G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

I have had the G 25's since they first came out and have played them ever since. they are really a great club. interestingly i just snapped the shaft off my 7 iron on the range over the weekend so i am sending it back to Ping for a new shaft.

to me the G30 is pretty much the same club with longer shafts and bumped down lofts. it too is a very good club.

a lot of my friends jumped on the G bandwagon this year and got the new irons with the core eye technology. we'll see where this goes. i want to see what Ping does with the next generation. do they stick with for eye or move to a different tune...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[quote name='boycer11' timestamp='1366931461' post='6918331'] I hit mine Sat at the range when I picked them up. Was really concerned after hitting them with the ust recoil stiff f4 shaft. Well go

Ping is awesome. I needed a matching 3 iron for the set I got in the bst forum. I love the fact that I got the lie changed, the shaft soft stepped, midsize grip, and the serial number matched to the

I am on my second year with the G25's in that time I have gone from a 12 handicap to a 6. I like the look of the new Apex16's and srixon 565's but can't justify a change.

i went from the G25 to the Z545's and loved the switch, HOWEVER, they are completely different IMO. I couldn't stand the G25's for my swing at least. They were way too light for me and i was all over the place. The Z's are a heavier iron and paired with the S300 even heavier. If you are playing the G's well, don't switch. The Z's are different.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an oldie, I stumbled upon this topic when considering a set of older, yet conforming-groove PING irons.

I picked up a set of G25 4-U w/CFS Distance shafts. Like the heads, not sure about the shafts.

Reading the early pages here, I figured that maybe trying KBS Tour shafts would work better for me.

I've got a set of KBS Tour black shafts coming and am anxious to see the difference.

• 4 months later...

I have had a set of G 25's in the bag a month now. I read the outstanding across the board reviews online and decided to snag a set.

I have been fit by PING before and know my specs(std. length-blue dot). I read that the CFS stock shafts play a little soft and because of that wanted the

R flex shaft. Being in my middle 50's and 7 iron swing speed now 75 mph I wanted a little softer regular shaft. The CFS shafts in R are 99 grams in weight and

they are perfect for me. The remind me of Nippon 950's as they are light and lively. I get my desired ball flight (i have no problem getting the ball up, and these do not balloon on me one bit) and dispersion is tight. I really can't believe how sweet these G 25's feel at impact. I put new Golf Pride Tour Velvets on the set 4-PW and could not be happier. The offset is perfect for me. slight in the short irons and generous in the long irons.I have been playing over 30 years and am currently a 12 handicap. These PING's are better than the I 5's that I bagged and loved for years. Thought I would add this post of praise if there are others that are considering the G 25's by PING. Also I still bag the awesome PING i 20 5 wood as it is as sweet as a fairway wood that is out there. I too bag the new PING Glide 2.0 wedges (gap, sand, and lob) and find them awesome. Boy was I surprised as I have been a Cleveland or Vokey guy forever.

Callaway Maverick Max 9*
TM SIM Max 15* fw
Ping i20 5 fw
TM M4 hyb
Callaway Epic hyb 
TM M5   6-gap w 
Ping Glide 2.0 - 56, 60 both SS grind
Toulon Las Vegas H7 Stroke Lab  

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

Titleist TS2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
Cobra LTD 5W Hy w/ Aldiss Rougue
PING BeNi ISI w ZZ65’s...freshly tumbled
Vokey SM’s 50, 54 & 58
TM TP Berwick
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @Jaygolf37 said:

> Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

>

> I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

> wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

>

Nice, I'm still playing mine as well. What other iron sets did you give the longest run but dump? I may try the G710s when they come out (have been interested in the hollow-body designs, maybe the i500s instead). Or, I figure the G410s would work fine as well if I just want something new (probably some improvement on mishits too based on everyone's comments).

I’m still using mine 6 years on and nothing has knocked them out the bag. I’ve tried other clubs but I don’t hit anything as consistently as my g25s. They’re starting to look a bit old now so may see if Pink Europe can refinish them for me.

Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
Ping G 17.5
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
Ping G410 4-UW
Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
Titleist Pro V1x

[i]Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Had mine in the bag since they were released. They are GREAT. I can hit any shot with them and they don't feel hard. Always looking to replace them but can't find anything to outperform them loft for loft.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

> >

> > I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

> > wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

> >

> Nice, I'm still playing mine as well. What other iron sets did you give the longest run but dump? I may try the G710s when they come out (have been interested in the hollow-body designs, maybe the i500s instead). Or, I figure the G410s would work fine as well if I just want something new (probably some improvement on mishits too based on everyone's comments).

Thanks. I’m very comfortable with my setup. I too was curious about the hollow iron / floating face irons...then a thought that that I needed to use a bladed iron again (my set of s55’s). Here are some I tried:

MP-H5’s

C300 Forged

Apex CF Forged

IE1’s

714 AP2’s

I spent the most time with the MP-H5’s. They are a wonderfully designed club, but I just got more of everything in the g25’s (distance, consistency, spin rate, etc)...especially forgiveness. These irons suit how I approach the game, and the kind of ball I use.

I FIRMLY believe that you can use a high spin ball with these irons. It has been a successful combination for me.

Titleist TS2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
Cobra LTD 5W Hy w/ Aldiss Rougue
PING BeNi ISI w ZZ65’s...freshly tumbled
Vokey SM’s 50, 54 & 58
TM TP Berwick
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @philly2kuk said:

> I’m still using mine 6 years on and nothing has knocked them out the bag. I’ve tried other clubs but I don’t hit anything as consistently as my g25s. They’re starting to look a bit old now so may see if Pink Europe can refinish them for me.

If I'm not mistaken Ping will refinish for $18 per iron.

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818H2 19*

Titleist 816H2 23*
Wilson V6's  4-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

• 4 months later...

I played i5's and i15's and have had G25's in the bag since they came out. I'm not sure that I see that much similarity between the i5 and the G25, except that maybe the i5 had a somewhat larger footprint than was normal for an i-series iron. I guess feel and sound are similar, for me the G25 is one of the best feeling cast clubs I've ever hit. i5 I found better through the rough, but quite a bit more forgiveness with the G25. The offset on the G25 isn't offensive, but a bit less in the long and mid irons would make them perfect for me. Finish is pretty bullet proof on them as well and I'm a fan of the no hosel look.

Anyone compare the G25 to the G410? I’m considering the G410 based on reviews I’ve read about it not being too chunky and know G25 has a cult following.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 9 degree with Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 wood: Cobra F9 with Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19 with Fuji Atmos Tour Spec 9X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"
Ball: Snell MTBX / Srixon Z Star XV

Heal to toe length is same other than the 410 being a tiny bit shorter in the short irons. The 410 have a little less offset and what's there is more gradually blended into the hosel and less visible.

G25's have a thicker face and sound more solid because of it. 410 sound tinny on mis hits because the face is thinner, but that thin face adds some spring effect for more distance. The 410 lofts are stronger in the long irons for more distance too.

The CFS shafts which came stock on the G25 is descending weight and the AWT 2.0 shafts for the 410 are ascending weight. Both are good shafts but quite different in feel.

Appearance wise the G25's are raw stainless steel. 410 is chrome plated over the stainless steel. The chrome adds long term durability but tends to look more tattered early in the clubs life leading to some people complaining about the finish not being durable (which is essentially untrue.)

A used set of G25's are the slam dunk value leader, assuming you can find a set that fits you. Fit is a given with 410's if you order new since they are the current model.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

That’s the best response I’ve ever gotten on here. Thank you very much!

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 9 degree with Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 wood: Cobra F9 with Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19 with Fuji Atmos Tour Spec 9X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"
Ball: Snell MTBX / Srixon Z Star XV

I played the G25 for a good amount of time, and recently picked up a set of G410s. I'm usually a forged blade snob, but have a soft spot for the G series. With all the great reviews aroubd both sets, I couldn't resist trying them out.

Bottom line, IMO, is that you cannot go wrong with either of these sets. They both represent the type of iron I would play for the rest of my life if I could only choose one set. Prior to buying the 410s, I would likely have landed with the 25s based on what I perceived to be better feel. Since getting the 410s on the course, however, I've concluded the feel/sound is absolutely lovely on anything but a bad mishit. This was a big surprise with the 410s because they sounded very loud and hard in the store.

They are long, forgiving, feel/sound great, and mask their size and forgiveness as well as anything. Pick the one that looks best to your eye and fits your budget, and go have fun!

Little update: I got out for a quick 9 this evening with the g410s. They really do make the game easier. One unexpected surprise is the wedges. I currently have the 58* Glide Stealth and a g410 U wedge. Had been planning on getting a 54* Stealth to complete the set. Currently, however, my course has a lot of thin, dormant Bermuda that makes my typical short game shots a bit dicey with my 58*. I decided to hit a number of greenside chips with the g410. I've always believed that it would be a bit hot off the face for those delicate shots, but it was really point and shoot easy. The sole performed well on those bare lies, and, man, did the grooves grab!! I might just have to add the S wedge as my "winter" wedge. Heck, I might just get the L wedge, too!

The irons were solid all day. If I have a complaint, it is that the short irons are longer than I am used to seeing. My 9 iron has typically been a solid 135 yard club. I am in the 140-145 range with this one, and need to learn to dial it down a bit. I hit several great shots with the short irons that were tracking the flag, but ended up long. Consistent distances, but longer than I planned for.

• 5 months later...

You can post a question here and see if anyone knows, but for an older club like the Diablo its unlikely you'll get an answer. You're probably going to have to pull one shaft from the set and measure it. BBGM for G25 is 1.00". What that means is that if you want your G25 7 iron to be 37" in length you will need a 36" shaft. If the shafts from the Diablos are too short you can do one of two things: i) put in a shaft extension; or ii) soft step the shafts and trim to desired length. Obviously if you soft step the shafts you'll have to purchase one additional shaft for your longest iron.