as long as the Anser...backed up by the fact that Westwood, Mahan, Watson (4w), Thompson, and Charles Howell III instantly bagged after a short range series. Votes of confidence in my book.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

For some reason I thought you were talking about fairway woods - I apologize.

BUT I will say the i20 [i]driver[/i] NEVER came close for me. And I also had it with RIP alpha, then HD6 shafts in 8.5* loft. Ball speed with i20 was low and never compared to anything else out there from any company. Anser was much hotter and lower spin. G25 is similar to Anser in my hands (driver) in total distance - but G25 is straighter - slightly higher flight.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Michael Thompson hasn't - and he won last week with his i20.

I love the i20 driver (8,5 w/ Motore Speeder) - long, forgiving, square....its just perfect. I really think it comes down to fitting - all of them are great. Lee Westwood only recently gave up his G10. I'm really confident with it. It's comfortable.

I actually have the 3w too - which is pretty unusual, for me, to play 'matching woods'. The 3's a great stick too. Maybe not the longest out there, but plenty long and forgiving - and the profile is just right for me.

i20's - great great great clubs.

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1362522945' post='6553829']
I should've clarified, I was speaking of the driver, sorry.
[/quote]

I just bought one, I hit it against all drivers I had access to including G25 and Anser, but standard shaft length could have helped as it is shorter.

Very nice driver, I do not think you gain anything with the newer Pings...or any other 2013 driver at this point.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1362524723' post='6553981']
[/quote]

I misspoke - I was referring to fairways regarding Thompson.

I think we all get caught up in the distance frenzy - and I'd rather hit a 7 iron into the green from the center of the fairway rather than a 9 iron into the green from deep rough, certainly. And it's all confidence. If someone loves their gamer, that's the better club even if it's 10-15 yards shorter. (And it may not be)

but here is some added info for you:

"In tests I've done (the i20) doesn't perform quite as well as the other two (Anser, G25)" Mark Crossfield

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7op5UXC547E[/media]

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I cannot contribute to the topic as i have not hit the Anser or the i20 and have only hit the g25 into a net after a 2 month no swing layoff but I wish I was going to Florida in a few weeks.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I've hit the i20 and the g20 and both performed great for me, but the closed face on the g20 was a turn off for me. I saw the Anser and G25 and both look better, but overall performance did't warrant a new purchase. The i20 is a very good driver.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 3 Wood w/ TD-70-S

TaylorMade Stage2 Tour 19* Fujikura Tour Spec VC 6.2

Mizuno Fli hi 4-w/Steelfiber 80-S

Mizuno 225, 5-PW with Modus 105-S

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Titleist ProV1/ 

I dunno....i'm not sure I follow that guy in the video. I like that he says hit'em all and see what you like - and he clearly likes the G25. I sort of feel the opposite - i find the i20 more appealing than the Anser, and both more so than the G25.

They're all good - it's likely that the stock setup in g25 was better for him. I'd like to see the numbers he's talking about. I'd think whatever he plays is custom fit for him (wonder why he didn't comment on which positions he plays the adjustable ones in?)

I love batman....but I need more when it comes to fitting.

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1362527432' post='6554245']
I dunno....i'm not sure I follow that guy in the video. I like that he says hit'em all and see what you like - and he clearly likes the G25. I sort of feel the opposite - i find the i20 more appealing than the Anser, and both more so than the G25.

They're all good - it's likely that the stock setup in g25 was better for him. I'd like to see the numbers he's talking about. I'd think whatever he plays is custom fit for him (wonder why he didn't comment on which positions he plays the adjustable ones in?)

I love batman....but I need more when it comes to fitting.
[/quote]

He doesn't typically use those superhero analogies when it comes to clubs, he just is referencing the matte black - he thinks it's cool. Crossfield is a pretty solid source of information. Very popular around here.

Also - the TFC shafts are all birds of a feather. They're all medium-high torque but reasonably good stock shafts. They may vary a touch but since the G20 and up through today, they're all very similar.

