Hogan, Garcia, Knudson fan

AM19

Since late 2011, I've been working hard on my swing, with multiple methods, learning a little from each. Ultimately, my mind continually drifted back to swings like player, venturi, snead, knudson, garcia and hogan, so I decided to re-attempt this type of swing. I have been working on this since the last video on my channel, from January of this year.

Due to the swings I have studied, I feel the hogan forum is the right place to ask for opinions. So, what do you guys think?

Face on

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGC6wnwy-sY[/media]

DTL

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0t6jWi9b_U[/media]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler, first of all thanks very much, but I think your impact zone is better than mine. Secondly, I agree, the camerawork is awful, need a gorilla pod or something, had to wedge it awkwardly today due to the winds. Unfortunately I'm away for the next two weeks, but after that I will get a driver swing up. Hopefully by then everything will be more together, some of the changes I'm working on are only about 200 reps old

BHSP, lol thanks, maybe I should start a swing project thread? ;)
When is take 55 coming by the way? Been lurking with great interest

No expert here but the pivot doesn't really look quite right. Still, at least from a dynamic standpoint it's better than a lot of self-proclaimed experts. If you do post more videos, try to include a real-time video. Slow motion videos mask the intangibles like dynamics/rhythm. You can fake positions but it's hard to fake rhythm/dynamics. Good job so far, keep going.

I agree with Tyler here..beware of making changes through online advice. You have no idea who is at the other end. I didn't mean to suggest that you to change anything (though I didn't suggest that you change). It's just that my personal bias leads me to seeing certain things. The only reason I asked for the real time video is because I wanted to confirm some things to myself. Definitely do not ever take any advice from me if you see it! lol.

At the end of the day even video lies. Your ball flight and consistency is the only truth. In that respect, you are your own best judge of your swing in most cases. No one else sees as many of your shots as you do. Even more importantly, no one else can feel your swing. Can you hit the shots you want nearly all the time? Are you in full control throughout the swing? Everything else is just superficial. That's how I feel about that anyway. Too many guys out there trying to manipulate their swings to match theoretical lines while neglecting the true cause and effect.

I am wary of making changes based on online advice, in this case I asked because in some cases, although less so these videos, my legwork looks poor and possibly dangerous in terms of the positioning and rotation of the left knee and then the resultant left hip action post impact.

H4CK-Ballstriking is really close to where I want it in terms of consistent center face contact. Ball flight could be better, although that is due to a path which is a loong way from neutral, which is due to my handpath, which is awful. I am excited about my progress though, as I've gained speed and control swinging this way and I feel now I'm fine tuning my groundwork

Haha, I can live with that. However, the leg action might be on its way out, because if I was getting more left I don't think they would move in that way, and I will be working on getting more weight left in transition after I've finished with my current set of changes since I can catch long irons a bit fat. Hopefully you'll be able to see some of the changes this weekend if I can get to the course (and take a decent video lol)

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while, still not a cameraman lol
Hopefully you can see some of the changes I've made. Ballflight is right where I want it 6 iron down, and with 3 wood. Only there about 70% of the time with 4,5 iron, probably about 50% with driver, Driver swings are my miss, big push fade

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL2WQInGbxw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL2WQInGbxw[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdATFV3mRrU&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdATFV3mRrU&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Alot of good stuff going on in that swing. However, way too much lateral sway on backswing IMO. Look at the head movement compared to the trees in background on the face-on 8 iron swing.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

Yeah my heads not real stable, but I'm leaving it for now since it matches my downswing with the upper body moving a bit laterally, which is a byproduct of some serious spin out and upper body lateral movement issues in the past. When I sort out the shoulder turn on the downswing the head should stay a little more stable creating some more spine tilt. Then I might have to stabilize that or I'll be too far behind it, I agree

[quote name='AM19' timestamp='1365551552' post='6796491']
Yeah my heads not real stable, but I'm leaving it for now since it matches my downswing with the upper body moving a bit laterally, which is a byproduct of some serious spin out and upper body lateral movement issues in the past. When I sort out the shoulder turn on the downswing the head should stay a little more stable creating some more spine tilt. Then I might have to stabilize that or I'll be too far behind it, I agree
[/quote]

Looks like a good motion to me. What are your keys for backswing/downswing? (if you don't mind posting)

[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1365641391' post='6806265']
[quote name='AM19' timestamp='1365551552' post='6796491']
[/quote]

Looks like a good motion to me. What are your keys for backswing/downswing? (if you don't mind posting)
[/quote]

Dont mind at all, will try to break my motion down for you as good as I can

My address is important in terms of alignments. I tend to get too far in to out, so I try to get my shoulders open, hips square and feet closed. The shoulders being open prevents me from getting too far inside on the backswing, but I get my feet closed and hips square because if anything I can end up with too much separation between shoulders and hips. I have some footage where my hips are totally facing the target but my shoulders are square/slightly open. Having the hips preset behind the shoulders means my misses aren't as bad when my hips get fast and helps me link up a bit better. Tends to be an issue mostly with the driver since I have a tendency to try to swing too fast (dont we all lol)

For the backswing, firstly I want a trigger. I find that players who don't have a trigger get tense or take longer to hit the ball. For me, once I'm over the ball, the more time I take the more unnecessary, often non beneficial thoughts I have. In my case, its a little more pronounced than I would like, and the reaction is for my right leg to straighten a little, which moves me off the ball a bit too much laterally. As I explained above, i'm not worried about that just yet because it matches my upper body movement in the downswing

Besides that, I look for shoulders to be at 90 degrees to the spine, but I don't have to worry about that often because I worked on some of Foley's stuff in the past, so that got my shoulder turn a little bit steeper anyway. Hands must stay in front in the backswing aswell, or I really get in trouble with being stuck due to fast hips. Besides that, I look for my right hip to turn deep and feel like the club floats at the top, so it can load on the way down

Transitionally, I push off the right foot as I believe Knudson suggested, and the club loads up.Now I don't have to pay much notice to it, but when I was first learning to float load I felt it in the pressure point at the base of the index finger. To flatten the shaft I bend the right wrist back. This allows me to get more shallow, and I tend to find the centre of the face more often, however I do have to watch handpath. If my handpath is not across the ball the clubhead, as flat as the shaft is, comes way too far from the inside.

One thing I have let slip a little which is crucial to me is the right shoulder moving toward the ball. The body alignments this gets me into automates the release for me, which is also why my right arm is straighter in these videos. Think thats most of it, I'll add to this post if/when I think of more stuff lol

So I've been looking at some more Hogan footage lately and through impact I've noticed his right side looks quite passive, as the right leg seems to stay back, leading to some knee separation at impact. Then it seems to me that the right foot is dragged onto the toe by the left side pulling. I've also noticed that my right side looks very active comparatively

So, two questions. One, is this important? Two, if it is, how is it implemented?