Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

Played Chambers Bay last Monday. 95% of the FWs were dry and fast and firm. Balls rolling on the FWs like it was summer. Greens were good and kind of fast for me. Very dry course. I think the driest during Winter. Great weather and view. Only complaint was the uneven lies on the tee boxes, but I guess that was by design by RTJ. Can't wait to get back there again.

20210118_154153.jpg

• Like 2

Played Harbour Pointe on Wednesday. It was a swap on the front 9. A massive mud pit. Lots of plugged balls. The greens were in decent shape and rolled true. The back9 was a bit more dry (not DRY... but you know, MORE dry). The greens werent in quite a good of shape on the back 9 and were a bit more bumpy and slow.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

Played Cedarcrest over the weekend. Haven't played there in years, the flipped 9s threw me for a loop. Course was pretty swampy throughout, as a foursome we lost ~8 balls in fairway first cut. However, the greens were absolutely immaculate. I was blown away by they shape they were in and how true they rolled. Greens you'd expect to see at a private course.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...

Played Avalon yesterday.  Greens were amazing and course was in great shape.  Looks like they started sanding the fairways on the North course when we finished.

• Like 3

Driver:  Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max / Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max/ Ventus Blue Velocore

Hybrid:  Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid & Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max
Irons:  Ping G525 w/ Axiom 75s
Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw 52 & 58
Putter: Evnroll ER5vB
Bag: Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag (Black) & Vessel Lite Stand Bag (White)
Ball: Titleist AVX

Shoe: Nike or Jordans

• 1 month later...

Played 3 rounds at gamble sands over the weekend. 
Do not understand what the hype is. Greens are in TERRIBLE shape. There was a fire there last year so lots of burned areas outside the course recovering. Not sure if any effect on the course itself. Must be the time of year because these were the slowest greens I’ve ever played on in my life. Bumpy as all get out. Hard, bumpy greens are not a good thing.

I doubt I’ll be back to Gamble Sands anytime soon. 
The kid cleaning the carts up when I pulled up says “you want us to clean your clubs, or you good?”

Thats about the worst thing you could ask if you want to focus on service. Just clean them dude, or don’t if you don’t want to. 
But if you clean them, I’m gonna give ya a tip. 
But when I find out later you didn’t even pull the head covers off the irons I’m gonna be pissed. 
Gamble Sands is a wannabe resort that’s really easy and not worth the drive. 

20 hours ago, TFavor said:

Do not understand what the hype is. Greens are in TERRIBLE shape. There was a fire there last year so lots of burned areas outside the course recovering. Not sure if any effect on the course itself. Must be the time of year because these were the slowest greens I’ve ever played on in my life. Bumpy as all get out. Hard, bumpy greens are not a good thing.

Yikes, that's not what I want to hear as I am headed there on Friday for 4 rounds with a group of 16. That said, I have been probably 4 times over the last few years and always had fantastic turf/green conditions BUT it has generally been in July, August or September. This will be the earliest in the year that I am visiting. I'll report back after this weekend...

They are being strict on their hard opening of May 1 for the new short course which I was hoping to get on as it looks fun. I hope they build a another 18 hole course there in the future.

22 hours ago, TFavor said:

The kid cleaning the carts up when I pulled up says “you want us to clean your clubs, or you good?”

Thats about the worst thing you could ask if you want to focus on service. Just clean them dude, or don’t if you don’t want to. 
But if you clean them, I’m gonna give ya a tip. 
But when I find out later you didn’t even pull the head covers off the irons I’m gonna be pissed. 
Gamble Sands is a wannabe resort that’s really easy and not worth the drive. 

Thats too bad. I was there the weekend before they closed for the season last year. It was perfect. Greens were in great shape, and it was a really enjoyable time. I actually thought playing through the burnt out areas made for an interesting sight. The juxtaposition of the green grass to the burnt out hellscape a few yards away. I played like poop, but that's me, not the course. I've been there twice over the past few years and the course has always been very nice.

Interesting about your experience with the cart kids. They just went to town on my buddies clubs before he could say anything. He tipped em. Then he came back and a different kid was cleaning his clubs for a second time. LOL

Also, maybe they were mocking you due to your iron head covers? 🤣 (Just kidding)

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I've played Jefferson Park twice this last week; its by far the closest course to my house and popping over there to practice, or play 13/15 before the fiancé gets off work is the main thing for me.  Last year things were painfully crowded there, but my last three rounds have been at a pace of 4 hours/round or less (down to 2.75.)

When I moved here, I wasn't very excited by this course, but it has really grown on me.  The caveat is that conditions can be somewhat variable here - they sometimes water too much - but in general they're pretty good. I think many of the greens, which can play quite firm, are actually really subtle and interesting, in their very early 20th century way.  There are several holes that make use of a front/side bunker that creates a ramp that makes accessing front/center pins difficult, as well as some very tricky hole locations near a false front where if you miss just a little, the ball is rolling off the green.

Its not a long course, however it is often tight and you should embrace this.  There are several holes where I hit driving/4 iron off the tee, and some holes where you really need to hit the correct side of the fairway to get a good angle into the green.  Unfortunately, 11 and 12 were neutered to keep people from slicing balls into the neighborhood, but 11 is still interesting as a par 3.

One thing I really like about playing in the area is that, unless you're on heavy soil right next to a river, when conditions dry out, the native character of the turf/soil is really pretty firm - seems like glacial till, etc.  

Edited by Chief Penguin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, blink3665 said:

Thats too bad. I was there the weekend before they closed for the season last year. It was perfect. Greens were in great shape, and it was a really enjoyable time. I actually thought playing through the burnt out areas made for an interesting sight. The juxtaposition of the green grass to the burnt out hellscape a few yards away. I played like poop, but that's me, not the course. I've been there twice over the past few years and the course has always been very nice.

Interesting about your experience with the cart kids. They just went to town on my buddies clubs before he could say anything. He tipped em. Then he came back and a different kid was cleaning his clubs for a second time. LOL

Also, maybe they were mocking you due to your iron head covers? 🤣 (Just kidding)

Maybe they just cleaned the headcovers as they weren't sure if they should touch the irons themselves 🙂

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

15 hours ago, blink3665 said:

I was well prepared for the iron headcover smack talk I was gonna take, so way to be predictable 😂

I just bought brand new MP20’s and want to keep them in great shape. I’ve beat up every iron set I’ve ever owned, to an embarrassing degree (those wire bristle brushes on iron finishes are like using an eraser on wet paper). 
So I’m not feeling the slight bit insecure about the iron headcovers. The MP20’s are by far the most beautiful and playable iron I’ve ever owned. 
That being said, the worst thing a cart kid could ask is “you want them cleaned or are you ok”. To me that’s poor training. 
The real golf resorts/courses don’t even ask. They don’t give you the option they just do it. Tip or no tip. The second tier ones ask if you want them cleaned. The low class wannabe resorts give you two options. The munis have a cart return area. 
Either clean the clubs or don’t. Too busy sucking up to the assistant pro and yawning to actually do what you were hired to do. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I dunno, that’s how I see it.

OB Sports courses are usually well managed. I wonder if the Troon acquisition of OB is starting to affect quality. OB manages Gamble Sands.

Edited by thezinfan

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

22 hours ago, Wallywally said:

Chambers Bay hole #1  is now a par 5 (according to the course website).   

When I last played in May 2019 it was a par 4.

How is it playing now?    

Strange- did you play different tees? It's been playing as a par 5 as far as I can remember and first played probably 5 years ago

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

Kaschreiber,  I was playing with a new brother-in-law who turned out to be a dbag (slow, lousy, & opinionated).  Before we even got to the first tee he managed to upset the starter, the twosome we were playing with, and me.   I guess I didn’t pay attention to the first hole.   Must go back some other time. 

Edited by Wallywally
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Wallywally said:

Kaschreiber,  I was playing with a new brother-in-law who turned out to be a dbag (slow, lousy, & opinionated).  Before we even got to the first tee he managed to upset the starter, the twosome we playing with, and me.   I guess I didn’t pay attention to the first hole.   Must go back some other time. 

Oh man, that's... a rough way to kick things off. You could be completely correct as well. My happiness on walking off with an opening hole birdie may have been misplaced as well...

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, Chief Penguin said:

I've played Jefferson Park twice this last week; its by far the closest course to my house and popping over there to practice, or play 13/15 before the fiancé gets off work is the main thing for me.  Last year things were painfully crowded there, but my last three rounds have been at a pace of 4 hours/round or less (down to 2.75.)

When I moved here, I wasn't very excited by this course, but it has really grown on me.  The caveat is that conditions can be somewhat variable here - they sometimes water too much - but in general they're pretty good. I think many of the greens, which can play quite firm, are actually really subtle and interesting, in their very early 20th century way.  There are several holes that make use of a front/side bunker that creates a ramp that makes accessing front/center pins difficult, as well as some very tricky hole locations near a false front where if you miss just a little, the ball is rolling off the green.

Its not a long course, however it is often tight and you should embrace this.  There are several holes where I hit driving/4 iron off the tee, and some holes where you really need to hit the correct side of the fairway to get a good angle into the green.  Unfortunately, 11 and 12 were neutered to keep people from slicing balls into the neighborhood, but 11 is still interesting as a par 3.

One thing I really like about playing in the area is that, unless you're on heavy soil right next to a river, when conditions dry out, the native character of the turf/soil is really pretty firm - seems like glacial till, etc.  

After that neutering I fell out of love with Jefferson.  Guess I was sorta the opposite of you.  I drive past Jefferson and play West Seattle much more often now.

1 hour ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

After that neutering I fell out of love with Jefferson.  Guess I was sorta the opposite of you.  I drive past Jefferson and play West Seattle much more often now.

I get it, except for 14/15/16, which I hate, West Seattle is better overall although I don’t find the greens that exciting.  I like the course though!  I like 17 and 18 a lot, and 13 is a really good par 3.

Edited by Chief Penguin

Played 3 rounds at Gamble Sands over the last 2 days.  Enjoyed it as much as last time except for the last 6-7 holes on the 2nd day.  It got really windy and the sand from the bunkers was flying around and getting in my eyes.  Probably didn't help that I was really tired from walking my 2nd round that day.  Not in golf shape this year yet. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mustu said:

Played 3 rounds at Gamble Sands over the last 2 days.  Enjoyed it as much as last time except for the last 6-7 holes on the 2nd day.  It got really windy and the sand from the bunkers was flying around and getting in my eyes.  Probably didn't help that I was really tired from walking my 2nd round that day.  Not in golf shape this year yet. 

How were the course conditions? How was the onsite food if you ate there?

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

2 hours ago, thezinfan said:

How were the course conditions? How was the onsite food if you ate there?

I thought the course conditions were good.  The fairways were firm and fast.  Greens maybe slightly bumpy like they were punched and sanded a few weeks ago and haven't quite completely healed yet.  The snack shack wasn't open and no cart service at least those 2 days so important to bring your own snack, water and drinks.  I think the restaurant food  is pretty mediocre and the selection is too small.   It's too bad because there isn't much in Brewster so you end up eating a lot of meals at Danny Boy if you stay at the resort.  The rooms are fantastic though.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mustu said:

I thought the course conditions were good.  The fairways were firm and fast.  Greens maybe slightly bumpy like they were punched and sanded a few weeks ago and haven't quite completely healed yet.  The snack shack wasn't open and no cart service at least those 2 days so important to bring your own snack, water and drinks.  I think the restaurant food  is pretty mediocre and the selection is too small.   It's too bad because there isn't much in Brewster so you end up eating a lot of meals at Danny Boy if you stay at the resort.  The rooms are fantastic though.

We are staying in Pateros, so gonna hit Chelan for a meal or two.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I was at Gamble Sands this weekend and played 4 rounds. This was the earliest in the season that I have been to Gamble as past trips have taken place in July/Aug/Sept. I've been in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 previously. I have to agree with @TFavorthat the course conditions were not up to snuff...

Being that it is April and they recently opened for the season, the entire course has had aerification/punches along with top dressing/sanding. We were not getting the normal amount roll out on fairways that I am used to later in the year. The greens, while punched and filled, some had very soft landing that would kill a lot of the roll where you would expect to get some normally. Nothing plugged anywhere but some balls landing would just die the ball in some places. That said, I didnt think they were slow but they were slowER compared to what I am used to at Gamble. There was some areas where you would get some bouncing on your putts and other greens would roll true. The practice green by the 1st hole was the best green on the course lol. Overall, the course was firm but there were certain areas where if you hit to a slope (fairway or green complex) and expect to roll down, that some balls stopped and didnt come down which was frustrating because of what you expected that shot to do once it hit the ground. The conditions will only get better as the course heals and the weather gets warmer.

We had a group of 16 and had a few meals at the Danny Boy. Like @Mustusaid, the menu is pretty limited and I wasn't super impressed with the quality, but it is the only option on site and overall it was acceptable for me. Service was limited as there was only a few staff. Chatting with the bar manager, he said it will get better once they get the college kids to come work during the summer months. The Outpost at hole #10 was open for us Fri-Sun. We were able to use golf carts and I believe it was one of the first weeks they were allowed. 

We did the putting course one evening but ran out of daylight and had to run off to dinner. That green since it opened has always been a little "fuzzy" with a longer cut compared to greens on the course. 

I really do enjoy Gamble Sands but in the future I will stick to going in the summer months when I go. I'd like to get a crack at Quicksands, the new 14 hole par 3 course. It looks like an absolute blast and it opens this Saturday May 1.

I did pry a few folks working there about when the second 18 hole course will get built. Still seems pretty hush hush but there are definitely plans in place for a second full course in addition to more lodging and another restaurant. Unsure of timeline but one seemed to think that they might be breaking ground this year on the new course.... we will see!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, R4haehl said:

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I was at Gamble Sands this weekend and played 4 rounds. This was the earliest in the season that I have been to Gamble as past trips have taken place in July/Aug/Sept. I've been in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 previously. I have to agree with @TFavorthat the course conditions were not up to snuff...

Being that it is April and they recently opened for the season, the entire course has had aerification/punches along with top dressing/sanding. We were not getting the normal amount roll out on fairways that I am used to later in the year. The greens, while punched and filled, some had very soft landing that would kill a lot of the roll where you would expect to get some normally. Nothing plugged anywhere but some balls landing would just die the ball in some places. That said, I didnt think they were slow but they were slowER compared to what I am used to at Gamble. There was some areas where you would get some bouncing on your putts and other greens would roll true. The practice green by the 1st hole was the best green on the course lol. Overall, the course was firm but there were certain areas where if you hit to a slope (fairway or green complex) and expect to roll down, that some balls stopped and didnt come down which was frustrating because of what you expected that shot to do once it hit the ground. The conditions will only get better as the course heals and the weather gets warmer.

We had a group of 16 and had a few meals at the Danny Boy. Like @Mustusaid, the menu is pretty limited and I wasn't super impressed with the quality, but it is the only option on site and overall it was acceptable for me. Service was limited as there was only a few staff. Chatting with the bar manager, he said it will get better once they get the college kids to come work during the summer months. The Outpost at hole #10 was open for us Fri-Sun. We were able to use golf carts and I believe it was one of the first weeks they were allowed. 

We did the putting course one evening but ran out of daylight and had to run off to dinner. That green since it opened has always been a little "fuzzy" with a longer cut compared to greens on the course. 

I really do enjoy Gamble Sands but in the future I will stick to going in the summer months when I go. I'd like to get a crack at Quicksands, the new 14 hole par 3 course. It looks like an absolute blast and it opens this Saturday May 1.

I did pry a few folks working there about when the second 18 hole course will get built. Still seems pretty hush hush but there are definitely plans in place for a second full course in addition to more lodging and another restaurant. Unsure of timeline but one seemed to think that they might be breaking ground this year on the new course.... we will see!

I've only been last October and then last week.  I've avoided going in the summer cause I'm afraid of the 90+ degree temps (Puget Sounder who hates hot weather).  I like walking and don't think I could handle it in the heat.  May have to try it though if the conditions are that much better.  

5 hours ago, Mustu said:

I've only been last October and then last week.  I've avoided going in the summer cause I'm afraid of the 90+ degree temps (Puget Sounder who hates hot weather).  I like walking and don't think I could handle it in the heat.  May have to try it though if the conditions are that much better.  

September should be pretty comfortable temp wise, but yeah it can definitely get warm during the summer. I generally walk about 85% of my rounds (Seattle based) and I have walked Gamble a few times but the last 2 trips or so have been with guys who generally cart when they play. Didn't feel like being the only guy walking. I would definitely try going in the summer if I was you to experience the course in peak conditions

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Played Newcastle China Creek yesterday... and ho boy. I don't usually have nice things to say about Newcastle and yesterday just reaffirmed it. I run a golf league where the guys wanted to get Oki cards and play all of the Oki courses this year, which is why we wound up there. Some thoughts.

1. The round was "free" after the complimentary Oki round. Minus the $17 bucket (!!!) of balls to warm up.

2. The course is super burned out or drenched in low spots. Plugging in fairways or hitting off of dirt for $150 rack rate blows me away.

3. I hadn't played China Creek before, just Coal. It's very hard to navigate the first time out with all of the blind shots, even with a yardage book. I'm surprised there's no GPS in the carts given that. 3, 6, 9, 12 stand out as shots we didn't really know what to do or where to hit.

4. I have a pet peeve when a course does nothing to help you determine pin position- front, middle, back. Whether flag color, small flag on the stick, pin zones, whatever. Lost several strokes where I would have hit a different club to the fat part of the green knowing if the pin were up or back.

5. I'll give them credit- the one bright spot were their bunkers. They were in great shape and really nice to hit out of.

I'm not trying to be that guy and constantly badger it, but how they can charge $150 and have people out there blows me away. If you're willing to drive 45-60 minutes, there are so much better options. Even if not, Druids Glenn, Echo Falls are better golf courses in my mind at a fraction of the cost. Mount Si is just as good of a golf course to me as well (hot take) and a fraction of the cost as well.

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

24 minutes ago, kaschreiber said:

Played Newcastle China Creek yesterday... and ho boy. I don't usually have nice things to say about Newcastle and yesterday just reaffirmed it. I run a golf league where the guys wanted to get Oki cards and play all of the Oki courses this year, which is why we wound up there. Some thoughts.

1. The round was "free" after the complimentary Oki round. Minus the $17 bucket (!!!) of balls to warm up.

2. The course is super burned out or drenched in low spots. Plugging in fairways or hitting off of dirt for $150 rack rate blows me away.

3. I hadn't played China Creek before, just Coal. It's very hard to navigate the first time out with all of the blind shots, even with a yardage book. I'm surprised there's no GPS in the carts given that. 3, 6, 9, 12 stand out as shots we didn't really know what to do or where to hit.

4. I have a pet peeve when a course does nothing to help you determine pin position- front, middle, back. Whether flag color, small flag on the stick, pin zones, whatever. Lost several strokes where I would have hit a different club to the fat part of the green knowing if the pin were up or back.

5. I'll give them credit- the one bright spot were their bunkers. They were in great shape and really nice to hit out of.

I'm not trying to be that guy and constantly badger it, but how they can charge $150 and have people out there blows me away. If you're willing to drive 45-60 minutes, there are so much better options. Even if not, Druids Glenn, Echo Falls are better golf courses in my mind at a fraction of the cost. Mount Si is just as good of a golf course to me as well (hot take) and a fraction of the cost as well.

Well said post. Played Coal early June; China two weeks ago. Not sure I'll be heading back or getting the Oki card next year.