G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[quote name='boycer11' timestamp='1366931461' post='6918331'] I hit mine Sat at the range when I picked them up. Was really concerned after hitting them with the ust recoil stiff f4 shaft. Well go

Ping is awesome. I needed a matching 3 iron for the set I got in the bst forum. I love the fact that I got the lie changed, the shaft soft stepped, midsize grip, and the serial number matched to the

• 4 weeks later...

Since this tread is so big I'm sure the answer is already in here. But, I'm a little too lazy to look (ok maybe a lot lazy). The loft gaps on these clubs at the top end seem to be only 3 degrees. To those of you still using this club or those who have used it feel you get enough of a usable distance gap between say the 4,5, and 6 Irons? 

Who am I to question ping, but I notice on my irons, especially from 5(24*) to 6(26*) I don't see much difference. That said I have an easier time hitting my 6 iron than my 5.

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52/12W Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 58/8W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X 

• 1 month later...

I love the gapping on the G25's.

I also love the standard lengths of the set.  Since then, most G Series irons have increased 1/4" to 1/2" in length and for me, it makes it tough to get the right length without swing-weights getting too light. 

The sole grind is also pretty cool - gives you the best of narrow and wide sole.

There is a lot to love about the G25's.

• 2 months later...

Currently play the G25’s and am also getting the itch to switch. I’ve hit the G425 7iron on the simulator side by side with my G25 7iron quite a bit the last couple of days. I have a low 90’s swing speed and hit the ball very high. For me, the 425 carries 10 yards longer, 200vs190, with similar max height and decent angle. Spin on the 425 is a little less, 6000vs6500, and it doesn’t feel as soft. The 425 is definitely more forgiving and is also very workable, as I could move it left and right and high and low with ease.

19 hours ago, tdog said:

Currently play the G25’s and am also getting the itch to switch. I’ve hit the G425 7iron on the simulator side by side with my G25 7iron quite a bit the last couple of days. I have a low 90’s swing speed and hit the ball very high. For me, the 425 carries 10 yards longer, 200vs190, with similar max height and decent angle. Spin on the 425 is a little less, 6000vs6500, and it doesn’t feel as soft. The 425 is definitely more forgiving and is also very workable, as I could move it left and right and high and low with ease.

2* and 0.25in difference between the two irons. The G25 6i is actually close spec to the G425 7i.

They do look a very appealing GI option and if they give you the flight and feel you want fantastic, but the yardage comparisons are a non-starter really.

The G25s are up there with the S55s IMHO, as an all-time classic iron.

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

2* and 0.25in difference between the two irons. The G25 6i is actually close spec to the G425 7i.

They do look a very appealing GI option and if they give you the flight and feel you want fantastic, but the yardage comparisons are a non-starter really.

The G25s are up there with the S55s IMHO, as an all-time classic iron.

Completely agree with the G25 being an all time classic. I’ve probably bought 3 or 4 sets of irons over the last several years trying to upgrade and none has lasted more than 3 or 4 rounds before I concluded they were inferior. In fairness to the length and jacked lofts of most newer irons, my G25 was a 1/2” longer than the G425 tested and launch angles were for both clubs were in the low 21° range. I have contemplated a retro loft set, but feel it would definitely launch the ball to high. 

All time classic. Going on 8 years with mine. I think I'm finally gonna upgrade to the G425 though

PING G410 LST 10.5* - Tensei AV RAW White 65TX

Callaway BB 816 Alpha 16* - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 18* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

PING G25 5-SW - Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

PING Nome TR