I will say the i20 is the best sounding of the three and it's not even close - it's got that older hard boiled egg splat sound I love. I just can't keep from spinning it at 3200 with any shaft. It's the highest spinning of the three coupled with my bad swing.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

The only reason that I switched from my i20 w/Motore Speeder 6.2 (non tour spec version) to the Anser was because of the forgiveness. I found it to be more forgiving on toe hits (which is my miss) so I made the jump. However, the Anser spins a little less than the i20 so I'm trying to find the right shaft combination for my swing.

I've tried the G25 but didn't care for the looks nor the stock shaft. However, wtiht the right shaft who knows if I'll switch again? Ping says that the G25 is their most forgiving driver and every marketing claim that they've made about their drivers since the i20 has held true for me. So, I'm intrigued.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1362525543' post='6554065']
I cannot contribute to the topic as i have not hit the Anser or the i20 and have only hit the g25 into a net after a 2 month no swing layoff but I wish I was going to Florida in a few weeks.
[/quote]

C, we have a 4 bed 3 bath town house between Orlando and Tampa and can't find anybody to go and stay....FOR FREE! Gonna play with a couple FGIers while I'm there.

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1362525228' post='6554027']
[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1362524723' post='6553981']
[/quote]

I misspoke - I was referring to fairways regarding Thompson.

I think we all get caught up in the distance frenzy - and I'd rather hit a 7 iron into the green from the center of the fairway rather than a 9 iron into the green from deep rough, certainly. And it's all confidence. If someone loves their gamer, that's the better club even if it's 10-15 yards shorter. (And it may not be)

but here is some added info for you:

"In tests I've done (the i20) doesn't perform quite as well as the other two (Anser, G25)" Mark Crossfield

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7op5UXC547E[/media]
[/quote]

Love Mark Crossfield's reviews, all of them.

[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1362531725' post='6554651']
[/quote]

C, we have a 4 bed 3 bath town house between Orlando and Tampa and can't find anybody to go and stay....FOR FREE! Gonna play with a couple FGIers while I'm there.
[/quote]

Bummer! I wish I could go. I know you'll have a great time and excellent WITB pics. Those Adams have been in there for quite sometime.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Ive hit all 3 and the i20 is the longest of the 3. In fact if I were a little more accurate with my swing right now I would have bought the i20 driver, but the anser was more forgiving, so thats what I went with.

I actually like the sound of the i20 better than any of the other 2, but only slightly longer than the anser. So with a hair less distance and much more forgiveness, thats what I went with.

After switching from the G20 Im now having swing path problems, but all my contact is right in the center of the face which means Im coming square to the ball at contact, but something else is jacked up now since Ive switched. FML.

Pic is my Anser 8.5 ahina stiff bought about 2 weeks ago

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1362533343' post='6554795']
[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1362531725' post='6554651']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bummer! I wish I could go. I know you'll have a great time and excellent WITB pics.[size=5][i][b] Those Adams have been in there for quite sometime.[/b][/i][/size]
[/quote]

I can't find anything easier to hit in a fwy wood and they're plenty long.

I love my 9.5* i20 with the Fubuki K in it. I've hit several different drivers recently against it and it still remains in the bag. The closest to knocking it out was the Anser so I found one on the BST in 10.5*. I'm looking forward to comparing these side by side and hoping the higher launch and slightly lower spin on the Anser will give me a few yards + forgiveness. I did not like the G25 at all. For some reason it actually looks way open at address whereas the i20 and Anser both looked square. Anyone lay the G25 on the ground and think its open like I do?

[quote name='pingpring' timestamp='1362541709' post='6555647']
I love my 9.5* i20 with the Fubuki K in it. I've hit several different drivers recently against it and it still remains in the bag. The closest to knocking it out was the Anser so I found one on the BST in 10.5*. I'm looking forward to comparing these side by side and hoping the higher launch and slightly lower spin on the Anser will give me a few yards + forgiveness. I did not like the G25 at all. For some reason it actually looks way open at address whereas the i20 and Anser both looked square. Anyone lay the G25 on the ground and think its open like I do?
[/quote]

Huge amounts of loft can look open. Did you look at an 8.5 or 9.5? Or rather a 10.5/12?

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie