G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I hit mine Sat at the range when I picked them up. Was really concerned after hitting them with the ust recoil stiff f4 shaft.

Well got out on the course today for 9 holes and man were they good. I havent played or practiced for 3 months. These were just nice and straight every time. These wont be going anywhere.

I was off with the hybrid and 3 wood a bit. Lot of the hybrid shots seem to low. Still waiting on my driver. think it has been 5 weeks since I ordered it

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

[quote name='boycer11' timestamp='1366931461' post='6918331']
I hit mine Sat at the range when I picked them up. Was really concerned after hitting them with the ust recoil stiff f4 shaft.

Well got out on the course today for 9 holes and man were they good. I havent played or practiced for 3 months. These were just nice and straight every time. These wont be going anywhere.

I was off with the hybrid and 3 wood a bit. Lot of the hybrid shots seem to low. Still waiting on my driver. think it has been 5 weeks since I ordered it
[/quote]

For some reason anything above a 5 iron I hit everything Ping low. I have a Ping G20 driver and I cannot get that thing in the air very high. I normally play a 9.5* but I went to 10.5 for this driver and I still hit it low. I switched from the i15 irons because everything is so low. I'm playing Callaway Razr X irons and hybrids and they do a great job of getting airborne for me. I am considering Ping G series irons but concerned about height. I love the driver because it is very straight but wish I could get more height so my carry would be a little greater. Stock stiff shaft in the driver FWIW. I love all the great feedback about the G25 irons, really has me tempted but I need to recoup some cash. I've been a huge ho this year so far and I only have 2 rounds in. Haha.

[quote name='flybub' timestamp='1366931866' post='6918359']

[/quote]

For some reason anything above a 5 iron I hit everything Ping low. I have a Ping G20 driver and I cannot get that thing in the air very high. I normally play a 9.5* but I went to 10.5 for this driver and I still hit it low. I switched from the i15 irons because everything is so low. I'm playing Callaway Razr X irons and hybrids and they do a great job of getting airborne for me. I am considering Ping G series irons but concerned about height. I love the driver because it is very straight but wish I could get more height so my carry would be a little greater. Stock stiff shaft in the driver FWIW. I love all the great feedback about the G25 irons, really has me tempted but I need to recoup some cash. I've been a huge ho this year so far and I only have 2 rounds in. Haha.
[/quote]
Get yourself a G25 driver and the launch will increase in the same loft as the G20...

IO,
Is the drivers stock stiff shaft about true to flex in your opinion? I currently use a Speeder TS 6.2 stiff in my R1 and it is a little boardy for my liking. Wondering if I should go stiff or tour stiff in the G25 driver.
Sorry to get off topic, but you have some great PING knowledge

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1366933967' post='6918535']
IO,
Is the drivers stock stiff shaft about true to flex in your opinion? I currently use a Speeder TS 6.2 stiff in my R1 and it is a little boardy for my liking. Wondering if I should go stiff or tour stiff in the G25 driver.
[/quote]
Honestly, the Ping proprietary shafts are all great IMO. The only one I didn't like was the stock shaft in the Anser. The G25 stiff and tour stiff would both play softer than your speeder. If you are looking to step down and had good results from the Speeder I would probably gravitate toward the tour, but I have a friend that swings 105 and loads the shaft hard and he loves the stock stiff in the G25...

I O

Has anyone gotten the backend custom grind on the G25 irons that you know of. I was thinking it might help the trailing edge on the long irons dissappear, what are your thoughts?

If I could have those soles just a little thinner in the 5 -3 it would be a clincher.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1366936095' post='6918703']
I O

Has anyone gotten the backend custom grind on the G25 irons that you know of. I was thinking it might help the trailing edge on the long irons dissappear, what are your thoughts?

If I could have those soles just a little thinner in the 5 -3 it would be a clincher.
[/quote]
Never seen any custom grinds on any of the G series in person. That would be pretty awesome though. Love to see some pics if you go that route.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366935643' post='6918657']
[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1366933967' post='6918535']
IO,
[/quote]
Honestly, the Ping proprietary shafts are all great IMO. The only one I didn't like was the stock shaft in the Anser. The G25 stiff and tour stiff would both play softer than your speeder. If you are looking to step down and had good results from the Speeder I would probably gravitate toward the tour, but I have a friend that swings 105 and loads the shaft hard and he loves the stock stiff in the G25...
[/quote]
I knew you'd have the answer! Thanks. I also swing at 105, but I don't load very well right now. I guess the stiff will work out. I hope to hit it this weekend at the PGA store. Thanks you review and your help.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='sncgolf03' timestamp='1366937633' post='6918849']
How do these play in the wind? Any issues with the height? I had i20s briefly with Pro Modus Tour120 x shafts and felt they went too high and kind of ballooned.
[/quote]
Im not a naturally high ball hitter so for me they are high but never ballooning. I love the ball flight... I could see for a select few the ball flight being hard to get under control, but that's literally the only time I could see this set not working for someone.

