Are "PRACTICE" golf balls just as good to use as gamers?

Hit em good

Are there defects, or some other functional problem with using PRACTICE balls as gamers?

Or, were there just cosmetic defects which relegated them to the practice group?

Was thinking of buying some practice balls, but don't want to if they have defects.

Anyone know about this?

Thx.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1366736174' post='6900837']
In my own experience, practice balls are similar to range balls. They travel less distance. It's hard to get the distance right if you play practice/range balls.
[/quote]

which practice balls have you tried?
ive tried the practice balls in prov1/x, penta, hex black tour, and was never able to find any difference between the regular balls.
just small cosmetic flaws most likely...

Could be anything.

Some are cos defects, some are distance limited, some are identical to the non-range counter parts.

I play a few courses that use ProVs on the range and they are marked as such simply cause the range borders two playing holes. Otherwise they are bone stock balls.

Only way to know is to ask.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

By 'practice' do you mean name brand balls with practice marked o nthem? If yes, OP is correct. About 90% chance they were rejected because of some paint blemish. Otherwise no difference. Practice balls at the range are designed not to go as far due to most ranges having limited space. At one range near the beach where we go in summer I would defy anyone to hit a 'range' ball 200 yds. The fence is right at 200. Never seen one go over in 20 years! Sign says, " Range is for warm up only. Please do not hit other balls."

[quote name='richard t' timestamp='1366738858' post='6901159']
By 'practice' do you mean name brand balls with practice marked o nthem? If yes, OP is correct. About 90% chance they were rejected because of some paint blemish. Otherwise no difference. Practice balls at the range are designed not to go as far due to most ranges having limited space. At one range near the beach where we go in summer I would defy anyone to hit a 'range' ball 200 yds. The fence is right at 200. Never seen one go over in 20 years! Sign says, " Range is for warm up only. Please do not hit other balls."
[/quote]

I mean name brand, like Pro V1, balls that say "PRACTICE" on them. Not talking about range balls.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1366736522' post='6900879']
Exact same except cosmetic blemishes. They are actually legal for tourney play now too...
[/quote]

This. I called Titleist and they said that they are no different than logo balls. The only thing I have noticed on the ProV 1X is the alignment "arrow" is sometimes a bit crooked.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='Marengo' timestamp='1366746084' post='6902061']
Does anyone know if X-outs are the same as the practice balls?
[/quote]

No, they are not. Not legal for USGA play. I believe they have defects other than cosmetic.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

Yes, some jabroni tried to call me out on it for using the Penta practice balls in a qualifier round and they are 100% legal

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I just found this on Titleist's website:

What is the difference between Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-out golf balls?

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the differences between Titleist Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-Out golf balls.
The Acushnet Company invests significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products.
As such, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:
1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.
2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.
Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1366748038' post='6902315']
we have practice prov1s at my course.....If I am going thru a swing change I'll use them
[/quote]

You mean like shortening up your swing so that you only carry your driver 330?

You beast! :D

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

The driving range I frequent uses Titleist practice balls. I don't believe they are the Prov1 version. It just says Titleist with Practice on it. I never hit my PW past 100 yards. On the course, I carried 115 bunker with the same PW.

I played a round and felt I was hitting everything short. At the end, I realized I played a Taylormade practice ball.

[quote name='tjumper78' timestamp='1366736676' post='6900897']
[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1366736174' post='6900837']
In my own experience, practice balls are similar to range balls. They travel less distance. It's hard to get the distance right if you play practice/range balls.
[/quote]

which practice balls have you tried?
ive tried the practice balls in prov1/x, penta, hex black tour, and was never able to find any difference between the regular balls.
just small cosmetic flaws most likely...
[/quote]

[b] [url="http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=16"]http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=16[/url][/b]

[b] [size=5]Status of "X-Out" and "Practice" Balls[/size][/b]
[color=#000000][size=3]
[b]Q. [/b]May I use an "x-out" ball or a ball stamped with "Practice" to play a round of golf?[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]
[b]A. [/b]Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with “PRACTICE” or a circled “P”, are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).[/size][/color]

[quote name='PGood' timestamp='1366747178' post='6902211']
I just found this on Titleist's website:

What is the difference between Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-out golf balls?

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the differences between Titleist Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-Out golf balls.
The Acushnet Company invests significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products.
As such, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:
1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.
2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.
Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls
[/quote]

I recently had checked to find out about the condition of PRACTICE balls, and was surprised to find out that their X-OUTS are also legal to play. So it's important to check with each manufacturer, as these conditions can vary from one to the other.

• 10 years later...

As a wise man told me when I asked about Practice Balls and X-Outs vs retail, "if you could tell the difference, you'd be getting them for free."

• Haha 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, TaylorDiehl said:

Practice balls are for Allen Iverson and limp boyz

Nice first post.  Welcome to Golf WRX.

• Haha 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2013 at 6:00 AM, mikes919 said:

Regular balls marked "practice" just have cosmetic defects, they are otherwise no different from the standard full price ones. There are a million threads about this if you want more info. I play the Penta practice balls and can't tell any difference from the regular ones, but my wallet can!

This is correct, practice balls are the same as regular balls with imperfections of the cover (apparently mostly misprints)

Taylormade Sim Max - Dr, 3W, 3H
Nike Forged Blades - 3-PW

Titleist Vokey SM9 - 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - P