Kraft Nabisco Championship...your thoughts.

Mr22putt

6 hrs of coverage on Thurs & Fri...featuring AM & PM waves.

4 hrs each on Sat & Sun.

Nice!!!!....let the games begin.

Will an Asian born pro continue the streak....making it 8 major winners in a row.

Can Se Ri complete her career slam.

I expect Lydia to be the top Am.....hopefully top 20 or better...I always root for the wonder kid.

I`m assume she was not invited....I would have liked to see no. 3 Am and 2012 US Jr. Girl Am......Minjee Lee playing.

I think Palm Spring had a bad winter too....I assume there is minimal rough even with a rye over seed.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy but I'm not going to be shocked if Lydia contends this weekend, she may not but she's such an unknown quantity right now, and of such quality, it's hard to know what to expect from her. Once she's out on tour and we see her week in week out we'll know what to expect but right now, anything goes? It's her last chance to win a major at 15 years of age after all. lol

But meanwhile back in reality land, for me it's hard to go past form and Stacy has that in spades. I'll take IK or Webbie as sentimental favourites, Stacy as the form favourite and Ly-Kid as the outsider..

Great to see the quantity of coverage, looking forward to some fantastic viewing all weekend..

Agreed, it would have been nice to see Minjee Lee out there, even Su Oh or the #2 girl Nobuhle Dlamini who I've never seen play. It's obviously hard to get an invite, LK had been #1 am for like a year in 2012 and never got one..

I would personally like IK to get redemption. She is going to be reminded by everyone about that putt last year though so I am sure that isn't going to make it easy for her.

I think Stacy Lewis is the only hope for breaking asian dominance in the majors. Maybe Beatriz, since she is in decent form but winning two in a row may be a bit too much to ask.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1364789046' post='6734537']
6 hrs of coverage on Thurs & Fri...featuring AM & PM waves.
4 hrs each on Sat & Sun.
Nice!!!!....let the games begin.

Will an Asian born pro continue the streak....making it 8 major winners in a row.
Can Se Ri complete her career slam.

I expect Lydia to be the top Am.....hopefully top 20 or better...I always root for the wonder kid.
I`m assume she was not invited....I would have liked to see no. 3 Am and 2012 US Jr. Girl Am......Minjee Lee playing.

I think Palm Spring had a bad winter too....I assume there is minimal rough even with a rye over seed.
[/quote]

Is the 2nd block on Thurs/Fri just a repeat, or are they actually going to have 6 hours of coverage?

I would like to see them make 18 more of a 2 shot choice, seems like they always have it just out of reach for 98% of the players. 3 shot par 5's esp for the 18th really don't move the meter, imo.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1364875632' post='6741931']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1364789046' post='6734537']
[/quote]

Is the 2nd block on Thurs/Fri just a repeat, or are they actually going to have 6 hours of coverage?

I would like to see them make 18 more of a 2 shot choice, seems like they always have it just out of reach for 98% of the players. 3 shot par 5's esp for the 18th really don't move the meter, imo.
[/quote]

I believe the 2nd block is live....or at least I hope so.

IMO...18 is set up right....rd 1 & 3 back....rd 2 & 4 up.....so if one needed to play aggressive to either make the cut or win.

To make 18 reachable for the majority....it would have to be set up no longer than 430-440 yds tops.....then it takes out the left water and right bunkers out of play for the bombers from the tee block....if it's playing downwind you then have the bombers able to reach with a 7-6 iron max.
If it's into the wind...then most will lay up.
Supposedly it has been windy yesterday and today...wind to die down on Thurs-Fri...then back up on the weekend.

What I don't care for...is in recent years...they have built grandstands behind 18 taking the back water out of play.

Golf Central is hyping up Lydia.

yeah still even playing up 2&4 there's probably 5 players that can reach, or would try to reach... It's pretty much an automatic layout it seems, at least the past few years it seems.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1364883897' post='6742375']
yeah still even playing up 2&4 there's probably 5 players that can reach, or would try to reach... It's pretty much an automatic layout it seems, at least the past few years it seems.
[/quote]
Five? That many?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1364916587' post='6744051']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1364883897' post='6742375']
[/quote]
Five? That many?
[/quote]

LOL...well let's see... BamBam, that's a given. Lexi, Davies, Yani, Gerina Pillar and Iacobelli both long hitters... as well as that crazy long Canadian Leblanc who always tees off with a 3w and still averages 260 or so... They could all reach I'm sure.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1364926998' post='6745431']
I think Ariya J will have a good week. I'd like to see IK do well. I felt really bad for her last year. I think Lydia will find this a tough nut to crack.
[/quote]

Moriya is in the field.....not Ariya.....although Ariya has played well at the KNC in previous years.
The 'veterans' have an advantage over Lydia because of their familiarity with Mission Hills.....hopefully Lydia will find a loop who knows this track inside and out.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1364933194' post='6746343']
I think Ariya J will have a good week. I'd like to see IK do well. I felt really bad for her last year. I think Lydia will find this a tough nut to crack.
[/quote]

Moriya is in the field.....not Ariya.....although Ariya has played well at the KNC in previous years.
The 'veterans' have an advantage over Lydia because of their familiarity with Mission Hills.....hopefully Lydia will find a loop who knows this track inside and out.
[/quote]

I would think that her coach, Guy Wilson, will loop for her. I don't remember anybody else being on her bag, but I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

[quote name='citizencage' timestamp='1364933601' post='6746381']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would think that her coach, Guy Wilson, will loop for her. I don't remember anybody else being on her bag, but I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me.
[/quote]

Guy seems too busy running the NZ academy to loop lately.

A local on her bag in the 2 recent Oz Opens, Brian Alexander CWO.....Mom Us Am....and I think a local USWO....I think Guy might have been on her bag at the WBO

Can't disagree with I.K being the sentimental pick. Also, Korda has had a nice year and I look for her to get into the mix. And, as always, pulling for Aza and Belen. While the course seems to favor the big big hitters, Morgan Pressel and Donna Andrews have won here too. So, the course has a history of rewarding those that play well.

Good to hear there will be plenty of coverage too!!!

Has anyone ever been there before? I'll be there on Sunday, and would appreciate any advice on good places to sit, food recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1364935565' post='6746611']
I would like to see PC win.

Wk
[/quote]
Me too. For her grandma. But sadly, her putting has been her bugaboo since her major win.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='Trugravity' timestamp='1364948831' post='6747849']
Can't disagree with I.K being the sentimental pick. Also, Korda has had a nice year and I look for her to get into the mix. And, as always, pulling for Aza and Belen. While the course seems to favor the big big hitters, Morgan Pressel and Donna Andrews have won here too. So, the course has a history of rewarding those that play well.

[/quote]

Although a long shot....I'm rooting for Belen to jump in Poppy's pond for obvious reasons.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1364954502' post='6748519']
[quote name='Trugravity' timestamp='1364948831' post='6747849']

[/quote]

Although a long shot....I'm rooting for Belen to jump in Poppy's pond for obvious reasons.
[/quote]
At this rate, I'd be happy for a top 5! I'm sure she's sensing frustration in that Aza has one win, and Betriz has two now...but I'm with you - pulling for Belen like usual ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how Lydia goes, a good loop will certainly help though I don't know if the loop she had in Aus was a course local (don't think so but could be wrong) and Lydia had never seen that course before as was the case in Canada, except for the loop that is.

The Kraft also has a bit of history of young players doing well, MW, Pressel so I'm guessing the 'veteran' advantage may not be quite so large here.

Either way really looking forward to this kicking off in the early hours of Friday morning! :-)

Correct.....I read the loop Lydia had for the past 2 Oz Opens was not a local....2 different tracks 2012 vs. 2013.
Korda also gave kudos to her caddie last yr at Royal Melbourne....this is a great track.

Brian Alexander is a member of Vancouver Golf Club and a past BC Sr. Am champ and really helped Lydia read greens.
It was really fun listening to the members in the gallery giving Brian a hard time.
"hey Brian, did Lydia buy you a coke and dog at the turn"
"Brian....are you going to make it....you're too old to carry a bag 6 straight days"

I and many others had fun cheering for the Kiwi to win.
There will be many Asians and Koreans from LA at the KNC....if Lydia is the 54 hole leader....expect many more fans to travel to watch potential history.

Supposedly Lydia is 5'8" now....2 inches taller than 2012 and one can only imagine how much better she performs when she has a regular loop who understands her physical and mental game.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1364971222' post='6749637']
I'm still not convinced she's 5'8", based on what she looks like alongside other players, even if the 5'8" number is increasingly attached to her.
[/quote]

Tend to agree, there is a pic of her alongside Danielle Kang in Aus and she appears only marginally taller than Danielle who's listed at 5'6".

Lydia Ko is being paired with Michelle Wie. Can't say I love this pairing for Lydia who grew up idolizing Michelle. Given all the issues with Michelle's golf game, I would categorize the situation as a distraction for Ko. I hope I'm wrong and Ko is in the mix on Sunday.

It's time to grab the pebble from my hand grasshopper.

keye-luke.jpg

[quote name='citizencage' timestamp='1364992647' post='6750177']
Lydia Ko is being paired with Michelle Wie. Can't say I love this pairing for Lydia who grew up idolizing Michelle. Given all the issues with Michelle's golf game, I would categorize the situation as a distraction for Ko. I hope I'm wrong and Ko is in the mix on Sunday.
[/quote]

How many strokes will Ko beat Wie by for each round? My guess is at least two.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball