Skycaddie Membership Ripoff

jaiello

I have a Skycaddie SGX and I love it. This is not a topic to debate the merits of the various GPS units or which one you think is the best. I love my Skycaddie and do not mind paying the $50 per year membership. My issue is with the Skycaddie method of renewal. My previous membership expired on January 9, 2013. Since I live in NJ and do not play much in the winter here I decided to wait to renew until I need it. I am headed off to Phoenix next week to play and decided it was time to renew. I renewed my membership on 3/8/2013. My new expiration date is now 1/9/2014. That's only 10 months! They took my March renewal and picked up my membership where it expired instead of when I renewed. This to me is a rip off. They must be doing it to everyone. Supposed I waited until July? Would I then only get 6 months? I opened a session with them today via the computer and the guy I "spoke" to, after he tried his best to not understand my issue, promised to have this corrected. I have to wait five days until I can check. I think it sucks that I have to contact them to fix this. Now please don't post here and tell me about other devices that do not require membership or other devices you think are better than the Skycaddie. That is just off topic. I have already said that I love my SGX and do not mind paying the membership. I just want a year when I renew for a year not a prorated amount. Just wondering if any of you other Skycaddie guys have noticed this rip off? What did you do about it?

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood and Heavenwood
Callaway XR 4 Hybrid and 5 Hybrid
Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW
Callaway MD3 54S and 60W Wedges
Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser Counterbalance Putter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you 100%, I would hope they would do the right thing and change you expiration date. Not that familiar with Skycaddie...do your courses disappear when your membership expires or can you just not add new courses?

Ping G430 LST (GD AD IZ} 10° 
Titleist TSr 2 FW (GD AD DI) 14.5°
Titleist TSr 2 Hybrid (GD AD DI) 18° 
Ping i530 5-UW (KBS Tour S 120)
Ping S159 52° & 57°, Glide Pro 62°
Ping PLD Anser D 

I also have a SGX, and don't mind paying the membership fee.

This is just one of their standard business practices that others also complain about. You'd never know though, because they delete posts like this on their forums.

If you were to buy their 3 year membership and your unit broke, tough luck, no refund of the unused portion either.

Yes they do it to everyone, and after 5 days, no you won't be getting this corrected.

There's nothing you can do about it, either pay the bucks, or find another company to do business with.

Once it expires, you won't be able to use the courses they mapped, but can continue to map your own and use those.

op
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but....

1. let the membership expire and you'll get something like an extra 20 or so days before device deactivates.
2. once device deactivates, change your membership to the free "map your own course" option.
3. stick device in cupboard until needed again and then upgrade your membership to a paid option , after which you will get a full 12 months usage.

J

[quote name='Jens0n' timestamp='1362972373' post='6587105']
op

1. let the membership expire and you'll get something like an extra 20 or so days before device deactivates.
2. once device deactivates, change your membership to the free "map your own course" option.
3. stick device in cupboard until needed again and then upgrade your membership to a paid option , after which you will get a full 12 months usage.

J
[/quote]

I paid my membership the first time i used it. Loaded the courses I play, and never paid again. Going on 4 years without paying again. Never will, unless I go somewhere I do not currently have on the device.

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1363010452' post='6588691']
[quote name='Jens0n' timestamp='1362972373' post='6587105']
op

J
[/quote]

I paid my membership the first time i used it. Loaded the courses I play, and never paid again. Going on 4 years without paying again. Never will, unless I go somewhere I do not currently have on the device.
[/quote]

I've had the SG5 for as long, iirc in the early days there was a software update every other month or so, maybe you got lucky and missed a update including "forced deactivation" but the device does deactivate after a period, I know this because it's happened to me.... twice ;)

SKycaddie has nice products, but their customer service is complete crap. They could have a lot of repeat business but many people drop out after a year or two. They really count on new business, and the day will come when that dries up. They will eventually have to make changes to their business model.

I would never invest in them long term (unless they make changes).

this is the same reason they lost me as a customer...

fwiw, the first time they did this to me i was deployed, and they added my months back due to "extenuating circumstances"...

so, find you some "extenuating circumstances", after all, you did pay for 12 months, so who cares if you lie to them...they are a crappy company.

Although I will continue to blast their shady business practices, and how they're heavy handed in their forums, hear me out.

If they cleaned up their act, and actually spent time mapping user requested courses, issuing timely updates, etc. I would have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL in continuing to pay a yearly membership fee. That SG5 hasn't had an update in nearly 2 years.

How do you expect the company to remain profitable?

These apps where you pay a one time very low fee will soon run out of enough new customers (money) to be able to afford to continue mapping courses, or updating their software, paying their developers, front line personnel, etc. to stay viable.

[quote name='genemcg' timestamp='1363017640' post='6589515']
SKycaddie has nice products, but their customer service is complete crap. They could have a lot of repeat business but many people drop out after a year or two. They really count on new business, and the day will come when that dries up. They will eventually have to make changes to their business model.

I would never invest in them long term (unless they make changes).
[/quote]

I'd like to believe they rely on new business.. but that would mean mapping courses should be a priority which it is NOT... if i didn't have 2 yrs left on my membership i'd get something else... or just upgrade my laser

I don't have a problem with paying the membership fees, but when your device craps the bed for no reason, they are shortsighted. They should see the value in renewed memberships, but they don't.

For example, I have a Kuerig coffee maker that wasn't working properly and was well out of waranty. I called and they sent a new one no quesitons asked because they know I will buy keep buying those little pods.

My SGX quit working (at the same time as many others, so there seemed to be an underlying issue) and they told me I was out of luck. I could buy a refurbished one or a new one. If they gave me a free replacement, I would speak fondly of them and keep paying the annual dues, probably for many years. But instead, I won't use Sky Caddie at all and I tell most people not to use them.

Can't see the forest for the trees.

Update: I contacted Sky Golf on Saturday and was told that I would get the full year of my subscription. I contacted them today because it had not happened yet and was told that my membership would be updated today but that in the future I need to update my membership on the new expiration date. I pointed out that I could chose to renew whenever I want and that I did not need to renew when my current membership expires. The person on the phone today pointed out to me that the terms are in my membership and they this is what I am signing up for when I accept their membership. Sky Golf's practices are predatory and need to be exposed to everyone with a Skycaddie. I will make it my personal mission from now on to tell everyone I see with a Sky Caddie about the bad faith practices used by Sky Golf until they change their practices.

Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW

I would love this to be tested in law....how is it that they can make you pay for a service (or part of) that you have no possibilty of using??? unless you have a time machine that is !

What would happen if you lapsed your membership (due to injury) and then went to renew at day 345....or exactly one year later.......don't tell me that if you went 18 months and you went to renew, would you only get 6 months 'membership' for the cost of two years fees??????

If it lapsed, couldn't you just de-register the device from your account (as if selling) and just set up a new account as if you were a new buyer

[quote name='jaiello' timestamp='1362872845' post='6579967']
I have a Skycaddie SGX and I love it. This is not a topic to debate the merits of the various GPS units or which one you think is the best. I love my Skycaddie and do not mind paying the $50 per year membership. My issue is with the Skycaddie method of renewal. My previous membership expired on January 9, 2013. Since I live in NJ and do not play much in the winter here I decided to wait to renew until I need it. I am headed off to Phoenix next week to play and decided it was time to renew. I renewed my membership on 3/8/2013. My new expiration date is now 1/9/2014. That's only 10 months! They took my March renewal and picked up my membership where it expired instead of when I renewed. This to me is a rip off. They must be doing it to everyone. Supposed I waited until July? Would I then only get 6 months? I opened a session with them today via the computer and the guy I "spoke" to, after he tried his best to not understand my issue, promised to have this corrected. I have to wait five days until I can check. I think it sucks that I have to contact them to fix this. Now please don't post here and tell me about other devices that do not require membership or other devices you think are better than the Skycaddie. That is just off topic. I have already said that I love my SGX and do not mind paying the membership. I just want a year when I renew for a year not a prorated amount. Just wondering if any of you other Skycaddie guys have noticed this rip off? What did you do about it?
[/quote]

I cant argue with you on this one at all!!! that is very shoddy renewal policy! Even though i live in SWPA i always renew early but i get the 3 year one to save money. Wife likes getting things cheaper.
To point out it is in the fine print is crappy, the should want to keep you as a member since you are will to pay anyhow, what is the difference. I don't get it!!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

SKG's ongoing issue always seems to come back to the annual membership. It's never been appealing to me as a membership so I got one as a gift years ago and returned it without even opening it. Try another GPS device. Many are within 1-3 yards of each other so unless you're a Tour-level player it won't make a difference.

[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1363117182' post='6598717']
SKG's ongoing issue always seems to come back to the annual membership. It's never been appealing to me as a membership so I got one as a gift years ago and returned it without even opening it. Try another GPS device. Many are within 1-3 yards of each other so unless you're a Tour-level player it won't make a difference.
[/quote]
Not a helpful posting. I am complaining about losing two months of membership and your solution is to buy a new one and spend hundreds more. I have already stated that I like the Skycaddie and I don't mind paying for membership. What I object to is the expiration date rip off they perpetrate.

Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW

[quote name='rpawly' timestamp='1363099629' post='6596703']
ack no good :/ Laser FTW
[/quote]

Is English your primary language?

Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW

[/quote]

I hold a membership to a upscale resort golf club and the same thing happened to me. No, I did NOT like it. But it seems where we differ is I was annoyed at myself for letting it lapse and letting a few months go by before signing up again. If you had renewed before it expired, you wouldn't feel as you do In other words, it was your fault, as it was my fault. NOT the clubs or Skycaddie - which I have subscribed to for a number of years as well. If you want a full year, pay before the year subscription expires. Only other option is to find another GPS service, because that is not Skycaddie's model.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='jaiello' timestamp='1363130322' post='6600133']
[/quote]
Not a helpful posting. I am complaining about losing two months of membership and your solution is to buy a new one and spend hundreds more. I have already stated that I like the Skycaddie and I don't mind paying for membership. What I object to is the expiration date rip off they perpetrate.
[/quote]

If you like the device and don't mind paying an annual fee, but dislike their membership practices, you basically have two choices, accept it or take your money elsewhere.

Complaining about it here only provides you a forum to vent a little. If you think they are going to change their membership practices based on customer feedback and what's posted in GolfWRX, better think again. Heck they are the kind of company that deletes complaints within their own forums. It seems they are arrogant and don't really care, and maybe at one time since they had little to no competition they could be. They really remind me of a lot of other businesses that once owned the market, then were incapable of changing to meet competitive forces and ultimately went bankrupt.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1363130875' post='6600191']
[/quote]

I hold a membership to a upscale resort golf club and the same thing happened to me. No, I did NOT like it. But it seems where we differ is I was annoyed at myself for letting it lapse and letting a few months go by before signing up again. If you had renewed before it expired, you wouldn't feel as you do In other words, it was your fault, as it was my fault. NOT the clubs or Skycaddie - which I have subscribed to for a number of years as well. If you want a full year, pay before the year subscription expires. Only other option is to find another GPS service, because that is not Skycaddie's model.
[/quote]
Fair point. I respectfully disagree but you make a fair point. My thinking was that I wasn't using it in January or February so I would renew when I needed it. If I subscribe to Golf Magazine and let my subscription lapse for two months, when I renew the subscription begins at the point of the renewal. I agree this is not the Sky Golf business model. My hope was to expose this unscrupulous practice for others to become aware.

Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1363130979' post='6600203']
[quote name='jaiello' timestamp='1363130322' post='6600133']
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you like the device and don't mind paying an annual fee, but dislike their membership practices, you basically have two choices, accept it or take your money elsewhere.

Complaining about it here only provides you a forum to vent a little. If you think they are going to change their membership practices based on customer feedback and what's posted in GolfWRX, better think again. Heck they are the kind of company that deletes complaints within their own forums. It seems they are arrogant and don't really care, and maybe at one time since they had little to no competition they could be. They really remind me of a lot of other businesses that once owned the market, then were incapable of changing to meet competitive forces and ultimately went bankrupt.
[/quote]

The purpose of my post was to make others aware of this business practice so that we could all complain. It is my experience that if a company receives numerous complains from users that they might make a change. If we sit back like lemmings and take it then we deserve what we get.

Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW

So if I understand this right, you didn't want to renew in the winter months because you wouldn't use it then (understandable)and then went to pay for a year in March (for example). Since they are yearly subscriptions, aren't you paying for winter months anyway(the upcoming ones)even if you were to renew in March? Now if you were on a month to month plan I could easily see your point. Yearly subscriptions in yours and my area included winter months that it is impossible to play.....nature of the beast so to speak. Sucks to be sure.

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

What about SkyCaddie's new "Gimme," which sells for $169.95? According to their ad, it features up to 30,000 preloaded, updatable course maps, easy-to-read front, center, and back of green yardages, and water-resistant durability. Sounds like there is no annual fee for this unit, and although it does not give distances to hazards, I really only want yardages to the green, so it might be just what I am looking for. Plus, when I wear my contacts to play golf, it's harder to see up close, but the Gimme display features very large numbers that should be easy to read.

[quote name='jaiello' timestamp='1363133015' post='6600419']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1363130875' post='6600191']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Fair point. I respectfully disagree but you make a fair point. My thinking was that I wasn't using it in January or February so I would renew when I needed it. If I subscribe to Golf Magazine and let my subscription lapse for two months, when I renew the subscription begins at the point of the renewal. I agree this is not the Sky Golf business model. My hope was to expose this unscrupulous practice for others to become aware.
[/quote]

You talk as though Skycaddie's charter should be the same as a magazine subscription; NOT possible, for a number of rational business model reasons. Due Diligence on the differing models would help you to understand there is no unscrupulous practice either; just your error in timing and expectations.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

You should not be required to susbscribe to service that you do not use, that is the bottom line. Whether someone mistakenly forgets to upgrade or is purposly trying to avoid paying for a few months when the item is not in use does not matter. The customer is always right. My buddy always has issues with Skycaddie, so based on those stories and this story, I will never buy one.