G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I bought the G20 in late 2013 in a similar sales action and came out with 450€ spent for a fitted set of 5-SW. Normal price was around 750€.
Went to play different clubs during the last months just to participate in that golf fashion show... and indeed i have a pricy KZG iron set in my second bag but nothing is quite as fun and a boost in confidence like these irons.
I might even play with the KZG on a regular basis but i know exactly when it is winter and when i have not been playing a while i will pull out my Ping set and be able to enjoy a nice round of Golf.

Par 3 are the most fun with them for me, because teeing off with those irons nothing much can go wrong . They are long, they are trusty and they are chunky.

Plus, the sound is really nice. They have this distinctive mechanical click that i really like in Golf.
They have grown on me and as long as they don't wear or Ping doesn't release anything that is even more fun to play i will stick with them.

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1434359346' post='11753190']
Any new G25 users out there since they went on sale? Would like to hear how they're working out.
[/quote]

There is 59 pages of G love in this thread. The fact that they are discounted now is just a bonus. I've been playing with G30's lately but can't say they are an upgrade over the 25's. I'd say order them fast before Ping sells out.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1434371088' post='11753566']
Any new G25 users out there since they went on sale? Would like to hear how they're working out.
[/quote]

There is 59 pages of G love in this thread. The fact that they are discounted now is just a bonus. I've been playing with G30's lately but can't say they are an upgrade over the 25's. I'd say order them fast before Ping sells out.
[/quote]You are the resident Ping expert, as far as I can tell, on this site. I read all the Ping stuff and you are always writing in with great info. I was going to PM you and ask what your thoughts were on a 25 vs. 30. I'm thinking about saving the $200 and going 25s sooner than later.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[/quote]

I'm on my second go-around with the G25's after a brief hiatus last fall. Contemplated purchasing a new set even before the recent price drop, but was able to find a nice used set in my specs. I've had every G-iron in the bag at some point from the 5's up to the 25's and I feel like the 25's are a nice meld of all past offerings. I did demo the 30 side by side with the 25's and if it was me, I'd save the $200 and get the 25's. Couldn't see any difference between the two. Use that $200 to ho another putter, haha. Famous last words, but I can see these 25's being in my bag for a few years. Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1434378102' post='11754254']
[/quote]

I'm on my second go-around with the G25's after a brief hiatus last fall. Contemplated purchasing a new set even before the recent price drop, but was able to find a nice used set in my specs. I've had every G-iron in the bag at some point from the 5's up to the 25's and I feel like the 25's are a nice meld of all past offerings. I did demo the 30 side by side with the 25's and if it was me, I'd save the $200 and get the 25's. Couldn't see any difference between the two. Use that $200 to ho another putter, haha. Famous last words, but I can see these 25's being in my bag for a few years. Good luck.
[/quote]Thanks

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

kchuckb, I am playing G30's, and they really are quite similar to the G25's. I played the G25's for a spell last season, and previous to that, played the G15's regularly. I can say that the G30's are terrific irons. To be honest, they do play better for me than the G25's, primarily with turf interaction. Probably not enough to influence your decision of which one to go with, but that's what I have found. The G30's take everything that the G25's were, and are just incrementally better for me. So I am pleased with the switch.

To be honest, I hit the G15's a few weeks ago for the heck of it, and I really had a hard time going back to them having played the G30's now. The G15's and the similar G's (10's and 20's) are much bigger irons. I was never one that needed to play a thinner iron, but now that I get the same or better forgiveness and performance from the G30's that I got from the G15's, in a much more attractive package, it's hard for me to play something as chunky as the G15's.

Bottom line, can't go wrong with the G25's or G30's.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

[quote name='jeffrey r' timestamp='1434395588' post='11756336']
kchuckb, I am playing G30's, and they really are quite similar to the G25's. I played the G25's for a spell last season, and previous to that, played the G15's regularly. I can say that the G30's are terrific irons. To be honest, they do play better for me than the G25's, primarily with turf interaction. Probably not enough to influence your decision of which one to go with, but that's what I have found. The G30's take everything that the G25's were, and are just incrementally better for me. So I am pleased with the switch.

To be honest, I hit the G15's a few weeks ago for the heck of it, and I really had a hard time going back to them having played the G30's now. The G15's and the similar G's (10's and 20's) are much bigger irons. I was never one that needed to play a thinner iron, but now that I get the same or better forgiveness and performance from the G30's that I got from the G15's, in a much more attractive package, it's hard for me to play something as chunky as the G15's.

Bottom line, can't go wrong with the G25's or G30's.
[/quote]Thanks for the feedback.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[/quote]

How did you deal with the extra 1/2 inch length of the G30s ?

I broke down and bought a used set of G30s, 4-UW and swapped out the stock CFS shafts for the set of DGS300s I took out of my G20s only to find out that the G20 4 iron, which was a new DG shaft (didn't have a R20 4 iron) was significantly longer than the 5 iron. The clubmaker had checked the lengths and assured me the 4 iron was the standard length.

When we checked the Ping site he discovered, much to his surprise, the G30s were a 1/2 inch longer than the 20s and the 25s.

So I now have a set of Ping G30s that are 1/2 short of G30 standard but the same as G20/25 standard. Haven't had a chance to try 'em yet though.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1434508576' post='11766358']
[/quote]

I broke down and bought a used set of G30s, 4-UW and swapped out the stock CFS shafts for the set of DGS300s I took out of my G20s only to find out that the G20 4 iron, which was a new DG shaft (didn't have a R20 4 iron) was significantly longer than the 5 iron. The clubmaker had checked the lengths and assured me the 4 iron was the standard length.

When we checked the Ping site he discovered, much to his surprise, the G30s were a 1/2 inch longer than the 20s and the 25s.

So I now have a set of Ping G30s that are 1/2 short of G30 standard but the same as G20/25 standard. Haven't had a chance to try 'em yet though.
[/quote]

The G30's have progressive steps between clubs. Yes, the long irons are about 1/2" longer, but the short irons are less so or the same length.

When reshafting my clubs I built them off a 38" 5-iron with conventional stepping between clubs. I also bent some of the long irons 1 degree weak. Love um.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1434510850' post='11766596']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1434508576' post='11766358']
[/quote]

I broke down and bought a used set of G30s, 4-UW and swapped out the stock CFS shafts for the set of DGS300s I took out of my G20s only to find out that the G20 4 iron, which was a new DG shaft (didn't have a G20 4 iron) was significantly longer than the 5 iron. The clubmaker had checked the lengths and assured me the 4 iron was the standard length.

[/quote]

The G30's have progressive steps between clubs. Yes, the long irons are about 1/2" longer, but the short irons are less so or the same length.

When reshafting my clubs I built them off a 38" 5-iron with conventional stepping between clubs. I also bent some of the long irons 1 degree weak. Love um.
[/quote]

Yeah, I see that now. I hadn't checked the site - the clubfitter did.

I see the longer ones are 1/2 difference, then some of the shorter ones are 1/4 different and then the wedges are the same.

That explains the very noticeable difference in the 4 iron he measured to cut the new shaft and the 5 iron re-shafted with the old shaft. Also accounts for why the 5 and 6 with CFS felt long and the re-shafted ones felt right.

Thanks

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

• 4 weeks later...

I made my move to the 25's and I really like the feel. I gamed the 15's for 3 years which were very, very solid clubs and had tons of life left on them. I sold them on the BST and the buyer said the condition was even better than expected. The G 25's remind me more of the i15's I gamed for about a year before going to G 15, like i15 but with a larger sweet spot and improved shaft.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the old eye2's out for 9 the other night and it was so easy working my way around the course which was a lot of fun. Got me thinking that I'm an idiot for thinking I need thin player CB when all I really want is to score low and have fun. This all lead me to this thread and after reading every stinking page I think I'm going to pick up some 25's. Now I just have to get rid of my cg16p's, i506's and various wedges and drivers to work up the scratch.

BTW, anybody have any experience with these heads in Ns pro 1050 stiff or DG Pro s300? I'm leaning towards the DG. I'm smooth swing 160yd 7 iron guy.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to find a nice set of g25's with DG pro's already installed to my spec and static color fitting on the bst and managed a smooth transaction with a solid wrx'r. I took them to the range today and then 9 before I play a tourney tomorrow and the father in law on Sunday.

I didn't plan to put these in the bag right away, and I know it's still the honeymoon, but wow. All these years I've been trying to play sexy irons and have gone through player cb after player cb. I broke down a few times and had the ci11's and Amps for a bit but the feel and sound could never seat them in the bag. I remember the first time I saw these in the store years ago and thinking, eewww offset, look at that giant top line, blah. So naive. These pings are very well built, sound great and feel powerful.

I truly like my cg16p but I have to concentrate on every shot and an off day hurts. Today, I just aimed and fired. If I put a poor swing on it I wasn't punished nearly as badly. I was afraid I'd hook them into on coming traffic from the offset, but not so. They were just there to reward my good swings, and help my bad ones. Too bad I waited this long. My dad has been raving about his i5's for years but I never listened.

I know, I should be apprehensive but because the only thing that changed in the setup was the head, I feel comfortable moving in to these. As a 14 I shouldn't have conned myself into sexy irons all these years and I wish I would have come to terms with my abilities long ago. You know what's sexy? Lower scores, and I have a feeling these g25's are going to keep getting sexier.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Last time I'll post in this thread but I played the father in law and his salty buds today and carded a 77 FTW. My first time breaking 80 and it could have been a little lower if they hadn't heckled me in to going for a par 5 when I planned on laying up. Anyway, the g25's are great, if you're reading this thread wondering if you should try them, just do it.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

• 10 months later...

After struggling.. went back to my G25s.. best ball striking round in 2 years.

I'm back to the G-Side

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I'm back to the G-Side

Welcome back! This post mirrors my experience. It's fun to experiment with players clubs but it's hard to beat the G's for all around performance.

I'm back to the G-Side

Welcome back! This post mirrors my experience. It's fun to experiment with players clubs but it's hard to beat the G's for all around performance.

Biggest thing I noticed was still getting good distance on mishits

This thread convinced me to buy a new set of G25's back when it first started.

It has been a crazy ride since then. I have gone the opposite direction and am playing the best golf of my life.

I did enjoy my time with them, as I was just getting back to the game.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 1 month later...

Still playing my G25s

It's funny.. Facebook has that "on this day" which shows you what you posted on this date each of the past years. 2 years ago I posted.. My bag is set for 2014 and it was exactly what I have now. I have changed things but came back to what I have now. Guess I should listen to myself

I have been playing these since they first came out and have no reason to switch. They feel buttery smooth on solid hits and don't punish you with feel or distance if you miss the sweet spot by a little. They provide plenty of distance and like to go high and straight. Anytime I have a bad round I am 100% confident it is the Indian and not the Arrow.

Proud owner of PING g25 5-U. They are +1/4 w/TT Dynalite Gold XP s300, ID8-White.

Fantastic. However, I am considering a switch to graphite shafts. i am looking to try Recoils or Steelfibers but I'm not sure to buy a whole new set or simply change out the shafts.

Can any one offer and advice?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I do think besides my RBZ 3 wood.. These irons are the best things I ever put in my bag. Sure.. New and shiny will always tempt you but PINGs just work

This is my 3rd year with them in the bag and they only irons I've considered switching since is my old S56 that are in my backup bag,

Any idea why the feel is so good with these? It is like butter when you pured them.

I'm glad I ordered them with weaker loft than standard so the gap with my shorter irons is better. 6 thru PW is so easy to hit.

Homerun here. I see myself in 10 years with the same irons. Can't say that about my other clubs.

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

Yes the ole epic G25 thread.

I remember jumping on the band wagon a few years ago. Got fit from the Ping rep and ordered them up.

They were easy to hit and i had my best round at one of the harder course's in my area.

As per usual, something new came along and i sold the G25s.

I liked to practise iron shots a lot and loved the feel of forged irons. Kinda went on a forged iron quest.

Fast forward to this year, i have been busy lately and havn't had much time to practise or play.

Picked up a set of older Titliest ZBs and a set of G30s. Dropped by on the way home and hit a few at the local range.

I was alternating shots between the ZB's and the G30s. As anyone here would quess the G30s were easier to hit.

I have had a few sets of the G30's and have always sold them after a few uses. Not sure if it was the offset, lefts, non forged etc.

For some reason this particular set seems to be fantastic. Point and shoot. I have only played a few rounds with them, but i've hit some iron shots that i will remember for along time.

The recent addition of some Callaway wedges and a Bettinardi studio stock 16 putter and the G30 irons i hope to stop the merry go round of club swapping.

Time will tell the tale.