2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Big Break Mexico... (merged)

78Staff

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1374605126' post='7523440']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1374555424' post='7519688']
[size=4]I love that she calls everyone kid. In my first months in Las Vegas in the '80s there was an old guy who abused that term. He loved how it got under the skin of guys in their 20s. He'd whisper to me that if they couldn't handle something tame like that, they'd never make it in town. I think he batted 1000.[/size]
[/quote]
I don't like how Taylor calls people her own age, kid.....[/quote]

It has just the right amount of shock value without being insulting. On her twitter page she emphasizes that sarcasm is her game.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1374590617' post='7521406']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1374562700' post='7519946']
Taylor pulled out of the Syracuse event on the Symetra Tour this week. That was the tournament she planned to play as of a few weeks ago, when she agreed to let a twitter fan try out as her caddie.

This will allow her to be home in Ft. Lauderdale when the finale airs. Not sure what to make of it. There have been losers who held viewing parties with family and friends. It was easier to pick the winner when Golfgal conducted the weekly audio interviews with a handful of contestants.
[/quote]

The Syracuse event ends on Sunday, so she could still play and be home Monday, so could be unrelated. Or a smokescreen. Or a GC request. But, if I didn't win I sure wouldn't let GC dictate my professional schedule :).[/quote]

It would have been tough to make it home by 9 PM Monday. Taylor drove or took a bus back to Ft. Lauderdale from Boston last weekend. Someone on twitter asked her why she didn't fly and she responded that she's broke. Yet she mentions that she'll be flying overseas soon. The Big Break contestants aren't paid until the final episode airs. Of course, Taylor did win $5000 last night by winning the semi vs. Brent, and I think she accumulated some team cash. That could enable a trip even if she loses.

[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1374584994' post='7520748']
Sad to see the two best golfers with the most potential beat themselves last night. I think if the matches were 9 holes instead of 4 they would have both righted the ship and be in the finale. It would have been great to see a Brent v.s. Jay birdie fest final episode.

For me this takes the wind out of the sails of the final match but I'll still be watching. [/quote]

I know what you mean. This thread sat all but dormant last night after Taylor won. Seemingly everyone wanted her to stick around for eye candy, but bow out tamely before the final.

This version had great distribution until the end. A final of Jay vs. Brent probably would have provoked "predictions" and analysis all week, maybe the most anticipated match since Danielle vs. Pam.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1374607400' post='7523716']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1374590617' post='7521406']
Taylor pulled out of the Syracuse event on the Symetra Tour this week. That was the tournament she planned to play as of a few weeks ago, when she agreed to let a twitter fan try out as her caddie.

This will allow her to be home in Ft. Lauderdale when the finale airs. Not sure what to make of it. There have been losers who held viewing parties with family and friends. It was easier to pick the winner when Golfgal conducted the weekly audio interviews with a handful of contestants.
[/quote]

The Syracuse event ends on Sunday, so she could still play and be home Monday, so could be unrelated. Or a smokescreen. Or a GC request. But, if I didn't win I sure wouldn't let GC dictate my professional schedule :).[/quote]

It would have been tough to make it home by 9 PM Monday. Taylor drove or took a bus back to Ft. Lauderdale from Boston last weekend. Someone on twitter asked her why she didn't fly and she responded that she's broke. Yet she mentions that she'll be flying overseas soon. The Big Break contestants aren't paid until the final episode airs. Of course, Taylor did win $5000 last night by winning the semi vs. Brent, and I think she accumulated some team cash. That could enable a trip even if she loses.
[/quote]

Good point, I assumed flying but yeah, most Symetra tour players are drivers for sure.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='Big L' timestamp='1374604198' post='7523324']
[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1374599053' post='7522574']
OK, maybe this is a stupid question but here goes. How was Jay able to play in a state amateur?
[/quote]

Because it was the Virginia State Open
[/quote]

OK, so it is not an amateur tournament? It is open to amateurs and pros then?

[quote name='DFranz1' timestamp='1374610438' post='7524084']
I was hoping for a Brent vs Jay showdown but they both hit bad shots at terrible times.
[/quote]

No kidding. I was really hoping that the GC would treat the final 4 like they do at the Players where the last 2 eliminated play an 18 hole match in front of the final match, maybe for some cash or gift card or something. I just really wanted to see them play each other.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I've really enjoyed this season of BB Mexico. It seemed that the number of weaker players was at a minimum and that there were some really strong players that all deserved to win the title. The golf was good and the drama was kept at a minimum with Jason and Chad, and even most of that seemed manufactured. I was impressed with the play as compared to previous seasons. There appeared to be very little 'choking' during the challenges and elimination matches and there were a high number of quality shots hit when the pressure was on, highlighted by Liebelei, Brent and Taylor, but also shown by Stephanie, Matt, and Chad. Over half the cast can point to a great shot that they hit when the pressure was really on. In previous seasons, there was a lot more talk about being great players in the confessional interviews than was shown on the course.

It's been amazing to see Matt and Brent continuously go to the elimination challenge and win. I really thought those 2 would play in the finals, given their pressure play experience on the show.

As for the ranking of the cast, for the men, Brent and Jay were definitely the cream of the crop, with Matt just a notch below. Chad would be next, then Jason and finally Rob.

As for the women, I thought 5 of the 6 were pretty closely bunched, with only McKenzie outside of that group. Some of the girls need to work more on performing under pressure than their golf fundamentals.

My prediction for the final is Matt by 4 strokes. Didn't Matt post in this thread early in the season and said "Fear the Beard"? I guess he was trying to tell us something.

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1374608863' post='7523908']
[quote name='Big L' timestamp='1374604198' post='7523324']
[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1374599053' post='7522574']
OK, maybe this is a stupid question but here goes. How was Jay able to play in a state amateur?
[/quote]

Because it was the Virginia State Open
[/quote]

OK, so it is not an amateur tournament? It is open to amateurs and pros then?
[/quote]

Yes sir

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.5*
Ping G15 15.5*
Ping G 19*
Adams Idea Pro Black 9031 23*
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 54* SS
Taylormade Milled 58*
Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='tmljeh19' timestamp='1374623678' post='7525542']
Absolutely HATE watching Taylor golf. She was all over the map on the final match and still won. Really sucks seeing Brent lose that way.
[/quote]

I tell you what, Taylor is pretty clutch around the greens though. With that said, no one seemed to be all over the course more than Brent though. Dude seemed to just continually bomb the ball all over the place and then scramble or get great breaks to have a clean shot into the green.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='tmljeh19' timestamp='1374623678' post='7525542']
Absolutely HATE watching Taylor golf. She was all over the map on the final match and still won. Really sucks seeing Brent lose that way.
[/quote]

She reminded me of the way that Seve played. He too was all over the yard but somehow always got up and down when needed. You can't take away from her the first two putts...those were pretty amazing considering the situation.

I read all the producers' weekly blogs on GolfChannel.com, 13 of them. First time I've sampled them in a couple of years. Taylor was all but ignored. That aspect stood out. I think the only time they mentioned her was when she couldn't pronounce Schwarzenegger. I guess you had to be there. It wasn't any more interesting in print than on the show.

At Big Break Prince Edward Island, the producers' blogs contained persistent references to Blair O'Neal, like "Keep an eye on Blair, she could surprise." It was overboard and several of us mentioned it. During that series the message board spotlight was on Gerina among the women. Rightfully so, obviously. The producers' blogs hinted Blair would overachieve. Sure enough, she made the final before losing to Derek Gillespie. This time it's like the producers were determined to avoid the same tipoff and they actually over rotated by mentioning Taylor less than warranted, particularly given all the big putts she made, and the one key chip.

Otherwise, not much stood out. The Lorena show took all day to film because she was only available in one 3-hour window. I didn't realize Brent had tried out several times previously and had almost given up. He was first alternate last year in Big Break Greenbrier. Chad made a big impression in his audition, both in his personality and his golf, but the producers couldn't find out much about his golf background. They took a chance with him. Somehow Jason also had a very positive audition. Obviously that would have been before his dad died.

No mention why we've seen the same few holes time and again, other than a note that hole 8 is difficult to get to, considering all the equipment that has to be moved, so that hole was skipped repeatedly. Seemingly more than half the course will be largely unfamiliar to the players during the final.

Instead of having 20min of commercials, maybe cut that in half and show a few more holes?

So far, been a good match with some great shots and some horrible shots.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Man, hate to see it won like that. I hate blow up loses. Grats to the winner though.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

She got it done when it needed to get done. Long game not quite under control ... but that girl is a serious wedge player.

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

That final match was a snoozer. It really was a disappointing ending to what has otherwise been a terrific season for Big Break.

Congratulations to Taylor, however. She earned it by taking out arguably the best golfer the week before the finale.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I have no idea what others were looking at. I thought that was a terrific finale. Unfortunately the editing did not do justice to Taylor. I suspect there would be a different impression if they had shown holes 11-15 and specifically 15. Taylor had lost a 2-up lead to fall behind for the first time after 14 holes. She's a serious underdog at that point. Then the voice over said she birdied 15 to square the match. However, the clip they showed didn't make sense at all. Taylor is putting from on the green, yet her yellow ball drops into the cup with the flagstick in.

As often happens, the finale is too much for one hour but seldom can justify two hours. This one needed 90 minutes.

Taylor's approach shots and short game held up much better than I expected, considering her status as a low to mid level Symetra Tour player. She might have had a letdown on tour this season, knowing she would collect all the Big Break prizes.

I suspected she might be the winner when she returned home to Ft. Lauderdale last week, skipping a Symetra event, and particularly when she tweeted that she was getting her hair cut. Sounded like fancying herself up for a watch party with family and friends.

She should never die her hair blonde again.

More than anything, a win is significantly more valuable to a female player. Matt can make up 100 grand by caddying on the PGA and picking up decent checks on mini tours. Taylor is lucky to cash for a few hundred here and there on Symetra, losing money almost every event. Besides, Golf Channel and the LPGA like to promote Big Break winners. Invariably a female winner receives a bonus sponsor's exemption to go along with the one she earned on the show. The PGA snoozes.

Chad took some heat on golf forums but I really liked him. I think he rooted for his teammates from the bench more sincerely and impressively than anyone in the history of the series, including tonight.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1375156761' post='7566312']
Then the voice over said she birdied 15 to square the match. However, the clip they showed didn't make sense at all. Taylor is putting from on the green, yet her yellow ball drops into the cup with the flagstick in.
[/quote]

Yeah, looked like she was on the green for that putt. Also I assume they would have made a bigger deal of her making a birdie from off the green that late in the match. Low quality video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrug_I2bnjo

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

This will allow her to be home in Ft. Lauderdale when the finale airs. [size=5][b]Not sure what to make of it.[/b][/size]
[/quote]
+1 :cheesy:[size=4] [/size]

Based on how the show was set-up last week...I had a hunch Taylor would win as a big underdog.

She's so short....therefore has a length disadvantage....I think Taylor is only 5'....if only she was 5'6".....lol.
Yes, there's the shorty's like Ji Ya Shin & Ai Miyazato....but these gals have unbelievable short games to offset their distance disadvantage.

Yes, Taylor has game & was the DII champ.....but that's DII.....if Taylor was LPGA material......she'd have a full ride at DI.

I like Taylor.....she's cute and sassy....but to be realistic......I don't see her as a full exempt LPGA pro.
I think she might be very close to DFL in Lorena's event....didn't Carling Nolan (Coffing).....Ms. Birdie dance finish DFL.

All in all....kudos to win BB, Taylor.....looking at the 12 contestants....she looked like a huge underdog.

I thought Taylor would be the favorite going in given her length off the tee and Matt's lack thereof. Taylor is a solid player. Yes, she has some things she needs to work on, but overall she has talent, isn't afraid to take risks when the stakes are high, and maintains her composure under pressure. Matt did a good job sticking around when he got behind earlier. The finale made for some compelling golf.

I thought it was a good season and finale. Too bad Taylor missed a couple of short putts to close it out earlier in the round.

I was a little surprised we didn't get to see the holes where they were both off in the woods - seemed odd considering how far players missed earlier in the season and never found the deep stuff.

I still think they should have the final four play 36 holes of stroke play over two days to determine the winner.