Wear and tear on irons. Also, new irons? Cleveland or Ping?

ckaiser

Hi all. New here...

I'm 55, play twice a week year round, practice at least once more per week. Currently 14 hdcp, low last year 9. Best round past year, 70. I expect to shoot in the high 70s, low 80s but expect to improve further this year.

Currently playing Cleveland CG16 Tour black irons that are about 2 years old. I've already replaced 3 of the wedges because I wore the grooves off of them. I hit the ball hard and play in AZ, so there are plenty of rocks and sand to wear a clubface. I like black or matte clubs; don't like shiny. Too easy to scratch.

A few things...

One, my PW is wearing out quickly. I'll either need to replace it or replace the set of irons. Also noticed that the other short irons are getting some wear as well. Should I expect to see this kind of wear after 2 years? I would kinda expect so, but wanted to check.

Two; I like these irons, but have not played with any other newer ones. I'm considering replacing the set with either the Cleveland 588s, Ping G25s, or Ping i20s. I consistently hear good things about the Pings but am a bit put off by the thick look, although I've never hit them outside of a store sim bay.

Any ideas what I should expect in the way of performance and durability if I move to any of these iron sets? Looking for real world experience with these or any comparable sets...

Thanks!

Charlie

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you define "worn out" on irons? Personally I wouldn't expect cast clubs to be worn out by now. I would expect so knicks and absolutely some visible paint wear, but the club overall should have allot of life in it.

If you are looking for durability though, Ping is probably known for having some of the most durable clubs in the industry.

The CG16s have the "laser milled" grooves and the very fine grooves between the big ones. These fine grooves are just about gone, and the main grooves on the lower half of the face are worn.

I replaced my 60º wedge a few months ago. I compared the old one and the new one in the store on a launch monitor. The spin rate was around 50% greater with the new wedge (same make/model). Originally, when the club guy told me wedges should be replaced every year, my first thought was "yeah; I'll bet that makes good sense for the store's sales". But after thinking about it and looking at the face of my wedges, I started thinking differently. I was amazed at how much a wedge could wear in a year.

I hear good things about the G25s, though. Still trying to figure out how much of it is marketing. And I'm not sure if, at my level, the I20s might be a better club for me. I'll probably head down to Phoenix in a month or so (3 hour drive for me) and get checked out at the Ping factory... They do a great fitting down there...

Charlie

[color=#800080]i 20 clubs haves wonderful feel. I knows too many on here thinks forged is all that and stuffs , but i 20 irons feel just as good to me. Softer than any cast iron i tried. I personally feel peoples who cannots hit them because they are *thicker* thans some , just are beings dumb abouts the whole thing. Never liked Ping until i was willings to be open minded ands give them fair chances.[/color]

[color=#800080]Same with Titleist woods , ands now all but two clubs are Ping or them.[/color]

I'm a Cleveland lover, but hated the cg16t's.the turf reaction on them just didn't fit anything in my swing. That being said, I went looking for new irons and jumped to a hitting bay with the 588's. They felt hard, heavy, and liking I was swinging stones. I didn't like the feel or response in them at all. I ended up finding a brand new set of CG1 Tours and man did they get it right with these! Great feel, perfect weight, and go through turf like butter. The best feeling club I've ever owned, and that's coming from Titleist 690's and ZM forged before them. If you don't want to break the bank, and want a great iron set in a cool satin, give these a look. Mine are the combo set with the 3/4/5 in cb and 6/7/8/9/pw in mb.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Those laser milled lines are sort of a gimmick. I have some CG7 Black Pearl irons and the milling marks are gone off some of the short irons and the performance is fine. If the groove proper is worn, that's a different matter.

I'd expect both Cleveland and Ping to have similar durability. i20's are chrome plated on top of the stainless so with extreme use you will wear though this. Mostly a cosmetic issue, similar with those lines wearing off. Both are way more durable than any kind of chrome plated carbon steel clubs. Those will start to rust after the chrome is gone.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1365143369' post='6765821']
[color=#800080]i 20 clubs haves wonderful feel. I knows too many on here thinks forged is all that and stuffs , but i 20 irons feel just as good to me. Softer than any cast iron i tried. I personally feel peoples who cannots hit them because they are *thicker* thans some , just are beings dumb abouts the whole thing. Never liked Ping until i was willings to be open minded ands give them fair chances.[/color]

[color=#800080]Same with Titleist woods , ands now all but two clubs are Ping or them.[/color]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. People who do not try this club because of the finish, name brand, or because it being a cast iron are really missing out on a great iron. Couple this with the CFS shaft and you would be hard pressed to find a softer feeling iron. PLUS, it is easy to hit.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

[quote name='ckaiser' timestamp='1365131398' post='6765105']
I consistently hear good things about the Pings but am a bit put off by the thick look, although I've never hit them outside of a store sim bay.
[/quote]

One nice thing about the G25 irons is that the topline has been thinned and they don't look like any previous G Series irons at address. They also have a graduated offset.. I am about an 8 or 9 HC who used to play forged players irons, but as I am getting older I was looking for more foregiveness. The G25 is right in the sweet spot for me. My only worry is the dark finish, but after a half dozen or so rounds they still look good.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TMelectric' timestamp='1365168326' post='6766657']

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. People who do not try this club because of the finish, name brand, or because it being a cast iron are really missing out on a great iron. Couple this with the CFS shaft and you would be hard pressed to find a softer feeling iron. PLUS, it is easy to hit.
[/quote]

+2. I play Adams A4 (Forged) w/ DGS 300s and just last night decided to try out some Ping G15s that the driving range I go to has for sale. The G15s were WAY softer feeling than my A4s, on both pured and off center hits. I can only imagine the newer G & I series feels just as good, if not better. Best part is everything I hit went straight, as opposed to the fade I usually hit (not by choice) in the A4s Seriously considering going in for a Ping fitting and ditching the Adams ASAP. I've never hit any Cleveland irons, but after 20-25 swings with the G15s I now understand what all these Ping guys are raving about.

TaylorMade Sim2 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Black Velacore 6x
TaylorMade Sim2 Ti 15* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7X
Mizuno Pro FliHi 3i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW DG X100

TaylorMade MG3 54, 58 
Bettinardi BB1 Limited Blackout 
#InsideTMag2013 

I played i20's in 2012 and ordered g25's for this year to get a little more forgiveness. You can't go wrong with either set.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='RedDevilWheezy' timestamp='1367266315' post='6939145']

[/quote]

[/quote]

+2. I play Adams A4 (Forged) w/ DGS 300s and just last night decided to try out some Ping G15s that the driving range I go to has for sale. The G15s were WAY softer feeling than my A4s, on both pured and off center hits. I can only imagine the newer G & I series feels just as good, if not better. Best part is everything I hit went straight, as opposed to the fade I usually hit (not by choice) in the A4s Seriously considering going in for a Ping fitting and ditching the Adams ASAP. I've never hit any Cleveland irons, but after 20-25 swings with the G15s I now understand what all these Ping guys are raving about.
[/quote]

As far as feel, yeah, take a few shots with those and a few of the Callways I've tried out and when you go back to your forged clubs they will actually feel a bit harsh. That said, the i20s offer nothing in the way of feedback. Unless I intentionally put it way off the toe or heel there was nothing to tell me I wasn't in the center of the face. I'm guessing it was the increased offset that was helping you hit it a little straighter with the G15s. Can't fault them if they're working for you.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1367291144' post='6941739']
[quote name='RedDevilWheezy' timestamp='1367266315' post='6939145']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As far as feel, yeah, take a few shots with those and a few of the Callways I've tried out and when you go back to your forged clubs they will actually feel a bit harsh. That said, the i20s offer nothing in the way of feedback. Unless I intentionally put it way off the toe or heel there was nothing to tell me I wasn't in the center of the face. I'm guessing it was the increased offset that was helping you hit it a little straighter with the G15s. Can't fault them if they're working for you.
[/quote]

I think it was a combination of the offset as well as the correct setup with the Ping's (Blue dot for me). My A4s seem just a bit long and I know I need to have my lies checked/adjusted. Whatever it was, I got bit by the Ping bug pretty bad. My birthday is coming up soon, hopefully I can parlay that into some new G series Irons lol.

TaylorMade Sim2 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Black Velacore 6x
TaylorMade Sim2 Ti 15* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7X
Mizuno Pro FliHi 3i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW DG X100

TaylorMade MG3 54, 58 
Bettinardi BB1 Limited Blackout 
#InsideTMag2013