G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

Have to say these G25's are holding up really well. Just played 170th round with
them today and the face and sole look good. Sandy conditions here and I would have
thought there would be more damage to the soles but other than a few minor scratches
they are fine. A slight discoloration on the face in the hitting area but no indication of
grove wear in those areas.
I have never hit a lot of different iron shafts but would be surprised if I could find anything
better than these CFS shafts.
I came to the G25's from TM300 and wasn't sure about the thicker top line. Well
once I set the club behind the ball I really don't see the top of the club since I'm looking at the ball.
This is my 4th set of clubs in 35 years and really don't see how any company could build a
better club.

Talent is the desire to practice

Just jumping in to share my G25 5-iron 177 yard hole-out for eagle today. My best ever and the first one I was able to actually see happening. I had 2 before on elevated greens and it wasn't the same.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='Chris5573' timestamp='1412957300' post='10265883']
[quote name='jeffrey r' timestamp='1412949454' post='10265105']
[quote name='Chris5573' timestamp='1412889201' post='10262285']
How long did it take to adjust to these irons? I want to give them more of a chance, but in all honesty I seem to hit the i20's much better so I don't know that it's really worth going through an adjustment period. The g25's and my i20's are both black dot and have CFS stiff shafts. My handicap is 5.5.
[/quote]

A couple of thoughts. I don't think one round is enough time to truly judge an iron. I think several rounds are a minimum to get used to the overall feel, swing, turf interaction, etc. Also, in all honesty, I would think that as a 5.5 HC you should be able to throw darts with the G25's. That said, it's your game, your swing, your comfort level, your money, etc.

But to give the G25's a true fair shake, I'd give them a few rounds at least. Then, if you're just not feeling it with the G25's, cut bait and go back to your i20's. The i20's are great irons.
[/quote]

I agree about giving it a few more rounds before throwing in the towel. I want them to work, I feel like they should save me some strokes compared to the i20's. I think the i20's are actually pretty forgiving too, the 5 iron is almost as big as a G iron. I don't mind the look of the g25's at all, I'm not the type to think they are too fat, too offset or whatever else. For me it's really just the contact, which is weird. I feel like I flush the i20's more often even on the range alternating shots. I'll give them some more time and post my results. I am in no way trying to bash these irons, I want them to work and I feel like it makes sense to play them.
[/quote]
I have both the g25's and the i20's both in the right specs and both with cfs stiff.
I just wanted to add what I have discovered that sort of backs up your experience.
The 25's are the softer, or more consistently good feeling iron when hit across all, or most of the face.
The i20's are really different. When they are flushed out of the middle they are super solid and feel amazing, as is the ballflight and performance. However if they are miss hit, not necessarily by a lot, they feel rather harsh and average (when compared to a flush shot.)
So for me in terms of feel they definitely play with less forgiveness that the g25's but when you flush one with both clubs the i20's are absolutely better feeling or more responsive than the 25's.

One thing I find amazing is that after 2 rounds, you completely forget about the offset in the mid-irons.

Coming from S56 I thought it would be long before I got comfortable but it took me only 2 or 3 rounds.

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

[quote name='Capitaine Haddock' timestamp='1413389585' post='10292601']
One thing I find amazing is that after 2 rounds, you completely forget about the offset in the mid-irons.

Coming from S56 I thought it would be long before I got comfortable but it took me only 2 or 3 rounds.
[/quote]

I agree with this, always sought out low offset clubs before going in for these. Always hated the look of offset but decided to try the SGI route. It took me a longer than 2 to 3 rounds to adjust, but eventually it became a non-issue. The set SW and LW could maybe have less offset, but there are plenty of non-set wedge options around so that's not really an issue.

Oh man, can't wait for this weekend, got a Ping Demo day close by.
Been playing for G15's for the last 3 or 4 years and decided it is time to upgrade.

My heart have been on the G30s for a couple of weeks now, but reading this thread and speaking to a couple of people, I guess I will have to test the G25's, G30's and I25's.

G30s and I25s cost the same around £530, but the G25's are a good £150 cheaper for 7 clubs.

[quote name='Pal1ng' timestamp='1413412553' post='10295193']
Oh man, can't wait for this weekend, got a Ping Demo day close by.
Been playing for G15's for the last 3 or 4 years and decided it is time to upgrade.

My heart have been on the G30s for a couple of weeks now, but reading this thread and speaking to a couple of people, I guess I will have to test the G25's, G30's and I25's.

G30s and I25s cost the same around £530, but the G25's are a good £150 cheaper for 7 clubs.
[/quote]So what happened? What did you think about the 25's?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

I really liked both the G30 and I25, but they are not 'that much' nicer than the G15 set I currently use to justify £530. (Did not test the G25's as I was running out of time and other people were queuing up.)
Unfortunately the fitting van only had 7 irons, I will have to poke around and see if I can get my hands on a full set to see how the longer irons play to really make my mind up.

I did buy a G30 5 wood to supplement the gap between my driver and 3i.

I guess I will continue using the G15s till the itch gets unbearable and then upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased some prime G25s off the bay. Going to reshaft to KBS tours as the CFSs go too high... and perhaps send back to ping for bending.

Only one round on them so far, but a few range sessions indicate some serious forgiveness and straight flight. I found them fairly difficult to curve a significant amount vs. my other sets which is actually confidence-inspiring. Can't wait to put them into play!

[attachment=2480629:IMG_20141021_213122.jpg]

More pics here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1094647-g-men-unite/page__st__30

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

Had these irons over a year now, had a spell in the summer where I played AP2s which are great irons, very forgiving and suprisingly long but as the season ended and the ground gets super soft here in the UK I gave the G25s another try as the wider sole in soft conditions gives me more confidence. wow why did I ever kick them out of the bag, just been having so much fun with them.

One of the things I kept doing on bad swing days with the AP2s was over work the ball, getting too much unwanted side spin, the G25s are super easy to hit straight and they just need a smooth easy swing to go off into orbit like a rocket. I have KBS stiff in mine and they have a lovely feel to them.

Now thinking of getting the pitching wedge as I only ever got 3-9 iron.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1iI9yJewQ&list=UUBMx__Jflm6xQwP6LdhHS7A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1iI9yJewQ&list=UUBMx__Jflm6xQwP6LdhHS7A[/url]

Here is a great plug for G25/30s!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

rafal, do you also have the SW and LW. Looks like you do in your sig.?! How do you like them on tight lies? Can you open'm up for flops?

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1415658308' post='10425769']
rafal, do you also have the SW and LW. Looks like you do in your sig.?! How do you like them on tight lies? Can you open'm up for flops?
[/quote]

Yes, they are the best. Never gonna play other wedges and I am the get up and down from anywhere type of guy. Played and practiced them (G15/20 before) for 4 years now and played Eye 2+ wedges before. It's what I am used to, it's what saves me on 6/18 GIR days.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1415659670' post='10425899']
[/quote]

Yes, they are the best. Never gonna play other wedges and I am the get up and down from anywhere type of guy. Played and practiced them (G15/20 before) for 4 years now and played Eye 2+ wedges before. It's what I am used to, it's what saves me on 6/18 GIR days.
[/quote]Cool, I'll have to check'm out.

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1415659670' post='10425899']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I played the SW and LW with my G15 set and also had no issues.

Instant Offense, or anybody else for that matter, I'd be interested in knowing your comparison between the G25's and the G30's? Are the G30's that much better than the 25's to warrant spending the money?

Ping G20 10.5*
BombTech 3w 15*
Mizuno MP-H5 2 iron
Ping G30 4-UW
Ping Glide 54*SS 60*WS
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

[quote name='MikeH21' timestamp='1415717518' post='10428983']
Instant Offense, or anybody else for that matter, I'd be interested in knowing your comparison between the G25's and the G30's? Are the G30's that much better than the 25's to warrant spending the money?
[/quote]

I've only demo'ed the G30s versus actually playing the G25s for more than a season so take this with that caveat. In short, I much preferred the G25s as they look sleeker at address and feel better on contact for me. I did not like the longer shafts in the G30s and saw no difference in forgiveness between the two.

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1415739057' post='10430749']
Personally, I would go with the G25s. Shorter blade and weaker lofts.
[/quote]

And they're cheaper. But the G30s look alot better in the bag lol.

Actually the 30s have less offset and are a touch thinner. But the blade length is a smidge bigger too.

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1414823631' post='10381897']
Just purchased some prime G25s off the bay. Going to reshaft to KBS tours as the CFSs go too high... and perhaps send back to ping for bending.

Only one round on them so far, but a few range sessions indicate some serious forgiveness and straight flight. I found them fairly difficult to curve a significant amount vs. my other sets which is actually confidence-inspiring. Can't wait to put them into play!

[attachment=2480629:IMG_20141021_213122.jpg]

More pics here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1094647-g-men-unite/page__st__30"]http://www.golfwrx.c...te/page__st__30[/url]
[/quote]

Thats exactly how I feel with the G25. I actually have C Tapers in them and get a pretty flat straight flight. Wouldn't trade them for anything still...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 1 month later...

I've seen several people in this thread that have commented that they believe the G15's could be more forgiving than the G25's, and don't dig as much.

My natural miss is fat and to the right.

I'm wondering if I should be considering G15's or G25's.

My HC is pretty high if that makes a difference.

[quote name='EmptyWallet' timestamp='1419445859' post='10637975']
I've seen several people in this thread that have commented that they believe the G15's could be more forgiving than the G25's, and don't dig as much.

My natural miss is fat and to the right.

I'm wondering if I should be considering G15's or G25's.

My HC is pretty high if that makes a difference.
[/quote]

Honestly, I don't think either are prone to digging but I'd get the 25's. They have a more rounded leading edge. G30 is better still in this regard, plus more bounce, so they would be the best choice of all if you have the money

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Anyone play DG S300's in their G25's? I'm just not happy with the CFS stiff and played S300's for over 20 years with good success. Just wondering. Thanks.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Been a while since my G25s were updated with the F4 Recoil 95 Prototypes, done by dmael over here. Best sticks I have ever hit & owned. 3 iron is as easy to hit as a 7 and no more back and arm pains that I would ALEVE out after a practice session. Super smooth and accurate. Only thing is to remember to open/ close more to cut or draw these irons...they wanna go straight but they can be bent around trees et Al.

I would never go back to steel, those were the dark days IMHO, even the KBS tours.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing