Collegiate golf with a GED

jonnyh

Afternoon everyone. Hope we all played some golf today,

So question, a friend of mine who played on our high school team recently dropped out (not sure why) and is going to be getting his GED. He and I were recently talking and he told me he doesn't know if he can play collegiate golf with a GED. I figured for him i'de just ask you guys and see if anyone has any info on this. He was probably a 3-5 handicap last season and was a junior this year and prior to dropping out was right on track to getting scholarship offers from D-2 schools and the smaller D-1 schools by the end of his senior season (assuming he takes steps forward by June next year, I know I will). So again question is can he play college golf with a GED or does that make him ineligible?

He and I are great friends and were actually planning on attending the same college for golf so this is actually really important to me too. Hope someone has some familiarity with this, Thanks

-Jon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all he'd have to get into a school, and I'm assuming that would be a case by case decision depending on the school. Honestly dropping out of high school and getting a GED isn't a great idea if you want to go to college later on.

Then he'd have to be cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse in order to play, and I have no idea how that would work with a GED so he'd have to talk to them.

On top of the fact that as a 3-5 he probably wasn't going to get offered much anyway (if anything), so this thing looks like its going to create a lot of hurdles.

So even though I dont have concrete answers, staying in school definitely would be the way to go. This is the kind of decision that people REALLY wind up regretting later on.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366597165' post='6890661']
First of all he'd have to get into a school, and I'm assuming that would be a case by case decision depending on the school. Honestly dropping out of high school and getting a GED isn't a great idea if you want to go to college later on.

Then he'd have to be cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse in order to play, and I have no idea how that would work with a GED so he'd have to talk to them.

On top of the fact that as a 3-5 he probably wasn't going to get offered much anyway (if anything), so this thing looks like its going to create a lot of hurdles.

So even though I dont have concrete answers, staying in school definitely would be the way to go. This is the kind of decision that people REALLY wind up regretting later on.
[/quote] Good points thanks appreciate it

It's going to be really hard getting into a University with a GED without going to a community college after getting a GED.

Titleist TSi3 w/ Tour AD GP-6X
Taylormade M2HL 16.5* w/ Tour GP-7X
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 85X
Titleist 712 AP2's w/ X100's
Titleist Vokey SM6's 50/56/60
Odyssey DART Arm Lock 

The NCAA has core grade and test score requirements. They've already got enough of an issue with poorly educated athletes, so there's no way they'll open the floodgates to allow GEDs to walk right on to campus. Plus, coaches want committed players who can handle the stress. As a coach, I'd be hard pressed to take a HS dropout and expect him to take on the burden of golf and classes at the college level.

So no, he will not be able to just walk on to campus with you and start playing. If by some miracle he got accepted, like in the case of some geniuses who skip the HS degree and get accepted into college, he would have to sit out for a year and possibly still satisfy other requirements.

I'm guessing that's probably not the case..... so his most likely route would be going the non-qualifier route, going to junior college, getting a 2 year degree, then transferring to your school.

I would plead with him to go back to school. He has no clue what he's tossing away. Maybe get back in summer school and try to catch up, or move to an alternative HS if possible. If he thinks he's gonna parlay his 3-5 cap into something meaningful, that's quite the longshot.

Your buddy is significantly more likely to end up as a bar tender for the rest of his life than getting into college if he drops out and goes the GED route... School and college are not for everyone though and I would never urge someone to go to school if they don't want to work in a career that requires a college degree. I have a friend who graduated HS but passed up on college because he couldn't stand the thought of sitting behind a desk later in life (or being a dr. etc.). He went to tech school, acquired skills, and went on to be a mechanic. He loved his job and did photography on the side as hobby. That hobby picked up and now is a surfing photographer in Hawaii. He is one of the most satisfied people I know. At the time everyone thought he was crazy, but, it's who he is. School was not the best option FOR HIM.

I would just sit down with him and try to understand his reasoning. College is not the best option for everyone. But as a close friend I would want to make sure he has thought through 5 years, 10 years, etc. down to the road.

Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1366642057' post='6892821']
Your buddy is significantly more likely to end up as a bar tender for the rest of his life than getting into college if he drops out and goes the GED route... School and college are not for everyone though and I would never urge someone to go to school if they don't want to work in a career that requires a college degree. I have a friend who graduated HS but passed up on college because he couldn't stand the thought of sitting behind a desk later in life (or being a dr. etc.). He went to tech school, acquired skills, and went on to be a mechanic. He loved his job and did photography on the side as hobby. That hobby picked up and now is a surfing photographer in Hawaii. He is one of the most satisfied people I know. At the time everyone thought he was crazy, but, it's who he is. School was not the best option FOR HIM.

I would just sit down with him and try to understand his reasoning. College is not the best option for everyone. But as a close friend I would want to make sure he has thought through 5 years, 10 years, etc. down to the road.
[/quote] Great information thanks

If your friend can get his GED and then get into community college and take college level courses then he should be able to get into a school. Maybe he attends a CC w/ a golf team and possibly gets some offers a year later. I know of a few students that went from CC golf to D1 and D1/2 golf. High school sucks, in my opinion, and if your friend has the intellect to pass courses easily to the point of boredom then I see nothing wrong with leaving HS to move on to college.

Driver: For now. Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5 w/GD AD-TP6X   3wd: Titleist TS2 15 w/ Atmos Black 8s Tour Spec Tour Stiff Hybrid: Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100 w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange HSx1  Wedges: Miura Tour 55, 59 w/ Nippon 125 Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1