Big Break Mexico... (merged)

78Staff

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373989384' post='7465100'] Also, did anyone catch what they are going to air in October? Big Break: NFL They apparently are still going to have 2 people trying to get on tour (1 male/1 female) but they are accompanied by football players whom are playing for charities. Here is a link to the article I read [url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/big-break-nfl-features-football-legends/"]http://www.golfchann...otball-legends/[/url] [/quote]

Thanks for that link. So it's a reunion show with a twist. Good idea. I wasn't sure the personalities from recent seasons were enough to carry a reunion show on their own. Not too many high profile conflicts that had to be revisited.

It will certainly be the most crowded Big Break, with 18 players.

Now we know where it was filmed...Puerto Rico. That explains Tom Abbott's tan when he returned. Some of us guessed it might be an island location but I thought it might be in the west, based on Meghan Hardin tweeting she returned to California from Atlantic City. That was probably a fib.

BTW, according to a post from Mr22putt in the LPGA forum, the first Big Break of 2014 will be ladies only. He talked to a player who might try out. They'll undoubtedly hold tryouts at the late season Symetra and Cactus tour events. I wish I had a name for nomination, like Taylor last year. That would be difficult to match.

[quote name='Shiram' timestamp='1373991292' post='7465362']
What's up with Brent sending every third tee shot off the planet? He's lucky the course they are playing does not seem to be very penal. Good for him for getting it up and down from off the planet though. His scrambling seems to be pretty good. [/quote]

His backswing seems to vary quite a bit, although it's difficult to tell based on different angles and gimmicks like slow motion. On that drive that missed wild right last night he took it back far outside.

why does it always seem that when someone on BB hits one into the woods they have a shot out? Chad's ball is in a jungle but sitting up nice in a trail with an easy out. I don't think I've seen anyone have to take an unplayable or have a lost ball on that show. Also, I don't think Brent's drives have been so far off line. Yes he is not hitting fairways but it is not like some others in previous episodes who hit them deep into the woods or onto other fairways. He is usually right off the rough and not deep into the woods.

Without seeing the course in person, it is hard to tell, but it seems that even though Brent is wild with the driver, he has more often than not missed in places where he knew he wouldn't be dead (other fairways or open waste areas for example). I am guessing that when left isn't in jail, he tries to really bomb it, because that is his usual miss (or at least it has been on the show).

Missing the fairway by a lot isn't terrible if you know where it is going to miss and plan accordingly.

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1374004088' post='7467158']
Am I the only one that thinks Chad's ball was moved by producers to allow the drama to continue and not have his time on the show end with an unplayable?
[/quote]

There have been a bunch of shots that looked like they were toast only to magically be in an open area with the player having a shot.

[quote name='Huntster' timestamp='1374004726' post='7467218']
Am I the only one that thinks Chad's ball was moved by producers to allow the drama to continue and not have his time on the show end with an unplayable?
[/quote]

There have been a bunch of shots that looked like they were toast only to magically be in an open area with the player having a shot.
[/quote]

It's the dog, I tell ya; the dog!

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1373991048' post='7465330']
[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373989384' post='7465100']
During the elimination challenge, I am guessing they altered who they showed hit first on the last hole? Jay hit a shot inside the circle from about 70yds and then Matt had to hit the green but was near 100yds. Did they actually have Jay hit first even though he was closer or just editing to make it look more suspenseful?
[/quote]

I think they did have Jay play first since he looked back down the fairway and made a nice comment towards Matt. I forget what he said. I thought the same thing until he said something in Matt's direction after hitting.
[/quote]

I though it was odd also, then though maybe they were playing by points order, not distance from the hole?

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1374001933' post='7466864']
why does it always seem that when someone on BB hits one into the woods they have a shot out? Chad's ball is in a jungle but sitting up nice in a trail with an easy out. I don't think I've seen anyone have to take an unplayable or have a lost ball on that show. Also, I don't think Brent's drives have been so far off line. Yes he is not hitting fairways but it is not like some others in previous episodes who hit them deep into the woods or onto other fairways. He is usually right off the rough and not deep into the woods.
[/quote]

wasn't there one episode where brent re-tee after a ball into the woods? i seem to recall that, but not sure

[/quote]

[quote name='Huntster' timestamp='1374004726' post='7467218']
[/quote]

See my previous post that I've pasted below. Chad's spot and lie was ridiculous for the shot he hit. Brent's shot on that same hole ripped through some trees but was right off the rough in an open spot.

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1374001933' post='7466864']
[/quote]

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1373998561' post='7466400']
[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373989384' post='7465100'] Also, did anyone catch what they are going to air in October? Big Break: NFL They apparently are still going to have 2 people trying to get on tour (1 male/1 female) but they are accompanied by football players whom are playing for charities. Here is a link to the article I read [url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/big-break-nfl-features-football-legends/"]http://www.golfchann...otball-legends/[/url] [/quote]

Thanks for that link. So it's a reunion show with a twist. Good idea. I wasn't sure the personalities from recent seasons were enough to carry a reunion show on their own. Not too many high profile conflicts that had to be revisited.

BTW, according to a post from Mr22putt in the LPGA forum, the first Big Break of 2014 will be ladies only. He talked to a player who might try out. They'll undoubtedly hold tryouts at the late season Symetra and Cactus tour events. I wish I had a name for nomination, like Taylor last year. That would be difficult to match.
[/quote]

Well I guess we still see if any of those NFL'rs are sporting vanity caps, anyway.

From Symetra... Alexandria Buelow maybe, or Brianna Do would be decent choices maybe... Kendall Dye too.

Really, as much as we "fawn" over the BB girls, for the most part they seem to languish in relative mediocrity on the Symetra Tour, in the 50-150 range money list wise... Bri Vega, Carling, Sara, Mallory, Alvarez, Shannon, Blair, Jaques, etc...even Talley, Stephanie and Taylor from the current season are going nowhere - 45, 53, and 110th place on the money list, respectively.

Everyone this year is all googly about how great Taylor is, but the reality is she is a middling player on the Symetra tour with one top 10 in two years, 75-ish scoring average, and 77th and 110th on the money list this year and last.

But hey, she's better than me, and I sure enjoy watching her :).

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Brent was my early pick to win but I think he is too wild off the tee.

I'm picking Matt to beat Jay in the finals.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 5-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I'm interested to see how Jay and Taylor handle things now. They've been able to get away with doing the minimum thus far, at least as it relates to amount of golf they've played. They've won a lot of immunity challenges and neither have played in an elimination challenge. I hope no one has an epic meltdown in the remaining elimination challenges, I don't expect it though all four appear to be solid players. I could definitely see Matt and Brent in the finale though.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1374009820' post='7467878'] Really, as much as we "fawn" over the BB girls, for the most part they seem to languish in relative mediocrity on the Symetra Tour, in the 50-150 range money list wise... Bri Vega, Carling, Sara, Mallory, Alvarez, Shannon, Blair, Jaques, etc...even Talley, Stephanie and Taylor from the current season are going nowhere - 45, 53, and 110th place on the money list, respectively.

Everyone this year is all googly about how great Taylor is, but the reality is she is a middling player on the Symetra tour with one top 10 in two years, 75-ish scoring average, and 77th and 110th on the money list this year and last.

[/quote]

Taylor was T3 entering the final round a few weeks ago. She fell apart to 77 for T29, after hitting a very long drive that rolled through the fairway and led to a triple. Otherwise the Big Breakers really haven't contended on Symetra this year.

I think Kelly Jacques is still reeling a bit after narrowly missing full LPGA status in the final round of Q School. She's playing a mixed schedule on Symetra and LPGA, with disappointing results.

Kim Kaufman would be ideal for Big Break but she's done too much already, like Kathleen Ekey a couple of years ago. More chance of an LPGA card than trying out for Big Break. Likewise, Brianna Do is probably above that level, after her amateur success.

I think Joanna Coe has a chance to be picked. It seems like a natural fit. She's a second year player on Symetra. Once they've been there many years the Big Break producers have likely passed on them many times. Coe is a solid player with the 74 to 75 type scoring average that seems to work on Big Break. She has a resume a bit similar to Charlotte Campbell, winner of Highway 18. Both from Rollins College and Division II national champions. Coe has qualified for one US Open. Since Charlotte is now married to a Golf Channel employee, that might be an edge toward Coe's name being known within the company.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1373991532' post='7465400']
[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1373991048' post='7465330']
[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1373989384' post='7465100']
During the elimination challenge, I am guessing they altered who they showed hit first on the last hole? Jay hit a shot inside the circle from about 70yds and then Matt had to hit the green but was near 100yds. Did they actually have Jay hit first even though he was closer or just editing to make it look more suspenseful?
[/quote]

I think they did have Jay play first since he looked back down the fairway and made a nice comment towards Matt. I forget what he said. I thought the same thing until he said something in Matt's direction after hitting.
[/quote]

I was confused by this too but the comment Jay said could have gone either way. He said, if I heard correctly 'No Pressure ____' (I missed the last word here and he def. didn't say Matt. I at first thought it was Matt's last name but he def. didn't say Galloway). He either said it as a respectful smack talk to Matt that many of us would said while in competitions with friends or the video had been altered and he was making a comment in jest that he hit a great shot with no pressure (that would assume because Matt hit the green they were done).
[/quote]

That is what happened. I talked to Jay today at the state open and asked about that comment. He said that Matt had already stuffed it and the way it was edited made it sound like he was talking smack. Not Jay's exact words, but what I got out of it. Also I might post his WITB shots here if anybody is interested.

WITB:

Who knows?

I think Kendall Dye has been passed over...and as Awsi says....if a gal has played Symetra for a while....they too have been passed over.

I wonder if WRX fav.....Courtney Harter auditioned?.....if GC casting turn her down...they are confused.
look at this link for many pictures.
If Courtney got onto BB she would easily be the all time BB babe winner.
I saw her in a Cdn tour event in 2012....never heard of her b4.
[url="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=courtney+harter+golf&oq=courtney+harter&gs_l=img.1.1.0l3j0i24l2.1991.15451.0.22860.15.14.0.1.1.0.96.1140.14.14.0....0.0..1ac.1.20.img.TtRpjsizRPU"]http://www.google.ca...img.TtRpjsizRPU[/url]

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1374033698' post='7470552']
I think Kendall Dye has been passed over...and as Awsi says....if a gal has played Symetra for a while....they too have been passed over.

I wonder if WRX fav.....Courtney Harter auditioned?.....if GC casting turn her down...they are confused.
I discovered her in a Cdn tour event in 2012....never heard of her b4.
[url="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=courtney+harter+golf&oq=courtney+harter&gs_l=img.1.1.0l3j0i24l2.1991.15451.0.22860.15.14.0.1.1.0.96.1140.14.14.0....0.0..1ac.1.20.img.TtRpjsizRPU"]http://www.google.ca...img.TtRpjsizRPU[/url]
[/quote]

She's got an Ivanka Trump thing going on. I like.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

This Big Break is probably my favorite so far. Have to admit I was crushed when Brent picked Liebelei to go against since they are my two favorites, but their match couldn't have been any more epic. They have been hyping up Brent quite a bit and have been the whole show, but I think Jay would take him. I also never thought Matthew would last as long as he has either.

I miss La La already.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1374009820' post='7467878']
...even Talley, Stephanie and Taylor from the current season are going nowhere - 45, 53, and 110th place on the money list, respectively.

[/quote]

Interesting that their current rankings are the opposite of the order in which they were eliminated on BB.

[quote name='sammhk' timestamp='1374036284' post='7470760']
[/quote]it was a sneaky little mexican in the woods.
[/quote]

It was that damn gnome i bet

If the people had the game for the tour they wouldn't be on big break. If you take a couple hundred really good golfers (some guys I think have zero shot but anyone who has played a web.com or qualified for a Major event is legit) a couple will make the jump in the next couple of years. That is pretty much what we are seeing. Most though will continue to play to the same level they have been.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1374020194' post='7468976']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1374009820' post='7467878'] Really, as much as we "fawn" over the BB girls, for the most part they seem to languish in relative mediocrity on the Symetra Tour, in the 50-150 range money list wise... Bri Vega, Carling, Sara, Mallory, Alvarez, Shannon, Blair, Jaques, etc...even Talley, Stephanie and Taylor from the current season are going nowhere - 45, 53, and 110th place on the money list, respectively.

[/quote]

Taylor was T3 entering the final round a few weeks ago. She fell apart to 77 for T29, after hitting a very long drive that rolled through the fairway and led to a triple. Otherwise the Big Breakers really haven't contended on Symetra this year.

I think Kelly Jacques is still reeling a bit after narrowly missing full LPGA status in the final round of Q School. She's playing a mixed schedule on Symetra and LPGA, with disappointing results.

Kim Kaufman would be ideal for Big Break but she's done too much already, like Kathleen Ekey a couple of years ago. More chance of an LPGA card than trying out for Big Break. Likewise, Brianna Do is probably above that level, after her amateur success.

I think Joanna Coe has a chance to be picked. It seems like a natural fit. She's a second year player on Symetra. Once they've been there many years the Big Break producers have likely passed on them many times. Coe is a solid player with the 74 to 75 type scoring average that seems to work on Big Break. She has a resume a bit similar to Charlotte Campbell, winner of Highway 18. Both from Rollins College and Division II national champions. Coe has qualified for one US Open. Since Charlotte is now married to a Golf Channel employee, that might be an edge toward Coe's name being known within the company.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not only that, but I thought he flubbed the shot out of the woods. Looked fishy to me.

[quote name='jarvis' timestamp='1373949374' post='7462844']
Might have been the editing but chad seemed really full of himself this episode. Couldn't help but root for brent to put him in his place.
[/quote]

He's been "edited" as an arrogant player the whole show. But other than sink one long putt (that he initially misread) he hadn't done anything to back it up. The whole "Brent is scared of me because he won't look me in the eye" act was tiresome. I wouldn't look at him either - I'd be too tempted to pop him one. I find most of the guys who brag about their game don't have the actual game to back it up. Chad proved the theory.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1374032668' post='7470466']
I like Taylor's 'no crying' attitude.
Next week is the last show.......Brent has the most talent.....in the preview....they spoke about how good he is...is this to throw us off that he is not the winner.
[/quote]

Is next week the last show, I though they had two more...I could be wrong though.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1374033698' post='7470552']

I saw her in a Cdn tour event in 2012....never heard of her b4.
[/quote]

Kendall tweeted a while back about "should i apply..." so I got the impression she hadn't applied before, but who knows...

Courtney would be a great pic :) She also seems to fit the middle of the pack mold they tend to pull from.

Was talking to semi-local player Stephanie Connelly about BB a few months ago, and she didn't seem to interested or impressed with it very much at all, iirc. but she would be good candidate too I think.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2