Are "Glued Drivers" Becoming Obsolete?

llamont

Tiger sure doesnt think so. That having been said the advantages to both the consumer and manufacturer are certainly pushing it that way.

TS3 8.5 (D1) Motore Speeder 7.2TS X

TSi3 15 (C1) Rogue 130MSI white 80x
818h1 19 (C2) Tensei Pro white 90tx/X-forged UT 18 PX 6.5
MP5 4-pw $-taper 130
Zipcore 50,55,60
Redwood Anser

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ozsouthpaw' timestamp='1364092708' post='6675581']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1364089637' post='6675291']
[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1364089558' post='6675279']
I wonder if any Tour Players have their adjustable drivers glued in place.? For instance, you occasionally read about a player, that uses an adjustable driver, that is described as having switched to a driver with more or less loft, due to conditions. Wouldn't they just change the settings on their gamer?
[/quote]

No because you can't adjust loft without affecting face angle so if you want a different loft and the same face angle you need a different head.
[/quote]

So whats the purpose of the adjustable base plate on th R series . I thought it was to offset the opening or closing of the face when adjusting loft
[/quote]

It's been debated ad nauseum on here before. You can search for it if you want to get into that can of worms.

Taylormade no glued drivers
Titleist no glued drivers
Ping no glued drivers
Adams no glued drivers
Callaway no glued drivers

These guys pretty much rule the golf equipment market and it seems they have pretty much spoken.

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1364066767' post='6672779']
Given the ability for the OEM to reduce SKUs and stock, it's going to be the future.
[/quote]

Bingo. This just as much, if not more, of a business decision than a technology thing. OEMs have to be saving a lot of money now that one driver can be made.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

Adjustable drivers are the way to go for manufacturers and golf stores save money on easy to stock. The problem I have the last few years drivers feel lighter I prefer the heavy feeling my favorite drivers of the past are G15, Launcher, Sumo2, Hi bore series. I can't find any drivers last few years to compete with these.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1364136087' post='6677869']
Taylormade no glued drivers
Titleist no glued drivers
Ping no glued drivers
Adams no glued drivers
Callaway no glued drivers

These guys pretty much rule the golf equipment market and it seems they have pretty much spoken.
[/quote]

To me, this is very depressing

+1 on that. being able to swap fast between shafts I want to try is the real benefit for me.

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1364089097' post='6675215']
I enjoy the ability to swap out shafts on a whim. For most people, this isn't important. For me, it's awesome.
[/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1364083306' post='6674609']
Do the math. If I own a store I have to carry 3 or 4 lofts in right handed. I have to have 2, 3 or 4 shaft flexes for each of those lofts. I have to accommodate the head models (Tour, Non-Tour, Draw, etc) and then try and do some of that for the left-handed golfers as well. Oh, and the ladies need stuff too!

Glued drivers force A LOT of stock to go to waste or simply sit around for way too long. Or worse, you walk in and I don't have what you're looking for so I lose the sale.

The process of testing and buying drivers in the future might be more akin to walking into Subway than what we know today.
[/quote]

Amen.

The golf shop of the future will also have irons and wedges screwed to shafts. As you rightly point out, it will be almost like ordering a custom sandwich. Select your heads, select your shafts, select your grips, screw them together, install the grips and out the door in an hour.

[quote name='kloyd0306' timestamp='1364261082' post='6694331']
Do the math. If I own a store I have to carry 3 or 4 lofts in right handed. I have to have 2, 3 or 4 shaft flexes for each of those lofts. I have to accommodate the head models (Tour, Non-Tour, Draw, etc) and then try and do some of that for the left-handed golfers as well. Oh, and the ladies need stuff too!

Glued drivers force A LOT of stock to go to waste or simply sit around for way too long. Or worse, you walk in and I don't have what you're looking for so I lose the sale.

The process of testing and buying drivers in the future might be more akin to walking into Subway than what we know today.
[/quote]

Amen.

The golf shop of the future will also have irons and wedges screwed to shafts. As you rightly point out, it will be almost like ordering a custom sandwich. Select your heads, select your shafts, select your grips, screw them together, install the grips and out the door in an hour.
[/quote]

Hmmm. In the not too distant future irons will be adjustable for lie, length, loft all with the turn of a wrench.

