2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Big Break Mexico... (merged)

78Staff

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor looking nice in that orange shirt.

Taylor may be the best looking Big Breaker yet, or at least top 5.

I respectfully disagree.

Lori Atsedes.

lori_atsedes_action_2.jpg

Oh Marone

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Too many gnome jokes. Apparently each player got to bring one home.

One terrible residue of Leibelei's shot: The producers can abuse the lazy you-never-know transitional clips, whenever somebody is at huge disadvantage.

Also too much circle chalk in this version. They got away from it completely in Big Break Ireland.

Once Brent or Leibelei is eliminated, I hope the team aspect is jettisoned and they use stroke play to isolate the finalists. That might not be fair to Team Maya.

If Team Maya manages to eliminate both Brent and Matthew while holding all 4 of their players together, then all 4 players should get the prize. That would just be one hell of an accomplishment.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I know both Brent and Leibelei played well in the elimination challenge but the yardage on the par 3 and par 5 (130 yards and 510 yards for Brent) (117 yards and 417 for Leibelei) is a complete joke. The goal of these players is to make it on their respective tour and they are setting the courses up like short courses for junior players. I enjoy the show but honestly this is no challenge at all for where they want to be. If you hit it passed the pin, the balled rolled back to 15 feet. If you hit a ball 50 yards left of the fairway you should be punished but they picked an easy resort course and moved the yardages to junior tees.

[quote name='Titleistman1010' timestamp='1373559012' post='7432216']
I know both Brent and Leibelei played well in the elimination challenge but the yardage on the par 3 and par 5 (130 yards and 510 yards for Brent) (117 yards and 417 for Leibelei) is a complete joke. The goal of these players is to make it on their respective tour and they are setting the courses up like short courses for junior players. I enjoy the show but honestly this is no challenge at all for where they want to be. If you hit it passed the pin, the balled rolled back to 15 feet. If you hit a ball 50 yards left of the fairway you should be punished but they picked an easy resort course and moved the yardages to junior tees.
[/quote]

I do agree that Brent is playing a bit closer than most overly-long PGA tour courses. But I also think the length the courses on the PGA Tour are getting is rediculous. Although, with the par 5 being 519, even a 300 yard drive leaves nearly 220 in which is a mid to long iron, even for the longball hitters on tour.

Lala on the other hand is playing a pretty respectable distance for the majority of the course on the LPGA. On the par 5, I think it was the second time they played it, she hit a hybrid in. The course the LPGA is playing this week is ~6300yds.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373560382' post='7432332']
Although, with the par 5 being 519, even a 300 yard drive leaves nearly 220 in which is a mid to long iron, even for the longball hitters on tour.
[/quote]

Math like that almost never works out in reality. If the hole was dead straight, perfectly flat, the pin was in the middle and you hit is exactly down the middle, sure. Hole measurements are almost never line of sight, but rather track the middle of the fairway and very rarely include pin position.

[quote name='Titleistman1010' timestamp='1373559012' post='7432216']
[/quote]

I get your point, but when it's a two-player stroke-play situation, it doesn't really matter to me if the length is ridiculously short or not. Even if the hole is an easy birdie, it's about beating the other guy (or gal.) So for my mind, in a one-on-one elimination situation, an easy hole makes for more entertaining viewing.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='mbell697' timestamp='1373562862' post='7432636']
Although, with the par 5 being 519, even a 300 yard drive leaves nearly 220 in which is a mid to long iron, even for the longball hitters on tour.
[/quote]

Math like that almost never works out in reality. If the hole was dead straight, perfectly flat, the pin was in the middle and you hit is exactly down the middle, sure. Hole measurements are almost never line of sight, but rather track the middle of the fairway and very rarely include pin position.
[/quote]

I agree with that, but I was talking about the hole they were playing. It was an ever so slight bend to the left but was fairly straight. I think they said after his first tee shot which he pulled, he had like 230 in and his second one that he bombed he had around 200 in which would still be close to that math.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1373381250' post='7416660']
[quote name='poops' timestamp='1373378000' post='7416280']
What a cliffhanger... I thought Barbara Streisand was going home too... She's giving Brent a run for his money. Best editing job on this show in it's history. Was not expecting her to make that bunker shot. Streisand was also hitting some incredible hybrid shots - much kudos to her!
[/quote]

Barbara Streisand LOL
[/quote]

LMAO too!!!!

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373564302' post='7432814']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with that, but I was talking about the hole they were playing. It was an ever so slight bend to the left but was fairly straight. I think they said after his first tee shot which he pulled, he had like 230 in and his second one that he bombed he had around 200 in which would still be close to that math.
[/quote]

He had:

218 (duck hooked onto the wrong fairway)

She had:

It's ~470 yards from where the men's tee was straight to where the pin was according to google earth, ~395 from the women's tee.

That hole isn't a par 5 for anyone trying to play at their level.

[quote name='mbell697' timestamp='1373568424' post='7433334']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He had:

She had:

It's ~470 yards from where the men's tee was straight to where the pin was according to google earth, ~395 from the women's tee.

[/quote]

So instead of trading birdies and eagles, they were trading pars and birdies. Still good golf, still entertaining. Who cares what the Par on the scorecard says, and it's even more irrelevant in match play.

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1373569053' post='7433394']
Funniest quote from last night. During the playoff someplace Brent says " I might have barked up the wrong tree". Truer words were never spoken.
[/quote]

LOL! I had a good chuckle when he said that to. I hate to see either one of these players go. Brent seems like just a good ol country boy and while everyone talks about how hot Taylor is ( and I agree she is) LaLa ain't exactly ugly and she has a good attitude as well.

Imagine if Brent had defeated Chad in the final putting location. Leibelei's phenomenal shot never would have happened. Brent would have carried a 1/2 shot advantage into elimination.

If anything should convince the producers to dump that stupid idea, this is it. Besides, it's nothing but laziness and convenience at the expense of golf. A few eliminations extended too many holes several seasons ago so beginning with Indian Wells they manufactured a rationale to include a 1/2 shot edge.

The par 5 distance gaps may seem advantageous to the women but the men often gobble up the difference with the tee shot alone. The men virtually always hit shorter clubs into the par 5s. That's why Brandel Chamblee argues that the LPGA should shorten its courses to encourage more birdie opportunities and lower scores. I don't necessarily agree with it but I understand the logic. Big Break seems to understand the distance relationship better than the tours. If the LPGA set this up, Brent would be playing from maybe 525 and Leibelei from 470. It would look sensible until both drives stopped rolling.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1373572544' post='7433844']
[quote name='mbell697' timestamp='1373568424' post='7433334']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He had:

She had:

[/quote]

So instead of trading birdies and eagles, they were trading pars and birdies. Still good golf, still entertaining. Who cares what the Par on the scorecard says, and it's even more irrelevant in match play.
[/quote]

Agree completely. I think the last episode was one of the most entertaining in the entire series. Loved the cliffhanger ending, too.

On a related note - who here would love to see a 'fans vs. competitors' challenge on this show?? Other reality TV shows have done that and it's usually an entertaining bit.

I'd love to see Golf Channel go back thru the various Big Break threads here, find people who dogged individual competitors, contact them and have them come out during one of the 'reunion' seasons and have that competitor play a challenge against the person who talked smack about them.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1373670360' post='7443846']
I'll be bummed if Brent loses, but does appear that is what will happen. He has some major ability, and seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Doesn't seem to get to high or low mentally, but patiently and calmly goes about his business.
[/quote]

Why does it appear that Brent loses?

I'll be bummed if Brent loses, but does appear that is what will happen. He has some major ability, and seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Doesn't seem to get to high or low mentally, but patiently and calmly goes about his business.
[/quote]

I agree. I think he's one of the best players the Big Break has ever seen.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1373853483' post='7454910']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree but I also think this cast has some pretty darn good players. I think Taylor is a total baller for the women and Jay is also very solid. It's a fun season to watch as there seem to be 4 or 5 very talented players. I can't recall this much talent in one cast (although I have not watched every season).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1373894411' post='7456782']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1373853483' post='7454910']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree but I also think this cast has some pretty darn good players. I think Taylor is a total baller for the women and Jay is also very solid. It's a fun season to watch as there seem to be 4 or 5 very talented players. I can't recall this much talent in one cast (although I have not watched every season).
[/quote]

I agree. Even before last episode, it seemed like there was fewer bad shots and a lot more really good shots. It's been a really strong season and fun to watch.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1373894411' post='7456782']
[size=4]I agree but I also think this cast has some pretty darn good players. I think Taylor is a total baller for the women and Jay is also very solid. It's a fun season to watch as there seem to be 4 or 5 very talented players. I can't recall this much talent in one cast (although I have not watched every season).[/size]
[/quote]

Taylor seems to be "up" for BB, playing well above her previously shown skill levels, and present as well. 2012 Symetra Tour results were mediocre, 77th on the money list with a scoring avg around 75. This year her position is worse, 110 on the money list although her scoring average is basically the same. She seems to be making the shots on the "game show" format of BB, but over a round of golf it doesn't appear her game is able to hold up, unfortunately. :([size=4] [/size]

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I am liking this version of big break a lot more than the previous one, although it is harder for the best player to win than it was on greenbrier

910D3 9.5 Fubuki K 70x
910F Aldila RIP x
Taylormade SLDR 21* stiff
Carousel of irons
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5
Vokey SM5 Raw Black 52F 56M 60L

does anyone know the company that makes brents hat?

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]