I'm curious on anyone's thoughts on how these would play for a sweeper/picker. I tend to rarely leave a divot or a tiny one if I do and not sure how these would fair with the large soles.

I currently play cb3's which I do hit pretty well but wouldn't mind the added forgiveness from the g25's. I'm realizing its time to make this game easier for myself.

I appreciate any input

[quote name='aypeeone' timestamp='1366939534' post='6919065']
I'm curious on anyone's thoughts on how these would play for a sweeper/picker. I tend to rarely leave a divot or a tiny one if I do and not sure how these would fair with the large soles.

I currently play cb3's which I do hit pretty well but wouldn't mind the added forgiveness from the g25's. I'm realizing its time to make this game easier for myself.

I appreciate any input
[/quote]
I think they are very good for pickers. The center of gravity works great for thin shots, which is the most common miss for most pickers. The ball still gets up high and travels close to expected distance.

How do these play in the wind? Any issues with the height? I had i20s briefly with Pro Modus Tour120 x shafts and felt they went too high and kind of ballooned.
[/quote]

i20 irons ballooning (if you define ballooning as "rising") is a function of your shaft. That is a low spin head. Revisit?

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1366940880' post='6919195']
[/quote]

i20 irons ballooning (if you define ballooning as "rising") is a function of your shaft. That is a low spin head. Revisit?
[/quote]

yeah i mainly saw it in the long irons, esp into the wind. Most likely was a shaft issue, it wasn't major balloonage (made that word up), but was enough to see quite a bit of distance loss and hard to control.

Instant offense,

Your the kind of guy that could shoot a 66 with a hoe, a bat, and a pool cue. I had the 25's in hand the other day and they look really nice. Huge improvement over recent G series. Unfortunately I have enough iron sets and just received a set of 588 TT irons I ordered from Cleveland in my specs. These things are ridiculous. I canned the stock shafts and went standard length DG S300 SL. Wow is all I can say. These are accurate as heck , low offset and look great and definitely will help anyone who is distance challenged to boot. These clubs are getting no press though. Please do a review if you have access. Sorry to jack your thread and to be fair I have been a Ping user and fan for years and enjoyed your great review.

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

[quote name='golfnuthb' timestamp='1366946942' post='6919827']
Instant offense,

Your the kind of guy that could shoot a 66 with a hoe, a bat, and a pool cue. I had the 25's in hand the other day and they look really nice. Huge improvement over recent G series. Unfortunately I have enough iron sets and just received a set of 588 TT irons I ordered from Cleveland in my specs. These things are ridiculous. I canned the stock shafts and went standard length DG S300 SL. Wow is all I can say. These are accurate as heck , low offset and look great and definitely will help anyone who is distance challenged to boot. These clubs are getting no press though. Please do a review if you have access. Sorry to jack your thread and to be fair I have been a Ping user and fan for years and enjoyed your great review.
[/quote]
I have a set of these in my shop and they look great to my eye. Haven't hit them yet other than a couple demos off a mat and into a net. They really do look like a players GI club. Low offset and a nice large head with some pretty wide soles. I'm glad you brought that iron up. I'll try to take the demos on course and see what they do.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366947419' post='6919853']
Instant offense,

[/quote]
I have a set of these in my shop and they look great to my eye. Haven't hit them yet other than a couple demos off a mat and into a net. They really do look like a players GI club. Low offset and a nice large head with some pretty wide soles. I'm glad you brought that iron up. I'll try to take the demos on course and see what they do.
[/quote] Hey thanks man! People tend to take reviews seriously when done by players such as yourself, and apparently Cleveland could use some help with their marketing campaign. looking forward to your review!

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

Instant offense,

[/quote]

Funny that you mention these in a a G25 thread.
I was at demo day today, and I really struggled with my swing. I usually hit my irons in the center and straight, but being a flipper, I struggle with two things:
1) launching irons too high and losing distance because of that and
2) low point control, thin and fat shots.
And it was especially terrible today.
Given that, I thought it was the ideal opportunity to see how much forgiving irons could help me a on a day, when I really, really struggle.
G25s were the winners, closely followed by Cleveland MT 588/TT588 and Wilson Staff Ci11.
I am one of those snobs who could never get over the look of G-series irons at address, although I also play Callaway X-22s without a problem, but something like the G20s was yet in another category amd simply too much for me, and I really could not hit them well because of that. The G25s look so much better. I think it is due to the dark finish, because the offset is not that much less and the top line is not that much thinner than those of previous models.
But what Ping have really done with these irons is that they do not only help with horizontal misses on the face, but with vertical ones as well. As I have said, I do not need forgiveness on toe hits, because I rarely have them. But I need forgiveness when missing low or high. I have tried many GI and SGI irons and none helped me with my high/low on the face misses, so I thought, why bother. But the G25s seem to do that, and I was really blown away by their performance. The turf interaction is absolutely perfect. The range was very dry, the bounce and sole width did not cause any troubles. I even tried them from bare, hard earth in the divot holes, and they worked perfectly out of those as well. They masked sligthly fat hits very well, still moving through the ball without much loss of speed. And they are so good on thin hits, it is unbelieveable.
If anybody asks me, anchored putting is not like cheating, but these irons are.
Details: I hit them with both CFS regular and stiff, as I always seem to be between S and R with most steel shafts. Trajectory and length were not much different for me, but my results with the stiff were a little bit better, probably because of the weight. Midweight steel shafts (about 105 to 115 gr) always work better for me than very light ones.
Strange: There was a strong wind blowing on the range, left to right and against. While I did get some ballooning with the I20s with CFS R, which I also tried (for the third time), I did not get any with the G25. The ball flight was actually more piercing with them, yet still high.
That being said, I also really liked the Cleveland 588 MT and TT irons. They must be the most overlooked models of the season. There is no thread about them here, but they are truly excellent. They look good, feel good, are hugely forgiving and you can build your own combo set with them.
I am a bit fed-up now, because I now have two more iron models I have to decide on.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[/quote]
Boycer, i am considering ordering the G25s with recoils from Ping. Did you get the 110 recoils stiff directly from Ping? They offer these or the 95 recoils regular. What is your driver and 6 iron swingspeed?

• Like 1

avrag

Excellent write up and review. You actually hit on two important issues for me, high on the face and shaft flex as I am a tweener as well. I hit down and take a divot so my miss is not thin but it can be high on the face. I was under the impression that large tall faced irons with maximum cavity performed poorly when hit high on the face, ie. big time distance lose.

Is their anybody else that has this miss and plays these irons who can comment on it.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1367181935' post='6933063']

[/quote]
Boycer, i am considering ordering the G25s with recoils from Ping. Did you get the 110 recoils stiff directly from Ping? They offer these or the 95 recoils regular. What is your driver and 6 iron swingspeed?
[/quote]

Sorry just saw this. I ordered them dircetly from ping. I got the stiff 110. Hit them today and they were awesome. Only one bad iron shot with a 4 iron. They shafts and head work great together. Like most have said, point, shoot, hight straight shots. I dont need to look for irons anymore. I will probably do a g25 review later today.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Well good luck on the qualifier......you can't make it with that attitude lol....but the last I checked the course and holes don't know who are playing them and they sure don't care what clubs you are using. Appreciate all the reviews and info you are giving out and at this rate I think you need to change your handle to....Instant Sensation .

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

[quote name='Mr.I302' timestamp='1367282639' post='6940661']
Well good luck on the qualifier......you can't make it with that attitude lol....but the last I checked the course and holes don't know who are playing them and they sure don't care what clubs you are using. Appreciate all the reviews and info you are giving out and at this rate I think you need to change your handle to....Instant Sensation .
[/quote]
I'll do everything I can to get through, but realistically I just want to have a good showing. I would be happy with anything under par. I think it will take 66 or 67 to get through and there are so many mini tour guys out there that its unrealistic to think I should get through playing an average of twice a week and practicing maybe one day more than that. I can hold my own and enjoy myself and it will make me happy to do just that.

After reading this review I am curious if the G25s will improve my scores. I had some GolfSmith credits so I purchased a set of Ping G25 4-U KBS stiffs. I compared the 7 irons on a launch monitor, hitting both well, identical distance but tighter dispersion with the i20s. I still ordered the G25 thinking it will help in the longer irons. Then I had one of my best ball striking rounds yesterday with the i20s. I am having second thought. Still waiting for shipment on my new irons but don't know if I will play them.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

[quote name='DrInhale' timestamp='1367285408' post='6941013']
After reading this review I am curious if the G25s will improve my scores. I had some GolfSmith credits so I purchased a set of Ping G25 4-U KBS stiffs. I compared the 7 irons on a launch monitor, hitting both well, identical distance but tighter dispersion with the i20s. I still ordered the G25 thinking it will help in the longer irons. Then I had one of my best ball striking rounds yesterday with the i20s. I am having second thought. Still waiting for shipment on my new irons but don't know if I will play them.
[/quote]

Just curious to know if you have the same shafts in your i20 as the KBS you ordered in your G25?

I know all about those great ball striking rounds. That happened to me the first time I took out my MP 32s last spring. So naturally I had to play them most of last year, had mixed results. Hopefully the G25 works for you if not the i20 are a nice set to have on stand by.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport