Callaway Connect-Easy

ck25

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I joined the masses and picked one up this afternoon at Target. Will be going to the range tomorrow and report back with results.

I wonder how much Target sales have spiked the past few days. The WRX effect.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I tried the Callaway swing easy training aid once and it gave me a really connected feel. I only hit a few 3/4 short iron shots, but I can say that I did pure most of them. To me it seems like the idea these two training aids try to instill sort of don't work for full swings, no? When ever I see a video of the "ideal" swing or a pro swing it seems that the right elbow always seems to be pretty disconnected at the top, especially with longer irons, woods, and the driver. It confuses me..

[quote name='mistermcgoo' timestamp='1364874258' post='6741793']
I tried the Callaway swing easy training aid once and it gave me a really connected feel. I only hit a few 3/4 short iron shots, but I can say that I did pure most of them. To me it seems like the idea these two training aids try to instill sort of don't work for full swings, no? When ever I see a video of the "ideal" swing or a pro swing it seems that the right elbow always seems to be pretty disconnected at the top, especially with longer irons, woods, and the driver. It confuses me..
[/quote]

Look at those same videos and you will see that they get the right elbow connected about halfway down and through impact (with the exception of those who aggressively roll the wrists). I think the idea is to use this device to ingrain the connected feel through impact. Just make half swings to get the right feel then make half swings without it, then stretch it to full swings and try to recreate that same feel.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1364907472' post='6743037']
[/quote]

Look at those same videos and you will see that they get the right elbow connected about halfway down and through impact (with the exception of those who aggressively roll the wrists). I think the idea is to use this device to ingrain the connected feel through impact. Just make half swings to get the right feel then make half swings without it, then stretch it to full swings and try to recreate that same feel.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, so basically what your saying is that you stay connected during the takeway, have a slight disconnect at the top, and then reconnect the right elbow on the downswing and through impact?

[quote name='Sabre3' timestamp='1363370039' post='6617859']
Not to take sales away from callaway but you could always try this

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJs48ZQ7_3A[/media]
[/quote]

That example Zach Allen used doesn't seem to have anything to do with staying connected per-se. He's stuck. His club is way under plane. The only way for him to make contact at that point and the throughswing is to disconnect. If he didn't do that he'd be hitting a foot behind the ball.

[quote name='mistermcgoo' timestamp='1364909816' post='6743287']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, so basically what your saying is that you stay connected during the takeway, have a slight disconnect at the top, and then reconnect the right elbow on the downswing and through impact?
[/quote]

Happy to help. What you described is my understanding. That "reconnect" is often referred to as "dropping the hands" "dropping into the slot" "shallowing the club," etc.

I think this device is also a great way to learn to pitch and chip...turn back, turn through, no wild arms or hand manipulation...very consistent. To change shot height and spin, just alter your setup weight distribution, grip strength, and/or ball position.

Two caveats....one, I am not an instructor, just a guy who reads a lot about the golf swing from here and other places and spent the last 4 years going from a flippy handsy swing to a pivot controlled connected swing, and two, there are plenty of good golfers who aren't "connected" and rotate their forearms through to close the face while swinging out to right field (Mickelson, Vijay, Couples). If that if your style, then this may not be the aid for you. This promotes a more connected body driven swing (Hogan, Mahan, 2013 Tiger).

For the virtues and pitfalls of each approach, you will find PLENTY of commentary on here.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1364914568' post='6743809']
[quote name='mistermcgoo' timestamp='1364909816' post='6743287']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Happy to help. What you described is my understanding. That "reconnect" is often referred to as "dropping the hands" "dropping into the slot" "shallowing the club," etc.

I think this device is also a great way to learn to pitch and chip...turn back, turn through, no wild arms or hand manipulation...very consistent. To change shot height and spin, just alter your setup weight distribution, grip strength, and/or ball position.

Two caveats....one, I am not an instructor, just a guy who reads a lot about the golf swing from here and other places and spent the last 4 years going from a flippy handsy swing to a pivot controlled connected swing, and two, there are plenty of good golfers who aren't "connected" and rotate their forearms through to close the face while swinging out to right field (Mickelson, Vijay, Couples). If that if your style, then this may not be the aid for you. This promotes a more connected body driven swing (Hogan, Mahan, 2013 Tiger).

For the virtues and pitfalls of each approach, you will find PLENTY of commentary on here.
[/quote]

Yes I noticed it definitely felt like it built a solid foundation and feeling for pitches and chips, not so much full shots. I can relate to you in that I have a very handsy swing too, but when I try some pivot swing related fundamentals I feel really tense and stiff which never leads to good things lol. Maybe that's just my natural swing and I can work on it from there. I never knew you could be not "connected" and still be a good ballstriker, I'm very intrigued by your comment of rotating my forerams through the downswing. I'll have to research that some..

I have had this for a few months. Great training tool.

For those of you who have tried this and seem to lack distance even though you seem to be compressing the ball well I would like to suggest the following.

Get tour tempo, start with the slowest tempo 27/9, then slowly work towards the 24/8 beat. You will be surprised how much more swing speed you can get with your pivot on just a 9-3 swing.

For those of you who tried and could not get the Tour Tempo program to work for you, get and try it with the Callaway connect-easy. I just might get you to sync you swing up to the beats, especially with more of a 9-3 swing.

Wow! Can it really be this simple? Was excited to finally have a chance to swing into backyard net tonight with weather turning, and it was not pretty to say the least. Was all over the place. Then I remembered this thread and I had this tucked into my golf bag, and WOW. That's all, just WOW! There's hope after all.
Thanks for passing this along, much appreciated.

[quote name='rockwallraider' timestamp='1363368979' post='6617765']
slicefixer is buying one to try, i asked him to tell me his thoughts once he takes it through ringer, love this thing
[/quote]

Hey RWR, I've bought one and will be able to finally hit some balls this week.

Ever hear back from Slicefixer?

Best of luck with your game.

[quote name='stokepoges' timestamp='1365180526' post='6768329']
slicefixer is buying one to try, i asked him to tell me his thoughts once he takes it through ringer, love this thing
[/quote]

[/quote]
i asked Geoff about this aid when i saw him last week.Even though he had not tried one .he said that it might be useful ,but that it should NOT used with backswings longer than 9:00.Keeping the right elbow close to the body past 9:00 will prevent a golfer from achieving width with the arms that is necessary going back .Just try skipping a rock or throwing a ball with your right arm tucked into your torso .It will lack power .
i do not have one but I do have a Ballard "swing connection" .The purpose of this was to connect your upper left arm to your torso ,but it can be easily switched to your right arm and act just like the CALLAWAY CONNECT .TWO suggestions .First place a very small nerfball/1/2 credit card deep inside your left armpit.This will connect your upper left arm to your torso and will aid in swinging left.Second , because your right arm will be closely connected to your torso,it is even more important than usual that you start the takeaway by taking the clubhead straight away from the ball(toe touching target line) for the first 12-18 inches.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1365181840' post='6768475']
[/quote]

[/quote]
i asked Geoff about this aid when i saw him last week.Even though he had not tried one .he said that it might be useful ,b[b]ut that it should NOT used with backswings longer than 9:00.Keeping the right elbow close to the body past 9:00 will prevent a golfer from achieving width with the arms that is necessary going back .Just try skipping a rock or throwing a ball with your right arm tucked into your torso .It will lack power .[/b]
i do not have one but I do have a Ballard "swing connection" .The purpose of this was to connect your upper left arm to your torso ,but it can be easily switched to your right arm and act just like the CALLAWAY CONNECT .TWO suggestions .First place a very small nerfball/1/2 credit card deep inside your left armpit.This will connect your upper left arm to your torso and will aid in swinging left.Second , because your right arm will be closely connected to your torso,it is even more important than usual that you start the takeaway by taking the clubhead straight away from the ball(toe touching target line) for the first 12-18 inches.
[/quote]

Hi Russ, I love your input on this forum and lap up all of your musings on the golf swing. However, it struck me today that when I play with young athletic players, like myself, they can all strike a really great all but very, very few are straight with it, unless they have a 'good day'. Now, I've been using the callaway connect for only a couple of days and i've noticed that the 'connection' that all good/great players have is achievable whilst wearing/training with this device. The shots i've been hitting by just using the '9-3' swing and keeping the right elbow/upper arm connected to the torso have been very straight - straighter than i've ever hit the ball and i'm actually confident hitting a 3 iron off the deck, such is the quality of the strike. For example, today I hit 3 greens with a 3 iron off the deck (all from around 200-220 yards), all with a 9-3/10-2 swing.

So, it got me thinking that for a lot of decent single figure, athletic guys, the problem lies in trying to 'reconnect' the arms to the body after transition - it is impossible to hit consistent, straight shots without this connection. However, if you remain connected, via a shorter backswing, you can hit straight shots but will lack a little power and distance. But i think the REAL problem most golfers have is that little move from disconnection-to transition-to reconnection is almost impossible to achieve and FRUSTRATION at not being able to do it really bewilders most players. Good connection = 'good day'; no connection = 'what's wrong with me today?'

What i'm saying is that unless you are really gifted, maybe most amateur golfers should simply focus on straight shots and not power. I feel so confident now that i can hit straight shots pretty much on demand (and this after only 2 days of hitting shots), that the game is changing for me, in terms of confidence and strategy. And, i'm not even losing that much distance, but i'm hitting 12 out of 14 fairways.

There's a 275 page thread about the 9-3 swing but the callaway connect thread is only 3 pages yet this device could 'unlock' the 9-3 for the 'average' golfer.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1363804081' post='6651887']
Your arms can get "stuck" from too fast a Pivot tempo during transition, since the Pivot creates ineria on the arms, which move more to the right of mid-line than they were at the Top.
[/quote]

Rory seems to suffer from this at times. I am amazed on how far his right elbow looks at times relative to his right hip during the downswing, then only to see him plant one right down the fairway. He looks to thrust his right arm near impact to 'save' it?

Like here his right upper arm/elbow looks way beyond "midline" and even past where the seam of his shirt is (Stuck?). But looked like a perfect shot. Rory DOES play a huge draw though so maybe that is how he makes this work?

[Youtube] http://youtu.be/hh1-BX8LFWU?t=19s [/Youtube]

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

Great thread. Does this device help the folding of the trail arm on the way back?

During my lesson yesterday, I don't fold very well and my right elbow is lagging behind my hip instead of getting in front of it.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1365290561' post='6775667']
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1365181840' post='6768475']
[/quote]

[/quote]
i asked Geoff about this aid when i saw him last week.Even though he had not tried one .he said that it might be useful ,b[b]ut that it should NOT used with backswings longer than 9:00.Keeping the right elbow close to the body past 9:00 will prevent a golfer from achieving width with the arms that is necessary going back .Just try skipping a rock or throwing a ball with your right arm tucked into your torso .It will lack power .[/b]
[/quote]

Hi Russ, I love your input on this forum and lap up all of your musings on the golf swing. However, it struck me today that when I play with young athletic players, like myself, they can all strike a really great all but very, very few are straight with it, unless they have a 'good day'. Now, I've been using the callaway connect for only a couple of days and i've noticed that the 'connection' that all good/great players have is achievable whilst wearing/training with this device. The shots i've been hitting by just using the '9-3' swing and keeping the right elbow/upper arm connected to the torso have been very straight - straighter than i've ever hit the ball and i'm actually confident hitting a 3 iron off the deck, such is the quality of the strike. For example, today I hit 3 greens with a 3 iron off the deck (all from around 200-220 yards), all with a 9-3/10-2 swing.

So, it got me thinking that for a lot of decent single figure, athletic guys, the problem lies in trying to 'reconnect' the arms to the body after transition - it is impossible to hit consistent, straight shots without this connection. However, if you remain connected, via a shorter backswing, you can hit straight shots but will lack a little power and distance. But i think the REAL problem most golfers have is that little move from disconnection-to transition-to reconnection is almost impossible to achieve and FRUSTRATION at not being able to do it really bewilders most players. Good connection = 'good day'; no connection = 'what's wrong with me today?'

What i'm saying is that unless you are really gifted, maybe most amateur golfers should simply focus on straight shots and not power. I feel so confident now that i can hit straight shots pretty much on demand (and this after only 2 days of hitting shots), that the game is changing for me, in terms of confidence and strategy. And, i'm not even losing that much distance, but i'm hitting 12 out of 14 fairways.