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

I agree it will be lot easier to find what you need, and will save money. Problem I have and alot of people do is they live so far from box stores to try everything. I'm 2-3 hours away. I guess I'll have to make time and plan a trip to the city but seems when you get there it's all day event in the stores and they don't have very many stalls and there is other people there wanting to try stuff as well.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

I certainly hope not, you just don't get the feel off the face with an adjustable driver. Plus for some reason with me whenever I have an adj driver I always tend to catch the ball more off the heel. I mean dont get me wrong I have the new covert driver and love it but I will always have my trust 09 burner driver as a back up.

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1364262322' post='6694521']
[quote name='kloyd0306' timestamp='1364261082' post='6694331']

[/quote]

Amen.

[/quote]

Hmmm. In the not too distant future irons will be adjustable for lie, length, loft all with the turn of a wrench.
[/quote]

The consumer will make the decision. Why don't those companies have glued drivers? Because the majority of golfers are buying adjustable drivers. You can question why consumers make that decision but the numbers tell you that is what people are buying. Manufacturers only supply what people show they will buy. If you want glued drivers, then start buying glued drivers. Otherwise, manufacturers will make adjustable only.

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1364267668' post='6695289']
The consumer will make the decision. Why don't those companies have glued drivers? Because the majority of golfers are buying adjustable drivers. You can question why consumers make that decision but the numbers tell you that is what people are buying. Manufacturers only supply what people show they will buy. If you want glued drivers, then start buying glued drivers. Otherwise, manufacturers will make adjustable only.
[/quote]

I understand the market as a driving force, but this can be misleading. If nobody makes glued drivers then nobody will buy glued drivers.

Ping sold a lot of glued drivers, but went to adjustable in their g recent series.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I think they definately are the way of the past. I'm still playing the G20 9.5* Stock Stiff shaft because I fall into a lot of the standard settings, so it works for me.

I can see where the OEMs want to make only one driver head that will fit many. Just makes a lot of sense in prodcution.

I took a look at the Adams Speedline Super S this past weekend and actually really liked how I could possibly change the loft from 9.5* to 10.5* depending on conditions. I like a neutral look at address and I don't need to change ball flight settings so it may work out.

Another thing to worry about is buying, say, a TM R1 at a big box store (Golfsmith/Golf Galaxy). How many kids could do a proper fitting with calibrated equipment. Probably not many.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='Wooderson' timestamp='1364090975' post='6675405']
They are dying and its a shame. Adjustable drivers do make fitting easier and are better for business. The negative is glued drivers perform a minute amount better than adjustable. Ping swears their adjustable hosel does not add mass to the heel of the club. I would be amazed if true.
[/quote]

It really is a shame...glued drivers feel SOO much better than their adjustable counterparts, and it'll be a shame to let them go. I just hope that the industry will continue to allow us to select a glued fairway wood. An adjustable FW is one thing I DO NOT see myself going to anytime soon.

I don't know if it's 100% true, but PING's adapter is the lightest one out there, and IMO has the cleanest look. The Anser actually sold me over the G20, because it actually ended up feeling pretty good. It's just one piece of aluminum, and likely no heavier than your normal hosel.

Short version: I only bought an adjustable driver because the adapter was as close to a glued look/feel as possible.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The adjustable drivers are great because the ability to find shafts to try is limitless with ebay. And now you don't have to pay the 10-20 bucks on top of it to have the local shop reshaft it. Glued heads to have a certain nostalgia and feel a little more solid, but can get over that. No more stress that the local clubmaker will torch the head when the shaft is pulled anymore. Just click and swap!

Haven't had alot of sucess with taking an adjustable driver and tuning it in to optimal, just makes it easier to swap and try shafts to do that. Have tinkered a little with fairway woods and hybrids in the adjustbale arena to get gaps right, but still back to standard settings in the end.

[quote name='PrO_D_BoMbEr' timestamp='1364308061' post='6697515']
The adjustable drivers are great because the ability to find shafts to try is limitless with ebay. And now you don't have to pay the 10-20 bucks on top of it to have the local shop reshaft it. Glued heads to have a certain nostalgia and feel a little more solid, but can get over that. No more stress that the local clubmaker will torch the head when the shaft is pulled anymore. Just click and swap!

[/quote]

Finding a shaft with the right connector isn't always a given. Buying them separately is spendy and will require someone to do the installation.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°