There's a 275 page thread about the 9-3 swing but the callaway connect thread is only 3 pages yet this device could 'unlock' the 9-3 for the 'average' golfer.
[/quote]

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1365341712' post='6778399']
Great thread. Does this device help the folding of the trail arm on the way back?[/quote]
No.
[quote]During my lesson yesterday, I don't fold very well and my right elbow is lagging behind my hip instead of getting in front of it. [/quote]
This helps you feel what the right elbow should be doing by almost keep your right elbow on the right hip.
It helps lots of problems.

If you need to create more room for your right elbow, try [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/817515-golf-instruction-creating-space-with-the-pivot-brady-riggs-rear-view/"]this[/url] thread. Watch the Hogan Power move videos.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1364912465' post='6743545']
That example Zach Allen used doesn't seem to have anything to do with staying connected per-se. He's stuck. His club is way under plane. The only way for him to make contact at that point and the throughswing is to disconnect. If he didn't do that he'd be hitting a foot behind the ball.
[/quote]

He does it again [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P38JNe-HMsM#t=69s"]here[/url].
He's talking about getting rid of an OTT move, but the main problem (cause) of issue is the student is snatching the club inside *HUGE*.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Thank you.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Ok, so I went and picked this thing up tonight because of this thread.

Do you hit balls with it on or just swing? Any specific drills you are doing? Specificity I had a lessen which clearly showed my club is getting behind me and the folding on my right arm on my backswing needs work. On the downswing my hands are too far from my body and my arms/hands are lagging behind straightening near my trail side instead of being on my forward side. My turn also stalls on the downswing.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Actually hit balls with it on, hitting hip high back to hip high follow thru, or the good ol' 9-3 swing. Usually I hit 10 shots with it on, and 10 with it off, rinse repeat. Per your note about stalling on turn, this has been helping me to turn thru and get onto front foot in follow thru. Really works to show me how elbow needs to find slot. Love it.

I have been using it while swing my orange whip. How high on your trail arm should this be? At elbow or on bicep? Higher/lower?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

[quote name='parmark' timestamp='1366077011' post='6853583']
Mine's right smack dab on the elbow. More I use it, the better the results. But boy do I get weird looks from wife and neighbors.(I use in back yard net and over the fence shots, not the range)
[/quote]

Try the range at around 6pm when its real busy with the casual golfers if you want to see some weird looks!

The problem with this or similar aids is that is it encourages the right elbow to fold too early and /or encourages the right arm to be too close to your torso going back .The former will reduce the width of your backswing,while the latter has the potential to get the right elbow behind the seam of your shirt ,into the "dead zone"
Going down it will help to get your right elbow into a better postion.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1366139724' post='6858739']
The problem with this or similar aids is that is it encourages the right elbow to fold too early and /or encourages the right arm to be too close to your torso going back .The former will reduce the width of your backswing,while the latter has the potential to get the right elbow behind the seam of your shirt ,into the "dead zone"
[/quote]

So would you say it creates good feel in backswings shorter than 9:00? Is 9:00 in the backswing where the right arm separates some from the body (then reconnects on the way down)?

I tend to have difficulty with the pivot driven swing with anything shorter than about an 8:00 backswing. I tend to slap my hands at it. Do you think this might help those shorter pitch swings?

I have one and I do like it but am always cautious about ingraining bad feels.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1366143083' post='6859129']
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1366139724' post='6858739']
[/quote]

So would you say it creates good feel in backswings shorter than 9:00? Is 9:00 in the backswing where the right arm separates some from the body (then reconnects on the way down)?

I tend to have difficulty with the pivot driven swing with anything shorter than about an 8:00 backswing. I tend to slap my hands at it. Do you think this might help those shorter pitch swings?

I have one and I do like it but am always cautious about ingraining bad feels.
[/quote]
Yes to helping with shorter pitches
This is definitely not a backswing aid.but much more of a downswing one .i would just caution those golfers who have to tendency to snatch the club head inside during their takeaway or who have a tendency to fold their right elbow too early going back to be careful even going to 9:00 with this aid
I will use the skipping rock analogy.When you skip a rock ,is the right elbow ever connected to the torso going back ?The same holds true on the golf swing .The right elbow should not be really close to your torso going back.